1. Post #4121
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    Why do Source maps take so long to load?
    Get better PC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree x 6Useful x 5Informative x 2Disagree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #4122
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,677 Posts
    Get better PC
    I have a good PC and Source maps do take quite a bit longer than maps in other game engines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #4123
    Or Facepunch:Ep1
    last man standing aka

last man to get mass banned

I have a good PC and Source maps do take quite a bit longer than maps in other game engines.
    get a sdd and a better better pc

I have an HDD and don't really have much an issue with it. Though, they do load somewhat slowish, as the map file is outdated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4124
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,648 Posts
    u shud get an eeprom hdd and an pci-e psu sli w/ 1500 gb
    bestest stuff in de wroeld
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #4125
    Dennab
    May 2011
    564 Posts
    snip, looks like the tweet was posted already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #4126
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,055 Posts
    people don't really wet themselves over new IPs
    That's not really indicative of anything. She might simply be incontinent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #4127
    May 2011
    269 Posts
    Did you... play Half-Life 2 through Garry's Mod?
    No, I played HL2 through HL2 :P

Maybe my game is just glitchy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #4128
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,724 Posts
    Must be amusing for jeep to read all our stupid speculation

if he even does
    Are you speculating about him speculating about our speculating?

INSPECTION   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #4129
    June 2008
    5,280 Posts
    So the generic, characterless models from the first game came back as fleshed out characters in the second (Except Einstein and Scientist 04 (But maybe he's Doctor Magnusson))

Maybe the generic, characterless models from the second game will return as fleshed out characters?

Edited:

Like Manhack guy (The one with the lead pipe) or the guy who claimed to have used an AR3 and killed hunters with his bare hands?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

10. Post #4130
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,283 Posts
    I want to see Barney again in EP3, he's been absent since the end of EP1.

Well, except at the near end of EP2 after the Striders battle.
       "Good job, Gordon"   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #4131
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,454 Posts
    Are you speculating about him speculating about our speculating?

INSPECTION   
    I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a game, a game that will take you far away. You know where you hope this game will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where that game will take you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #4132
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    No, I played HL2 through HL2 :P

Maybe my game is just glitchy!
    My jeep and airboat stops too in HL2. Also the flashlight doesn't work for me, it only lights up some models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

13. Post #4133
    July 2009
    6,055 Posts
    I want to see Barney again in EP3, he's been absent since the end of EP1.

Well, except at the near end of EP2 after the Striders battle.
       "Good job, Gordon"   
    When I heard Barney's voice at the end of the Strider battle, I spent the next 30 minutes searching around for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

14. Post #4134
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,122 Posts
    So the generic, characterless models from the first game came back as fleshed out characters in the second (Except Einstein and Scientist 04 (But maybe he's Doctor Magnusson))

Maybe the generic, characterless models from the second game will return as fleshed out characters?

Edited:

Like Manhack guy (The one with the lead pipe) or the guy who claimed to have used an AR3 and killed hunters with his bare hands?
    If you go back from the next map, you find manhack guys dead with a bunch of manhacks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Friendly x 15Agree x 4Informative x 4Zing x 1Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #4135
    June 2008
    5,280 Posts
    Oh.

That makes me very sad.

Edited:

But I know for sure that I want the two Antlion cave guys to come back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #4136
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,697 Posts
    I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a game, a game that will take you far away. You know where you hope this game will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where that game will take you?
    Because Gabe's ass cheeks will always flap together

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

17. Post #4137
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,876 Posts
    On another note, you guys should check GamingHeads they'll make a Gordon Freeman statue soon... I got one statue from them (The Heavy) and a friend the Headcrab Zombie, the quality is just incredible.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

18. Post #4138

January 2012
    20 Posts

This at least proves that they can count to three
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 14Disagree x 5Agree x 3Funny x 3Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #4139
    November 2008
    1,127 Posts
    Oh.

That makes me very sad.

