1. Post #1401
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,881 Posts
    All of my electric guitars exhibit the behavior you describe, but their necks are all straight. They're all single plane, bolt on neck, strat-like designs.

But if you observe that the neck isn't straight, you can take the guitar to a luthier and have him adjust the truss rod to compensate for it, or carefully attempt to adjust it yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1402
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    instead of holding down just at the end, hold down the first and last frets

if your strings touch the fingerboard, your neck is bent backwards, if it's more than half a millimeter it's bent forwards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1403
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,010 Posts
    We'll see soon I guess. My Ibanez only has a bridge pup in it right now because I'm still gathering funds for the neck pup I want. I'll be sure to do some before/after recordings.

Actually I will admit that I don't hate this guitar with one pickup. Because I put a neck pickup in the bridge and has a much less bitey sound clean, but still sounds really tight with distortion.
    I think it's some kind of BS like that anyway, I'm not really sure. Kramer made a lot of single humbucker guitars in the 80s, with a slanted pickup.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #1404
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,627 Posts
    kramer is that one really cool brand that I always forget about

I want one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1405
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I love pre-gibson and pre-plywood kramers but since about the mid 80s they all suck

6. Post #1406
    April 2012
    3,416 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

7. Post #1407
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    headstock too pointy would not fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #1408
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,966 Posts
    headstock too pointy would not fuck
    I hate all those Jackson-style headstocks. I think they make everything look ugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1409
    UberMod
    May 2006
    1,652 Posts
    I gutted my very first guitar I got about 8 years ago, it's now only got a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and copious amounts of duct tape. It's tuned to drop-C and is one obnoxious little biatch!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #1410
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    I gutted my very first guitar I got about 8 years ago, it's now only got a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and copious amounts of duct tape. It's tuned to drop-C and is one obnoxious little biatch!
    I covered my guitar in duct tape a while back, it looked cool but I used cheap duct tape and it didn't last long...

I might do it again with gorilla tape but my guitar looks cool right now.

What do you think? should I cover it?

11. Post #1411
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    yeah that's a great idea if you want zero sustain and zero resonance

Edited:

I might rewire my strat, two tone controls is dumb imo

I'll probably move the volume knob down to the neck tone knob and put a killswitch in it's place, and then the two tone positions will be volume and tone but I'm undecided and open to suggestions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1412
    June 2005
    12,627 Posts
    I think you should wash your hair

you're reinforcing all the negative ibanez stereotypes

Edited:

I hate all those Jackson-style headstocks. I think they make everything look ugly.
    jackson makes the best looking Vs there are solely because of that headstock
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #1413
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    WAIT FUCK EVERYTHING

3 concentric pots, bottom ring controls individual volume, top ring controls individual tone

and I'll get a new pickguard from somewhere without a hole for the selector switch

14. Post #1414
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    I think you should wash your hair

you're reinforcing all the negative ibanez stereotypes

Edited:

jackson makes the best looking Vs there are solely because of that headstock
    Not even my hair was still wet after just being washed.

15. Post #1415
    June 2005
    12,627 Posts
    I don't believe you

but as far as the guitar's concerned, at the very least you should get rid of the apple sticker because it makes you look like a cunt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #1416
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    I don't believe you

but as far as the guitar's concerned, at the very least you should get rid of the apple sticker because it makes you look like a cunt
    I would but it would still leave behind a shiny apple shaped spot on my guitar. Funny thing is I hate Apple...

17. Post #1417
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    remove it and scuff it up in that spot. that finish you've got isn't meant to be pretty anyway

that or cover it with one of those black stripes that look like electric tape

18. Post #1418
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    remove it and scuff it up in that spot. that finish you've got isn't meant to be pretty anyway

that or cover it with one of those black stripes that look like electric tape
    I might mutilate it and just keep it on there.

19. Post #1419
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    killswitch
    Fuck, I forgot these existed. But I've got a no-load tone pot now, so I may as well use it. Next time I have three control spots, I guess.

Edited:

I might mutilate it and just keep it on there.

Added bonus of pissing people off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1420
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Fuck, I forgot these existed. But I've got a no-load tone pot now, so I may as well use it. Next time I have three control spots, I guess.

Edited:

I might just do that haha. I can already see the hate comments on my youtube covers...

21. Post #1421
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,010 Posts
    tempting

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_bent...h_bundle_2.htm

kramer is that one really cool brand that I always forget about

I want one
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/kramer_guit...cial_black.htm

Edited:

I love pre-gibson and pre-plywood kramers but since about the mid 80s they all suck
    the gibby ones are all mahogany I think though, which is a plus. they look awesome and sound it too. I just wish it wasn't gibson that owned them though, gibson are terrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #1422
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

Edited:

Killswitches are important shit man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #1423
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Killswitches are important shit man
    Yeah, but I'm a home studio guitarist only, and I've got kill buttons on my rig, so I don't really need one except as control filler. And I've already got a pot for that, so, next time.

