1. Post #2441
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    I'm thinking of buying some Rotosound Drop Zone bass strings in the near future since I'm sick of floppy strings, has anyone else used them so I can get an opinion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2442
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    That's not my song, just so you know. Even if it was I wouldn't be able to tell you what key was it in, because I'm retarded when it comes to music theory.

But as for writing similar stuff I can tell you that it's not an easy road to take. I've written few semi-djenty songs and those have been a pretty major project every time. Usually I just noodle around with my guitar and try different chords, dissonance, tapping, chugging etc... until something decent is spitten out.

Usually I start with a simple chug pattern and then throw some higher notes in and see where that gets me.

I feel like an idiot when people ask me about scales and chords and such. Being self taught is a double edged sword, on one hand it feels great knowing I was able to learn an instrument just from playing around with it. But it is also a pain in the ass. My father taught me a few basic chords and taught me about power chords. That was all I needed from there I just started watching some of my favorite guitarists and learning their songs.

I can read tabs and all that but if you ask me about the dorian scale or what chord I just played I am not gonna be able to answer you.

On a side note it also forced me into learning songs by ear so that is nice as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2443
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    I feel like an idiot when people ask me about scales and chords and such. Being self taught is a double edged sword, on one hand it feels great knowing I was able to learn an instrument just from playing around with it. But it is also a pain in the ass. My father taught me a few basic chords and taught me about power chords. That was all I needed from there I just started watching some of my favorite guitarists and learning their songs.

I can read tabs and all that but if you ask me about the dorian scale or what chord I just played I am not gonna be able to answer you.

On a side note it also forced me into learning songs by ear so that is nice as well.
    I went the same road, although my father was just as musically incompetent that I was, so he wasn't much of a help. But he did tell me to stop going straight up learning something like YYZ by Rush and start from simple stuff like The Shadows or some other kind of elevator music. He was right about that.

Tabs were my only learning material (Guitar Pro is a godsend) and they get you pretty damn far! After you've played for a couple of years you kinda know your instrument and know where specific notes come from and that way you get to practice your ear and in the end you can learn just about every song. If you have the patience.

One thing I've noticed when I try to learn songs by ear is that if you don't know chords it's really god damn awful trying to learn music that isn't just power chords. Single notes and power chords are easy to learn by ear, but barre chords, minor and major chords are a pain in the rectum.

I don't recognize chords by their name, I recognize them by how the fretting hand is placed on the neck.

Also: Writing solos is pretty fucking horrible if you don't know dorianpentaharmonictonic scales or A Majorminorpentatonic shapes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

4. Post #2444
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    I went the same road, although my father was just as musically incompetent that I was, so he wasn't much of a help. But he did tell me to stop going straight up learning something like YYZ by Rush and start from simple stuff like The Shadows or some other kind of elevator music. He was right about that.

Tabs were my only learning material (Guitar Pro is a godsend) and they get you pretty damn far! After you've played for a couple of years you kinda know your instrument and know where specific notes come from and that way you get to practice your ear and in the end you can learn just about every song. If you have the patience.

One thing I've noticed when I try to learn songs by ear is that if you don't know chords it's really god damn awful trying to learn music that isn't just power chords. Single notes and power chords are easy to learn by ear, but barre chords, minor and major chords are a pain in the rectum.

I don't recognize chords by their name, I recognize them by how the fretting hand is placed on the neck.

Also: Writing solos is pretty fucking horrible if you don't know dorianpentaharmonictonic scales or A Majorminorpentatonic shapes.
    Yeah I noticed that and to get around it If I know a song is played with those fancy chords I always just learn the song in power chords and then I just go up and down the neck using different chord shapes to get the right chords. I can't tell you what they are but I can sure play them haha.

I mean I know most of the basic chords by name but I just don't feel the need to learn all the names.

What?

5. Post #2445
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,114 Posts
    That's not my song, just so you know. Even if it was I wouldn't be able to tell you what key was it in, because I'm retarded when it comes to music theory.

But as for writing similar stuff I can tell you that it's not an easy road to take. I've written few semi-djenty songs and those have been a pretty major project every time. Usually I just noodle around with my guitar and try different chords, dissonance, tapping, chugging etc... until something decent is spitten out.

