1. Post #2841
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,013 Posts
    Oh I can make a guess on how he lost it.
    he had the spring cavity cover on though, he always has.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2842
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    he had the spring cavity cover on though, he always has.
    Hmm, he must be a magician.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2843
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,013 Posts
    indeed. he said it might give it to me to do work on. needs some jack socket work, the spring replacement, bridge needs adjusting and shit like that. basically a full setup and a couple of replacement parts. it's one of those Vintage strat copies.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #2844
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Harmonics put you in perfect tuning but not with guitar intonation, so fretted notes will be out by a few cents
    its close enough that nobody can notice. I think its probably maybe 2 cents difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #2845
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    its close enough that nobody can notice. I think its probably maybe 2 cents difference.
    Is this on bass? I've found I can only really notice on chords on guitar but it's enough to put me off so I tend to use a tuner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #2846
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Is this on bass? I've found I can only really notice on chords on guitar but it's enough to put me off so I tend to use a tuner
    Yeah, bass. We rarely use chords because they just don't sound very good. Some 6string players will use them but everyone else uses arpeggios
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #2847
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,013 Posts
    Power chords can sound pretty good on bass. That's really it though. A 2 note chord is good, 3 can be alright, anything more is just kind of a mess of noise on bass.

8. Post #2848
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    Speaking of bass chords, I have a bass octave pedal which basically matches your note except at an an octave lower, and when I fuck around with two or three note bass chords, it messes the tracking of the pedal all up and it warbles between the notes and sometimes it sounds pretty cool but most of the time it sounds like my bass is shitting itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #2849
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Silly question.
    What's the point of this wiring type? I can't tell what the fuck's going on in SD diagrams.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #2850
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Silly question.
    What's the point of this wiring type? I can't tell what the fuck's going on in SD diagrams.
    Looks like coil tap controlled by push pull pots, though that assessment is from just a couple seconds of looking at it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

11. Post #2851
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    You are correct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #2852
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Looks like coil tap controlled by push pull pots, though that assessment is from just a couple seconds of looking at it
    Yeah but it has something wrong then, no? The pins on the push pulls have a connection that isn't doing anything, unless I'm reading this wrong. This bit right here:

makes no sense. That set of pins on the right isn't doing anything. Why connect the two?

13. Post #2853
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I noticed that too but i'm not sure what the reason is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #2854
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Yeah but it has something wrong then, no? The pins on the push pulls have a connection that isn't doing anything, unless I'm reading this wrong. This bit right here:

makes no sense. That set of pins on the right isn't doing anything. Why connect the two?
    I see no reason to bridge those connections although it would not hurt anything. I could see doing that if you only had one push pull pot and wanted to split both pickups with it.

Like this...

15. Post #2855
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    I noticed that too but i'm not sure what the reason is
    Well then I'm not going nuts, it'd just a shitty diagram. Just wanted to make sure. Senility strikes early.
    I see no reason to bridge those connections although it would not hurt anything.
    No point in connecting things that don't need to connect. Maybe it's because they assume if you reused the pot you'd be switching to or from that other configuration, though.

16. Post #2856
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    so after leveling my Wilkinson on my Carvin, the G (and sometimes D) strings have been going sharp constantly. Why is dis!? It didn't do this when the bridge was resting, so is it the bridges fault? I am not using the trem arm right now, so it's not from that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

17. Post #2857
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,543 Posts
    What does it mean by push pull? Do they go up and down or are they the regular twisty kind?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #2858
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    What does it mean by push pull? Do they go up and down or are they the regular twisty kind?
    Both. Its a regular pot with a switch integrated.

19. Post #2859
    February 2011
    5,543 Posts
    So I could have it the volume of the pickup and then lifting it could do something else, such as only use one coil of a humbucker?

20. Post #2860
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    So I could have it the volume of the pickup and then lifting it could do something else, such as only use one coil of a humbucker?
    Indeed.

21. Post #2861
    February 2011
    5,543 Posts
    Thus negating the need for a switch beyond three positions on a H/H configuration guitar.

22. Post #2862
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,184 Posts

You guys have any idea what I could sell my yard sale '99 Schecter S-1 for? I bought it on impulse for $100 and it's nice, but I haven't come up with a good project for it yet and I'm thinking about just turning it into money to put toward a Damien Elite Avenger FR. I like it and I'm happy with the money I spent but it sounds shitty compared to my EMG-equipped guitars and I don't love it enough to spend money on it.