Edited:

But I know for sure that I want the two Antlion cave guys to come back
    So does everybody else for some reason. I dunno, they didn't really leave all that much of an impact on me, compared to everyone else I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

20. Post #4140

They hired a freelancer to do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny x 21Zing x 5Informative x 2Artistic x 1Agree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #4141
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,317 Posts

Portal 2 OST: Vol. 3
    Level 3 Sentry
    Three-Rune Blade
    Pyro in character selection screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #4142
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,842 Posts
    day 3 heavy update
    day 3 scout update
    day 3 sniper vs spy update
    day 3 soldier vs demoman update
    day 3 classless update
    day 3 engineer update
    day 3 uber update

omg day 3 pyro update????????????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 6 (list)

23. Post #4143
    November 2008
    1,127 Posts
    day 3 heavy update
    day 3 scout update
    day 3 sniper vs spy update
    day 3 soldier vs demoman update
    day 3 classless update
    day 3 engineer update
    day 3 uber update

omg day 3 pyro update????????????
    I'd be inclined to make some stupid Half-Life 3 ARG joke, but I just don't have it in me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #4144
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    And thats why you got so good frame rates even with bad performance PC's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #4145
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    No it isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #4146
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    970 Posts
    This would be the best way to announce HL3:
    In Meet the Pyro lots of subtle things indicating HL: A burning headcrab blurred out in the background, the picture of the black mesa scientists in Klieners lab etc. Then when the video reaches a climax and the pyro goes to take off his mask, he turns away from the camera. Before he turns around those creepy radio sounds from HL2 play. He turns around and reveals he is in fact gman who says 'Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job'.

Imagine the hype. Everyone would go crazy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #4147
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Useful Useful x 2 (list)

28. Post #4148
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    No it isn't.
    Do you even know anything about game engines?
    Or is it just cool to say "no"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #4149
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    Do you even know anything about game engines?
    Or is it just cool to say "no"?
    That's a logical fallacy; and yes, I do know a little about them. I know for a fact that the bsp format is not he reason for valves optimization in their games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

30. Post #4150
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,006 Posts
    That's a logical fallacy; and yes, I do know a little about them. I know for a fact that the bsp format is not he reason for valves optimization in their games.
    That's not a logical fallacy, you are claiming to have knowledge on a subject without backing up your point in the argument.

Levels load slow because you are preloading the game's information (to improve performance) and due to the fact the game used outdated technology based on the old quake engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #4151
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    That's not a logical fallacy, you are claiming to have knowledge on a subject without backing up your point in the argument.

Levels load slow because you are preloading the game's information (to improve performance) and due to the fact the game used outdated technology based on the old quake engine.
    It is a logical fallacy; he's using an ad hominem, when he says "or do you just like to say no".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #4152
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,006 Posts
    It is a logical fallacy; he's using an ad hominem, when he says "or do you just like to say no".
    "Argumentum ad hominem an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Not providing support for your argument is a fallacy in itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #4153
    July 2009
    6,055 Posts
    Guys shut the hell up and get back to talking about Half Life 3 never being released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #4154
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,012 Posts
    Half Life 3 is never gonna be released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative x 17Optimistic x 5Agree x 5Disagree x 4Funny x 1Friendly x 1Winner x 1Late x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #4155
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    "Argumentum ad hominem an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Not providing support for your argument is a fallacy in itself.
    By your definition, it is. Anyways, do you think Valve is going to make another map format for the next installment?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

36. Post #4156
    Dennab
    April 2012
    146 Posts
    This would be the best way to announce HL3:
    In Meet the Pyro lots of subtle things indicating HL: A burning headcrab blurred out in the background, the picture of the black mesa scientists in Klieners lab etc. Then when the video reaches a climax and the pyro goes to take off his mask, he turns away from the camera. Before he turns around those creepy radio sounds from HL2 play. He turns around and reveals he is in fact gman who says 'Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job'.

Imagine the hype. Everyone would go crazy.
    Or he could turn around and reveal that he is in fact, a hairy ass, and then he shits out a brick that later is revealed to contain 3 dots leading to speculation!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4157
    January 2010
    999 Posts
    I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here and say Half Life 3 will be released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 7Optimistic x 4Disagree x 2Winner x 1Artistic x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1Funny x 1Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #4158
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    97 Posts
    Half Life 3 will be released.
    To all newcomers, you have read the entire thread. You can now turn off your computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 5Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #4159
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    2,062 Posts
    What about Half-Life 2: Episode 3?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 8Optimistic x 2Dumb x 2Zing x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #4160
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,759 Posts
    From a programmer's point of view, loading the entire map and resources at once is really clever. You won't have to deal with having slow I/O and therefor having missing parts of the map/missing textures and the only requirement is having memory enough.

Streaming the content might be good but you also need to put down CPU power on the I/O which could be used for other stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)