1. Post #1361
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Something I've been working on for a while. Feel free to criticise!
    Best thing I've heard from you. Honestly, that sounds REALLY good.

I'll add some constructive criticisms: Playing-wise, 0:32 sounds a bit sloppy, as does the transition at 0:38. The heavy riff after isn't as tight as it could be. Mix-wise, it sounds a little flat, like it needs to be more stereo. And it's probably my new headphones that I'm not entirely used to, but it sounds a little bass-heavy and thick for my tastes. Though that's really a personal thing. Aside from that, it sounds great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

2. Post #1362
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Best thing I've heard from you. Honestly, that sounds REALLY good.

I'll add some constructive criticisms: Playing-wise, 0:32 sounds a bit sloppy, as does the transition at 0:38. The heavy riff after isn't as tight as it could be. Mix-wise, it sounds a little flat, like it needs to be more stereo. And it's probably my new headphones that I'm not entirely used to, but it sounds a little bass-heavy and thick for my tastes. Though that's really a personal thing. Aside from that, it sounds great.
    Thanks a bunch!

The bass is dominating at some parts of the song and I will lower it more when the song is done entirely. The transition sounds a bit off because the heavy riff before the clean part stops so suddenly and it same goes for the part that starts after the cleant part. Some background noise would make it blend in a bit better I bet, so that's what I'll try next.

As for the mixing, it's not ready yet, because I wanted to try out how the song would sound when mixed and smacked together.

Thanks for the criticism anyways, I'll see what I can do about the stuff you pointed out in the final mix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

3. Post #1363
    I sell weed to elementary school students
    February 2009
    11,682 Posts

DAT GUITAR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Norway Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #1364
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,151 Posts
    dat gimmick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

5. Post #1365
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    So i'm at best buy

daddario 9s or 10s for 3.79 a pack

I think I can deal with 10s for 3.79
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #1366

December 2011
    606 Posts
    That's pretty decent deal, cheapest i have seen has been 4€ (for Daddario 10's).

I play GHS mainly these day's, they are good enough, and go for 3.50 some times. Long living too, at least with me since i have pretty low tension on strings most of the time. 8's on e standard w/ 0.3mm action on E at 12th fret.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

7. Post #1367
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    daddarios are normally 5 a pack around here so 3.79 is pretty amazing

that's gonna be nice when I'm buying strings for the guitar I keep in all fifths, I normally buy 3 different sets and mix and match for that one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #1368
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,684 Posts
    When I had my employee discount at best buy I was buying d'addario's for $2.50 and because there is no sales tax in Anchorage I mean $2.50.

I am stuck on D'addario's EXL140 10-52, still have my light strings for bending and the heavy strings if I wanna drop my tuning.

9. Post #1369
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,277 Posts
    I've been using GHS mostly because of their normal top, REALLY heavy bottom strings. .10 to .60? yes please

10. Post #1370
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    When I had my employee discount at best buy I was buying d'addario's for $2.50 and because there is no sales tax in Anchorage I mean $2.50.

I am stuck on D'addario's EXL140 10-52, still have my light strings for bending and the heavy strings if I wanna drop my tuning.
    Anchorage? As in, Alaska?

Edited:

I've been using GHS mostly because of their normal top, REALLY heavy bottom strings. .10 to .60? yes please
    Woah that's a pretty sweet string range. My preferred DR .10s were I believe .10-.56

11. Post #1371
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    .012-.54 or bust

12. Post #1372
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    .012-.54 or bust
    um .008-.062

Edited:

behold the glory of all fifths
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #1373
    September 2008
    225 Posts
    I use the same 10-60's , also use the Dunlop ones, same gauge and boomers 11-70's for extra low

Only for my floyd rose I use DR 10-56
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

14. Post #1374
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    .13 - .80 duh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

15. Post #1375
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    going by my current gauge of bass strings, you have a bass A string on your low E
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #1376
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,277 Posts
    I think there's some kind of difference between guitar and bass strings. Guitar strings are supposed to be looser when tuned to pitch than bass strings. Something to do with the cores that makes em sound different

17. Post #1377
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I think there's some kind of difference between guitar and bass strings. Guitar strings are supposed to be looser when tuned to pitch than bass strings. Something to do with the cores that makes em sound different
    bass strings usually just have a regular guitar core but are wound twice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #1378
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    How would you use power chords in a song titled "No love in hell"?

I'm thinking it as a hard blues rock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

19. Post #1379
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    A friend of mine is giving me a disassembled Fender MIM Strat for free. All I need is the bridge and it'd be fully functional assuming the electronics work right.

Since it was already disassembled, I was thinking of maybe painting the body a different color. Maybe new pickups.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

20. Post #1380
    April 2012
    3,301 Posts

Just a little improvisation thing, playing around with an effects set

Oh, I also threw in a bit of the Tristram song from Diablo towards the end
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

21. Post #1381
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,558 Posts
    A friend of mine is giving me a disassembled Fender MIM Strat for free. All I need is the bridge and it'd be fully functional assuming the electronics work right.