Edited:

I forget, does anybody here play bass really besides, like, four of us? I'm wondering about replacement pickups for my Squier jazz, something cheap and versatile but better than OEM. Antiquity IIs maybe.

24. Post #1424
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Yeah, but I'm a home studio guitarist only, and I've got kill buttons on my rig, so I don't really need one except as control filler. And I've already got a pot for that, so, next time.

Edited:

I forget, does anybody here play bass really besides, like, four of us? I'm wondering about replacement pickups for my Squier jazz, something cheap and versatile but better than OEM. Antiquity IIs maybe.
    afaik siminov, tezzy, dcalde, and me are the only other regulars who play bass as their primary weapon

25. Post #1425
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    Yeah I used to have a kill switch in my Ibanez, you can see in the picture I posted above there is a white and red switch. The red one used to be a kill switch but after I wired my '59 to be four conductor I got rid of the killswitch for that. I really don't see a use for one in a jamming or home studio rig. Nice but I found a better use for that switch.

26. Post #1426
    December 2009
    2,627 Posts
    Using a piece of shit Yamaha F-310 acoustic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

27. Post #1427
    June 2005
    12,627 Posts
    whoa that's awesome

except I don't want to give gibson my money
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #1428
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,010 Posts
    whoa that's awesome

except I don't want to give gibson my money
    my Disciple off of the Kramer/Gibson site is like 450, I got it for 250, but thomann are selling it for less than 200 now. They crank out some good deals.

Edited:

Edited:

If I were you I'd go for some Fender pickups that you can find in various places around the net but personally I'd got for some Hot for Jazz Bass SJB-2s, by Seymour Duncan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1429
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,541 Posts
    Using a piece of shit Yamaha F-310 acoustic.
    The G55 (I think that is what I have) is a well made Yamaha classical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #1430
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    the inside of my slide is all full of sweat

shit gets gross after a while
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #1431
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    the inside of my slide is all full of sweat

shit gets gross after a while
    Wow I just checked mine, ewww.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #1432
    April 2012
    3,416 Posts

Did a cover of Head Crusher by Megadeth while learning how to actually use Cubase and figure out how to make it all sound good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #1433
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,010 Posts
    when Kramer originally started with wooden necks over aluminium, they had these headstocks that Fender sued over I think

Edited:

wrong trem spring setup, would not fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1434
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    yeah and after that they ripped off the j frog headstock, and now they're using one of the old charvel headstock designs

kramer is terrible at coming up with original designs

35. Post #1435
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,648 Posts
    when Kramer originally started with wooden necks over aluminium, they had these headstocks that Fender sued over I think

Edited:

wrong trem spring setup, would not fuck
    How is that wrong? I did that to my 2 strats and ibbys.

36. Post #1436
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    How is that wrong? I did that to my 2 strats and ibbys.
    Honestly I have seen it work on some guitars but it is completely wrong.

You want every spring to have equal tension on the block and if you have them angled like that the two outer spring are gonna have more tension than the middle and in some guitars I have seen the spring fall out from tremolo use.

Keep your springs parallel and happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1437
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,648 Posts
    Honestly I have seen it work on some guitars but it is completely wrong.

You want every spring to have equal tension on the block and if you have them angled like that the two outer spring are gonna have more tension than the middle and in some guitars I have seen the spring fall out from tremolo use.

Keep your springs parallel and happy.
    I've had no problems with them probably because all my bridges are 6 point.

Recently on the .11 strat, I put in 2 springs on each side for a total of 4. But my Orange Strat has that 3 configuration.

38. Post #1438
    November 2010
    486 Posts
    Just got some shiny new pedals. A morley bass wah and a Korg pitchblack tuner pedal

Been just fucking around with the wah allday. And the Korg is fucking awesome.

Im just a bit afraid of the Harley Benton Power supply blowing my pedals up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

39. Post #1439
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,773 Posts
    I've had no problems with them probably because all my bridges are 6 point.

Recently on the .11 strat, I put in 2 springs on each side for a total of 4. But my Orange Strat has that 3 configuration.

Ok on a serious note, it is still a good idea to line up your springs. I am not gonna tell you how to setup your guitar because... Well it is your guitar, but I used to set up the same way till I figured out that it isn't correct.

I am a sucker for simplicity and before I blocked my tremolo it helped stabilize my tuning a little better for string bending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #1440
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,199 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events