1. Post #1121
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    But the tension still remains exactly the same, which is kinda what defines the force required to bend the strings.

It feels no different to play a FR guitar whether the nut is tightened or not, and my RG7621 tension-wise feels no different to my RG7620 when they have the same strings. It's all in your head man
    maybe it's in your head that it's the same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1122
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Put it this way, for strings of the same thickness, the string tension defines the pitch of the note played. It also is what opposes your attempts to bend it.

If you shorten the string, you decrease the tension and if you lengthen it you increase the tension. According to your logic that would imply that your guitar would go up in pitch as soon as you unlock the nut. In fact, by your logic the tension in the strings would change madly as you fret in different places.

As the case is, when you unlock the nut the string does not change pitch (except for a very minute amount due to the locking having pulled the string down into the nut slightly). As the pitch has not changed, and the thickness of the string hasn't magically changed, we can be sure that the tension has not changed...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1123
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    place your finger on the first fret

the pitch has changed, the tension has not

if you remove the nut from the equation and tune it to the same tension you will have a lower pitch

4. Post #1124
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    place your finger on the first fret

the pitch has changed, the tension has not

if you remove the nut from the equation and tune it to the same tension you will have a lower pitch

Correct. The nut works in the exact same way as a fret, it's just permanently fretted. It doesn't change the tension. Hence locking and unlocking it makes no difference.

My work here is done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #1125
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Correct. The nut works in the exact same way as a fret, it's just permanently fretted. It doesn't change the tension. Hence locking and unlocking it makes no difference.

My work here is done
    I don't think we're arguing about the same things

6. Post #1126
    Viking Chest hair simulator 2012
    June 2009
    2,382 Posts
    Here's a review with my schecter,

Here's one with my EMG 81/85

I've done accents with every video.

I think you guys are more likely to appreciate the reviews although, i have a bit of the mix up with schecter. I also do a lot of talking.

Another thing is i can't control the mic on my webcam and my other mics are broken.

For the moment any volume i do with a review will either be too loud, Or way too low to actually hear. I need some constructive criticism.

Alright i fixed one of my mics, Does anyone know how to be able to switch mics during recording from webcam?

7. Post #1127
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,012 Posts

Remind me to start working on my fingers like a mad motherfucker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #1128
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,684 Posts
    You'll be the first person I've ever heard claim the Chinese Epis are better than the Korean ones, period. And most of what you're saying sounds like forum kiddies bullshitting.

Yeah, but the only things any of them can be said to have made "on the side" are one company's electric violin.
    Ok. This is gonna go round and round, but you go to any forum you are gonna find biased information, everyone has a bias because everyone is different. Many say the quality has gone down recently, others have said it has gone up. But you know what, for every 1 guy that says the quality is shit 4 others come in and say it has gone up.

This is just the way it is gonna be, some people bash them just because they are made in China. They may have never played one in their life but their reason might be because somebody else told them they suck and they figure that is all the research they need.

I have been going back and forth on quite a few guitars and what I have seen is for my money, right now I see quality in Epiphone. Not as much as your American or Japanese guitar but there is quality that I had trouble finding in the other guitars within the range. I have played expensive guitars throughout my time playing, so I have been spoiled with these perfect action elite quality guitars. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow '91 Les Paul Studio. Such a beautiful guitar.

I have played a Korean Epiphone, I didn't like it. I didn't write down the serial so I have no clue which factory it was made in. I am not gonna ignore every Korean epi though just based on that one guitar. But I picked up a Chinese Epiphone 1958 explorer, and the guitar played so perfect. It didn't feel like I was holding a piece of balsa wood in my hands, this thing was heavy and dense. The whole guitar was vibrating in a way that some of the others didn't, and the action was so low I had just enough room to fit a dime under the 12th fret. No fret buzz at all.

This wasn't the first epi the guy at GC had set up like that.

So, there is my opinion on Epiphone quality right now. I have been playing for 10 years now, this is not some fanboy opinion.

9. Post #1129
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    You can't say that Chinese Epiphones are better because you've played one which was well set up (quite frankly the fact that it had been set up kind of renders it moot anyway) just like you admit you can't say Korean Epis are bd because you only played one which you didn't like.

This is a stupid argument, it's generally accepted that the Korean Epiphones were higher quality and the quality dipped when the change to Chinese factories were made, but overall I've seen an improvement in Epiphones and so have many others since then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,684 Posts
    You can't say that Chinese Epiphones are better because you've played one which was well set up (quite frankly the fact that it had been set up kind of renders it moot anyway) just like you admit you can't say Korean Epis are bd because you only played one which you didn't like.

This is a stupid argument, it's generally accepted that the Korean Epiphones were higher quality and the quality dipped when the change to Chinese factories were made, but overall I've seen an improvement in Epiphones and so have many others since then
    I did not state I have only played one chinese epiphone, and I am gonna be honest. The first one I played was a sub $300 guitar and it was the biggest piece of shit. High frets, the action was incredibly high because of this and the neck joint had a small gap on the side. That instantly turned me off and I went back to my old friend Ibanez and tried out a few of those. I almost left with an Ibanez but the Explorer was put up on the wall right before I made up my mind.

But I cannot say that every Epi $300 and above is good, I also picked up a SG style one (I am pretty sure it was the G-400) and it was alright. The guitar had a huge bow in the neck and the action was high. So I couldn't vouch towards it's quality because of that. I also had the chance to pick up a Epiphone les paul ultra III which played very well.

I don't see the guitar being setup as rendering it moot, any guitar from any company at any price range can have a bad setup from the factory. But I can see your point, and I cannot give it a fair answer until I get mine and set it up.

