1. Post #2001
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,000 Posts
    The things I see lacking in guitarists these days, mid range and solos. I mean I grew up with classic rock so that is probably just me. And by solos I don't mean wailing away playing scales at a million miles per hour. I mean like Shock Me solo badassery. Which might I add was what I was playing when I broke my string.

Edited:

Oh an soul, I like to see players that love playing guitar. And not just for "chicks"...
    Surprisingly, the lead guitarist in my band seems to get hit on a lot by the ladies, but it really doesn't seem to sway him at all. He plays for the sake of playing, not to get in with the (bisexual) ladies. Not bad looking ladies either...

This is from last Friday. There was this chick, and 2 of her friends that came to the gig, though to be fair, they were pretty much loved all of us

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

2. Post #2002
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    only man tits can sweat like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2003
    November 2011
    41 Posts
    If you guys are complaining about current guitarists without soul, then you're obviously not watching Jack White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frfFj...4D434D72348ABC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #2004
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    if you thought we were serious you obviously didn't read the last page
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2005
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    If you guys are complaining about current guitarists without soul, then you're obviously not watching Jack White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frfFj...4D434D72348ABC
    jack white wrote some good pop-rock songs
    besides that he's one of the most boring artists ever

oh yeah ripping off blues artists, shit that's so original except that got old in the 60's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2006
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    I can't wait till jack white dies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #2007
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    if you thought we were serious you obviously didn't read the last page
    I do like guitarists with passion for their art.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #2008
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,133 Posts
    I hate everything Jack White does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

9. Post #2009
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    i dunno, chris duarte is a fine current guitarist, but he was as popular as he'll ever be in the 1990s and early 2000s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

10. Post #2010
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    I hate everything Jack White does.
    Say what now?

11. Post #2011
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    The things I see lacking in guitarists these days, mid range and solos.
    wat r mids do u meen teh ting u put at 0 for brutul?
    To be fair, the mid knob on so many amplifiers (or rather its entire tone stack) corresponds with nothing correctly. Some sound better with the mids up, but turning the mids up doesn't do anything to the mids. Others sound good with the mids down, and, again, it does nothing to the mids.
    And in terms of absolutes, a guitar's midrange competes directly with a male vocalist's fullness in multiple genres, so sometimes you have to make something move (more reason to use female vocalists for metal, really.)

It doesn't help that "midrange" if often defined so broadly that it's basically "everything except the cymbals and bass frequencies". A "mid cut" can refer to practically anything these days.

Edited:

Say what now?
    What.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #2012
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,133 Posts
    Say what now?
    I don't like Jack White.

I was taking about this with my friend and he asked me to choose between listening to his music or saving his life. I said I would stand on the edge of a roof of a burning building, hand over the edge, Jack White hanging from it and tell him I was here to save his life because I didn't want to listen to his music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

13. Post #2013
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    And in terms of absolutes, a guitar's midrange competes directly with a male vocalist's fullness in multiple genres, so sometimes you have to make something move (more reason to use female vocalists for metal, really.)
    more reason to not have a vocalist you mean

Edited:

also what the fuck I can't find tabs for iron maiden - the duelists

I would've thought that with fans like theirs' every one of their songs would be tabbed perfectly

14. Post #2014
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    To be fair, the mid knob on so many amplifiers (or rather its entire tone stack) corresponds with nothing correctly. Some sound better with the mids up, but turning the mids up doesn't do anything to the mids. Others sound good with the mids down, and, again, it does nothing to the mids.

It doesn't help that "midrange" if often defined so broadly that it's basically "everything except the cymbals and bass frequencies". A "mid cut" can refer to practically anything these days.
    I understand that, but I am talking about the type of tone where there is no mid range present. All the notes get lost, it is like listening to the guitar through a pipe it. If it isn't that then it is too much treble or too much bass.

Think of all those stupid wannabe metal bands that think a good guitar tone is just bass and treble.

I know my amp sounds good with the mid knob at around 5-6 while my friends amp sounds good around 3.

I honestly love the idea of a "tone" or "shape" control. Just one control, no BS you just twist it till it sounds right.

15. Post #2015
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,133 Posts
    I understand that, but I am talking about the type of tone where there is no mid range present. All the notes get lost, it is like listening to the guitar through a pipe it. If it isn't that then it is too much treble or too much bass.

