1. Post #521
    April 2008
    517 Posts

anyone have info on this? It doesn't look THAT HL2, but I found it and it said it was.

it does sorta look like it though, at least a little.
    I remember this. It turned out to not be Half-Life related
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #522
    July 2009
    6,052 Posts
    Do you guys think we'll get new Soldier/hybrid//synth enemy types in Episode 3? The Combine super portal which was to be used to call for reinforcements was shut down and closed by Magnusson's rocket, which leaves only the Combine human hybrid soldiers on Earth and their striders and ships. And if you listened to Kleiner's speech back in Episode 1, you would hear that the Citadel's destruction is a massive kick to the balls of the remaining Combine forces on Earth, who are now completely cut off from their homeworld and competely disorganized.

If the Combine have any super soldiers, vehicles, hybrids, synths, or weapons from the Seven Hour War stashed away on Earth somewhere, then I think now would be the best time to bring them out. There's no reason not to have this because whatever is on the Borealis is seemingly the Combine's last hope of achieving victory over Earth and I'm certain they'd throw whatever they could at the resistance to prevent them from getting the stuff on the Borealis first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #523
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,406 Posts
    I liked the Combine Guard, they should have a toned down version made.

Besides, the Combine Guard seems like something the Combine would send to the Overworld, since it's likely at least as strong as their weakest unit (Hunters).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #524
    October 2011
    197 Posts
    Got announcement on http://www.halflife2.net/ steam group about some Valve Time News. Video with Alyx in it. Your suggestions about it...
    welcome to valvetime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

5. Post #525

April 2011
    231 Posts

Prophetic (hope so).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 2Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #526
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,312 Posts
    That background picture is really damn old...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

7. Post #527
    June 2011
    2,988 Posts
    Im pretty sure gameinformer will make the reveal, as they did with Dota 2 and Portal 2 and they are good friends with Valve.

And im pretty sure that a badass looking G man will be on the cover, mysteriously looking at the readers eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

8. Post #528
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,831 Posts
    I hope in the next HL installment I can find out who the fuck the GMan actually is

Edited:

is he even called GMan in the series or is it from a model name?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

9. Post #529
    February 2007
    116 Posts
    Model name. He never got named in any of the HL games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

10. Post #530
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    Was he also named gman in HL1 files?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #531
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,894 Posts
    IIRC He's reffered to as "Our Mutual Friend" by Eli at the end of EP2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #532
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    Kleiner is also their mutual friend
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 25Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #533
    February 2010
    555 Posts
    Kleiner is also their mutual friend
    Kleiner = Gman

It has to be. There's no other rational explanation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 25 (list)

14. Post #534
    May 2011
    269 Posts
    I personally suspect Barney- he's even voiced by the same person as the G-Man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #535
    GMan is purely made to be a completely ominous and unpredictable being. He is built on the image of suspense and mystery. Making "What he is" known is stupid because it completely contradicts everything he is meant to be.

It's like making Yoda from Star Wars fight. The entire symbol and point of Yoda is will power and wisdom greatly outmatches any physical strength. As cool as it would be to know what Gman is, or see Yoda fight, it entirely misses the point and just ruins it. Same with Slenderman, what makes Slenderman the perfect horror creature is that he's so impossible to predict and has impossible to understand motives that are far too invisible to human beings that no one could possibly comprehend him. It's like tasting forbidden fruit, you're not supposed to know the reason behind why it's forbidden, and as sweet as it is to taste, the results are sour in the bigger picture of it, and the joy of it isn't actually what you imagined, there is no real consequence other than learning that it would've been better if you left if a mystery. Oh and guess what, that forbidden fruit is just a regular apple, great fucking job, you ruined the fun of it by tasting it!

Though the thing with Gman is deception, from what I'm starting to theorize is that he caused the BM incident, that was entirely his doing. The combine or xen creatures aren't actually the true enemies of Gordon, they're enemies, but they are there by Gman's hand. The real enemy in Half-life could possibly be someone entirely different, and someone who was in front of you the entire time. That someone is of greater power than everyone in this entire situation however, far more subtle and casual than anyone, far more manipulative in a purely sociopathic way, as if he's trying to destroy either Earth and the combine or using Earth to destroy the combine itself, and he wants to be subtle and intelligent about it. The motives are unpredictable but I feel using Earth in order to destroy the combine is the best one. The thing about him however, is even though he is a being of greater power, he's simply a pawn, and his 'employers' are on the greatest scale in the series. One could even say his employers are the Illuminati if they want, at least, they are an Illuminati in what I see, they are always watching and have an unknowable motive of a new world order of some sort... yes, I just said the Illuminati is in the half life series, do you know why? Because obviously his interests have to be in some way a new world order, what other purpose would there be in this and why are his "employers" so unknown? Gman is simply an all seeing eye and a courier to this higher power, nothing more than a pawn.

