1. Post #1481
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,614 Posts
    that's how I went about that bastard of a Warwick. some lighter fluid and a toothbrush, got it spotless.

Edited:

the frets on it need recrowning, they're pretty dented. maybe even a full refret.
    How does it sound?

At least before you took it apart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1482
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,008 Posts
    no idea what it sounded like properly, the active EQ was dead because the battery was flat. I gave it back already as well. it sounded alright I guess, when I gave it a quick play to see what it was like. that was with the super old manky as fuck strings though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1483
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Since the Musicians Gig Room is somewhat deserted, I'll post this here too for C&C.

New song I finished earlier today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1484
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I don't particularly like prog metal but that's pretty decent, well composed and good playing. I do have one gripe about your tone though: the low frequencies are a little muddy while the high frequencies are crisp and clear. Probably something to do with tension and not something you can really fix without a multi-scale instrument but it was bothersome enough for me to notice it throughout the song. It shouldn't be a big issue unless high and low frequencies are going on at the same time.

5. Post #1485
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    Wow. So here I am playing a '79 JEM through a first act
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #1486
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    I don't particularly like prog metal but that's pretty decent, well composed and good playing. I do have one gripe about your tone though: the low frequencies are a little muddy while the high frequencies are crisp and clear. Probably something to do with tension and not something you can really fix without a multi-scale instrument but it was bothersome enough for me to notice it throughout the song. It shouldn't be a big issue unless high and low frequencies are going on at the same time.
    I don't think that's the issue. Personally I think it sounds like ass, but it's not his fault (nor my disliking the genre).

Youtube's been having an issue recently that fucks with loud sounds, which creates some nasty fuzz on things that are loud, and this is pretty damn loud. His amplification method, whatever it is, always had a really nasty inharmonic bite too (guessing solid state, don't remember)- throw in the fuzz and it makes notes pretty much big chunky pulses. The low end and high end are probably in tune, but I can't even verify it because everything midrange downward is so goddamn broad it's basically percussion. Ran it through a spectrum analyzer for a laugh, and I can't even identify anything below A7, it's just a big poofy blob, so I don't think you're really hearing the pitch down there. Also, there's something horrible happening in the stereo field, and I can't tell what.

Basically, Youtube is a bag of dicks. Upload it on Soundcloud or something, Hullu.

7. Post #1487
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I don't think that's the issue. Personally I think it sounds like ass, but it's not his fault (nor my disliking the genre).

Youtube's been having an issue recently that fucks with loud sounds, which creates some nasty fuzz on things that are loud, and this is pretty damn loud. His amplification method, whatever it is, always had a really nasty inharmonic bite too (guessing solid state, don't remember)- throw in the fuzz and it makes notes pretty much big chunky pulses. The low end and high end are probably in tune, but I can't even verify it because everything midrange downward is so goddamn broad it's basically percussion. Ran it through a spectrum analyzer for a laugh, and I can't even identify anything below A7, it's just a big poofy blob, so I don't think you're really hearing the pitch down there. Also, there's something horrible happening in the stereo field, and I can't tell what.

Basically, Youtube is a bag of dicks. Upload it on Soundcloud or something, Hullu.
    It's probably a little bit of both. I never realized that Youtube messed with the audio if you're watching the original video resolution, though I don't do a whole lot of listening to music on youtube. all wav all the time

8. Post #1488
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    No offense, but I just don't 'get' metal, so of course I didn't like it. I'm probably not angry enough for it. Your playing isn't necessarily bad, though, the music just did nothing for me.

But yeah youtube definitely murders sound quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #1489
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    No offense, but I just don't 'get' metal, so of course I didn't like it. I'm probably not angry enough for it.

But yeah youtube definitely murders sound quality.
    Metal isn't very angry necessarily. Power metal is mostly about rainbows and unicorns, and funk metal is just energetic and generally silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #1490
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    Well angry probably isn't the best word, but that's the feeling I personally get from metal, that's the feeling I feel that the songwriter is trying to deliver to me through harsh music. I personally don't get harsh with other people unless I'm angry.

