1. Post #2921
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    Well with how bad Gibson USA's quality control has been recently, I think I'll probably only go for it if I can talk him down to around $150. I mean, even with some factory defects, a mahogany/baked maple guitar with a set neck and a gibson usa humbucker is hard to pass up at the sub $200 range.

I'll probably just end up waiting for a decent tele to come within my price range, though. Must have patience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2922
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    So I'm scoping out craigslist to see if a Classic Vibe tele has come up for sale recently, and I found a couple, but they're asking too much for them considering what they sell for new.

But I did find a black Gibson Melody Maker SG - a single piece mahogany set neck into a maple body, with a single 491T humbucker in the bridge position, wraparound tailpiece, and the lone volume knob. I think these had a limited run. The guy's asking $200 for it, they seem to retail for $300-$400, so would it be worth it to make the guy an offer?

By 'would it be worth it', I'm asking if anyone who has any experience with this guitar could tell me whether it'll be a waste of time or if it's actually a decent guitar.
    The one I tried was better than some of the Standards on the rack, but as with all Gibsons, it's notoriously case by case. Go and check it out, negotiate him down if it's flawed but not a dealbreaker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #2923
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    I love my Guitar Center, we don't end up with bad guitars. Every guitar in the store gets checked out by the tech there and if there are any flaws it gets sent back. I know the major guitar stores say they do that but most of them don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #2924
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    The guy says the fit and finish is great, otherwise he wouldn't have bought it (which makes sense I guess), but now he's talking $225 and I'm all like shiiiiiiiiit, bitch please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #2925
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Talk him down, don't sound desperate haha.

What a nut to raise his price...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2926
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,654 Posts
    who the fuck raises the price when they're negotiating

new strategy

go to his house strapped with a baseball bat and gank the motherfucker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #2927
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    who the fuck raises the price when they're negotiating

new strategy

go to his house strapped with a baseball bat and gank the motherfucker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #2928
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Rick's my idol.

The reason he raised is because I was trying to pull a Pawn Stars and I was all like "look, I'll go $150 on it, that's what I can do, and that's including delivery" and he said he'd need more to cover the gas to deliver it, so I emailed him back and was like fuck that nonsense so now we're back to $200, delivered.

9. Post #2929
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Be careful, he might call in an expert.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #2930
    June 2005
    12,654 Posts
    I still say you shouldn't be worried until he calls the cops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #2931
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    17,002 Posts
    I want an Ebow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2932
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    My dad had an ebow that he had forgotten about, we ended up finding it randomly one day. It was one of the old chrome ones.

13. Post #2933
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I'd rather have a sustainiac
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2934
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    Pulled the trigger on the 2011 Melody Maker SG. I really like the guitar, it has a surprising amount of tonal variation considering it has only a bridge humbucker and a volume knob. With the volume up all the way, it gets really bright and shimmery, it's actually approaching the Telecaster territory that I was originally considering for a new guitar, it's just much louder. Rolling the volume knob down and adjusting strumming position gives a darker, neck type sound, even without having the option to switch to a neck pickup. And the body resonates very well.

I was considering adding a switch to split the coils of the pickup, offering me bright single coil tones, then I can turn this thing into a real powerhouse.

The finish is great, I think, nice and consistent across the whole guitar. It's a really thin matte black, it's so thin you can see the grain of the wood through it, which I actually like, it makes it look more like a real piece of wood that some person made and cared for, as opposed to some of my other guitars which feel like they're covered in an inch of glossy plastic. The grain doesn't show up in pictures though, it looks straight black in pics. Maybe the white one is more transparent. The grain on the fingerboard is beautiful.