Not trying to backpedal here but I agree with you, this is a stupid argument. Why can't we all be friends. I am starting to remind myself of the old days with 454casull...

11. Post #1131
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I don't see the guitar being setup as rendering it moot, any guitar from any company at any price range can have a bad setup from the factory. But I can see your point, and I cannot give it a fair answer until I get mine and set it up.
    I meant that you said there was a GC employee doing setups, which renders the factory setup moot (obviously) as most guitars like you say have poor factory setups.

Edited:

But yes, I agree, dumb argument. The reverse headstock one was still dumber

12. Post #1132
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,684 Posts
    I meant that you said there was a GC employee doing setups, which renders the factory setup moot (obviously) as most guitars like you say have poor factory setups.

Edited:

But yes, I agree, dumb argument. The reverse headstock one was still dumber
    I get ya.

Back on topic, this song is SO much fun to play.

13. Post #1133
    September 2010
    2,326 Posts
    Where would be the best place for beginner (electric) tutorials?

14. Post #1134
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,156 Posts

right there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #1135
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Where would be the best place for beginner (electric) tutorials?
    sit down with paul gilbert's workshops for 10 hours

16. Post #1136
    December 2009
    1,239 Posts
    Ah so I finally have time again to start playing more than simple songs on my acoustic. My god was my amp dusty.

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest some songs to learn, preferably not metal?

17. Post #1137
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    Ah so I finally have time again to start playing more than simple songs on my acoustic. My god was my amp dusty.

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest some songs to learn, preferably not metal?
    Riding with the king- B.B. King and Eric Clapton?
    Tin pan alley- SRV
    anything from Robert Johnson.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #1138
    June 2005
    12,156 Posts
    goddamn tone king

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #1139
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    I feel like that was really dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #1140
    June 2005
    12,156 Posts
    I feel like you didn't get the joke

21. Post #1141
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    goddamn tone king

the volume on my jazzmaster is just a tone-knob so i have two tone knobs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #1142
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    speaking of tone knobs I figured out that my strat with the tone rolled off and all neck position pushed through a pitch shifter makes a sound exactly like a mudbucker

I'll be using that tone in a recording eventually

23. Post #1143
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    257 Posts
    goddamn tone king

Acoustic simulator
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1144
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,034 Posts
    Leaving in about 5 minutes to go see Steve Vai, Steve Lukather and Joe Satriani at G3.
    Never been a huge Vai fan, but absolutely psyched to see him. Technically the man is flawless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #1145
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I'm probably going to sell my gear, I've given up on guitar
    I was wondering, I got a Epi SG400, no scratches, wear or tear, no nothing because I just played it in my room for three years
    I bought it for like, $500, what do you reckon I could get for it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

26. Post #1146
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    if it's like new condish, you could probably get $400 for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

27. Post #1147
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Sweet
    I'll probably restring it sometime soon and clear the fretboard/shine it up
    It really never left my room and I was always careful
    I guess it'll pay off

28. Post #1148
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    $300 you'll get, in mint 60% is about what to expect

Edited:

Leaving in about 5 minutes to go see Steve Vai, Steve Lukather and Joe Satriani at G3.
    Never been a huge Vai fan, but absolutely psyched to see him. Technically the man is flawless.
    Lukather is a shockingly underrated player. His tone and vibrato is absolutely amazing, especially live
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1149
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    $300 ain't bad

30. Post #1150
    June 2005
    12,156 Posts
    Lukather is a shockingly underrated player. His tone and vibrato is absolutely amazing, especially live
    his blues jams are amazing

especially some of the ones with steve morse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #1151
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    his blues jams are amazing

especially some of the ones with steve morse
    The Little Wing one blew my mind, shame it got taken down from YouTube

Edited:

Also I really want a JTM45

32. Post #1152
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Also I really want a JTM45
    i want a Park 100 watt head like the dude from Fugazi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Oh you lucky son of a bitch
    If just to see Satch...god damn.

34. Post #1154
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,780 Posts
    I'm going to start teaching Bass Guitar soon. (As part of an overall solution to being self employed :D - Alongside Live sound, Gigging, Home Studio and Computer Repair)

I can't wait to be my own boss.

Currently making leaflet's for some local music shops, and putting together a tuition plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #1155
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I've thought about giving bass lessons but I dint like the idea of teaching your occasional 12 year old who thinks he's the best bass player ever because he just learned his first Primus song
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1156
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,780 Posts
    My thoughts are, if they are spending money to learn bass off you then they at least respect your skill of the instrument. As such, make them play something simple (many of these show-off slapfest bassists fail at the basics!) and point out their many flaws and proceed to fix them.

That's my theory anyway. I know a few bassists that are just like you describe

Speaking of theory, I'm going to try weave basic theory and improvisation techniques into my plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #1157
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,012 Posts
    $300 you'll get, in mint 60% is about what to expect
    Problem is, at present, that ain't their asking price. You can find one new right now on Musician's Friend for $350. He's looking at just over $200.
    $300 ain't bad
    Just keep the damn thing in case you ever need to bludgeon a stray gorilla. Put it on a cheap wall mount and forget about it.

38. Post #1158
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    Problem is, at present, that ain't their asking price. You can find one new right now on Musician's Friend for $350. He's looking at just over $200.

Just keep the damn thing in case you ever need to bludgeon a stray gorilla. Put it on a cheap wall mount and forget about it.
    EnG is an Aussie though, no way you'll get one there for $350AUD

39. Post #1159
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,012 Posts
    EnG is an Aussie though, no way you'll get one there for $350AUD
    Oh, right. I forgot their prices on everything were as backwards as their toilets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #1160
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    and their mammals