Note: Picture is from day I bought it. Frets and fretboard have been cleaned/polished, new strings, strings properly trimmed, and everything set up nicely.

23. Post #2863
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    the market on those is pretty wonky, I've seen them go anywhere between $200 and $450

I don't know if there are any dings or anything in it but I'll ballpark it at $300

I got a hundred project ideas looking at that thing, I don't know why you're having trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #2864
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Thus negating the need for a switch beyond three positions on a H/H configuration guitar.
    Indeed, if I had known about them I wouldn't have put two extra switches in my guitar to coil split the pickups but I don't mind it. I prefer it now kind of...

25. Post #2865
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I prefer extra switches over push/pull pots

26. Post #2866
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Honestly I could see myself bumping into them a lot, they also feel clumsy to me. But I know I could get used to it.

Great idea if you don't want to drill extra holes in your guitar.

27. Post #2867
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Great idea if you don't want to drill extra holes in your guitar.
    That's really the only reason I bought some. I never use volume controls and I had an existing route for a three way and 2 pots, so I'm just going with two push pulls and a box switch.
    Just figured I'd look around at other options as long as I have parts lying around.

28. Post #2868
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,184 Posts
    the market on those is pretty wonky, I've seen them go anywhere between $200 and $450

I don't know if there are any dings or anything in it but I'll ballpark it at $300

I got a hundred project ideas looking at that thing, I don't know why you're having trouble.
    No dings or anything in the finish, just a cracked pickup ring and missing the little plastic piece for the selector switch.

I just don't want to spend the money on a pickup swap, once I do that I'm well on the way to just buying a guitar I like more.

29. Post #2869
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,988 Posts
    I'm having a bit of an issue with my guitar.

Months ago, I smacked my teacup off my desk in a fit of rage and it hit my fretboard, breaking the high e and denting the metal on the fifth fret. Now I can hardly fret a note there.

I hope this does not hinder me a great amount, I rarely play anything that high but I still have a feeling it's going to be a big problem later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #2870
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts

Months ago, I smacked my teacup off my desk in a fit of rage and it hit my fretboard, breaking the high e and denting the metal on the fifth fret. Now I can hardly fret a note there.

I hope this does not hinder me a great amount, I rarely play anything that high but I still have a feeling it's going to be a big problem later.
    you dun goofed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2871
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,988 Posts
    In other news I'm really getting fairly decent at the intro to Dragonaut. Pretty good beginner riff to chug along to.

Edited:

Incorporating palm mutes, bends, and regular playing is great practice too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #2872
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,638 Posts
    yeah practicing makes for pretty good practice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #2873
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    In other news I'm really getting fairly decent at the intro to Dragonaut. Pretty good beginner riff to chug along to.

Edited:

Incorporating palm mutes, bends, and regular playing is great practice too!
    sleep has some pretty damn fun basslines

34. Post #2874
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,013 Posts
    recorded a demo song of my band today.

35. Post #2875
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,184 Posts

You can file all the frets down until the dent is gone (do not recommend), or you can take it to a tech and have it refretted. You probably have to replace all the frets to get a consistent height.

36. Post #2876
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    If you rarely play the first string at the fifth fret, you're not guitaring hard enough. I'd feel absolutely debilitated if that note was gone, that throws so many chord voicings I know out of whack.

But yeah like everyone else has said, you're probably looking at a full fret job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2877
    October 2011
    2,362 Posts
    Whats some good songs to start learning to play guitar on? Started learning guitar last weekend and I can play yellow submarine and that's pretty much it

38. Post #2878
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,649 Posts
    If you rarely play the first string at the fifth fret, you're not guitaring hard enough. I'd feel absolutely debilitated if that note was gone, that throws so many chord voicings I know out of whack.

But yeah like everyone else has said, you're probably looking at a full fret job.
    Can they just replace that one, then just level all of them?

Or hey, fretless guitar :s

39. Post #2879
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Whats some good songs to start learning to play guitar on? Started learning guitar last weekend and I can play yellow submarine and that's pretty much it
    windy and warm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #2880
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Can they just replace that one, then just level all of them?
    I thought so, single fret replacements are sorta common with bar bands because of those occassional dents (or just only wearing out one particular fret because punk rock is boring). Though it's funny he took a beer bottle dent with a tea cup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)