All in all, with this theory, you end up with a pawn who is simply the image and illusion of something even greater than anything on any scale in this story, and a sociopath with unknown motives who (His employers) wants to seek something. Possibly the ultimate goal is stopping the combine from taking everything over using Earth as his tool? Or Seeking ultimate control (with what he can do already however, that seems silly), maybe he is a true psychopath who wishes for everything to burn and smolder and cry slowly until there is nothing left? Maybe he simply works for the highest bidder (Sounds silly as well however)? Or perhaps he is simply a pure figment of Gordon's imagination and Gordon is the one with sociopathic motives and doesn't even realize this (Which is just silly). Obviously he's using Gordon as a tool, but what? What could his motives POSSIBLY be?

Ultimately, GMan is nothing but a tool by Valve so that people will have something to talk about. I think GMan is a good example of a great idea. Having things like this that divert you from the actual game is what makes Half-life such an amazing story, you never know what you'll get. The reason I think they won't simply explain him is because simply saying he is from an Illuminati is far too cliche and boring, and misses the point of him.

You're not supposed to know about the Illuminati, after all. Why tell people the motives of a being with interests that are on a much grander scale than human interests? Also, just look at Deus Ex, the more you learn about the Illuminati, the less you know, why? Because their motives cannot be seen by any normal man or woman, their motives are on such a grand scale that they tower over above anything any human being can even comprehend. The illuminati is something so vague and mysterious that the more you find out, the more you realize you're chasing a ghost that isn't there, and the more you try and continue, it will always deceive you and always out smart you. Gman will always do this, because gman is something above everything else and cannot be known. All in all, the real question is, does the illuminati exist? or is it simply a figment of your imagination? It's a question humanity must ask itself as well, and it's exactly what gman is... an illusion with motives.

As for Nihilanth and his pawns being someone running from the combine, his home world is not Xen, he is simply someone who escaped the combines control, and the combine being the new controllers of Earth... this is something that makes GMan even more mysterious, and makes him look even more sociopathic. Also remember that Gman may as well been the one who led Gordon to kill breen, and possibly even the combine to kill Eli, and warned that going to the borealis would lead to "Unforeseen consquences", this makes him look like an enemy of everyone in this entire storyline. Why is he doing this? Maybe because he wants you to know that he is in power and you are just a pawn. Or maybe he's helping Gordon? And warning them not to go to the borealis? Then why would he have Gordon kill Nihilanth and why wouldn't Nihilanth work with Gordon in a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" way? But... GMan saved Alyx twice, so why is he against them and why is he using Gordon? There are so many deceptions, contradictions and impossible to read things going behind the scenes with gman that it almost seems like Valve has no idea what they're doing, however, ultimately, they do, because that is the POINT. To deceive everyone in the story, and to deceive the player into wondering about GMan's motives, which means gman is a tool to trick the player into thinking something goes one way when it goes in a completely different direction. All in all, GMan's warning doesn't have to mean that there will be another black mesa incident, no one could possibly know, so trying to figure out his motives only leads you to chasing a ghost that isn't there.

While a lot of his actions seem to contradict themselves, that's the point, you can't understand his motives, he's above all human understanding and comprehension, even when he stabs you in the back, it's impossible to understand why... but understand this, once his unknown goal with you is done, you will likely smolder and die under his incomprehensible powers as some expendable flesh being. Do not underestimate the Illuminati that is the Gman.

Wow... I'm fucking batshit crazy...

TL;DR Gman is a representation of a sociopathic Illuminati with unforeseeable motives and everyone else is also his own pawn.
    To add to this threads content, this is from the other thread. (My post)

I personally suspect Barney- he's even voiced by the same person as the G-Man.
    lol what? That's completely stupid...

It's obviously Dog, you guys are just too dumb to figure it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #536

April 2011
    231 Posts
    After you kill Gman at the end of HL3, Hman appears and put you in stasis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Funny x 41Dumb x 3Optimistic x 1Winner x 1Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #537
    April 2010
    789 Posts
    Theory: In the first five minutes of Ep3, Gordon will be killed/thrown in stasis by the G-Man. Otis will be the main character, and Gordon will never be mentioned again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

18. Post #538
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,854 Posts
    Ep3 turns out to be a new L4D campaign.

Set in the past?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #539
    Theory: In the first five minutes of Ep3, Gordon will be killed/thrown in stasis by the G-Man. Otis will be the main character, and Gordon will never be mentioned again.
       Gordon dies of terminal brain cancer and otis dies of diabetes   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #540
    May 2011
    269 Posts
    I was just being silly :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #541
    July 2007
    343 Posts
    Half-Life 3 should be all the Half-Life games told from G-Man's perspective. You just wait in places until you see Gordon, then leave so he can't catch you. Levels vary from 5-25 minutes each.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 8 (list)

22. Post #542
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    I like to keep it simple.

"The G-Man(Or 'Government Man' as referred to by Shepard.) is an inter-dimensional contractor. His client is never told or shown, and his agenda is never hinted at. He is a plot piece for moving the story forward and allowing direct control of the the path of the protagonist."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #543
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    970 Posts
    No, diabeetus.
       Gordon dies of terminal brain cancer and otis dies of diabetes   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    May 2009
    1,819 Posts
    My 2cents:
    > valve kept working on the next half life game, but as the interest in the episodes grew much weaker compared to hl2 they trashed the hl2 ep 3 in 2007-2008 and started developing a new game engine and hl3 is gonna be the first game to run it.

