1. Post #1721
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Then is it bad If I occasionally use my thumb to fret the low e?
    on bass I'll do it for some old country licks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #1722
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    they're meant for people with poor technique. The tip of your thumb is all that's supposed to ever touch the neck.
    'Poor' technique is a load of bullshit. Some of the best players have 'poor' technique and they can shred your face off

I personally find it really difficult to play with my thumb always on the back of the neck, simply because my hands are so big. I was taught to play with 'proper' technique on classical guitar but found it impossible when I started playing electric. Of course sometimes it's necessary to play some sections with big stretches or whatever, but most of the time I just do what's comfortable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #1723
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    'Poor' technique is a load of bullshit. Some of the best players have 'poor' technique and they can shred your face off

I personally find it really difficult to play with my thumb always on the back of the neck, simply because my hands are so big. I was taught to play with 'proper' technique on classical guitar but found it impossible when I started playing electric. Of course sometimes it's necessary to play some sections with big stretches or whatever, but most of the time I just do what's comfortable.
    shredding is poor technique

Edited:

Gilbert does play correctly, by the way. Emmanuel doesn't, but he mostly just hits his guitar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #1724
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Gilbert's thumb is often around the neck, and his fingers are nowhere near parallel to the frets, aka 'bad' technique. If you actually listen toTommy, you'd realize that he does intact shred like a mofo when he wants to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

5. Post #1725
    April 2012
    3,381 Posts
    "Technique"

Does it really matter how you play, how thin/ick the neck is as long as it sounds good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

6. Post #1726
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,529 Posts
    Doesnt matter how you play, but thin/thick does affect tone.

Then again, I hold firm that tone is in the fingers with guitar and amp adding miniscule differences compared to the fingers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

7. Post #1727
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,486 Posts
    well I don't know about you but I'd kinda rather swap pickups rather than swap fingers

that sounds painful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

8. Post #1728
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Doesnt matter how you play, but thin/thick does affect tone.

Then again, I hold firm that tone is in the fingers with guitar and amp adding miniscule differences compared to the fingers.
    The amp makes a world of a difference. Even if you're just playing clean. A Peavey 5150 and a Vox will NOT sound the same, even played by the same person five minutes apart. The woods in the guitar make less of a difference than the amp and pickups, and it's a difference I don't really notice at all, but yes that would be a miniscule augmentation to the tone.

That said, yes there is an awful lot of tone control in your fingers as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1729
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    wood makes absolutely no difference
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1730
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    shredding is poor technique
    How do you figure?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #1731
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    How do you figure?
    I don't like shredding. It's not rhythmic and it's rarely melodic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #1732
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    I think that just describes bad shredding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #1733
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I'm talking about metal and neoclassical shredding and metal and neoclassical shredding both sound bad. blues, bluegrass, jazz, and country shredding are completely different from metal and neoclassical shredding.

I can sweep pick a harmonic minor scale too but I'm not going to because it sounds terrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #1734
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,760 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1735
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,486 Posts
    I don't like shredding. It's not rhythmic and it's rarely melodic.
    it is very rhythmic it's just too cool for you to comprehend

(straight 16th notes still count as rhythm)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1736
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,755 Posts
    I'm talking about metal and neoclassical shredding and metal and neoclassical shredding both sound bad. blues, bluegrass, jazz, and country shredding are completely different from metal and neoclassical shredding.

I can sweep pick a harmonic minor scale too but I'm not going to because it sounds terrible
    Your avatar is too catchy for it's own good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

17. Post #1737
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Your avatar is too catchy for it's own good.
    try to bob your head in time with it

I give you 20 seconds before your neck starts hurting

18. Post #1738
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,755 Posts
    try to bob your head in time with it

I give you 20 seconds before your neck starts hurting
    Can't help it, song too catchy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #1739
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm
    This is helpful in picking wood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

20. Post #1740
    July 2011
    100 Posts
    What is a better guitar for someone playing thrash metal? B.C Rich Assassin or an explorer?

21. Post #1741
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    B.C. Rich is awful, so the explorer wins by default, but that's sort of a silly question to begin with.
    You can play metal on a telecaster if you want to, it's a question of the sound you want, not the shape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #1742
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,760 Posts
    B.C. Rich is awful, so the explorer wins by default, but that's sort of a silly question to begin with.
    You can play metal on a telecaster if you want to, it's a question of the sound you want, not the shape.
    I remember hearing an awesome metal guitarist that used a tele. A lot metal guitarists get one with a humbucker but this guy used the single coils. And it had this awesome hollow sound, not tinny or anything it was really thick but the single coil just gave the tone an awesome little nuance of awesomeness.

23. Post #1743

December 2011
    606 Posts
    TBH, BC riches arent that bad anymore. If by explorer you mean gibson/epiphone with 24.75 scale, I'd rather pick BC rich than anything gibson scale-length. Chuck Schuldiner signature I recently played was extremely solid guitar, at-least for the purpose it's intended for.

If it has humbucker in bridge and it's not hollow, it can do metal with ease. You can play metal with anything, off course.

One thing to consider is the fact how ergonomic the guitars are. To me, explorers are not that comfortable when sitting, but they balance well when standing. I personally wouldn't ever buy explorer if I wasn't going to play most of time while standing. Strat esque guitar (such as that BC) would thus be by far better choice for practicing.

There are still far better choices than either of those (depending on explorer, of course).