Like how soothing is the feeling I usually get from jazz, upbeat is what I get from beach boys style shuffle songs like wouldn't it be nice or california girls. But then metal is.... well, there's no way to write the sound that metal makes in my head without sounding condescending, but let's just say it's not pleasant.

I honestly think it's just the aesthetics of metal that happens to turn me off. The style, the picture that gets drawn in my head when I hear the music (which I know that probably sounds stupid but please bear with me). Like, to me, jazz wears a stylish hat, plays a nice looking hollow body, he's a real cool cat who mellows out the room, everyone takes in the good vibes. And then there's metal.

I'm not necessarily against distorted sounds, you can have distortion in something and still call it rock. Jimi Hendrix made a fantastic career of it. It seems to go from rock to metal though once it takes on the characteristic of being 'hard', 'heavy', 'brutal', that kind of thing, you know, all those adjectives that generally mean bad things but for some reason become applied positively when you're talking about metal.

Like I said, I probably just don't 'get' it. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with metal, I'm sure a lot of people think the sounds I like are unpleasant, too.

11. Post #1491
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Like, to me, jazz wears a stylish hat, plays a nice looking hollow body, he's a real cool cat who mellows out the room
    you're doing it wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #1492
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    I don't know about you but that to me seems exactly like what I described, except with a trumpeter instead of a jazz guitarist, I personally feel pretty mellow having listened to it. So I don't know where I went wrong.

13. Post #1493
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    jazz is about hyper-tension, blue-balls, and drug highs.
    good jazz at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #1494
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    Well there's all kinds of jazz, but yeah, basically that's what I was describing. Maybe it's not good that I think that type of person is cool, maybe I should get some better influences.

But anyway this is what comes to my mind when I think 'jazz guitar', the Gershwin aria for the lyrics 'summertime... and the livin' is easy...', and then how around 3 minutes in Joe takes it to swing-zone, and then breaks it back down to the summertime part.

15. Post #1495
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    fun times: here's joe pass on a fender jaguar

16. Post #1496
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    On a related note

I'd love to have an old Jazzmaster or Jaguar, but to be honest, these new Kurt Cobain ones don't seem half bad for what's on offer, and they're pretty affordable. I'd like to have one.

17. Post #1497
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    nah the jazzmaster and jaguar is all about those pickups which the kurt cobain guitar doesn't have anything to do with, lacking those awesome single-coils.

in the middle my jazzmaster has the greatest bell sound i've ever heard, a clear deep thud accompanied with a soft twang.

and the original mustangs are just these beautifully tiny brittle sounding bees.

18. Post #1498
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    Yeah this one is set up really differently, but some point in the video they demonstrate the switches at the top which allow you to set up the phasing in different ways, it can go from sounding like a telecaster to full on humbucker, it has a certain versatility you wouldn't find in a normal one with only single coils.

Like I said I'd love to have a normal one but this one gets me a little interested. The fact that it's a weird cross between a few different ideas is what I like about it. The short scale, slackness, third bridge, but with a humbucker at the bridge and a single coil in the neck, it's just crazy, it's like someone ate four different guitars then shit that one out.

19. Post #1499
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i wouldn't really get a jazzmaster for versatility. when you buy that guitar you should know the sound you're getting.

20. Post #1500
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    jazzmasters have the best pickups no exceptions

Edited:

only thing I don't like about jazzmasters tbh is the pitiful sustain

21. Post #1501
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,482 Posts
    what are all these horrible metal and jazz stereotypes doing in this thread

get out all of you

Edited:

stylish hat and distortion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1502
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    if only everything in that clip didn't sound like 1990's plastic ROM.

Edited:

only thing I don't like about jazzmasters tbh is the pitiful sustain
    gotta slap some .012-.58's on that bitch if you want sustain

23. Post #1503
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    if anyone thinks there's anything horrible about gershwin melodies then I don't think we can be friends

Cuz it ain't necessarily so.

24. Post #1504
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    clarinet glissando's erryday
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1505
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    I know what you mean. Higher gauge strings might have been in place, because the song is played in Drop B.

