1. Post #1441
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    so I got that bass from my tutor today. I thought I would take some quick photos to document 20 YEARS of fuck knows what on this thing.

I literally felt a little sick when I saw this thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #1442
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    OOH LET ME PLAY

Stainless steel strings and nickel fretwire were the standard until about 8 years ago. This bass has been rocking blue steels since '85

Edited:

bonus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1443
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    Fuck you Cubase and fuck you Zoom!

Damn BSOD from bad Zoom R16 drivers messing up everything. It broke iTunes, and then it broke Opera, balalahha I can't even record with it without it crashing everything RAH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1444
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    So, isn't a particular bass model from Hayman rare only because it was a POS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

5. Post #1445
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,322 Posts
    stop using itunes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1446
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    stop using itunes
    I'm not using it normally, I just use it for an iPhone 3G (which is a POS) my brother gave me. I'd only buy music physically, if at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

7. Post #1447
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Fuck you Cubase and fuck you Zoom!

Damn BSOD from bad Zoom R16 drivers messing up everything. It broke iTunes, and then it broke Opera, balalahha I can't even record with it without it crashing everything RAH
    works fine for me! cubase studio 5 worked and cubase 6 works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #1448
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    works fine for me! cubase studio 5 worked and cubase 6 works
    It's Cubase 4 LE, I've only found 1 person in existence other than me have the exact same problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #1449
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    It's Cubase 4 LE, I've only found 1 person in existence other than me have the exact same problem.
    Same program, I just have a problem with playback. It probably is my computer and its limited memory.

10. Post #1450
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,045 Posts
    Cubase LE has always been shit, though.
    Try a demo of another DAW and see if the problem goes away. Reaper or FL Studio or something. That or return the Zoom if you can and buy something else a bit less...iffy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1451
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    Yeah, I'll probably check Reaper out

Edited:

Oh, also I had to reinstall Dropbox too because my computer BSOD about 8-10 times in one day.

And I know it's some problem with the Zoom now because I noticed it says "zrm16audiousbsys.exe" when I Blue screen. It's actually been stable today so far, so I guess I'll see. Oh, and HalionOne doesn't even work at all because Steinberg broke it in their "patch". Oh well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #1452
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Yeah, I'll probably check Reaper out

Edited:

Oh, also I had to reinstall Dropbox too because my computer BSOD about 8-10 times in one day.
    Holy shit I didn't even know it was possible to have that happen without an actual memory/HDD problem lol

13. Post #1453
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,045 Posts
    Holy shit I didn't even know it was possible to have that happen without an actual memory/HDD problem lol
    Audio drivers tend to work in kernel mode to improve speed...but with the side effect that something shitty happening on that level is disastrous. Throw in the fact that the average driver is coded by a baboon on speed, and it's a huge cause of BSOD's.

Edited:

Oh yeah should probably talk about guitars hahaha

I want a pair of Q-Tuners so bad, even though I have no legitimate use for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #1454
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    ASIO4ALL and RealTek erryday

15. Post #1455
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    Audio drivers tend to work in kernel mode to improve speed...but with the side effect that something shitty happening on that level is disastrous. Throw in the fact that the average driver is coded by a baboon on speed, and it's a huge cause of BSOD's.

Edited:

Oh yeah should probably talk about guitars hahaha

I want a pair of Q-Tuners so bad, even though I have no legitimate use for them.
    I remember looking at those a long time ago.

had a nice little jam. I don't really play in dropped D much, but I think it could grow on me.

16. Post #1456

December 2011
    606 Posts
    I like the old look of q-tuner's more, that clear/gray one looks so plasticy. It could look awsome in some guitars, such as this. On normal run-of-the-mill guitar/bass it just looks bit wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

17. Post #1457
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Could look good in a Parker

Edited:

Or a Steinberger, things if that nature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #1458
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    so guys, I started working on the bass.