Edit:

I remember hearing an awesome metal guitarist that used a tele. A lot metal guitarists get one with a humbucker but this guy used the single coils. And it had this awesome hollow sound, not tinny or anything it was really thick but the single coil just gave the tone an awesome little nuance of awesomeness.
    Jari Mäenpää? I can't recall anyone else who would use tele with single coil at bridge and have good "metal" tone.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #1744
    April 2012
    3,381 Posts
    I have an explorer and it is just as comfortable as my Super strats sitting down, I don't know why others feel different, but whatever.

25. Post #1745
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,760 Posts
    TBH, BC riches arent that bad anymore. If by explorer you mean gibson/epiphone with 24.75 scale, I'd rather pick BC rich than anything gibson scale-length. Chuck Schuldiner signature I recently played was extremely solid guitar, at-least for the purpose it's intended for.

If it has humbucker in bridge and it's not hollow, it can do metal with ease. You can play metal with anything, off course.

One thing to consider is the fact how ergonomic the guitars are. To me, explorers are not that comfortable when sitting, but they balance well when standing. I personally wouldn't ever buy explorer if I wasn't going to play most of time while standing. Strat esque guitar (such as that BC) would thus be by far better choice for practicing.

There are still far better choices than either of those (depending on explorer, of course).

Edit:

Jari Mäenpää? I can't recall anyone else who would use tele with single coil at bridge and have good "metal" tone.

Not who I was thinking of but that does sound good.

Edited:

I have an explorer and it is just as comfortable as my Super strats sitting down, I don't know why others feel different, but whatever.
    Yeah, my explorer felt awkward for about an hour until I got used to it. The part that screwed me up the most was the bridge position is different than my Ibanez so that took more getting used to than the shape.

26. Post #1746
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    one of the guitar players for Red Fang uses a '72 thinline tele with fender wide ranges in both positions. Definitely not what most would think of as a metal guitar but it pushes some serious tone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #1747
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    I think we've got an explorer rigged for playing slide on.

Edited:

Dem soapbars on it.

28. Post #1748
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    man after playing that T40 for a while my mahogany body strat feels like it's not even there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #1749
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    Really, the guitar doesn't even fucking matter if you're willing to put in different electronics.
    Somebody I know really likes strats, but dislikes the tone and tends to play heavier shit. So he's got one with a set of EMGs and one with a set of those humbucker-in-a-single things, and if you hadn't been told it was a strat, you'd never know.
    You can play a fucking potted plant if you want to, provided you get the right amp and electronics.
    TBH, BC riches arent that bad anymore.
    I'm sure they're playable, but the vast majority of things they make are pointy clusterfucks for people who want to look br00tul, and other companies do the conventional shapes better.
    Not everybody sits the same way. Some people sit with it hanging on their right thigh, others put it between their legs, other people on their left thigh.
    Obviously there's going to be an issue if you now have a giant bulge pressing up against your giant bulge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #1750
    April 2012
    3,381 Posts
    Really, the guitar doesn't even fucking matter if you're willing to put in different electronics.
    Somebody I know really likes strats, but dislikes the tone and tends to play heavier shit. So he's got one with a set of EMGs and one with a set of those humbucker-in-a-single things, and if you hadn't been told it was a strat, you'd never know.
    You can play a fucking potted plant if you want to, provided you get the right amp and electronics.

I'm sure they're playable, but the vast majority of things they make are pointy clusterfucks for people who want to look br00tul, and other companies do the conventional shapes better.

Not everybody sits the same way. Some people sit with it hanging on their right thigh, others put it between their legs, other people on their left thigh.
    Obviously there's going to be an issue if you now have a giant bulge pressing up against your giant bulge.
    The only BC Rich guitar shapes I can tolerate are the eagles, mockingbirds (specifically the spalted maple one), and the gunslinger for 80's style (but, one pickup is a little iffy.)

So, Zoom apparently released an update for my R16 about 3 weeks ago, maybe if I'm lucky this'll fix my DAW-BSOD issues, although it only claims to improve latency. Funny too, as was typing up the ad to sell it

31. Post #1751
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,529 Posts
    So if I want huge sustain on a strat body, what would I do. Thick and heavy body?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

32. Post #1752
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    So if I want huge sustain on a strat body, what would I do. Thick and heavy body?
    Oak and so much polyurethane?

33. Post #1753
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,614 Posts
    also very large bridge block.

Or just do a hardtail bridge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1754
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    I looked at F-Basses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #1755
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I'm in love with a new tuning

EAEGAE

36. Post #1756
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,614 Posts
    I'm in love with a new tuning

EAEGAE
    I tried C# tuning, perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #1757
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I DROPPED MY SLIDE

fuck everything I'm just gonna buy a brass one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

38. Post #1758
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,066 Posts
    Maybe I missed something, not being a slide guitarist, but isn't the rule there that if you find yourself needing a slide, you need to go buy beer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #1759
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,760 Posts
    Maybe I missed something, not being a slide guitarist, but isn't the rule there that if you find yourself needing a slide, you need to go buy beer?
    My uncle gave me a slide that was just the neck of a bottle he cut off. I gotta say I like metal slides more than glass. BUT that can change on different guitars a bright guitar might benefit from a glass slide.

40. Post #1760
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    yeah but you still have to cut the glass down and all sorts of shit and I think it'll be less time consuming if I just go buy a brass one that doesn't break every other day