1. Post #1281
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    well yeah for bass definitely, going too small makes it sound like mud doesn't it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1282
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    my 15 watt is pretty crazy actually, it gets almost as loud as my 50 watt peavey

Edited:

it rattles the windows if I use it in my house.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #1283
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,359 Posts
    my 15 watt is pretty crazy actually, it gets almost as loud as my 50 watt peavey

Edited:

it rattles the windows if I use it in my house.
    I'd turn the roland up to full volume, gain, ect if I had earplugs. Don't wanna kill what is left of my hearing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #1284
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,446 Posts
    Oh fuck, yep. There it is. That's exactly what I was looking for.

God damn this sucks.

Edited:

Well on the topic of tube vs solid state... I always love knowing that if I were to buy a 60's fender amp, it would've been assembled by a person who had learned how to do that task and put effort into it. I know it really may sound dumb, but that drives some kind of an emotion in me to buy that amp. You guys probably think I'm nuts, but this music I listen to has made me a lot more spiritual regarding life. Also the whole 6 tabs of acid first time trip really helped..Not only that, but if I were to compare a tube vs solid state for what I want in my tone, I can't create a thick mid and bass with percussive treble like I can on my boogie. It's like a wall of sound that fills up any room. I usually slam the preamp and then slowly bring up the power tubes until it's just bearable for people to listen to. I always roll off the volume and tones on my guitar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1285
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,527 Posts
    I love my amp, and I love it because it can't decide what it is.

It is a 1991 Tubeworks MosValve RT-2100, it has a tube preamp section and a mosfet power amp. A lot of tone searchers kill for these amps because mosfets were only used for a short time as transistors became cheaper to make an amp with. It has that nice warmth and response thanks to the tube preamp.

B.K. Butler was a nut, I don't know how he did it but the clean channel has a master and volume which is tweaked right will overdrive the pre amp tubes and actually create an overdriven channel with the preamp tubes. I have never heard of that, but what I love more is this amp was designed to mimic like an early 70's marshall amp with a boost in front of it. And it does have that nice fuzz type growl if you push it, and a spring reverb.

Vox is using the same idea with their valvetronics series but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #1286
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,632 Posts
    I like what GK did with the fusion amplifiers, the tube preamp section on them can sound very nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #1287
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    21,970 Posts
    Turns out I think I might buy a Line 6. SHOCKING. The LD400 to be precise. Nothing comes close to that power for the price and the 2 models that I'd use (Rock and Brit, Ampeg and Marshall respectively) sound pretty good. 2x10, tweeter, castor wheels, line out, headphone out, 3.5mm in. Good features, and it's less than 300.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #1288
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    I'm looking for a way to power my pedals without batteries. I have two pedals right now, and both need 9V DC, and one of them has specified amperage. Should I buy two adapters, or get one of those power stations? I figure a power station thing is more practical for when I get more pedals. What hould I look for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

9. Post #1289
    Viking Chest hair simulator 2012
    June 2009
    2,239 Posts
    Turns out I think I might buy a Line 6. SHOCKING. The LD400 to be precise. Nothing comes close to that power for the price and the 2 models that I'd use (Rock and Brit, Ampeg and Marshall respectively) sound pretty good. 2x10, tweeter, castor wheels, line out, headphone out, 3.5mm in. Good features, and it's less than 300.
    If you can get a pod HD500. They're amazing for the price.

10. Post #1290
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,798 Posts
    I'm looking for a way to power my pedals without batteries. I have two pedals right now, and both need 9V DC, and one of them has specified amperage. Should I buy two adapters, or get one of those power stations? I figure a power station thing is more practical for when I get more pedals. What hould I look for?
    I have this thing called a one spot, lets you plug in five pedals to one outlet. It's really convenient. I only have the cables to power five pedals, but the website for the product says it supports up to twenty pedals.

11. Post #1291
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,632 Posts
    Artec make an excellent multivoltage multioutlet power board with removable cables.
    http://artecsound.com/effect/spb-8.htm
    Also allows you to undervolt analogue pedals which can produce some fun sounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #1292
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    21,970 Posts
    If you can get a pod HD500. They're amazing for the price.
    I'm buying the amp cause I need a more powerful one

it is actually a legitimate choice. it really isn't a bad amp at all.

Edited:

my mistake, it isn't an HD. it's an LD. LD400 Pro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #1293
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,371 Posts
    I want an ibanez ts9 so much, also i am getting a free first act () bass from a friend, all it needs is strings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #1294
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    Artec make an excellent multivoltage multioutlet power board with removable cables.
    http://artecsound.com/effect/spb-8.htm
    Also allows you to undervolt analogue pedals which can produce some fun sounds.
    Looks great, and as I found one for pretty cheap I can't really be bothered to look for something better value. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #1295
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,798 Posts
    Today I took the opportunity to play a probably 40-50 year old Japanese-made Ventura Les Paul copy. My neighbor inherited it from his dad who passed away a while ago. He brought it over and let me play it for a while and man that thing was Quality. The definition of quality. I now hate every electric guitar I own in comparison to that thing. It practically plays itself. You know that moment when you first pick up and plug in a high quality guitar and it's like you don't even have to try, you can just play anything at all, and everything just sounds amazing? That happened.