Think of all those stupid wannabe metal bands that think a good guitar tone is just bass and treble.

I know my amp sounds good with the mid knob at around 5-6 while my friends amp sounds good around 3.

I honestly love the idea of a "tone" or "shape" control. Just one control, no BS you just twist it till it sounds right.
    This is why I love my P-Bass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2016
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    all I want from an amp is a distorted tone I like and a clean tone I like

what's the point in endlessly tweaking knobs if I already like the sound it makes

17. Post #2017
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    all I want from an amp is a distorted tone I like and a clean tone I like

what's the point in endlessly tweaking knobs if I already like the sound it makes
    Only time I mess with knobs is when I change the location of my amp. It sounds different in every corner of this room.

18. Post #2018
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    when i put my distortion pedals up to 10 and pull the guitar near the amp i can use the EQ knobs to make the guitar change its feedbacking note.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

19. Post #2019
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts

I don't think you're understanding. That's a legitimate concern for that style of metal.

Think about this scientifically. Let's say you're in Br00tz Metüll Banned, and you're coming to me with that multitrack you recorded in mom's garage to have it polished up before it hits the radio.

Male vocalists have a fundamental range that spans the entirety of a guitar's. The frequency range necessary to add fullness to a male voice cuts straight through the normal low end of a guitar (120 Hz to 250+ Hz). The frequency range needed to make a male voice sound "natural" runs from 300 Hz to 500 Hz. The frequency range necessary to make a male voice intelligible is 500 Hz to 2 kHz ramping up, steady off to 5 kHz. Your guitar tops out at 5 kHz.

So of your entire frequency range, that leaves...nothing. Where in the fuck am I going to make room for your guitar? An alternate universe? You get to get noticed in gaps in the low frequencies the bassist leaves (where you'll primarily be, since your bassist is probably basically your drummer, and you'll be in drop Z because br00tal, freeing up a bit of room), and the highest frequencies have some room for you to share because your vocalist is going to be percussive up there, you're going to be melodic, and that range is perceived as less loud than it really is.

Thus, you sound like you're being listened to through a pipe. And that's as good as I can do for you given the source material. You must have a thin tone or your vocalist can't give himself throat polyps like he's auditioning for a DBZ redub.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #2020
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    yeah generally you either get mud or crap when you're mixing male vocals in metal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #2021
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    like I said

kill all singers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #2022
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    yeah generally you either get mud or crap when you're mixing male vocals in metal.
    It can be done- conflicting ranges happen all the time in multiple genres of music. The fact that violas exist doesn't spell chaos for cellists and violinists, despite being in a similar overlap with both. If you can write a male vocalist and a guitarist around each other you can make it work really well.

The problem is that a lot of modern metal vocals sound, to quote Malmsteen, "like somebody is either shoving something up the vocalist's ass, or something is coming out of his ass and mouth at the same time", which is something you can't really compose for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #2023
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    the solution is to employ a troll as a vocalist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #2024
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    I don't think you're understanding. That's a legitimate concern for that style of metal.

Think about this scientifically. Let's say you're in Br00tz Metüll Banned, and you're coming to me with that multitrack you recorded in mom's garage to have it polished up before it hits the radio.

Male vocalists have a fundamental range that spans the entirety of a guitar's. The frequency range necessary to add fullness to a male voice cuts straight through the normal low end of a guitar (120 Hz to 250+ Hz). The frequency range needed to make a male voice sound "natural" runs from 300 Hz to 500 Hz. The frequency range necessary to make a male voice intelligible is 500 Hz to 2 kHz ramping up, steady off to 5 kHz. Your guitar tops out at 5 kHz.

So of your entire frequency range, that leaves...nothing. Where in the fuck am I going to make room for your guitar? An alternate universe? You get to get noticed in gaps in the low frequencies the bassist leaves (where you'll primarily be, since your bassist is probably basically your drummer, and you'll be in drop Z because br00tal, freeing up a bit of room), and the highest frequencies have some room for you to share because your vocalist is going to be percussive up there, you're going to be melodic, and that range is perceived as less loud than it really is.

