1. Post #3521
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    Usually Ibanez guitars (the more popular models at least) use humbuckers, whereas your best bet for the guitar sound in post-rock is to use a guitar with single coil pickups (like typical Fenders). A lot of them also have floating bridged which are super awful on cheap models. That said, I play in a fairly post-rock sounding band with a dual-humbucker Ibanez (though I modified the electronics so I can coil split). It's just personal preference, but if you're specifically after the tones in those videos single coils are the way to go.

Brand new cheap Ibanezs are also pretty awful, but you can get amazing deals used. My Japanese made RG was $350, and it is a super nice playing guitar. I've never been able to get an action so low without choking/buzzing (managed to get it to 1mm at 1st string and 2mm at the 7th).
    Any relief in the neck?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #3522
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    A very miniscule amount. Fretting at 1st and 24th, I could not fit a piece of paper between the string and the 12th fret. Probably worth mentioning that it's tuned to drop C with a high F, using a set of 11s with an 8 for the high F. I don't bend a lot in my playing, but it only chokes on the 19th fret with full step bends so I assume it's just a problem fret. It is a 13 year old guitar and by the looks of things it has been played a lot haha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

3. Post #3523
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    Sounds like a good setup, I try to keep as little relief in necks as possible. Both the necks on my guitars are straight with the action at the 12th fret at about 1.5mm on the bass side and 1.3mm on the treble side. No buzzing or choking unless I strum really REALLY hard.

4. Post #3524
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I don't understand how you people can play with the action that low. I like my action at like 5mm at the 12th fret

Edited:

I've been able to get my action that low I just don't like it

5. Post #3525
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3526
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,527 Posts
    I don't know where my action is, height-wise, but I like it there. As long as it isn't butt fuckingly high.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #3527
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    22,004 Posts
    Fine. Any particular reason for that ?

There are 2 standard variant. 1. Fender 2. Squier

What are my options in Ibanez ?
    The Bullet and Affinity models are cheap guitars that just aren't very good. You'll want to sink at least £200 (or your currency equivalent) into a semi decent guitar.

A Squier Standard Strat will set you back around £220, a Squier Vintage Modified Strat will set you back something around £230.

The Vintage Modified series is one of the best that Squier makes, and people have compared the build quality to the likes of Fender Made in Mexico guitars (I played a Vintage Modified Precision bass and it was really good).

The basic rule of thumb is even if you're starting out, get something that's good, even if it costs you more. At least that way, if you don't take up playing properly, you can actually sell it on and get some money back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #3528
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    The classic vibe, vintage modified, and the few signature models they make, are the highest-tier guitars that Squier makes.

If I recall correctly, you can easily spot the higher-tier Squiers by looking for the logo to be colored-in, either with gold or silver. I'm pretty sure that all of the normal squiers have black lettering on the headstock.

And yeah, you'll absolutely want to spend at least that much on your first guitar. You have to get something that you won't have to upgrade from for quite a while. It also helps a lot to have a guitar that you really want to play when you see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #3529
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    I gotta get myself one of the classic vibe 50's strats, I'm thinking olympic white and I might give it a light relic and change out the pickups.

Edited:

I love the 4th position sound at 4:25, for a guitar in that range these things are amazing.

I can almost get that sound out of my Ibanez though haha.

10. Post #3530
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    What's great about buying a little on the higher end to start with is that changing the pickups becomes only an aesthetic choice, or just a slight upgrade, rather than how it's a real necessity with the cheaper guitars.

It would be great if they offered one of the strats in a hardtail version.

11. Post #3531
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    What's great about buying a little on the higher end to start with is that changing the pickups becomes only an aesthetic choice, or just a slight upgrade, rather than how it's a real necessity with the cheaper guitars.

It would be great if they offered one of the strats in a hardtail version.
    Kind of true when it comes to the pickups, some cheaper guitar come with great pickups like the INF4 and INF3 that came with my Ibanez were alright. But the ones in my epiphone just sound lifeless.

Although compared to the bullet and affinity series those pickups in that classic vibe sound superb.

I also agree I would love to see a hardtail version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3532
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    Kind of true when it comes to the pickups, some cheaper guitar come with great pickups like the INF4 and INF3 that came with my Ibanez were alright. But the ones in my epiphone just sound lifeless.

Although compared to the bullet and affinity series those pickups in that classic vibe sound superb.

I also agree I would love to see a hardtail version.
    Well the thing about the higher end Ibanez that makes them of higher quality is the same thing that makes the higher-end squiers good, they're a lot more specific about the factory used, the source materials, the design, everything. In fact I'm pretty sure that all of the classic vibe squiers come from one factory, might be wrong though, forgot where I heard that.

