1. Post #1801
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Alright, now I feel like a moron.
    I bought everything I needed for this wiring job...except the wire.

Is there a physical store that carries shielded 22 AWG single conductor wire, or do I have to just buy it online? I'm not big on things that cost more in shipping than anything else.
    Radio Shack carries 22AWG single conductor I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #1802
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,743 Posts
    I think I am gonna go simple on my explorer and put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF in the neck. Going through an Ace Frehley phase right now. But I always had a thing for the super distortion, the 91' les paul I played had a set from the 70's.

On a side note aged creme pickups look amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1803
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    copper slide.
    My work had the 80s reissue CD of Death Letter going for 50. Bitches crazy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1804
    April 2012
    3,343 Posts
    I think I am gonna go simple on my explorer and put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF in the neck. Going through an Ace Frehley phase right now. But I always had a thing for the super distortion, the 91' les paul I played had a set from the 70's.

On a side note aged creme pickups look amazing.
    Good choice. The Super distortion is an incredible pickup.

Rerecorded while my R16 was allowing me, and I changed up the drums to fit the style more. I also changed how I was picking to make the notes less piercing trebly at times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #1805
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    I finally reached the point where I memorized whole Pentatonic Minor scale in all keys and I can play it without thinking much about what I play, I can just grab guitar and improvise something right away, but I still did not figure out chord relations to the scale, I do not play in boxes either I play few notes slide up and down the neck to keep it dynamic. I guess I should learn Major scale now right? Because I do not have to learn Blues scale because it's just pentatonic with chromatic notes, if I'm right.

Also my latest achievement was learning Devil's Island by Megadeth, it does rip your arm, I also wanna learn Holy Wars in it's entirety, I know how to play few verses but not song as a whole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #1806
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    Blues scales are pentatonic with "blue notes" added.
    12bar.de is helpful website
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #1807
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,045 Posts
    Radio Shack carries 22AWG single conductor I think.
    Shielded, though?
    Well, probably don't need it, since it's painted, but I'd rather be on the safe side about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #1808
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Shielded, though?
    Well, probably don't need it, since it's painted, but I'd rather be on the safe side about it.
    I don't think they sell shielded anything but you really don't need shielded wire if you shield the cavity

9. Post #1809
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,743 Posts
    Good choice. The Super distortion is an incredible pickup.
    Indeed, I love the 59' in my Ibanez but I am going for something a little hotter.

Edited:

I don't think they sell shielded anything but you really don't need shielded wire if you shield the cavity
    I bought some shielded 2 conductor wire from them once, I haven't seen it in a while though. I remember when radioshack had everything...

10. Post #1810
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Yeah I remember when I was a kid if you went into radioshack you got bombarded with tandy computers, walkmans, carphones, and electrical components.

now it's nothing but RC cars, cellphones, and phone plug adapters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1811
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,045 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't remember seeing anything I needed the last time I went into one. The only people I know who shop there are buying phones without plan.

But what the hell, if they're selling wire for a decent price I'll buy it. I'd feel better about redundant shielding just because in my expert opinion cavity shielding does jack shit, but I hadn't had any problems before when it wasn't using shielded wire, so meh.

12. Post #1812
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I usually get my solder and perfboard and maybe some basic components that I need in a pinch but anything else I just order online
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1813
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,329 Posts
    my local radioshack is the most busted place I've ever seen

they only have like 2 or 3 r/cs at the most all the rest is weird stuff like little lcds you put on 360s so you can use them in the car

14. Post #1814
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,743 Posts
    my local radioshack is the most busted place I've ever seen

they only have like 2 or 3 r/cs at the most all the rest is weird stuff like little lcds you put on 360s so you can use them in the car
    We have a few here, the independent stores are kind of shitty but the one in the mall is a lot bigger and carries quite a bit of stuff. The only real reason why I go there is because I know the guys there, otherwise I would buy everything online.

15. Post #1815
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,045 Posts
    Welp, no wire.
    Time to compare shipping costs.

16. Post #1816
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    11,932 Posts
    So, last week I bough a guitar, and I've managed to get one song right, which is a short one.
    Anyone have some easy beginner song?

(I'm willing to learn more chords, atm I know Dm, A and E)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #1817
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #1818
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,524 Posts
    I just ordered a trans-red Peavey T-40.

Beyond excite. May never need another bass guitar ever again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #1819
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I just ordered a trans-red Peavey T-40.

Beyond excite. May never need another bass guitar ever again.
    What year?

Is it 78-80 or is it one of the ones with blade pups?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

20. Post #1820
    February 2005
    16,524 Posts
    Blade pups.

21. Post #1821
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I'm probably gonna get a second with blades. I like my '78 and everything but I think I'd like having a '78 and an '82 with a Kahler better

22. Post #1822
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    Borrowing a yamaha rx15 from a friend only to learn that we have lots of drum machines