Usually I start with a simple chug pattern and then throw some higher notes in and see where that gets me.
    Ah thanks, no worries.

I'll check for some tabs / look at the song and I can probably work it with Guitar Pro's scale/key finder :P

I always just chug and get a nice riff, i've never had problems creating a chugging riff but when it comes to the breaks and the sort of mini solos I have literally no idea.

6. Post #2446
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    As in, it's hard to do a solo that progresses fluently when you don't know the theory behind it and how you construct it the "correct" way. I know there isn't any "correct" way of doing stuff with music, but it helps quite a bit if you know the basics.

That's just me though, you might not have the same problem.

Edited:

Ah thanks, no worries.

I'll check for some tabs / look at the song and I can probably work it with Guitar Pro's scale/key finder :P

I always just chug and get a nice riff, i've never had problems creating a chugging riff but when it comes to the breaks and the sort of mini solos I have literally no idea.
    Here's the original video for the song I covered:

The tuning is: A E A D G B E
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

7. Post #2447
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,114 Posts
    As in, it's hard to do a solo that progresses fluently when you don't know the theory behind it and how you construct it the "correct" way. I know there isn't any "correct" way of doing stuff with music, but it helps quite a bit if you know the basics.

Edited:

Here's the original video for the song I covered:

The tuning is: A E A D G B E
    God dammit. No fret markers, ha. Cheers dude.

8. Post #2448
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts

Oh no I get ya.

I know some scales, but just like chords I do not know what I am playing. I just play what sounds good, for all I know I am breaking every rule when It comes to playing a solo.

9. Post #2449
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    Wow I'm like the complete opposite of you guys. I've only ever learned a couple songs by tabs, the rest I've learned through comprehensive memorization of the entire fretboard and all the barred chords I can do in any position. I also use the CAGED system, which is basically learning where your barred chords will be most effective. This has allowed me to see any progression of chords and know how to play them in several different voicings and in different octaves. I can basically play to any song for which I have the chords written down, but I can also find the barred chords by ear if it's not written down. So I can play directly to pretty much anything and it'll sound great.

Knowing all these chords teaches you chordal notes. Knowing note scales help you with traveling notes, but the real meat of your lead or bass playing should be in the chordal notes, that way, you're not just playing the root of the chord, you're not just playing robotic, predictable scales over it, you're actually playing your instrument, you're taking what you know about chordal melody and applying that over a rhythm section, completely improvised, soloing or moving about the chords as the other instruments do but in a completely fluid way.

The best, or at least the most-recorded bassist in the history of the world can explain it a little better than I can:

10. Post #2450
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I couldn't play a single song note for note. I just improv in whatever key the band its in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2451
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,508 Posts
    Stairway to heaven? Sort of have to play that note for note.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

12. Post #2452
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    Well see, what he's saying is correct, you don't have to know things note-for-note. Being able to read a tab and imitate your favorite guitarist doesn't make you a guitarist, it makes you a playback machine.

What really teaches you to be a guitarist is to do what I said, learn all your chords, in every position, memorize the fretboard, that way you can do what Buttsex said and be able to just pick up and actually play your instrument to any song and automatically sound like you know what you're doing, when in reality it's all improv.

Knowing your chords allows you to know all of your chordal notes, which allows you to really get down to business on songs you don't know. For instance, if you were improvising chordally over Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, you'd more often than not, probably end up hitting every note exactly as it is on the album, simply because all of the melodies of the album are 100% chordal. So without ever seeing a tab or even a bit of sheet music, just with the knowledge of being able to hear a series of chords and identify them, you can automatically bust out anything you want and it'll sound dope.

And it also teaches you to play in a key, which is something you just will not learn from a tab or a scale of any kind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #2453
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

I'm a bass player.

Edited:

If I'm playing guitar I'm doing rhythm.

Edited:

this guy always plays so well

maybe I should start crossdressing when I'm playing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2454
    October 2011
    2,327 Posts
    This might be a dumb request but could anyone find a cover of Purple Haze without any drums or anything playing in the background, just guitar?

E: Or does anyone know a song that would sound good just soloing guitar so no drums or anything? My friend needs to think of one for her performance. I'm thinking something by Jimi Hendrix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #2455
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    Most Hendrix stuff works well for that, both Purple Haze and Foxy Lady are based on the F7#9 chord.