13. Post #3533
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    I have heard the same so you might be right.

14. Post #3534
    UberMod
    May 2006
    1,629 Posts
    Maybe you heard it from eachother?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

15. Post #3535
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    The Bullet and Affinity models are cheap guitars that just aren't very good. You'll want to sink at least £200 (or your currency equivalent) into a semi decent guitar.

A Squier Standard Strat will set you back around £220, a Squier Vintage Modified Strat will set you back something around £230.

The Vintage Modified series is one of the best that Squier makes, and people have compared the build quality to the likes of Fender Made in Mexico guitars (I played a Vintage Modified Precision bass and it was really good).

The basic rule of thumb is even if you're starting out, get something that's good, even if it costs you more. At least that way, if you don't take up playing properly, you can actually sell it on and get some money back.
    I'd pretty much like to get a good one, budgets have been relaxed. Here are my options after considering advices here and with friends

IBANEZ:

RG350MZ

Price: 537 USD

RG350EXZ

Price: 646 USD

RG350DXZ

Price: 646 USD

RG370DXZ

Price: 606 USD

FENDER:

Classic Vibe Stratocaster® '50s

Price: 478 USD

Vintage Modified Stratocaster® HSS

Price: 478 USD

Deluxe Stratocaster®

Price: 416 USD

Black and Chrome Standard Stratocaster®

Price: 362 USD

Which one of these will be versatile enough and can be modified later easy. Easy tuning is required too. I personally like the Ibanez Tremolo series but others opinion will be valuable.

I am more leaning towards these two:
    RG350DXZ
    Vintage Modified Stratocaster® HSS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

16. Post #3536
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    The classic vibe is a good choice, you have a very good starting point for you to build on.

You have three single coils which is very versatile and if you ever decide you want more of a thick humbucker sound you can buy single coil sized humbuckers which aren't exact but they still sound amazing.

I would stay away from black and chrome squire.

The vintage modified series are pretty good as well.

As far as Ibanez any of the ones you have picked out would work well for you the although Edge III tremolo is kind of an iffy system, it will work good for you at first but the knife edges are known to get dull and eventually you will end up blocking it. The good thing is a lot of people swap them out with the edge pro which you can find on ebay and that is a drop in replacement.

As well you have coil splitting in all of those Ibanez's so you can still get somewhat of a strat sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #3537
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    Well those prices are just the list price, you'll actually pay a -lot- less at a retailer. If your budget is actually ~$600, you can get an even better guitar than all of those.

But if you want to make music like what you posted, you probably don't really want a humbucker in the bridge unless it has coil splitting, which is an option where you can switch the humbucker to a single coil rather than using both coils.

The reason for this was already said, but just to reinforce it, single coil guitar pickups have different properties to humbuckers, they sound a lot more like what you posted.

If you want something that's really easy to set up, really easy to tune, and stays in tune well, you might want to look for something that doesn't have a tremolo system, it might be more forgiving on a beginner. This is the 'hard tail' design I mentioned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #3538
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I would recommend against any of those Ibanez guitars because they all have double locking floating bridges and they will annoy you to no end.

You should ideally try them out at a store though, because you might feel like one of these or another guitar just feels right to you, but you really can't go wrong with a strat for a nice playing guitar. I reckon the Classic Vibe or the Vintage Modified will be the titties nipple though

I would probably go with the HSS Squier. My first guitar was a black and chrome Squier like the one you posted, but with the HSS config. And it's a pretty damn decent guitar. I've modded it to hell and I still play it today. The HSS config is very versatile, and personally I've never been a huge fan of single coils in the bridge position (just because I like to play heavier rhythm stuff, but if you have no interest in that, a 3 single coil strat would be great).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #3539
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    Well...Vintage Modified Stratocaster HSS seems to be a good compromise then. I can swap the pick ups later if needed.

I do like to play distortion like in this song but majority of the stuff will be clean followed by distortions in the mid parts:

@Nazereth666 and @TheGuru
    Those Ibanez have Edge Zero II bridge which is better than Edge III. Will that change things in their favor ?

@J_Paul
    Those prices are close to retail prices. I can probably get $10-20 discount but not more than that here in my country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

20. Post #3540
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    I've got an RG520 and an RG570 sitting right next to me. I don't know exactly which model of Edge they have, but these are perfectly fine. Only problem with tremolo units is tuning. On my RG, it takes near an hour to change strings and tune it. Once it is in tune however, it is easy to get it back.

