1. Post #361
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,011 Posts
    That sucks, but you can't really go wrong with a Thunderbird. It's a classic. Even Lemmy's played one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #362
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    don't mind me just posting my rig

whether I use the peavey or sunn head depends on the size of the show
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #363
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,531 Posts
    p. hot

/creamedmyself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

4. Post #364
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    make fun of my wallpaper, I dare ya
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #365
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,970 Posts
    That sucks, but you can't really go wrong with a Thunderbird. It's a classic. Even Lemmy's played one.
    I'm probably going to get ridiculed for this, but when I saw that name I had to pause and think "Who?"

Generally I have a terrible time knowing people from bands anyway. Jordan Eberhardt is the only bassist I can name off the top of my head without thinking, and that's because I've met the guy half a dozen times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    don't mind me just posting my rig

whether I use the peavey or sunn head depends on the size of the show
    that's a pretty weird setup.
    on the other hand i'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper than a bass amp and head of equal power.

7. Post #367
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    that's a pretty weird setup.
    on the other hand i'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper than a bass amp and head of equal power.
    a lot of bass players use PA heads. as an added bonus this is pretty close to a typical frfr rig so I can get some fancy shit if I plug in a guitar and an axefx or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #368
    "For I have dined on honey dew..."
    May 2010
    1,238 Posts
    so i can pretty much play la villa strangiato on guitar all the way through its fun to play but i expected it to be harder than it was even the solos are not too challenging, maybe i am just getting better at guitar.

gotta say though it is one hell of a fun song to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    wish i could afford a fretless bass to play with :<

might save up for a bit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,638 Posts
    so i can pretty much play la villa strangiato on guitar all the way through its fun to play but i expected it to be harder than it was even the solos are not too challenging, maybe i am just getting better at guitar.

gotta say though it is one hell of a fun song to play.
    it's my favorite

reminds me of driving on the nurburgring

11. Post #371
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    I'm probably going to get ridiculed for this, but when I saw that name I had to pause and think "Who?"

Generally I have a terrible time knowing people from bands anyway. Jordan Eberhardt is the only bassist I can name off the top of my head without thinking, and that's because I've met the guy half a dozen times.
    He's the lead singer and bassist for Motorhead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,011 Posts

Yeah, Thoughtless got it. Motorhead. Lemmy's been playing Rickenbackers for many a year now though. I know Thunderbirds were massive in glam music, as well as the 80s in general, alongside Jackson, Charvel and whatnot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #373
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Charvel, Peavey, and Kramer were pretty much it back in the day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #374
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,011 Posts
    Can't beat pointy headstock 80s stuff. I like how basically nothing has changed on Jackson Concert bass since the 80s. I also like how Dave Ellefson is basically running the Jackson bass range now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #375
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    that nat finish bass in my rig photo up higher on this page is a 1985 Peavey Dynabass and it's the best bass in the world

the 80's were the best years for bass players

16. Post #376
    January 2012
    191 Posts
    Can anybody tell me why the Fender Precision bass is so much more popular than the Fender Jazz Bass? Seems every bassist I know plays the Precision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

17. Post #377
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    Can anybody tell me why the Fender Precision bass is so much more popular than the Fender Jazz Bass? Seems every bassist I know plays the Precision.
    the P-bass is a bit mellower. i don't know if that factors into their decision.

18. Post #378
    February 2005
    16,970 Posts
    I don't think I'm ordering from Musicians Friend again. Apparently making an order on Wednesday and having it ship on Thursday doesn't mean you get it Friday if you have two day shipping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

19. Post #379
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    a lot of people don't like the tight string spacing on the jazz. I think those people are wrong.

Edited:

I don't think I'm ordering from Musicians Friend again. Apparently making an order on Wednesday and having it ship on Thursday doesn't mean you get it Friday if you have two day shipping.
    I ordered my bass from rondo last Friday and its scheduled to come in Monday. 3-5 business days my ass.

Granted, between the weekend, Presidents Day, and Mardi Gras, I didn't pick the best time to order. Still should have gotten it tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

20. Post #380
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,638 Posts
    did you think about this when you posted it at all

if it ships on thursday with 2 day shipping, 2 days from thursday isn't friday

21. Post #381
    February 2005
    16,970 Posts
    did you think about this when you posted it at all

if it ships on thursday with 2 day shipping, 2 days from thursday isn't friday
    Ordered Wednesday, leaves shipping center on Thursday morning, should get here by Friday.

I dunno what is so hard.

22. Post #382
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Ordered Wednesday, leaves shipping center on Thursday morning, should get here by Friday.