Onto the negatives, then. Well, to be honest, I don't really have any right off hand, maybe I'll come up with some later. Right now it's pure satisfaction. Being that the body is made of maple instead of mahogany, it's probably the brightest sounding SG on the planet, I mean it gets twangy, but that's because it's only an SG in shape. In reality, it shouldn't be compared to any SG, it's a true component of the Melody Maker line, sounds just like the others, it just happens to be cut in the SG shape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #2935
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    fucker man there's only one RGD7321 left at thomann and I get my salary at the end of next month. oh boy oh boy if I still get it

Edited:

oh just noticed the RGD7421

all is well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #2936
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,534 Posts
    It's only two days here in scotland and I miss playing my electric. I'm stuck with a shitty blue emg strat (two singles and one HB in the bridge). Can't stay in tune since it has a floating bridge. I do have a moderately good acoustic that I can fuck on.. but it's not the same. I'm here for a week and a half. This is going to be hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #2937
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,543 Posts

The finish is great, I think, nice and consistent across the whole guitar. It's a really thin matte black, it's so thin you can see the grain of the wood through it, which I actually like, it makes it look more like a real piece of wood that some person made and cared for, as opposed to some of my other guitars which feel like they're covered in an inch of glossy plastic. The grain doesn't show up in pictures though, it looks straight black in pics. Maybe the white one is more transparent. The grain on the fingerboard is beautiful.
    This is why Strats feel like toys to me. The glossy, smooth finish and the flat paint feel like plastic, even on old models. Then the roundness of the top horn and stuff just makes it even more toylike.

Edited:

If I could see the grain, it would be much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2938
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Go listen to Periphery's new album:

http://themusic.com.au/listen/all/periphery-two/

Edited:

Pretty damn awesome so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #2939
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,014 Posts
    There's a possibility on my new college course that we might get an allowance so that we can go and get guitar/music lessons outside of class (the tutor from the last year of college won't be able to work with the new course as well, if he wants to keep his other job anyway).

If so, I'm gonna get my ass some guitar lessons, hopefully from the same tutor as one of the guitarists in my band goes to. He's fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

20. Post #2940
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    This is why Strats feel like toys to me. The glossy, smooth finish and the flat paint feel like plastic, even on old models. Then the roundness of the top horn and stuff just makes it even more toylike.

Edited:

I noticed this on my explorer, the guitar is shiny but it is not a perfect glass finish. Looks so much better to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #2941
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    I'm thinking long and hard about a Damien Elite Avenger FR, but I've never played anything with a Floyd, just regular tailpieces. I'm trying to find something with a Floyd to borrow to see if I can deal with it.

How different is playing the same music, only with a full-floating Floyd?

22. Post #2942
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Well string bending can be a little more difficult because the bridge will be fighting the extra tension meaning it will go forward a bit and make it so you have to bend a little further. Not a problem with practice, just an annoyance. The bigger problem is if you are trying to bend a string to the note of another string, that note that you aren't bending is gonna lower in pitch from the tension caused by the other string.

Once again with enough practice you can overcome that, but in all honesty some people get a floyd to replace string bending.

I am keeping myself away from tremolos right now, my Ibanez tremolo is blocked and my explorer is a TOM bridge. But like you said you have to find out for yourself if you can deal with it, if you don't do a lot of string bending than I can't see it being a huge change for you.

23. Post #2943
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts

Edited:

Yeah, I really prefer this now. I feel like it's going to wear away awesomely, too, in a few years it could start looking like one of those relic'd models.

My camera sucks, but this is decent enough for you to see it. There's a little white ash on the pickup here, which I didn't see till after I took the pic, it bugs me. It's like the arrow in the Fed Ex logo, once you see it, that's all you'll ever see.

The angle to the headstock is intense. When you're eye level with the fretboard, it looks like it's not even there. People who don't play don't seem to notice a difference, but it catches my eye every time I look at the guitar, and I love that about it.

And my favorite part is this fingerboard. It looks so delicious, especially to be made of baked maple.

24. Post #2944
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Looks good, I always had a thing for the melody makers and juniors. They are so simple but they just seem to sound good for everything.

25. Post #2945
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    Well string bending can be a little more difficult because the bridge will be fighting the extra tension meaning it will go forward a bit and make it so you have to bend a little further. Not a problem with practice, just an annoyance. The bigger problem is if you are trying to bend a string to the note of another string, that note that you aren't bending is gonna lower in pitch from the tension caused by the other string.

Once again with enough practice you can overcome that, but in all honesty some people get a floyd to replace string bending.