Another thing with tremolo units is keeping them level. It takes a fair bit of time to balance it out, but it is worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #3541
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    @J_Paul
    Those prices are close to retail prices. I can probably get $10-20 discount but not more than that here in my country.
    That's awful man, do you mind me asking where do you live? Because you can get all of those guitars for half that price or less from online retailers and in store. Musician's Friend says they ship internationally, maybe they'll ship to wherever you are.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/h78850
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #3542
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,508 Posts
    tripped massive balls. this thread was like glitter on the ice cream. i played so many weird ass songs last night, it was great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #3543
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    @Nazereth666 and @TheGuru
    Those Ibanez have Edge Zero II bridge which is better than Edge III. Will that change things in their favor ?
    Not really. It's not so much the quality of the bridge that makes me recommend against getting one. I had arguably one of the nicest double locking bridges in my old Ibanez, but I still grew tired of it.

The main point of the double locking bridge is for you to just go freakin crazy doing dive bombs like an 80s hair metal guitarist without going out of tune. I honestly do not know of any post-rocker that does that. If there is any use of the floating bridge, it's just for a more subtle vibrato effect which the strat style trem will handle no problems.

The main problem with them is that it takes a lot of effort to change tunings, even something as simple as going from standard tuning to drop D, something I tend to do a LOT. It would require you to unlock the nut, retune the guitar, possibly spend a while tinkering in the back to get the trem level correct, retuning again, locking the nut, fine tuning...... As a beginner you want to be able to experiment as easily and freely as possible. The other problem with them is that they require some time and practice to actually set up and restring.

With the strat style bridge you can easily set it up for dive-only (so the bridge rests on the body), which basically lets it act like a hard tail, change tunings just like that, but you can still get some nice vibrato if you want. Personally I just completely block them for optimal tuning stability.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3544

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Not really. It's not so much the quality of the bridge that makes me recommend against getting one. I had arguably one of the nicest double locking bridges in my old Ibanez, but I still grew tired of it.

The main point of the double locking bridge is for you to just go freakin crazy doing dive bombs like an 80s hair metal guitarist without going out of tune. I honestly do not know of any post-rocker that does that. If there is any use of the floating bridge, it's just for a more subtle vibrato effect which the strat style trem will handle no problems.

The main problem with them is that it takes a lot of effort to change tunings, even something as simple as going from standard tuning to drop D, something I tend to do a LOT. It would require you to unlock the nut, retune the guitar, possibly spend a while tinkering in the back to get the trem level correct, retuning again, locking the nut, fine tuning...... As a beginner you want to be able to experiment as easily and freely as possible. The other problem with them is that they require some time and practice to actually set up and restring.

With the strat style bridge you can easily set it up for dive-only (so the bridge rests on the body), which basically lets it act like a hard tail, change tunings just like that, but you can still get some nice vibrato if you want. Personally I just completely block them for optimal tuning stability.
    That might be different from guitar to guitar and player to player, but I can tune from standard to drop D without opening the locks with ease. Though, its Floyd rose 'special' (sort of higher-end Asian licensed fr, from what I've gathered). I can tune it anywhere from Drop-D or E-flat to F standard without opening locks. The strings are quite old though, so I doubt they are going to stretch too much anymore.

That being said, decent, especially blocked, floating tremolo stays in tune extremely well. If you don't change tuning too often, you can tune accurately in seconds and have the guitar stay in that tuning for weeks. That might differ with some of you who tune to standard with 15's, of course. Good floating tremolo is not generally worse choice than good normal tremolo, even for new player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #3545
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,333 Posts
    my RG is a 370 and it's my favorite guitar

get that one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #3546
    October 2009
    146 Posts
    So I was trying to tune my low E string to a D not and it broke, so I need a set of new strings.
    What are good strings, or what kind of whatever should I get for an acoustic?
    For acoustic strings I highly recommend the blue pack of Martin Marquis. I believe you can pick them up for under 10 bucks at your local music shop.

27. Post #3547
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    Funny thins is my Ibanez is the RG 120 which at the time I bout it cost $270, and it was just a cheap Indonesian RG made specially for Guitar Center. It's seven years old now and after all the work I have done to it it plays amazing. Still don't like the agathis wood but honestly it is a superb guitar. Need to replace the frets though.

Needs new tuners as well, the tuners on it are getting kind of loose. Probably one of the toughest guitars I have had. I threw it around my room (lol remember?) and it has also fallen off the strap quite a few times before I got straplocks and the worst that happened was the neck came off and stripped out the holes but that is an easy fix. We will see over time how well my explorer holds up, over time I am sure it will get knocked around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #3548
    June 2005
    12,333 Posts
    despite all those great features it still has a mac sticker on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

29. Post #3549
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    Yeah still gotta figure out what exactly I should do with it, although there is an ongoing joke where my friends call it the iGuitar which is kind of stupid but the sticker is almost nostalgic now... Same thing with the sticker on the back of the guitar it was actually a Tigger sticker and my nickname since I was a child was Tigger. Even though it is all rubbed off and what not I keep it on there for the nostalgia.