Hey Joe would also work well, it's just CGDAE over and over, but to make it interesting, he plays it with different inversions and voicings that basically go back to what I was saying about knowing all your chords in all the different positions. To be able to do that on the fly, you have to practice it that way. All his lead stuff is based on that kind of idea where you take a chord and go places with it because you know all the different ways to play that chord. Being able to play it like that, you could pick anything from Are You Experienced and I'm sure it'd go over well.

A solo guitar performance will be kind of boring unless you go deep with it like that, that's what made Hendrix successful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2456
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,499 Posts
    I'm going to work abroad for the summer and want to Bring my acoustic guitar with me. Any of you guys have any tips on the least painful way to get it through the airport and the plane journey?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Ireland Show Events

17. Post #2457
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    I'm going to work abroad for the summer and want to Bring my acoustic guitar with me. Any of you guys have any tips on the least painful way to get it through the airport and the plane journey?
    Make sure you have a hard case. You do not want to give your guitar to them in a gig bag or you will get a broken guitar back.

Besides that there is nothing else you can do, make sure your name and address is on their somewhere where it cannot fall off or be removed easily. And try and keep a humidifier in your guitar for the trip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #2458
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    I just play what sounds good, for all I know I am breaking every rule when It comes to playing a solo.
    Fun fact: what sounds good is where the "rules" came from, so if you can sound good and simultaneously not be boring, you're cool.
    Modern music temperaments are so detached from the original physics music theory came from that modern theory is primarily based on subjective bullshit.
    Knowing all these chords teaches you chordal notes. Knowing note scales help you with traveling notes, but the real meat of your lead or bass playing should be in the chordal notes, that way, you're not just playing the root of the chord, you're not just playing robotic, predictable scales over it, you're actually playing your instrument, you're taking what you know about chordal melody and applying that over a rhythm section, completely improvised, soloing or moving about the chords as the other instruments do but in a completely fluid way.
    I agree with you on the whole, but don't use the term "robotic". What you're talking about doesn't stop boring playing.
    And it's offensive to the robots. Robots are often much more creative than people, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #2459
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    Robots are alright, as long as you aren't an alien.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #2460
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    Robots are cool, but these amps come from a time when things were built by hand.

I dug them out of one of my neighbor's storage buildings. My camera sucks, but here's some pics. They're both Silvertone, straight out of the 60's. I think the cabinet is a 1x15 but I can't see in there too well on account of all the cobwebs. The head his a Silvertone 1483 Bass amp with two channels. I'm pretty sure they're the normal matching cabinet and head because the entire head actually fits into this cool small compartment in the back at the bottom of the speaker cabinet (they have a pic of it in this config on that site). The small combo is a Silvertone 1481, rated at five watts and loaded with an 8 inch speaker. Everything works great and sounds amazing. I'm going to clean them up in a little bit.

Surprisingly, no spiders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #2461
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    oh my god oh my god i want it so bad!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #2462
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    oh my god oh my god i want it so bad!!
    I dug them out just for you actually.

The little combo is my favorite because the bass amp is just way way too loud. I mean the bass amp sounds great, but to get any breakup I have to turn it up to where everything in the house starts shaking. Headroom all day, tons and tons of it, and fantastic cleans, it's just not meant for a bedroom.

The combo on the other hand will overdrive at reasonable volumes, but will still shake the house when you crank it so yeah, I'm pretty happy. It's pretty similar to a Fender Champ. I can easily nail any kind of 60's tone with it, all the way up to early Black Sabbath.

23. Post #2463
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    how reliable does it look? does it look solid, or is everything taped on?

24. Post #2464
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    I dug them out just for you actually.

The little combo is my favorite because the bass amp is just way way too loud. I mean the bass amp sounds great, but to get any breakup I have to turn it up to where everything in the house starts shaking. Headroom all day, tons and tons of it, and fantastic cleans, it's just not meant for a bedroom.

