1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    Yes an Pod HD bean will be mine soon.
    I thought they stopped making the beans, and all the HD series stuff was footpedal or rackmount only.

Edited:

Oh, weird, they did go back to the bean. Wonder why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,139 Posts
    I thought they stopped making the beans, and all the HD series stuff was footpedal or rackmount only.

Edited:

Oh, weird, they did go back to the bean. Wonder why.
    It was popular
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

3. Post #163
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Picked up a new acoustic. I found after a while of playing, the action is a bit too high for my liking. The neck appears to be fine though. I've read that I could file the saddle down a tad to improve the action. Is this common practice, is it safe? Will it ruin my intonation?

4. Post #164
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,526 Posts
    Any of you guys know of some program I could use where I can make a drum and bass track to play along with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,948 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #166
    June 2010
    3,622 Posts
    The fretless design looks really nice. I'd never be able to play it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #167
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    that fretless guitar sounds like an analogue synth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,948 Posts
    A lot of people I know who play fretless instruments say it's easier than fretted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    A lot of people I know who play fretless instruments say it's easier than fretted.
    Having that amount of freedom honestly only allows you to have many more ways to recover from mistakes and bad notes. It also allows you to compensate when a string is out of tune in the middle of a song.

10. Post #170
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    Picked up a new acoustic. I found after a while of playing, the action is a bit too high for my liking. The neck appears to be fine though. I've read that I could file the saddle down a tad to improve the action. Is this common practice, is it safe? Will it ruin my intonation?
    as far as I know, it won't affect the intonation. it's the most common way of adjusting action on an acoustic, after the truss rod (make sure the neck has the right amount of relief before changing the saddle though). either way, unless you're 100% on what you're what you're doing, take it to a luthier or guitar shop to do it for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    fretless is easier for lead work tbh, once you get past the different feel of pressing straight down to the fingerboard instead of the frets it's not any harder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    "For I have dined on honey dew..."
    May 2010
    1,238 Posts
    just learnt closer to the heart by rush, determined to learn 2112 in its 20 minute entirety.

really wish i had a 12 string acoustic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Anyone here have a run-in with a particular model instrument that is generally known for being shitty, but that particular guitar sounded amazing?

My friend has an Ibanez acoustic guitar. Most acoustic Ibanez guitars sound like they're made of plastic, but his really surprised me.

14. Post #174
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Anyone here have a run-in with a particular model instrument that is generally known for being shitty, but that particular guitar sounded amazing?

My friend has an Ibanez acoustic guitar. Most acoustic Ibanez guitars sound like they're made of plastic, but his really surprised me.
    synsonics is known for sounding and playing like shit but but mine is pretty amazing

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts

My dad has an Ibanez acoustic and it's awesome. Granted, it's like 30 years old or something and made in Japan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,169 Posts
    I don't remember having posted my guitar in here yet

This is one of the only images I have of it at the moment, and it's from the guy I bought it from last year.
    I'll see if I can scavenge a camera, but until then:

Pre-war style art deco. I love this thing.

I use it for slide, but I'm not terribly good at the moment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I want that thing so bad holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,047 Posts

This is one of the only images I have of it at the moment, and it's from the guy I bought it from last year.

My god that thing is sexy.
    Where'd you get it from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #179
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,441 Posts
    just learnt closer to the heart by rush, determined to learn 2112 in its 20 minute entirety.

really wish i had a 12 string acoustic.
    I want an electric 12 string with a piezo

20. Post #180
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i want a 12 string rickenbacker
    and then begin my new life in a Byrds cover band

21. Post #181
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,645 Posts

That thing is fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

22. Post #182
    "For I have dined on honey dew..."
    May 2010
    1,238 Posts
    just learnt like the first 5 minutes of La Villa Strangiato, i feel like such a boss now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,169 Posts
    My god that thing is sexy.
    Where'd you get it from?
    eBay
    I'm in the UK, so this is the second resonator I've ever seen in real life

The company is Republic, which is a place in Texas. It usually costs around $700 to the UK when you take import tax into the equation, but I was somehow lucky and got it for about 350 second hand, which is something like $550.
    It took quite a few months of staking out eBay and the internet to find a decent one, the only damage to it is that the company logo was accidentally polished off by the previous guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #184
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,526 Posts
    Welp, I don't know how I could've been that big of a dumbass to forget that apple's garageband does what I need to do.
    And it was on my laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    I took my friend's Explorer today and cleaned it up, changed strings, etc.

I felt a little bit sick after seeing the amount of crap that came off of it. Glad I had some latex gloves. Dear god. I took some photos before and after, so I'll upload them soon. I swear I was the first one to clean it properly.

Edited:

oh god it's 3 years old and I was the first to clean it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts

I felt a little bit sick after seeing the amount of crap that came off of it. Glad I had some latex gloves. Dear god. I took some photos before and after, so I'll upload them soon. I swear I was the first one to clean it properly.

Edited:

I feel like I've betrayed my PRS because I haven't cleaned it in 3 months (I clean when I change strings)
    God damn man 3 years?!

27. Post #187
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I fixed up a friend's Les Paul and I spent an hour getting all the fingershit off the back of the neck alone. He'd been told in the past that it was never gonna come off or get better, but fuck those guys
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #188
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    Well this is gonna be image heavy but it shows the extent of horrificness.

Before:

After:

Edited:

it's still not perfect, but compared to what it was, it's spotless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #189
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I really should have documented some of the shit I've cleaned up. Some of those things should have been in quarantine

30. Post #190
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    apparently this guy's other guitar is even worse than that, not cleaned in 4 years minimum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #191
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I'm pretty obsessive about cleaning when I do it. When I do I tend to pretty much dismantle the guitar and get shit out from under the pickup rings and the bridge, under the cavity and truss rod covers, under the knobs and stuff like that. When I restring it takes me a couple of hours

32. Post #192
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    good! a clean guitar is always good, and spotless is even better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    fender guitars look better when grimy so i don't clean mine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I make a differentiation between beaten up and grimy. IMO a grimy guitar plays like a shit, but there's always a way to make a guitar look sympathetically grimy without actually being a turd to play

35. Post #195
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    my guitar just has a lot of pick residue and scratches from being moved around.
    though because it has super-high action and thick strings most people say it plays like a turd anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Yeah that sort of thing doesn't bother me too much (though I'd still probably think your guitars play like shit ), I just hate having a gunky fretboard or neck. Can't hack it

37. Post #197
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

Edited:

you should see my dynabass. about a year ago I just cleaned it for the first time in 26 years

Edited:

though because it has super-high action and thick strings most people say it plays like a turd anyway.
    I love playing high action and thick strings and I'm pretty much the only one who gets it. mine's almost a quarter inch at the end of the fingerboard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,526 Posts
    story of my life.
    .60 to .13 freaks people out and action so high I occasionally go underneath all the other strings when playing up high.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

39. Post #199
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i never bend more than a semi-note so i don't have that issue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,007 Posts
    you should see my dynabass. about a year ago I just cleaned it for the first time in 26 years
    there are no words
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)