23. Post #1823
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Borrowing a yamaha rx15 from a friend only to learn that we have lots of drum machines
    that's a cool drum machine, so many opportunities for circuit bending
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #1824
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,100 Posts
    Hello Facepunch guitarist, I am in need of your help desperately. I went on hiatus from my guitar for about 7 months and i'm trying to get back into it, and I just can't. I don't feel the magic I felt before my hiatus. I honestly do with all my heart want to get back into playing my guitar, but when I try I don't play it very long. I used to play like 3-6 hours a day but now I can only seem to play a couple minutes before I feel like putting it down again.
    Has anyone ever gone through that feeling? Where you feel like you lost all feeling for playing the guitar? And does anyone have any clue on what should I do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #1825
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    Hello Facepunch guitarist, I am in need of your help desperately. I went on hiatus from my guitar for about 7 months and i'm trying to get back into it, and I just can't. I don't feel the magic I felt before my hiatus. I honestly do with all my heart want to get back into playing my guitar, but when I try I don't play it very long. I used to play like 3-6 hours a day but now I can only seem to play a couple minutes before I feel like putting it down again.
    Has anyone ever gone through that feeling? Where you feel like you lost all feeling for playing the guitar? And does anyone have any clue on what should I do?
    You should do it in small steps, pick up the guitar, jam around on it, put it back, next day do the same and with time it will get back to you, you don't have to sit and practice 3-6 hours unless you build stamina for playing songs, 1-2 hours is best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #1826
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,100 Posts
    You should do it in small steps, pick up the guitar, jam around on it, put it back, next day do the same and with time it will get back to you, you don't have to sit and practice 3-6 hours unless you build stamina for playing songs, 1-2 hours is best.
    Thank you, I will try that routine. I just hope that I can get the sensation I got before and stop having to force myself to play un-enjoyful sessions.
    I appreciate your help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

27. Post #1827
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,329 Posts
    learn some new songs that always gets me excited
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1828
    February 2005
    16,524 Posts
    FFFFFFFFF YEAH. I also called Verellen Amps and ordered a Big Spider fuzz pedal and just got my confirmation email.

I feel good as fuck right now.

29. Post #1829
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i want a Zvex fuzz factory

30. Post #1830
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    i want a Zvex fuzz factory
    why would you get a zvex when you could get a toyroom?

31. Post #1831
    Viking Chest hair simulator 2012
    June 2009
    2,413 Posts
    Tuned my guitar to EGBDF#A, it sounded strange.

32. Post #1832
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    why would you get a zvex when you could get a toyroom?
    i couldn't get a zvex because i can't afford one.

on another note, why do the times that i can actually pull off a wes song and the times that i'm capable of recording my guitar not overlap in anyway??

33. Post #1833
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    FFFFFFFFF YEAH. I also called Verellen Amps and ordered a Big Spider fuzz pedal and just got my confirmation email.

I feel good as fuck right now.
    Go fuck yourself, I want a Verellen so bad, but shipping is such a butthole in this country, especially for a head
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #1834
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,743 Posts
    Thank you, I will try that routine. I just hope that I can get the sensation I got before and stop having to force myself to play un-enjoyful sessions.
    I appreciate your help.
    I lost inspiration for a while, but I just looked up some of my favorite guitarists and learned some of their songs and watched them live. After learning a couple songs that spark was back.

On a side note, don't try and play guitar when you have a hangover... ugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #1835
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,100 Posts
    I lost inspiration for a while, but I just looked up some of my favorite guitarists and learned some of their songs and watched them live. After learning a couple songs that spark was back.

On a side note, don't try and play guitar when you have a hangover... ugh.
    learn some new songs that always gets me excited

Thanks both of you. I had started learning a song I had never learned to play, Dazed and confused by Led Zepplin. I started getting a little bit of the feel back when and after playing it. It felt good to play such a simple song instead of trying to wank up and down the neck.

(I'm also glad that I wasn't the only one to loose inspiration.)

Thanks to all three of you who are helping me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #1836
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,743 Posts
    Thanks both of you. I had started learning a song I had never leaned to play, Dazed and confused by Led Zepplin. I started getting a little bit of the feel back when and after playing it. It felt good to play such a simple song instead of trying to wank up and down the neck.

(I'm also glad that I wasn't the only one to loose inspiration.)

Thanks to all three of you who are helping me!
    Anything to help out a fellow guitarist. It is common to lose inspiration, I really lost it when I was away from my guitar for about 8 months. And when I finally brought it to where I was living I had lost the strength in my fingers, and my calluses were gone. It really bummed me out, the muscle memory was still there but it was like lifting a 20lb weight on my fingers...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #1837
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I lost inspiration in 2006 and didn't pick it back up until 2008. I just forced myself to play until I was feeling it again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #1838
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,743 Posts
    Yeah sometimes you just have to force yourself, that is what I had to do when I lost my finger strength. It felt stupid but I didn't want to stop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #1839
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,100 Posts
    I lost inspiration in 2006 and didn't pick it back up until 2008. I just forced myself to play until I was feeling it again
    You guys are giving me hope, Thank you.
    I would cry if I didn't play guitar for 2 years, I felt 7 months was forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

40. Post #1840
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    You guys are giving me hope, Thank you.
    I would cry if I didn't play guitar for 2 years, I felt 7 months was forever.

I tried playing, but all I could get out was 20 seconds of punk riffs and then I'd just fall out of time and lose it for a week. I was young and angry, right smack in the middle of my teens

Edited:

I've never been able to play while angry, I still can't play angry. I can write some good shit when I'm pissed though, and let me tell you I wrote the best things I had ever written during that time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)