Edited:

Also, just found out that Parker is shitting out a 7-string guitar!

JEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!

Would totally sell ass for that, but it costs like 6,000, so I don't think my ass can take pounding like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #1506
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    I know what you mean. Higher gauge strings might have been in place, because the song is played in Drop B.

Edited:

Also, just found out that Parker is shitting out a 7-string guitar!

JEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!

Would totally sell ass for that, but it costs like 6,000, so I don't think my ass can take pounding like that.
    Never quite understood the pricing of guitars. What makes that guitar worth 6000?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #1507
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,868 Posts
    For that amount of money you can buy a decent 21+ string harp guitar, electric or acoustic, custom built to your unique order. So I just don't see that kind of value there in a relatively simple seven string electric. I'm sure it's an amazing guitar, but I feel like they're awful proud of it at that price point.

I've seen a FEW, but only very few, custom specialized guitars where the price sometimes can be around $1k per string, but they're a lot fancier than that.

Here's one with 25 strings, covering over five octaves, and it's cheaper than that seven string by almost a couple thousand dollars

http://www.worlandguitars.com/galler...rm%2025HG.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #1508
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Usually with most luthiers it's like 400 base and 50-100 per string plus any upcharges for expensive materials (ie mahogany costs more than poplar)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

29. Post #1509

December 2011
    606 Posts
    That depends heavily on country, you cant get anything but Krappy with those prices in Europe. 1k is pretty standard price for starting luthier, who actually pays taxes for his work. Also, even mahogany is dirt cheap, it was 60 for 70*450*1000 block of mahogany, while poplar is would be 30-40 for similar chunk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

30. Post #1510
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    Never quite understood the pricing of guitars. What makes that guitar worth 6000?
    Brand name.
    Parker's got appeal with all the wrong sorts of douchebags, unfortunately.

31. Post #1511

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Parker has pretty special sort of touch, I like the "feel" they have. They guitar's are also quite light and ergonomic, and have godly upper fret access. But that doesn't justify the cost, not by far. If the price on website is 6k, it means they go for ~4.5k. With that price I could get fully customized amfisound, Hufschmid or almost blackmachine. The price is around 2k too high for me to ever even consider, even if it's made by only hand, without even touching it with electrical tool. The price would be justified if it was made out of ivory of a 30'000year old woolly mammoth. It's just silly.

32. Post #1512
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I was gassing, bought a 1978 Peavey T40
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

33. Post #1513
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,008 Posts
    That depends heavily on country, you cant get anything but Krappy with those prices in Europe. 1k is pretty standard price for starting luthier, who actually pays taxes for his work. Also, even mahogany is dirt cheap, it was 60 for 70*450*1000 block of mahogany, while poplar is would be 30-40 for similar chunk.
    those are some of the worst things I've ever seen in my life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #1514
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,644 Posts
    those are some of the worst things I've ever seen in my life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1515
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Those look pretty krappy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #1516
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,744 Posts
    How the fuck did you find one of those so God damn fast? D: Are they giving these fuckers away everywhere but Colorado or something? Fuck you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

37. Post #1517
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    How the fuck did you find one of those so God damn fast? D: Are they giving these fuckers away everywhere but Colorado or something? Fuck you.
    I've almost bought the thing several times over the past 5 months, but I've always had trouble getting past the weight. Since I've been playing a 6 string for the past two months or so, I've gotten used to the heavy weight

I knew where it was already pretty much

Edited:

btw it was listed for 400 but I'm pretty good at life and got it for 100 cheaper and got them to throw in the hardshell case
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #1518

December 2011
    606 Posts
    That price is a steal! I would've bought it for that price, and I have no need for bass atm. It's in far better shape then guitar I have had for 7 years now.

39. Post #1519
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    That price is a steal! I would've bought it for that price, and I have no need for bass atm. It's in far better shape then guitar I have had for 7 years now.
    I have no need for a bass right now either, baby makes 18

40. Post #1520
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    Record something with it. I've never heard a solid demo of one, and they always seemed semi-appealing.

What basses do you own right now, anyway?