I dunno what is so hard.
    it's from time of shipping not from time of order

2 business days is monday

23. Post #383
    February 2005
    16,970 Posts
    it's from time of shipping not from time of order

2 business days is monday
    It shipped today, it should be here tomorrow. Friday is still a business day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    It shipped today, it should be here tomorrow. Friday is still a business day.
    how about this: it means 48 hours but less than 3 days. if it shipped at say 2:30 PM and you receive it at 2:30 PM the next day that's only 24 hours, aka 1 day

seriously is this your first time shopping online or something because this is how it's always been with every single site ever

Edited:

or even using a courier service at all because any time a courier is used for any reason this is how it works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    a lot of people don't like the tight string spacing on the jazz. I think those people are wrong.
    I dislike the tight string spacing on jazz basses. When fingering. Because I'm six foot six and have proportionally sized hands. Methinks that's an objectively okay issue to have.

Lovely for picking, though.

26. Post #386
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    i have tiny hands so the jazz bass works out good for me.
    though basses look odd on me because i'm shorter than six-feet.

27. Post #387
    February 2005
    16,970 Posts
    how about this: it means 48 hours but less than 3 days. if it shipped at say 2:30 PM and you receive it at 2:30 PM the next day that's only 24 hours, aka 1 day

seriously is this your first time shopping online or something because this is how it's always been with every single site ever

Edited:

or even using a courier service at all because any time a courier is used for any reason this is how it works
    No, but every time I've ordered two day shipping I would have it in two days. This is the first time I've had such trouble just trying to get something on time.

28. Post #388
    UberMod
    May 2006
    1,652 Posts
    I've always picked quite strongly and aggressively, being semi-inspired by James Hetfield all those years ago. Fast forward about 9 years of self-taught guitaring and all of a sudden I'm realising that less is more.

I'm being more gentle with the strings and finding I can play stuff I never would've dreamed of last year. Alison Hell by Annihilator to name one song. I can also do the first minute of The Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater, even if it's one of the easier parts of the song.

I bet this is something a proper guitar teacher would've mentioned years and years ago, but ah well :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #389
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    nah it's more fun and satisfying to discover that for yourself

30. Post #390
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Picking lighter is no better than picking harder, it's about knowing when to do both.

Picking dynamics are king
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    I find myself picking too hard sometimes.

Can you tell?

The first thing my father taught me was picking and thank god for that. I often see guitar players who struggle because they are just balls out with their picking hand when they don't need to. Or I see the "always down" picking strategy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I pick extremely hard when I can. Sometimes though you need to pick softer and I've pretty much learned when I need to do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Yeah, I can see what you mean. My bad habit came from using REALLY thin picks and even when I would strum hard the strings wouldn't ring out very loud. I fixed that by switching to the jazz III picks, my playing has cleaned up ten fold since then.

34. Post #394
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    As a bass player I've got to say that jazz IIIs suck. Thin picks > *

Edited:

Orange tortex master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    As a part time bassist I choose Clayton .88 triangle picks. The Jazz III's do not offer much to a bassist, maybe the Jazz III XL.

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,346 Posts
    Have you replaced the strings? sometimes a shitty string can cause it
    Sweet, that solved the problem. Thanks!
    Costed me R$130 (that would be, if converted, U$76) for the set, I knew bass strings would be way more expensive than guitar's, but what the fuck.
    Ah the B string feels a lot better with a .130 though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Brazil Show Events

37. Post #397
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Sweet, that solved the problem. Thanks!
    Costed me R$130 (that would be, if converted, U$76) for the set, I knew bass strings would be way more expensive than guitar's, but what the fuck.
    Ah the B string feels a lot better with a .130 though.
    what strings did you get? I use a particularly pricy set of La Bellas for my 5 string and they're only ~55 USD

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,592 Posts
    I've heard people say that uncovering your humbuckers results in a brighter sound. Is this true?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

39. Post #399
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I've heard people say that uncovering your humbuckers results in a brighter sound. Is this true?
    not necessarily. uncovering PAFs results in a brighter sound, uncovering EMGs results in ruined pickups
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,346 Posts
    what strings did you get? I use a particularly pricy set of La Bellas for my 5 string and they're only ~55 USD
    It was that price thanks to all that importation taxes bullshit plus the extra price the store probably has in order to profit. Brazil has some ridiculously high taxes.
    I bought this: http://www.ernieball.com/products/ba...s-nickel-wound

Edited:

Were I to import them, the price would be around the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Brazil Show Events