1. Post #1601
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,041 Posts
    Learn right handed guitar then, just because you're left handed doesn't mean you have to learn left handed guitar. It does involve both hands after all.
    Conventional wisdom states you put your dominant hand on whatever task is most repetitive and your other hand on whatever else, and picking is the most repetitive task in guitar playing. Just works better in general for most people.
    Then again, MAB and all those other nutjobs do fine as lefties playing right, so who the fuck knows.
    Problem is, I'm lefty, so I can't exactly just steal a friend's and learn on that.
    Hendrix got away with just restringing a right to play left...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #1602
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,478 Posts

Albert King didn't bother restringing his
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #1603
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,493 Posts
    Albert King didn't bother restringing his
    Neither did Hendrix at first (if memory serves).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #1604
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Conventional wisdom states you put your dominant hand on whatever task is most repetitive and your other hand on whatever else, and picking is the most repetitive task in guitar playing. Just works better in general for most people.
    Then again, MAB and all those other nutjobs do fine as lefties playing right, so who the fuck knows.

It makes more sense for the dominant hand to do the more dexterous task, aka fretting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #1605
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts

I reckon it'd probably be easier to learn lefty if you are a lefty, but it probably doesn't really matter in the long term as you grow accustomed to it. Plus, picking/fingering are foreign movements in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1606
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,141 Posts
    I've fooled around with a few guitars at various friend's houses, and it's safe to say that I vastly prefer playing left-handed. Anyway, I've narrowed it down to the two cheapest lefty-guitars I could find:

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
    Squier Affinity Stratocaster

I'm pretty low on cash, but I can probably save enough to buy one of these. Out of these two, which is better?

What music do you want to play?
    Whatever comes naturally to me, I guess. I have a preference for punk, blues, indie, and a whole shitload of other genres, but I'd be happy playing whatever I wind up being best at. I guess I'd like to just aim for something that can play between genres.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #1607
    February 2011
    5,478 Posts
    A Strat or Les Paul would be good for you. What this forum usually tends to do when talking about getting Strats is get a used Fender mexican Strat off of someplace instead of a Squier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #1608
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,141 Posts
    A Strat or Les Paul would be good for you. What this forum usually tends to do when talking about getting Strats is get a used Fender mexican Strat off of someplace instead of a Squier.
    Thanks, that narrows it down pretty well for me! Hopefully I can find a relatively cheap one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #1609
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,882 Posts
    8-38? that sounds bloody awful.
    It is. I paid $7 for nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #1610
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    The LP is a little more basic, but it should be a little bit cheaper, and comes in packages that include a cheap little solid state amp, guitar bag, picks, strap, etc, and these packages are similarly priced to the Squier by itself. If you already have an amp and accessories and stuff then this won't matter for you. Also in a store you can negotiate a deal so you could work out some kind of package with either one.

The reduced complexity might not necessarily be a bad thing, either. It makes the guitar a lot easier to deal with and probably easier to approach. I'd personally rather set up the epiphone than the squier, I'm lazy. And I can't say I ever needed a tremelo when I was a beginner, really don't need one now, but that's up to you and how you play. Also the guitars will sound different, single coils vs humbuckers. And each unique individual will probably have a different level of quality so be sure you play it before you buy it.

Other than that though they're essentially the same thing, usually this isn't true when comparing les pauls to strats, but this particular les paul is essentially just a strat cut into a different shape. Bolt on neck, everything on a single plane, minimal electronics, just some hardware differences between the two, specifically the bridge and pickups, but the build design is what it is because it's cheap, simple, and effective. The epiphone will probably weigh more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1611
    February 2011
    5,478 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #1612
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,141 Posts
    The LP is a little more basic, but it should be a little bit cheaper, and comes in packages that include a cheap little solid state amp, guitar bag, picks, strap, etc, and these packages are similarly priced to the Squier by itself. If you already have an amp and accessories and stuff then this won't matter for you. Also in a store you can negotiate a deal so you could work out some kind of package with either one.