Since it was already disassembled, I was thinking of maybe painting the body a different color. Maybe new pickups.
    Black hardware? Green body?

That is really nice man, I even have a good bridge for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Import-U...ht_1856wt_1163

It won't let you down.

Maybe you should add a zebra humbucker in the bridge :3

Also looks like you are missing the neck plate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #1382
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    Riddle me something, builder dudes.
    About how much does putting a plain solid color finish on a guitar body require in terms of materials and time?

23. Post #1383
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts

paint it like this

and put a Barekuckle Painkiller in the bridge with nothing else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1384
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Riddle me something, builder dudes.
    About how much does putting a plain solid color finish on a guitar body require in terms of materials and time?
    depends on how you want the finish to look. anywhere between a few days to about a month. solid color will take only a few hours of actual work. as far as materials, you can do it with spray paint if you want, but personally I prefer to dye the wood, seal it, and give it a thin clearcoat with colortone spray lacquer or a polyurethane paint depending on how I want it to look, feel, and sound. I generally only use around 8 coats total (more if I'm using a particularly porous wood like mahogany) but some people will do up to 20 coats if they're doing something crazy like triburst on a koa body

Edited:

paint it like this

that sounds painful

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I generally use neck pickup only

sometimes I'll even roll off the tone knob depending on what I'm playing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1385
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,684 Posts
    Anchorage? As in, Alaska?
    That is correct sir.

26. Post #1386
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,144 Posts
    That is correct sir.
    How's the meth?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #1387
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    That is correct sir.
    Jesus man you most definitely qualify for "middle of nowhere" status
    For some reason I thought you were from Europe...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1388
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I still don't understand why anyone would ever only put one pickup in a guitar. There is literally no advantage besides cost, and the neck position sounds too awesome to give up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #1389
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    I still don't understand why anyone would ever only put one pickup in a guitar. There is literally no advantage besides cost, and the neck position sounds too awesome to give up
    I use my neck pickup more now that I know that it gives me a deeper sound.

30. Post #1390
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,151 Posts
    the more treble the better

hell if I could put the pickup behind the bridge I would
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1391
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,558 Posts
    I am so determined to learn this shit:

I can improv some of it already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #1392
    April 2012
    3,301 Posts
    It's a good song
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1393
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    the more treble the better hell if I could put the pickup behind the bridge I would
    bridge with integrated pickup.

34. Post #1394
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    It usually provides a fairly different tone. For example, when you've got a 2 pickup guitar, the neck pickups magnets are still affecting the strings. Les Paul Juniors sound goddamn kickass. May be something to do with the P-90 though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1395
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    If I was gonna get a single pup guitar I'd put it right in the middle and and have a beefy tone control and treble bleed on the volume
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1396
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,684 Posts
    Jesus man you most definitely qualify for "middle of nowhere" status
    For some reason I thought you were from Europe...
    I don't live there right now, I moved back to Spokane, WA.

I was born in Kenai, AK which is WAY more remote and a lot smaller than Anchorage. I spent about 3 years in Alaska to visit my family and then I came back Spokane.

I wish I was from Europe but... nope. I am an American, nice to meet you.

As far as the meth Banned? It killed one of my cousins while I was there and got a couple more addicted. But that is a longer story than I am willing to share.

I love Alaska but I am young and active, I mean I am a backwoods kind of guy but the only fun you find in Kenai is the fun you make for yourself. Anchorage is a different story, it reminds me of Spokane.

37. Post #1397
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    It usually provides a fairly different tone. For example, when you've got a 2 pickup guitar, the neck pickups magnets are still affecting the strings. Les Paul Juniors sound goddamn kickass. May be something to do with the P-90 though.
    We'll see soon I guess. My Ibanez only has a bridge pup in it right now because I'm still gathering funds for the neck pup I want. I'll be sure to do some before/after recordings.

Actually I will admit that I don't hate this guitar with one pickup. Because I put a neck pickup in the bridge and has a much less bitey sound clean, but still sounds really tight with distortion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #1398
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,332 Posts
    I think my guitar's neck is more curved than it should be.
    Is it bad If I'm able to press all the strings beyond the last fret (22nd), pluck them somewhere in the neck and they vibrate fully, from the nut up to the last fret, as though I were pressing a fret normally?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Brazil Show Events

39. Post #1399
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,860 Posts
    That probably has to do with the height of your nut. The strings aren't sitting right off the frets, the nut brings them up a little higher than that.

40. Post #1400
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,332 Posts
    I am pretty sure it is due to myself testing higher tensions weeks ago, though.
    In my last string set, a .011, the first string broke and so, out of boredom, I wondered what would the 5 string guitar sound like if I tuned it a little higher. I think I got up to G# once, and ended up leaving it one night on that tension, or something similar (~G tuning). After I changed the strings to a .010, I felt as if the strings were higher than before.
    If that is the case, how can I fix this problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Brazil Show Events