Edited:

You can actually see it in that picture, now it is all rubbed off and all that is left is the flaky metallic background ha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #3550
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    Yeah still gotta figure out what exactly I should do with it, although there is an ongoing joke where my friends call it the iGuitar which is kind of stupid but the sticker is almost nostalgic now... Same thing with the sticker on the back of the guitar it was actually a Tigger sticker and my nickname since I was a child was Tigger. Even though it is all rubbed off and what not I keep it on there for the nostalgia.

Edited:

You can actually see it in that picture, now it is all rubbed off and all that is left is the flaky metallic background ha.
    What kind of trem you got in it? And what are the switches?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

31. Post #3551
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,861 Posts
    Stickers aren't so bad.

I was thinking about getting a big circular peace sign and putting it behind the bridge on my SG MM. The pickguard is like a crescent shape there, so a big circle would be form-fitting to it.

something like this, with the top line pointing at the neck, I think it would look cool:

But the black on black is just so sexy that I don't really want to ruin it, do they make special stickers that are easily removable with no residue?

32. Post #3552
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    The tremolo is the FAT10 that comes on the cheap ibanez guitar but I had to modify it because it had these stupid ass set screws sticking out of the top of the saddles to lock them down like in this picture.

Well sure as hell they stripped out because there was only a mm of the screw going into the block. So this created a problem now because the screws to adjust the intonation were all off because the intonation screws rested against the them so I put the springs on the inside of the trem plate and set it up like your traditional strat style trem.

Funny because a year after I did that Ibanez realized the same problem and did what I did...

The switches have been fun at first I just put a kill switch in which was just a momentary button, you can see it kind of in the picture I found from around 2008.

That button ended up breaking so I put in a new switch for it and then I ended up drilling another hole to put in a switch to coil split the neck pickup.

The white switch is in the original hole and it is no longer a kill switch since I wired my SD '59 to be four conductor, now they are both coils splits.

P.S. that piece of duct tape is covering the first hole I drilled when I wanted to put a second switch in, I ended up missing the cavity like a derp. So I covered it with a piece of tape...

Oh another fun picture I found when my guitar was covered in duct tape. :D

I actually did this initially because I hated the fact that I drilled a useless hole into my guitar...

33. Post #3553
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    UH OH, I'M DOING THINGS AGAIN

still need to solder it all together but I don't have any wire so it'll have to wait until tomorrow

custom controls for a jazz bass that I'm building. master volume, master tone, series/parallel switch

Edited:

also fingerprints

Edited:

the body I'm using is incredibly light, that little loaded control plate weighs like an ounce more than the body itself

Edited:

pieces just sitting in place, it's ~kawaii~

34. Post #3554
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    Love the pickguard, fits really well with the finish.

What pickups?

35. Post #3555
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    GFS JB Pros. nothing too exciting but I like the way they sound. Price wasn't really a factor, but it was nice ordering the pickguard material and pups from the same place. they're already kinda hot at 10k, shit's gonna be loud in series

I probably went through like 10 different suppliers getting parts for this build. control plate, neck screws (with threaded inserts!) and neck plate was from ebay, pots and the switch were from amazon, the string tree was from a different amazon dealer, the capacitors I already had but I think I got those from Amazon as well. I got lucky on the tuners, they were a reclaimed set off an SX bass I got from rondo for $10.00. the paint came from a local shop that mixes whatever you want, this thing has less than a millimeter of polyurethane on it. the wood for the body came from a guy that was selling some empress paulownia off a tree he had cut down in his yard, the neck wood (some maple, nothing exciting in the grain but it's a good stable cut) came from a local lumber yard, and the skunk stripe came from a piece of walnut I had left over from a coffee table a few years ago. fretwire was the last of some nickel 6105 from some old builds, only had like a foot left when I was done fretting it

Edited:

and the nut is whitetail deer antler, so my bass isn't vegan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #3556
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,744 Posts
    I wish I had the tools to build from scratch.

I guess it isn't too bad there are some good suppliers for guitar and bass bodies as well as necks, but if I ever want to create an original guitar it will be done from scratch.

Sucks too I had the opportunity to borrow a buddies shop when I was up in Alaska and I never took him up on it.

37. Post #3557
    June 2005
    12,333 Posts
    it's ~kawaii~
    only if it's made in japan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #3558
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    only if it's made in japan
    it's made by a weeaboo so I'd say that's close enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #3559
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,046 Posts
    it's made by a weeaboo so I'd say that's close enough
    All this time I thought your avatars were ironic.
    Seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3560
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    All this time I thought your avatars were ironic.
    Seriously.
    Nope I'm a pretty hardcore weab. Like stage six weab you're lucky I don't post about mai waifu all day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)