The reduced complexity might not necessarily be a bad thing, either. It makes the guitar a lot easier to deal with and probably easier to approach. I'd personally rather set up the epiphone than the squier, I'm lazy. And I can't say I ever needed a tremelo when I was a beginner, really don't need one now, but that's up to you and how you play. Also the guitars will sound different, single coils vs humbuckers. And each unique individual will probably have a different level of quality so be sure you play it before you buy it.

Other than that though they're essentially the same thing, usually this isn't true when comparing les pauls to strats, but this particular les paul is essentially just a strat cut into a different shape. Bolt on neck, everything on a single plane, minimal electronics, just some hardware differences between the two, specifically the bridge and pickups, but the build design is what it is because it's cheap, simple, and effective. The epiphone will probably weigh more.

Surfing ebay, happened to also find this Les Paul.

Right now I currently don't have the cash for either of these, but it's likely I'll be able to swing for them in a month or so. Thanks for the suggestions and advice! And I'll definitely see about getting a LP in a package, that could be nice. A friend of mine also suggested just taking a trip to the local guitar store to see if they have them there, I might be able to haggle the price down a bit seeing as lefties are probably difficult to sell.

EDIT: Guy selling the Les Paul was also selling this, doesn't expire for about a month but I'm not too crazy about it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-G-3...item2a1cd409f4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #1613
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    The reduced complexity might not necessarily be a bad thing, either. It makes the guitar a lot easier to deal with and probably easier to approach.
    no no no i love the fact that the jazzmaster won't stay in tune unless you adjust the spring with the proper pressure so that the tremolo doesn't lock up.
    and of course the fact that sometimes you'll hit the top switch when you are strumming.

and that the volume knob is also a tone knob.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #1614
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    That's a really good deal on the fender, but you can probably get the epi cheaper in a store. But definitely definitely try going to the store first because you can negotiate and you can always try it before you buy it, even with the boxed package deals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #1615
    February 2011
    5,478 Posts
    Why do people design guitars so awkwardly in the way you described?

Also, onto my build, a PAF (vintage repro) and a vintage repro P90 ought to be cool. Clear and sharp like the Iceman and some other bluesy sounds from the bridge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #1616
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    I think it comes from over-thinking stuff. Like the jump from telecaster to stratocaster wasn't an overthought, it was just taking the concept and applying an actual guitarist's view to the design, really made it a great thing. But then it just got crazy, I think engineers stepped in again after the success of the strat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #1617
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    it adds to the charm. without the wacky bridge you wouldn't have all those interesting overtones popping up over the fretboard.

and without that wacky switch you wouldn't have an easy killswitch.
    and without that wacky volume knob design, you'd have a functional volume knob and who wants that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #1618
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    the absurd feedback and weirdo overtones the jazzmaster creates are really the best things about it but you can't breathe on the damn thing without it going at least 20 cents off

The worst part about a stratocaster is the volume knob placement, I keep hitting my hand against it

the worst part about a telecaster is is that I can't think of anything objectively bad about them

the worst part of literally every metal guitar ever (and also Rickenbackers) is that the necks are way too fucking thin I want a big fat baseball bat like on an old nocaster

the worst thing about a gibson anything is that it's objectively bad in every way

I think that covers everything

19. Post #1619
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,737 Posts
    I have been listening to this for the last 6 hours! I really want that strat.

And a lesson from Phil X...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #1620
    February 2011
    5,478 Posts
    Use spade bit to drill hole in headstock.

21. Post #1621
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    that's not a hole
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #1622
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,737 Posts
    Correct that is the Freiheit guitars logo.