I am keeping myself away from tremolos right now, my Ibanez tremolo is blocked and my explorer is a TOM bridge. But like you said you have to find out for yourself if you can deal with it, if you don't do a lot of string bending than I can't see it being a huge change for you.
    I do a lot of single string bends, I learned how without the aid of a trem. Some of the stuff I'm playing now is supposed to have a lot of dive bombs and other trem acrobatics that I can't replicate with bends.

Worst case scenario I could just block the Floyd to not move at all, right?

26. Post #2946
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,776 Posts
    Indeed you can.

27. Post #2947
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    Indeed you can.
    Like I said, I'll try to find something to borrow to get an idea what I'm getting into. I'm hoping to sell my S-1 sometime soon and put it toward that Avenger.

Anyone interested?

28. Post #2948
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    Totally going to buy a lot of these http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Po...Indicator.html

One to add to my Melody Maker and one for every other knob I have. I'd always wondered what they were when I've played nice vintage guitars that come with them, because I noticed they're so functional and helpful. It'd be especially helpful on this melody maker where seemingly insignificant turns of the knob can change the sound pretty drastically.

29. Post #2949
    April 2012
    3,425 Posts
    Ok, so I got unbanned haha.

A real estate agent my parents met with gave has connected me with another musician, so finally I may be able to get some band progress. I've been waiting a long time haha

I've gotta get into top playing shape, I am nervous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #2950
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Like I said, I'll try to find something to borrow to get an idea what I'm getting into. I'm hoping to sell my S-1 sometime soon and put it toward that Avenger.

Anyone interested?
    Not at any price you'd be happy with, haha.

Also, if you're worried about moving to a floyd- http://www.tremol-no.com/ is the best thing ever. Put one on my agile, love it to death. Just turns the trem on/off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #2951
    September 2008
    225 Posts
    yeah I use the same on my graveyard disciple it is awesome ( if you use the set allen screws instead of the button like screws) only problem I found is that it kills flutter, but appart from that, it does its job perfectly when tightened hard enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

32. Post #2952
    DID I MENTION I PLAY BANJO
    July 2010
    7,506 Posts
    I know this isn't the best place to talk about it (it's got a neck, strings, it makes sound) but I'm considering buying a 1981 Gold Star banjo for around 1,220 dollars. I played it at the guitar shop and it's a fucking beast.

Pics (somewhat I can gather)

Not the real banjo though, I just typed 1981 gold star into google.

33. Post #2953
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,534 Posts
    Playing with a band is a lot different than playing by yourself with a backing track or by yourself in general. You know what's happening in the backing track or if you're playing by yourself. I finally got a system down of getting my bassist to follow me if we go nuts on stage. I'll make a face and he'll find the root where I'm playing and start going there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2954
    June 2005
    12,654 Posts
    well I imagine it'd be hard to get anyone to do anything just by making a face at them let alone someone as dumb as a bassist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #2955
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    17,002 Posts

Edited:

I listened to a track off Juggernaut and I was so embarrassed by it I wanted to delete all Periphery music off my computer. Glad this is more like their first album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #2956
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    well I imagine it'd be hard to get anyone to do anything just by making a face at them let alone someone as dumb as a bassist
    I'll be over here composing with Steve Harris and Geddy Lee while you're wanking over Petrucci solos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #2957
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,657 Posts

Edited:

Really digging the vocals and real drums, also nolly

38. Post #2958
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,534 Posts
    there was a bassist before who tried out for the spot, he couldn't keep time by himself. the entire 3 hours after i learned he couldn't, we tried to teach him the timing for 12/8 and it didn't work. i got so pissed because he said he could..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #2959
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    there was a bassist before who tried out for the spot, he couldn't keep time by himself. the entire 3 hours after i learned he couldn't, we tried to teach him the timing for 12/8 and it didn't work. i got so pissed because he said he could..
    maybe you should stop trying out shitty bassists
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #2960
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,534 Posts
    maybe you should stop trying out shitty bassists
    well that was literally the only bassist who was shitty. the other ones were douchbag personalities. he was the 2011 all-state orch bass player and i was bros with him, he said he could play blues. but now i know that's a lie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)