The combo on the other hand will overdrive at reasonable volumes, but will still shake the house when you crank it so yeah, I'm pretty happy. It's pretty similar to a Fender Champ. I can easily nail any kind of 60's tone with it, all the way up to early Black Sabbath.
    Reminds me of the time my friend bought a 100W tube amp for his bedroom thinking it would be awesome. He sold it a couple weeks later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #2465
    February 2011
    5,508 Posts
    I want an ES-345 now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #2466
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    how reliable does it look? does it look solid, or is everything taped on?
    Everything's in order. They're dirty and filled with cobwebs, but they appear well-taken care of. The head is missing one of its feet, though, but it sits flush in its little compartment so that's not an issue. Other than that though everything's in great shape. It's not surprising they're still around, they were built to last. I'll test the tubes later, but they appear to be putting out just as they should. Even the grille cloth is in great shape on both, but the corners of the large cabinet are a little beat-up. Clearly it can take a beating.

Reminds me of the time my friend bought a 100W tube amp for his bedroom thinking it would be awesome. He sold it a couple weeks later.
    Some people just don't realize what this kind of stuff is for. It makes for neat looking furniture, but it's really meant to blow up an auditorium or an outdoor stage.

Also I looked on Ebay and there's a couple of the same exact things I have for sale. With the condition my stuff's in, I'd say it's about $750-$800 worth of pure unadulterated vintage tone. At ~$300-$400, you really can't beat the 1481, I'd recommend it all day to anyone looking to practice with or record 60's Class A tones, you can listen to all the youtube samples you want and it'll tell you the same thing. Could probably gig with it mic'd, but the 1483 is what you'd want on a stage.

27. Post #2467
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    Some people just don't realize what this kind of stuff is for. It makes for neat looking furniture, but it's really meant to blow up an auditorium or an outdoor stage.
    Yeah one of my dad's buddies brought over his JCM800 2203 and cranked it up in our basement and it hurt my ears, felt like someone was digging a knife in my ear. I gotta say though I would love to have a wall of Marshalls in my room. I just wouldn't be using them unless I needed to.

28. Post #2468
    February 2011
    5,508 Posts
    The Sunn, even with all the mods my dad did to it I play it on the distortion channel with volume and drive all the way up with the master volume at 1.5 and I still feel the bass through the floor.
    60 watt solid state amp with resistance increased...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #2469
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    Yeah that's just way too much for indoors. The only reason this 5 watt 1481 works well for a house is because it's paired with a really inefficient 8 inch speaker, otherwise even 5 watts is too much to use in a house.

30. Post #2470
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    strange, I use 500 watts just fine

Edited:

I used 800 for a while but ended up selling that head

31. Post #2471
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    strange, I use 500 watts just fine

Edited:

I used 800 for a while but ended up selling that head
    Get out of here bassist.

Just kidding!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #2472
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    With guitar players, the rule is generally if your neighbors can't hear it, it's far too quiet. with bass players, if your neighborhood can hear it, it still could probably stand to be turned up a few clicks.

Edited:

if shit isn't falling off the shelves, I turn it up.

33. Post #2473
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    if shit isn't falling off the shelves, I turn it up.
    You'd probably like the 1483, then.

But yeah for a guitarist playing through a non master volume class A amp, 5 watts is more than enough to get the neighbors complaining.

34. Post #2474
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    You'd probably like the 1483, then.

But yeah for a guitarist playing through a non master volume class A amp, 5 watts is more than enough to get the neighbors complaining.
    I agree, I think some people think in the world of tube amps more watts means more volume and at a certain point it does. But I guess in the world of solid state people think everything needs to be 1,000,000 watts.

35. Post #2475
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,425 Posts
    I wonder what the loudest acoustic guitar is

36. Post #2476
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    I wonder what the loudest acoustic guitar is
    Well the resonator guitars are considered in the same class as amplified guitars I think, because the resonator cone is essentially a speaker. But those are really loud, they weren't hugely successful because they debuted alongside amplifiers which were even louder thus making acoustic resonator guitars obsolete. They stuck around anyway though because of their unique sound.

So about these amps. They both have their original two prong power cords. I know that this is a safety issue because the amps are not grounded, but my house is so old that we don't even have grounded wiring anyway so I figure fuck it, what's the difference. Even if I change out the power cords to grounded ones, they still won't be connected to the ground anyway, so that's not really a concern at the moment.