I've played a few classic American-made guitars as well, and the build quality of this old Japanese-made guitar is easily in the same class, better than a couple of them in fact. And it far and away surpassed the quality of the recently manufactured American-made guitars I've played.

It just trips me out how back in the 60's, when shit was made by hand and with care, even the lowest level shit, in this case some cheap imported Japanese guitar copy, are of higher quality than what we make in America today.

I can't find any pictures of this model on the internet. I wanted to look up and learn more about it, maybe find out how much it's worth and where I can get one of my own, but I've only found similar Venturas, not this specific model. There's something similar on Ebay for $450, but with some replaced parts, I want one all original like the one I played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #1296
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,394 Posts
    Was it a univox?

17. Post #1297
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,798 Posts
    No, it said Ventura on it, that I know for sure. The serial number on the back doesn't really help in identifying it.

But it has the same Gibson open book headstock that I think Ventura was subject to lawsuit over. Except it just said Ventura on it instead of Gibson.

18. Post #1298
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,394 Posts
    No, it said Ventura on it, that I know for sure. The serial number on the back doesn't really help in identifying it.

But it has the same Gibson open book headstock that I think Ventura was subject to lawsuit over. Except it just said Ventura on it instead of Gibson.
    Sorry, didn't read it well enough :s

I just thought Univox because they made lawsuit guitars, and I read Ventura as Ventures, as in this:

Oh I found one:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #1299
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,798 Posts
    Wow, awesome. Yeah it looks pretty much like that one, except none of the hardware was gold, and the pickups were an open design.

20. Post #1300
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,446 Posts
    That's why I'll never sell my 1970's tokai strat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1301
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,371 Posts
    Guess the plug for the guitar cable needs to be resoldered and it also is missing a nut, still should be a pretty cheap fix

edit: all the wiring in this thing is pretty fucktarded and half-assed, yay first act

what would be good bass strings to throw on it if i want to play in D or C?

22. Post #1302
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,963 Posts
    I prefer solid state amps with piles of headroom. But I'm a bass player and I like to get the sound before the amp.
    On that note- Gallien-Krueger Amplification 2. VST plugin, models 3 GK amps, the 800RB, MB150, and 2001RB.

...what the fuck am I supposed to do with the 800RB? It doesn't sound like anything! The other two, okay, I can use them and their related cab models to get specific jazz/rock tones, but the 800RB is like using my friggin' mixer for EQ and gain. I get when people think GK it's the first thing that comes to mind, but it's also friggin' pointless in an all-digital context. We don't need devices that provide good, clean power and EQ in a setting where both are available in limitless supply.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1303
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,458 Posts
    Just wanted to show you guys a few pics of my brothers latest guitar he built, we shipped it out this afternoon.

He calls it Hades.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

24. Post #1304
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    21,643 Posts
    That finish is ultra sexy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

25. Post #1305
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,359 Posts
    What is that top?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #1306
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    Granite?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1307
    May 2011
    3,815 Posts
    it's fossilized Jarrah mixed with marble for extra sustain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #1308
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    I had no fucking clue dont laugh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1309
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,458 Posts
    It's Buckeye Burl

30. Post #1310
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    11,799 Posts
    it's fuckin rad that's what it is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #1311
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,271 Posts
    I tuned one of my guitars to B, F#, B, G, B, E aka "Karnivool Tuning" again. God I love it.

32. Post #1312
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,371 Posts
    I tuned one of my guitars to B, F#, B, G, B, E aka "Karnivool Tuning" again. God I love it.
    half Drop B, half standard, or lower?

33. Post #1313
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    half Drop B, half standard
    It's that. It's a really fun tuning, plus Karnivool songs are fun anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1314
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    14,995 Posts
    So, God forbid my THIRD Thunderbird exchange doesn't come in working condition, I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...ic-bass-guitar

I can grab it for $250 at my local GC. Opinions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #1315
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    save your money, hell even if you drop playing bass at least you will have something that wont lose its resale value if its in good nick. Dont buy cheap gear if your really going to spend time on something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #1316
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,428 Posts
    Poorly built cheap instruments are the plague.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

37. Post #1317
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    14,995 Posts
    Poorly built cheap instruments are the plague.
    Yeah, they've been plaguing me for the past few months.

What would you guys recommend for a "not cheap/poorly built" four string bass then? Or even a five string.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

38. Post #1318
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts

What would you guys recommend for a "not cheap/poorly built" four string bass then? Or even a five string.
    w/e you think your budget is now $250 wait until its $450. Look at second hand good bass guitars Fender jazz, hell I hear the squire range are good.
    Just keep saving it will do you no harm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1319
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,045 Posts

I own a "cheapish" Squire P-Bass (with a J-Bass neck) and I love it. Sounds good, plays well and is also well made. It even was set up properly when I got it, although I bought a showroom model so maybe the store had set it up. I think Squire Basses are generally well received as cheap but good basses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

40. Post #1320
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    14,995 Posts
    w/e you think your budget is now $250 wait until its $450. Look at second hand good bass guitars Fender jazz, hell I hear the squire range are good.
    Just keep saving it will do you no harm.
    I can go up to $500 right now.

E: I don't really like the way Fender/Squire basses look. I'll look into them on recommendation but probably less so than others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events