Thus, you sound like you're being listened to through a pipe. And that's as good as I can do for you given the source material. You must have a thin tone or your vocalist can't give himself throat polyps like he's auditioning for a DBZ redub.
    I understand the need in certain genres but I am talking about "that guy" on youtube who plays a B.C. Rich warbeast and he is playing... Let's say, Love Bites by Halestorm. Only problem is he thinks his best tone is just cranking the gain to 10 along with his bass and treble. But NO NO don't touch the mid EQ knob because that makes his tone sound too whiny. So he goes and does his cover and while he is playing all it sounds like is charlie brown's teacher. All those cool guitar fills get lost in the mix. And the guitar tone is so fuzzy even Jimi Hendrix is turning in his grave.

If there is a metal guitar tone I like, this is it...

25. Post #2025
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    Bleh. Trying to record a cover of Shock Me and I had about 30 attempts, my 4th one came out perfect but listening back to it there was a skip in the audio which threw off the sound. I got so mad at the 31st attempt that I had to blow off some steam, my fingers just gave out haha.

The whole thing was sloppy and my guitar was out of tune. DONT'T WORRY! The guitar is fine, it has suffered worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

26. Post #2026
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    sick pants homie

27. Post #2027
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    sick pants homie
    Hell yeah, chili pajamas.

28. Post #2028
    April 2012
    3,300 Posts
    I'm gonna have to call Guitar Protection Services, apologizing doesn't fix the mental and emotional pain >:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #2029
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    I'm gonna have to call Guitar Protection Services, apologizing doesn't fix the mental and emotional pain >:(
    :)

Better than the time before I had strap locks I dropped the guitar onto the ground, it made the most horrible noise and I thought the headstock broke but it was fine. It has been dropped, thrown(obviously) and it still loves me. Worst thing that happened was the neck flew off and it stripped out the mounting holes but some dowels and wood glue and it is just fine.

30. Post #2030
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    just set up my destroyer again for standard tuning

spent half an hour trying to figure out where all this fret buzz was coming from on the low e

finally realized it was hitting the neck pickup

31. Post #2031
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    just set up my destroyer again for standard tuning

spent half an hour trying to figure out where all this fret buzz was coming from on the low e

finally realized it was hitting the neck pickup
    back in my day if you weren't digging a hole in the neck pup you were doing something wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

32. Post #2032
    June 2005
    12,148 Posts
    ButtsexV3 boostard Gold Membership for ButtsexV3

was this acceptable back in your day too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #2033
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts

Wow looking at my history I have only been banned twice... YAY!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #2034
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    The fact that violas exist doesn't spell chaos for cellists and violinists, despite being in a similar overlap with both.
    well i imagine that's a bit of an easier job considering in most classical music the instruments tend to play notes with a group of musicians in harmonically stable increments.

35. Post #2035
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,011 Posts
    well i imagine that's a bit of an easier job considering in most classical music the instruments tend to play notes with a group of musicians in harmonically stable increments.
    Oh sure, I'm just saying the "this is my frequency range, you are not welcome in my frequency range" problem isn't inherent to having vocalists, just shitty vocalists and the inability to write music.
    But a lot of that junk is popular, and it requires awful guitars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #2036
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Bleh. Trying to record a cover of Shock Me and I had about 30 attempts, my 4th one came out perfect but listening back to it there was a skip in the audio which threw off the sound. I got so mad at the 31st attempt that I had to blow off some steam, my fingers just gave out haha.

The whole thing was sloppy and my guitar was out of tune. DONT'T WORRY! The guitar is fine, it has suffered worse.
    Ahaha I'd never dare to throw my guitar away like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2037
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,683 Posts
    Oh sure, I'm just saying the "this is my frequency range, you are not welcome in my frequency range" problem isn't inherent to having vocalists, just shitty vocalists and the inability to write music.
    But a lot of that junk is popular, and it requires awful guitars.
    Agreed.

Edited:

Ahaha I'd never dare to throw my guitar away like that
    I wouldn't do that to me new explorer.

But in the end if I break it I fix it.

38. Post #2038
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

Well considering that the first time I bought gm was when buying it for $10 was the only way to get it, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #2039
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts

I gotta have that as an avatar .apng

Edited:

The part where you throw it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

40. Post #2040
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,090 Posts
    [QUOTE=cpt.armadillo;35996110]I gotta have that as an avatar .apng
    -useless-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)