>they concentrated on portal l4d and tf2 to build an even larger fanbase pool so when hl3 hits the deck its gonna be a blast.The steam servers will collapse once again as they did when hl2 came out, with a huge number of people downloading it.

>hl3 will have a dozen of mindblowing innovations so thats why it's kept so damn secret and nobody talks about it.in the meanwhile the hype gets bigger and bigger with everyone speculating on it.

>does anyone know what is gabe newell's favorite valve-made game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    My 2cents:
    > valve kept working on the next half life game, but as the interest in the episodes grew much weaker compared to hl2 they trashed the hl2 ep 3 in 2007-2008 and started developing a new game engine and hl3 is gonna be the first game to run it.
    Why the hell do people keep saying this?

Source was designed to be modular and greatly upgradable, I doubt we'll be seeing a new engine in a while. A new Source branch, maybe, but not a brand new engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

26. Post #546
    April 2011
    480 Posts

>does anyone know what is gabe newell's favorite valve-made game?
    DoD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

27. Post #547
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,406 Posts
    Source still has a lot of limitations, not to say that can't be improved upon though.

Edited:

Probably the most jarring limitation that they've gotten away with in recent times, is the need to stop to load the next map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #548
    October 2011
    197 Posts
    I like to keep it simple.

"The G-Man(Or 'Government Man' as referred to by Shepard.) is an inter-dimensional contractor. His client is never told or shown, and his agenda is never hinted at. He is a plot piece for moving the story forward and allowing direct control of the the path of the protagonist."
    if i spawn npc_gman in the end of ep2 will the story continue?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,689 Posts
    Source? I'd love to see a new DoD, especially if it was on a new engine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,497 Posts
    Speaking of G-man, I absolutely love how his speeches are written. They're in such a high contrast to any other character in the game.

I hope they deliver the same amount of amazing writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

31. Post #551
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,045 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #552
    November 2008
    1,127 Posts
    How many times are you guys going to try this before you realize that this shit isn't going to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

33. Post #553
    June 2010
    5,655 Posts
    After you kill Gman at the end of HL3, Hman appears and put you in stasis.
    And by the power of Grayskull, He-Man will rescue you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #554

January 2012
    31 Posts
    That background picture is really damn old...
    To be fair, there's not a lot of Episode Three/Half-Life 3 concept art to use as a basis.

Source still has a lot of limitations, not to say that can't be improved upon though.

Edited:

Probably the most jarring limitation that they've gotten away with in recent times, is the need to stop to load the next map.
    During his visit to NYU, when the lecturer commented on Valve's loading screens, Wolpaw stated that "Unfortunately, we have loading screens at all. We're gonna fix that eventually." Data streaming is all but assured to be in with the upcoming Source overhaul.

Edit: I'm not sure what there is to disagree with. You can count the pieces of Episode Three concept art on one hand, there's a direct statement from Wolpaw stating that Valve are working (or will work) on removing the need for loading screens, and we know they are working on fundamentally improving Source; not the least because of the curious final sentence of this page, which was added when said page was updated last year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #555
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,292 Posts
    The only game I've ever played that hasn't had a single loading screen (except when you first load the game), is Dead Space 2. I thought it was relatively new technology, but it'd be really nice to see in a Source environment. Would be interesting to see how that affects multiplayer gameplay, regarding map size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #556
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,045 Posts
    The only game I've ever played that hasn't had a single loading screen (except when you first load the game), is Dead Space 2. I thought it was relatively new technology, but it'd be really nice to see in a Source environment. Would be interesting to see how that affects multiplayer gameplay, regarding map size.
    Dear esther was really big and it only had 4 loading screens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #557

January 2012
    4 Posts
    even Doom 4 have now screenshots...Episode 3 where are you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Chile Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #558
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Doom 3 was released in the same year Half-Life 2 was

Coincidence?

I think not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #559
    May 2011
    269 Posts
    Does anyone like to explore the maps and try to interact with objects? I like throwing stuff across the room whilst the characters are talking and the hidden tunnel in Route Kanal that has a zombie torso in it.

Also whenever I play the HL2 levels before Black Mesa East, I always try to press g for my gravity gun and wonder why it doesn't show up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #560
    January 2010
    999 Posts
    Dear esther was really big and it only had 4 loading screens.
    You can get pretty big maps, or at least maps that appear very big, in source, but there is a hardcoded limit in the current version of the engine. Dear Esther made heavy use of 3D skyboxes to create the appearance of larger levels, as do many of the levels in half life 2 and beyond.

It would be cool to see source with zero loading screens, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)