But what is concerning is I was playing through the 1481 combo and I had the 1483 plugged in at the same time, and while I was holding my guitar, I laid my free hand on top of the 1483 head and touched the metal part of the handle, and I felt a significant shock. It was really similar to those practical joke pens that shock you except it went on for longer and made my hand feel weird for a minute, and it hurt a little more. I immediately unplugged the 1483 and then touched the handle again and felt nothing.

So of course I had to go read about it, and from what I've found out on the internet, I believe it's safe to use the amps so long as I refrain from coming into contact with anything else that is plugged in or made of metal. I say this because I'm pretty sure what happened is the 1481 sent electricity through me because I came in contact with the 1483's ungrounded chassis via its metal handle.

Am I right about this? Will I be safe if I cautiously avoid things that are plugged in or grounded, or am I running a serious risk of death by electrocution?

If I mysteriously and permanently stop posting sometime soon, you all know what happened.

37. Post #2477
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,752 Posts
    Well the resonator guitars are considered in the same class as amplified guitars I think, because the resonator cone is essentially a speaker. But those are really loud, they weren't hugely successful because they debuted alongside amplifiers which were even louder thus making acoustic resonator guitars obsolete. They stuck around anyway though because of their unique sound.

So about these amps. They both have their original two prong power cords. I know that this is a safety issue because the amps are not grounded, but my house is so old that we don't even have grounded wiring anyway so I figure fuck it, what's the difference. Even if I change out the power cords to grounded ones, they still won't be connected to the ground anyway, so that's not really a concern at the moment.

But what is concerning is I was playing through the 1481 combo and I had the 1483 plugged in at the same time, and while I was holding my guitar, I laid my free hand on top of the 1483 head and touched the metal part of the handle, and I felt a significant shock. It was really similar to those practical joke pens that shock you except it went on for longer and made my hand feel weird for a minute, and it hurt a little more. I immediately unplugged the 1483 and then touched the handle again and felt nothing.

So of course I had to go read about it, and from what I've found out on the internet, I believe it's safe to use the amps so long as I refrain from coming into contact with anything else that is plugged in or made of metal. I say this because I'm pretty sure what happened is the 1481 sent electricity through me because I came in contact with the 1483's ungrounded chassis via its metal handle.

Am I right about this? Will I be safe if I cautiously avoid things that are plugged in or grounded, or am I running a serious risk of death by electrocution?

If I mysteriously and permanently stop posting sometime soon, you all know what happened.
    Yeah I got a shock from my amp while playing which was weird because it has a ground prong but I am not sure how well the wiring is in this place so who knows. It makes me want to go wireless.

The shock I got hurt like a son of a bitch, made my hand numb for a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2478
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    Am I right about this?
    About why you got shocked? I couldn't say without having been there, seeing what you came into contact with and how, and knowing the internals of the amp.

I'm obliged to say that I recommend you hire someone to hook you up with three prong sockets (it's cheap anyway) and then take the amplifier to a technician to have it looked over. You can make ungrounded electronics support grounded plugs easily.

If you absolutely must use it consider hosing down any exposed metal with a spray-on insulator.

39. Post #2479
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    It makes me want to go wirelesss
    Brilliant idea, I hadn't even considered it. Honestly, never crossed my mind. But with a wireless setup this whole thing is a non-issue, even with amps that are obviously hazardous.

About why you got shocked? I couldn't say without having been there, seeing what you came into contact with and how, and knowing the internals of the amp.

I'm obliged to say that I recommend you hire someone to hook you up with three prong sockets (it's cheap anyway) and then take the amplifier to a technician to have it looked over. You can make ungrounded electronics support grounded plugs easily.

If you absolutely must use it consider hosing down any exposed metal with a spray-on insulator.
    Well not only why I got shocked, but I was asking more or less if my understanding of the whole electrical situation is correct. And if I'm right about being able to use the amp with some degree of safety if I take certain precautions.

Oh yeah and don't worry, I'm getting my house looked over and I'm getting the amps done up with a cap job and safety upgrades anyway, so it's not a question of if, it's a question of when it happens. I'm just asking this for rocking in the meantime.

40. Post #2480
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,520 Posts
    I have a mac laptop and whenever I record stuff it's right next to me. I have to strategically place one hand on the keyboard/trackpad to do things and the other holding the guitar so the strings don't touch me at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)