1. Post #1801
    This title is totally OVERKILL!
    November 2011
    8,540 Posts
    On its Flickr page, it claims that it was taken at the Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. I think the filters on it really give it this Fallout 3-ish look that makes it look like a game.

Here's a more "real" looking picture of the same scene.
    It's not so much filters as it is reeaaally good HDR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

2. Post #1802
    It's not so much filters as it is reeaaally good HDR.
    Or really bad depending on how you look at it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 15Zing Zing x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1803
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    1,463 Posts
    I really want to know what's going on in that gif.
    They heated the living FUCK out of it, and then it was raining, which cooled it down. Look up the Gay-Lussac law.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #1804
    The best headhumper of the galaxy.
    January 2012
    2,936 Posts
    About HL3, I thought it was gonna be announced on E3 2012 and released on November 3, 2012.

Why November 3rd? Because that's Gabe's 50th birthday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 9Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #1805
    November 2009
    2,513 Posts
    guys, its so obvious. They said there will be a annoucement with three on E3.
    its VAC3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1806
    July 2009
    6,049 Posts
    And then it turns out that the announcement at E3 is "Hey, we're here at E3 with CS:GO and Dota 2 stuff."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #1807
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,145 Posts

Typical reaction of everyone in this thread when HL3 is announced/released
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 11 (list)

8. Post #1808
    October 2007
    1,248 Posts
    Mine will probably be worse than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #1809

January 2012
    31 Posts
    Gabe confirmed it was real.

http://i.imgur.com/d7jMR.jpg

But still optimistic. He seemed very sarcastic in the e-mail(or I'm just desperate maybe). We must keep hope.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that e-mail, but not familiar with Brett Cunningham. Hell, he has "Cunning" in his name -- subterfuge may very well be in his nature! :p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #1810
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    408 Posts

Hey, where did you find my parents camera? ;-;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

11. Post #1811
    This title is totally OVERKILL!
    November 2011
    8,540 Posts
    Or really bad depending on how you look at it
    For being indoors it's pretty damn good.

Otherwise yeah, I see what you mean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

12. Post #1812
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    Is that a photo ? This really looks like it's taken from a video game for some reason.
    yeah it's a photo, he's really good at getting that silky look in photos

his HDR photos looks a lot like something from a new build of the source engine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #1813
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    97 Posts

If the eventual next build of source looks like this, I'll chop my balls off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #1814
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    Despite the extra fancy stuff that has been added to L4D2 and Portal 2, today's Source still looks so much the same as it did in 2001, in my opinion. That HDR stuff up there is way over the top, but I definitely wouldn't mind Source being given a major overhaul.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8 (list)

15. Post #1815
    Despite the extra fancy stuff that has been added to L4D2 and Portal 2, today's Source still looks so much the same as it did in 2001, in my opinion. That HDR stuff up there is way over the top, but I definitely wouldn't mind Source being given a major overhaul.
    2001 ?
    So you pretty much mean:

I think you need glasses.
    2012:

All source needs is some updated shaders (like phong / specular on brushes), a set of nice new high-er resolution textures, and some good art direction (Portal 2)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 22Agree x 9Disagree x 2Funny x 2Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #1816
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    Wowoww never mind what I just said about 2001. You're right.
    Still, my point still stands. I think Source looks a little outdated.

Edited:

Jesus christ that slow-motion screaming made my ears bleed. I sure hope he isn't bothering the fuck out of everyone on xbl
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

17. Post #1817
    Wowoww never mind what I just said about 2001. You're right.
    Still, my point still stands. I think Source looks a little outdated.

Edited:

Jesus christ that slow-motion screaming made my ears bleed. I sure hope he isn't bothering the fuck out of everyone on xbl
    Source CAN look dated because the content is so over-used, it gets bland (Trust me, I'm a mapper: I know)

But that doesn't mean that suddenly looks so much better, in fact the only thing in there that looks somewhat good, is the reflection on the nanosuit, the rest looks bland and washed out too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #1818
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    Pretty much all about the content. Dear Esther should be a prime example of this, or a dozen of other Source projects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #1819
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Someone should have a go at recreating a scene from crysis in source using ported assets. See how far a modder can really take source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #1820
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    Someone should have a go at recreating a scene from crysis in source using ported assets. See how far a modder can really take source.
    These aren't Crysis assets, but it looks pretty damn close:

From the Jurassic life mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 25Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1821
    December 2009
    8,804 Posts
    How about that first scene right after you crash land and see out towards the laguna with the sunrise n all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

22. Post #1822
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    This isn't Crysis assets, but it looks pretty damn close:

From the Jurassic life mod.
    This is what I mean, you'd guess this is Cryengine at first sight, but it really is Source. I guess I was just vague, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

