1. Post #1321
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    you can go up to 500 but dont want to / rather buy a cheap shite bass that would perhaps do more harm than good. :D

Id give recommendations but I dont know good basses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #1322
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,270 Posts
    So, God forbid my THIRD Thunderbird exchange doesn't come in working condition, I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...ic-bass-guitar

I can grab it for $250 at my local GC. Opinions?
    I have that bass. It's pretty awesome. Good action and fretwork, the neck feels nice, and the pickups sound pretty good. The EQ is rather powerful and does its job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1323
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    21,545 Posts
    Anyone wanna tell a noob if there's any way to fix a horrible neck dive?

It feels like the headstock is 3x the weight of my Mockingbird's body or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

4. Post #1324
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Move the strap pins or route a chunk out of the body and replace it with metal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1325
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    You could put some weight in the electronics cavity if you don't wanna modify your guitar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #1326
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    You could put some weight in the electronics cavity if you don't wanna modify your guitar.
    there should be some extra room in there but it won't be much

Edited:

if it has a trem you might be able to just stick a heavier block on it

7. Post #1327
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,798 Posts

This is my new Fender CD160 12 string. It's totally mint, not even a scratch on the pick guard. Has brass bridge pins capped with pearl inlay to match the inlay in the fretboard and the logo. Also I got a free feedbackbuster, strap, hard-shell case, elixir strings already on it and another pack of elixirs for later.

It's just hard as fuck to play the damn thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #1328
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,378 Posts
    So, God forbid my THIRD Thunderbird exchange doesn't come in working condition, I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...ic-bass-guitar

I can grab it for $250 at my local GC. Opinions?
    Get a SR305 Ibby

I hate thunderbirds for....
    reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1329
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,963 Posts
    hell I hear the squire range are good.
    The pack crap is...well, crap, but yes, some of them are stellar. I have a vintage modified jazz, and it's pretty damn acceptable.

If you can't afford or don't want to sink $600 into fender standard jazz, you take a $300 squier- you like it, add $160 SD antiquity II pickups and a $180 warmoth neck and you've got the fender. Just costs $40 (and labor if you can't solder/unscrew a neck) more than buying one outright.

Edited:

Does anybody here own a GK amp beyond Tezz?

10. Post #1330
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    13,958 Posts
    I need an electric.

It's strange, I have an amp, I have cables to plug things into the amp, I have a cable to plug the amp into the computer...but the only guitar I actually HAVE is acoustic. If I steal my nephew's guitar that's one thing but I can't steal it that much :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1331
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,378 Posts
    What i've been doing:

New Pickups, Trussrod Cover, roller bridge for V
    New P90s, Tuners for Les Paul

12. Post #1332

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Is that V slightly asymmetric? I Really like the look it has.
    Classy looking, though i'd slap kill-switch or something in place of tone, since I never use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

13. Post #1333
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,378 Posts
    Is that V slightly asymmetric? I Really like the look it has.
    Classy looking, though i'd slap kill-switch or something in place of tone, since I never use it.
    What do you mean asymmetric?

14. Post #1334

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Not symmetric.

Left wing looks slightly larger, and left side of headstock looks bit curved, bit like this. It might be the fence behind it, though.

15. Post #1335
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,378 Posts
    Not symmetric.

Left wing looks slightly larger, and left side of headstock looks bit curved, bit like this. It might be the fence behind it, though.
    That's just the ipod and it's cloudy outside. It is completely symmetric, and I like it that way.

16. Post #1336
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    Any opinions on these Fender Modern Player Guitars?

17. Post #1337
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    21,967 Posts
    old guitars with modern touches. I think they were designed to be a step above the Squier Vintage Modified series. basically, they're good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

18. Post #1338
    April 2012
    3,181 Posts
    I ditched my Bugera and bought an Orange Dark Terror. Now, I just use the speakers that my Bugera came with (which are okay)

All I can say is the Dark Terror is great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

19. Post #1339
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,520 Posts
    I ditched my Bugera and bought an Orange Dark Terror. Now, I just use the speakers that my Bugera came with (which are okay)

All I can say is the Dark Terror is great.
    I love the Dark Terror, only thing I didn't like is it doesn't do a sparkling clean at high volume but I love that slightly crunchy overdrive tone anyways so it is my dream amp. I got the chance to play one at a Guitar Center and I played it for so long they almost kicked me off it haha. Cool thing is it was hooked up to one of the old Marshall 4x12 tall cabinets.

20. Post #1340
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    my peavy does perfect cleans until I'm at 10 on the pre gain and doesn't distort at all on post

I love it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1341
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,185 Posts
    Decided to go on the safe side with my "for sale" project and just go with a tele shape since the Spanish cedar block was a pretty tight fit. Will do something more interesting for my own new guitar afterwards.

Think "telecaster custom" without the pickgaurd and a curved black walnut top instead.

Here's the thread

http://facepunch.com/threads/1177445...2#post35574022
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

22. Post #1342
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,365 Posts
    What your guys' opinion on Charvel guitars? There's a guitar shop opening near where i work and they have a few that look and feel awesome and are $300-500 range or so.

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/searc...tno=2931021557 It's like this one, but they have it in more colors.

(also fuck yeah privately owned music shop, no more schmitt music or music go round fucking everything up)

23. Post #1343
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    What your guys' opinion on Charvel guitars? There's a guitar shop opening near where i work and they have a few that look and feel awesome and are $300-500 range or so.