23. Post #1623
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,041 Posts
    It makes more sense for the dominant hand to do the more dexterous task, aka fretting.
    Which is utterly meaningless as fretting is a nonstandard set of motions you have to train from the ground up, whereas picking is a basic wrist articulation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #1624
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,475 Posts

My current room setup. I just got the red one today (SX Ursa 1). I'll post about it later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

25. Post #1625
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,584 Posts
    the absurd feedback and weirdo overtones the jazzmaster creates are really the best things about it but you can't breathe on the damn thing without it going at least 20 cents off

The worst part about a stratocaster is the volume knob placement, I keep hitting my hand against it

the worst part about a telecaster is is that I can't think of anything objectively bad about them

the worst part of literally every metal guitar ever (and also Rickenbackers) is that the necks are way too fucking thin I want a big fat baseball bat like on an old nocaster

the worst thing about a gibson anything is that it's objectively bad in every way

I think that covers everything
    I don't like telecasters for the body and headstock, also would make more sense if it was a neck through design.

Also Gibson / Epiphone is good depending on price.

26. Post #1626
    September 2008
    225 Posts
    to Knowproblem , I'd say get the les paul, cauz these starter strat trems really gets easily out of tune even when blocked, the les paul will probably have a better tuning stability since its a tune-o-matic stoptail w/e + if you like anything heavy in music (well most of it) you'll probably get a better sound for that with humbuckers instead of single coils.

Edit: after checking your ebay link, seems like almost my first guitar except its an epiphone, would be perfect.

Tried DR neon strings (for the lulz) I'm quite surprised, they don't wear out that bad, and they last longer than the dunlop I put on it usually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #1627
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I don't like telecasters for the body and headstock, also would make more sense if it was a neck through design.

I said objectively

28. Post #1628
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,737 Posts

I love telecasters, I am not a fan of the style as well but for the sound I would compromise any day. But just like the Explorer, maybe it will grow on me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1629
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,506 Posts
    Are there any replicas for the Dumble Steel String Singer? I know of the Hamiltone Six String Slinger and whatever the hell Mayer put out as a signature amp. Those are all hard to find and the dumbles are expensive as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

30. Post #1630
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,737 Posts
    Are there any replicas for the Dumble Steel String Singer? I know of the Hamiltone Six String Slinger and whatever the hell Mayer put out as a signature amp. Those are all hard to find and the dumbles are expensive as fuck.
    I remember seeing a kit a while back but I have no clue as to what it was called, based on a lot of the reviews I saw it was an amazing sounding amp. I will do some digging.

31. Post #1631
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,036 Posts
    My guitar's almost finished. I'm pretty excited. Just got to cut what's left of the top wood, do the wiring, and install hardware and it's done.
    Having my own 7 string should be good fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #1632
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    i'm considering asking my brother just to swap guitars because I prefer his and he prefers mine + I want something I can change the strings to a heavier gauge on without it freaking out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #1633
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    i'm considering asking my brother just to swap guitars because I prefer his and he prefers mine + I want something I can change the strings to a heavier gauge on without it freaking out.
    Any guitar can handle heavier strings as long as you adjust the truss rod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1634
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    i was more going for the tedious business of farting about adjusting the goddamn tremolo bridge, I don't know why i went for one in the first place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #1635
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Still, at worst you'll need to adjust the truss rod, add a spring or two in the back, and adjust your intonation.

But I do agree that floating bridges are generally a hassle, but only really if you like to change tunings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1636
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,584 Posts
    i was more going for the tedious business of farting about adjusting the goddamn tremolo bridge, I don't know why i went for one in the first place
    I don't know why so many people have problems with them? I can adjust my trems fine, one floating and three 6 point. All mine relatively stay in tune with use too. Dunno whats wrong with everyone elses, out of adjustment maybe?

37. Post #1637
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I got a cheapo Chinese 6 point on two of my guitars and with a proper setup they stay in tune even through absurd dive bombs and shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1638
    February 2011
    5,478 Posts
    My Edge is perfect once you tune it and get the nut locked
    Bet if the nut wasn't locked, it would still stay in tune with the strings clamped down tightly on the bridge.

39. Post #1639
    April 2010
    1,727 Posts
    Anybody know of a good (guitar) amp for less than 100?

I'm looking for one that is an improvement over a really cheap practice amp, mainly for metal / rock stuff, any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #1640

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Vypyr. That's what I'd pick in sub 250 range.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)