23. Post #1823
    Dear Esther is the most beautiful use I've seen of Source as of yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

24. Post #1824
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,646 Posts
    The more i think about it, the more it feels like CSGO is just an engine test for something a lot bigger.
    /optimist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 17Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #1825
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,002 Posts
    I'd love something among the lines of Dynamic Volumetric Lighting on Source. Like in the STALKER games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Pakistan Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #1826
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    395 Posts
    The more i think about it, the more it feels like CSGO is just an engine test for something a lot bigger.
    /optimist
    That would be kinda stupid after all the work they put in it.. But still.. CS:S was released just before HL2 and I saw CS:S as a graphics "show-off" so to say. I had HL2 in mind every time I played CS:S before the release of HL2. Didn't you? Or am I really that much of a fanboy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #1827
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Source CAN look dated because the content is so over-used, it gets bland (Trust me, I'm a mapper: I know)
    Why don't you actually look at what the mappers in the mappers secton are doing with the engine before coming out with such a blanket statement.

My only grip with source is that the editor is bodged together with modules being tacked on rather than properly implemented. Otherwise, it is a solid engine that will run well on pretty much any computer, it has reasonable graphics, physics engine intergration that is alright (and certainly better than console physics).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #1828
    December 2011
    22 Posts
    Why don't you actually look at what the mappers in the mappers secton are doing with the engine before coming out with such a blanket statement.

My only grip with source is that the editor is bodged together with modules being tacked on rather than properly implemented. Otherwise, it is a solid engine that will run well on pretty much any computer, it has reasonable graphics, physics engine intergration that is alright (and certainly better than console physics).
    source is an amazing engine, from the player point of view, but a horrible one in a developer point of view. You have to know A LOT to make something well in Source ( I have over 1200 hours using hammer, and still don't know that much ), meanwhile in cryengine a random guy who doesn't know anything about level design spams trees and bushes around a mountain and it looks good...

The problem about source is not the content, is how you make the content :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #1829
    June 2010
    6,311 Posts
    So the gist is that Source mainly "just" needs to be streamlined after all its updates and otherwise it could, with some effort, be upscaled to meet contemporary "high end" standards? Did I deduce that correctly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

30. Post #1830
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,044 Posts
    Whattheef hurry i posted a topic on steam forums about new steam! Hurry post it here!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

31. Post #1831

January 2012
    31 Posts
    /optimist
    The new shaders in GO, whilst used sparingly, are fantastic; for instance, as far as player equipment is concerned, metal actually looks like metal.

Edit: I'm also fond of the broken glass shader seen in Portal 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

32. Post #1832
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,327 Posts

Just replace Halo Reach with HL3 and the Xbox 360 with a PC and this will be the typical reaction of everyone in this thread when they first play HL3.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #1833
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,338 Posts
    Whattheef hurry i posted a topic on steam forums about new steam! Hurry post it here!
    What are you talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

34. Post #1834
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    231 Posts

I'm getting a bit of an Uncharted vibe from this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

35. Post #1835
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,044 Posts
    I emailed asking what the 10' UI is

Edited:

Really can't think of what else it would be than Big Picture though, what else do we even know that Valve are doing?
    Gabe replied telling me it's the Big Picture UI which we already knew, but I guess this means the "no announcements" email is real
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #1836

January 2012
    31 Posts
    Gabe replied telling me it's the Big Picture UI which we already knew, but I guess this means the "no announcements" email is real
    That's specious reasoning considering, while not used in any official capacity (as far as I'm aware, anyway), 10' UI has become synonymous with BPM. That is to say, it's just another shorthand term for "Valve's Steam interface intended for use from the couch."

Out of curiosity, why did you to inquire as to the veracity of 10' UI referring to BPM and not request confirmation that the increasingly-accepted e-mails of recent are in fact legit? On one hand, you could've hit two birds with one stone; however, responding to rumours isn't exactly Valve's forte, so, when desiring a reply, it does make sense to avoid such topics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1837
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,482 Posts

Holy shit, I put that on 2.0x speed (html5 youtube) and I literally now have 10 ribs decorating my room, I never laughed so hard in my life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #1838
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    You know you did a good job as a developer when a player feels a bit of an emotion when a bunch of pixels, polygons and some recorded sounds dies. I honestly shed tears when Eli died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

39. Post #1839

Wasn't trying to upset, but I DO spend quite a large time in the mapping section, you can check my profile on FP even, and I posted recently-ish in the texture mega-thread: And you can also check my portfolio on my website.

And it DOES look bland if people re-use content from source and older games: you have to get real creative to make it look fresh, a good example is F.Kalkman's maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1840
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Late Late x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)