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/searc...tno=2931021557 It's like this one, but they have it in more colors.

(also fuck yeah privately owned music shop, no more schmitt music or music go round fucking everything up)
    only buy vintage charvels, it's crap since fender took over
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

24. Post #1344
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,365 Posts
    Probably better than my epiphone sg special, but if that's the case i can get more for my money by looking around more.

25. Post #1345
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    it's miles better than anything gibson has ever touched and it really is about the best in the price range for new gear but the vintage charvels are the best things ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #1346
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,365 Posts
    I'll keep that in mind, though i might dig around on craigslist, sometimes you can find some damn good shit for cheap

hm looks like active pickups though, eh

27. Post #1347
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    I have a plan. I'm gonna write some songs, put them up on ytube, monetise, put $35 in my paypal. Get body wood, model guitar, and hopefully get dosh from the vidyas for parts. Don't need wiring or knobs, dad has plenty.

I'm probably gonna get a piece of plexi and make a pickguard out of it.    gonna get it signed by the sexiest girl in the school   

Edited:

CNC router tables gonna help a bunch. After this one, I'm gonna try to sell the body pieces. I'm also planning on selling whole guitars, with a request on materials and pups. It'll be materials+shipping for materials and electronics+electronics+50 dosh labor fee. Should get me a nice profit since I expect it to be around 300 total for everything.

Edited:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-2-PIECE...ht_1777wt_1185

Is this a good block of wood? I don't think I have glue though, so I need to find a pre glued blank.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

28. Post #1348
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,446 Posts
    I want a blank nitro/celluloid pick guard. But they're so expensive because no one makes them anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

29. Post #1349
    April 2012
    3,181 Posts
    I have a plan. I'm gonna write some songs, put them up on ytube, monetise, put $35 in my paypal. Get body wood, model guitar, and hopefully get dosh from the vidyas for parts. Don't need wiring or knobs, dad has plenty.

I'm probably gonna get a piece of plexi and make a pickguard out of it.    gonna get it signed by the sexiest girl in the school   

Edited:

CNC router tables gonna help a bunch. After this one, I'm gonna try to sell the body pieces. I'm also planning on selling whole guitars, with a request on materials and pups. It'll be materials+shipping for materials and electronics+electronics+50 dosh labor fee. Should get me a nice profit since I expect it to be around 300 total for everything.

Edited:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-2-PIECE...ht_1777wt_1185

Is this a good block of wood? I don't think I have glue though, so I need to find a pre glued blank.
    Good luck man. I reckon the easiest way for small Youtubers like you and me is to make money through video game videos, but if you manage it through music you could get a nice little fanbase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #1350
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    Good luck man. I reckon the easiest way for small Youtubers like you and me is to make money through video game videos, but if you manage it through music you could get a nice little fanbase.
    I thought I couldn't monetize video games. If I could, I'd monetize my two TF2 videos.If I can, I'm gonna make more.

31. Post #1351
    April 2012
    3,181 Posts
    I thought I couldn't monetize video games. If I could, I'd monetize my two TF2 videos.If I can, I'm gonna make more.
    It depends. It is very unclear as one of my videos of Skyrim made me $50, then Youtube de-monetized it (which doesn't take it down or anything) while I have like 3-4 other Skyrim vids still making a couple bucks here or there.

Regardless, I'd monetize any video if it gets enough views and isn't just some band's song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #1352
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts
    Does anybody have a list of what the letters on top of some tabs mean?

I know "S" means 1/16 note, and "E" is 1/8 note, ".H" is dotted half, but what re the rest?
    Code:
     H.       E E    E       E  E a     +e  E E E E   E E e E +Q   E S      +S
    is an example.

33. Post #1353
    April 2012
    3,181 Posts
    Does anybody have a list of what the letters on top of some tabs mean?

I know "S" means 1/16 note, and "E" is 1/8 note, ".H" is dotted half, but what re the rest?
    Code:
     H.       E E    E       E  E a     +e  E E E E   E E e E +Q   E S      +S
    is an example.
    No idea, never seen that on a tab. I usually either know a song well enough I don't need timing written, that or I use Guitar Pro haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #1354
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,446 Posts
    What does a burr in the saddle look like? I assume it's a groove that the string likes to sit into?

35. Post #1355
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    What does a burr in the saddle look like? I assume it's a groove that the string likes to sit into?
    they're generally pretty hard to see. there should be a groove that the string is meant to sit in in the bridge and a burr in the saddle is a manufacturing defect in that groove

36. Post #1356
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,446 Posts
    Are you sure it can't happen over time? I never had to worry about breaking a high e string until recently. it's pretty noticeable too. also, is it hard to DIY fix it?

37. Post #1357
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    It can't happen over time with normal use. Easiest way is to replace the saddle but if you've got a fine machine file and a ton of confidence you can get it out yourself

38. Post #1358
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,520 Posts
    I got this abrasive wire that works wonders on sharp edges and burs, friend of mine was snapping his g string all the time (lol) and I took some of it to the saddle and he never had any problems after that. It comes in different thicknesses as well.

39. Post #1359
    February 2011
    5,346 Posts

40. Post #1360
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Something I've been working on for a while. Feel free to criticise!