I've been going at it for a good hour and a half now, I've done 9 frets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #1459
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Get some steel wool on them frets when you're done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #1460
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    I've been told not to. besides, I don't have any and I'm only cleaning the thing, not doing any fret jobs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #1461
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts

I feel like this should be posted again, I haven't seen it in a while.

22. Post #1462
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Maybe I'm crazy, I like worn frets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

23. Post #1463
    December 2011
    72 Posts
    Delay pedals, what are my options?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #1464
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Delay pedals, what are my options?
    budget?

25. Post #1465
    December 2011
    72 Posts
    Would like to spend are 50 but 100 is max and I'd look into 2nd hand no problem.

26. Post #1466
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Would like to spend are £50 but 100 is max and I'd look into 2nd hand no problem.
    see if you can pick up an mxr carbon copy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #1467
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts

I feel like this should be posted again, I haven't seen it in a while.
    Guitarist is bored.

28. Post #1468
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I've been told not to. besides, I don't have any and I'm only cleaning the thing, not doing any fret jobs.
    Taking some 0000 steel wool to the frets will only do them good.

Every few times I restring or so I take some steel wool to the whole fretboard. It makes short work of any grime, and polishes the frets so they feel smoother when bending, and look nicer. It doesn't hurt the board either, hit it with some lemon oil after and it looks brand new.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

29. Post #1469
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I've never been that fond of steel wooling my FB, though I know a lot of people swear by it. I use bore oil and a toothbrush, gets all grime I've encountered off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #1470
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,249 Posts
    invested in a behringer bass amp today, shit sounds cash.

31. Post #1471
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I've never been that fond of steel wooling my FB, though I know a lot of people swear by it. I use bore oil and a toothbrush, gets all grime I've encountered off
    I'd be hesitant to use a toothbrush personally . My brain just seems to think that a toothbrush would damage the board more, the bristles seem tougher and there's a less consistent area to work with. Would be difficult to say for sure though.

Rubbing the fretboard by hand with 0000 steel wool takes off practically no wood, but it tears through grime and oxidation on the frets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

32. Post #1472
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I just seal my fingerboards, you people are goofs

33. Post #1473

December 2011
    606 Posts
    I've had my current guitar for around 5 years now, and i haven't cleaned the fret-board even once. It's still clean, and hasn't collected any grime or gunk yet. Frets are still shiny and completely rust free. Though, I do not sweat from my hands at all while playing guitar, partly because the room temperature is pretty much always well below 20c.

I just seal my fingerboards, you people are goofs
    Do you use epoxy to seal fingerboards? Or grain filler or something? I've never seen fretted instrument with sealed fingerboard. I imagine it could be nice on guitar with open grain, such as wenge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

34. Post #1474
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i've never touched my fretboard in my life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #1475
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,084 Posts
    i've never touched my fretboard in my life.
    wow, you got some crazy playing style then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1476
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    nah just open strings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

37. Post #1477
    November 2010
    486 Posts
    nah just open strings
    Thats casual. Hardcore people play by punching that guitars body
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1478
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I've had my current guitar for around 5 years now, and i haven't cleaned the fret-board even once. It's still clean, and hasn't collected any grime or gunk yet. Frets are still shiny and completely rust free. Though, I do not sweat from my hands at all while playing guitar, partly because the room temperature is pretty much always well below 20c.

Do you use epoxy to seal fingerboards? Or grain filler or something? I've never seen fretted instrument with sealed fingerboard. I imagine it could be nice on guitar with open grain, such as wenge.
    nitrocellulose on maple, grain filler on rosewood
    never touch ebony, don't seal ebanol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #1479
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    that's how I went about that bastard of a Warwick. some lighter fluid and a toothbrush, got it spotless.

Edited:

the frets on it need recrowning, they're pretty dented. maybe even a full refret.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #1480
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    I hardly ever touch the fretboard.

I touch the strings a lot though, and when I push down on them THEY touch the fretboard a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)