1. Post #1
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    Apparently megathreads get locked every month for whatever reason, so we need another one.
    This thread is for people to post their brilliant/absolutely fucking retarded ideas that will never get implemented into the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    mod api is the first thing needed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    I tend to think that the devs should work on the core game, although mob api is nice, there are a lot of unfinished things (obviously) that they need to finish, and I don't like games where to have fun you need to do mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    Fried eggs
    Craftable saddles and rideable camels for the desert biomes
    Redstone dust that can be placed on walls (perhaps by blending it with slime)
    Bring back pig spawners being obtainable by using Silk Touch on a mob spawner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2009
    2,265 Posts
    More types of strongholds and dungeons changing with the biome , the old default one for forest , overgrown one with vines on the walls for swamps/rainforests and an egyptian sandstone one for desert. There should be a chance for an overworld entrance and should seamlessly connect to caves with holes in the dungeon wall etc. Dungeon specific mobs would also be cool , mummies for sandstone tombes and such . Dungeons should be expanded to make minecraft more adventurous and its pretty infuriating to know that this and other features will never be expanded upon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2011
    111 Posts
    Bring back pig spawners being obtainable by using Silk Touch on a mob spawner
    A better idea, in my opinion, would be that every monsterspawner you find and destroy, should yield a fragment.
    If you combine nine of those fragments, you'll get an empty spawner. You could then enchant the spawner with a high cost enchantment, and after that combine the enchanted spawner with a specific mob drop.

For example if you combine an enchanted spawner with a bone, you'll get a Skeleton spawner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 23Winner Winner x 10Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    own-fucking-zone
    April 2009
    4,010 Posts
    Here's an idea: have more than one developer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    but they do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

9. Post #9
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Reposting my idea from the (Closed) chat thread:

I reckon it would be interesting if spiders could create cobwebs in tunnels, in light of the AI improvements.
    Whilst you're slowly trying to free yourself of the web or hack your way through, the spider would turn up and find you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,786 Posts
    I wish you could dye leather armor, that way you could tell members of factions apart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

11. Post #11
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    I wish you could dye leather armor, that way you could tell members of factions apart.
    unless they didn't wear the appropriate armor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,786 Posts
    unless they didn't wear the appropriate armor
    Shhh. It's a step in the right direction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    I agree with Simski; cooked eggs of some sort would be a good idea. Maybe pop them in the furnace or boil them in hot water somehow. Or maybe put several eggs in a bucket of water, put in the furnace, and you get several boiled eggs.

Probably not ideal, but Minecraft isn't known for being a realistic culinary simulation anyway, since culinary realism isn't one of the game's unique selling points, and the matter isn't anything to lose sleep over.

Also, if we had hats and capes, perhaps there could be slots for wearing said things over your armour, so you could still wear your diamond suit whilst looking like Indiana Jones. But then again Minecraft doesn't need to be TF2 at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    Shhh. It's a step in the right direction.
    If you take a step in the right direction and you forget what the next step is you're going to do one of those "Wait why did I go to the garage" moments
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    October 2011
    118 Posts
    rotaters, like pistons, but would rotate blocks on them 90 degrees
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    Rotators would indeed be awesome, though they'd need to be "programmable", so you could adjust which direction they move in. Would be useful for advanced contraptions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,016 Posts
    I wouldnt mind some control over the weather without mods. We can spawn mobs as we please in Creative, but I wouldnt mind my map being in a thunderstorm 24/7.

Unless this has been done and I missed it. I havent played MC in ages but im getting back into it.

18. Post #18

September 2011
    5,184 Posts
    I agree with Simski; cooked eggs of some sort would be a good idea. Maybe pop them in the furnace or boil them in hot water somehow. Or maybe put several eggs in a bucket of water, put in the furnace, and you get several boiled eggs.

Probably not ideal, but Minecraft isn't known for being a realistic culinary simulation anyway, since culinary realism isn't one of the game's unique selling points, and the matter isn't anything to lose sleep over.
    That's why, gentlemen, I present the concept of the OVEN! Just craft it by combining it in this matter:

Upon right-clicking, it combines the GUIs of the workbench and the furnace, alongside with a FUEL slot on the bottom-right and a COOK button on the center-right. This update should come with the same update as writable books (if they are ever official) because of cookbooks (Miscellaneous cookbooks for each food group is in a separate book. Pieces of cookbooks can be found in dungeons and strongholds. The odds of finding them are great.) Cookbooks also will lose their value once someone finds them and updates the wiki with them.

Of course, it could mean efficient methods of current recipes, like bread. Pounding WHEAT into FLOUR a la crafting and then placing a single slot of flour (even with a full stack) makes bread. For a boiled egg, just place an egg over a bucket of water and press COOK. Bang. You get your bucket back empty and a boiled egg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 16Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    I'd like it if instead of a stupid weather 1 or 0 thing, certain areas would snow/rain at random times, and those areas raining/snowing would be chosen randomly each time, and would do it more/less depending on the surrounding biomes, like a desert would rain once in a fucking life time, if you're next to an ocean it would rain frequently, if you're in the mountain it would hardly ever rain, on the top of the mountain it would snow a bit, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    Hmmm, an Oven would indeed be a much more viable structure for cookery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    imo a aga which you put on top of a furnace would fit in better

22. Post #22
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    A aga? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean a frying pan or stove addon?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    A aga? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean a frying pan or stove addon?

its those dome thingys at the top, you put food under them and it cooks
    it is a pretty old fashioned thing and only really exists in old british kitchens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    I want a flat land that still has random generation below it. Just have it around 30 blocks from the roof of the world (the clouds).

Is it flat? Y/N (Basically that)
    Generate different biomes? Y/N (Still want desert/swamp/etc grass and shit)
    Water? Y/N (this'll generate water randomnly but they're always far away from each other)
    Villages? Y/N (Want villages? Fuck you)
    Trees? Y/N (will generate small pockets of trees, around 6 - 10 and spread about 50 blocks apart from each other at least. So 50+ blocks)

Would be cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,667 Posts
    String and wool craftable into parachutes
    String, wool and iron craftable into a hang glider

With the huge mountains everywhere, and falling to your death being a common issue during building and mining, these would likely prove very useful.

Any other alternate methods of transportation would be neat too. Maybe wooden wagons that could be powered by a furnace, or...pulled by pigs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2010
    2,711 Posts
    I think it'd be cool if there was a steam engine block, built with 8 iron in a circle. In the GUI there'd be a spot for a bucket of water, and a spot for coal.

What this block does, I don't know. It'd be cool to have though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2011
    1,121 Posts
    I think that the food should have different effects on you when you eat them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #28
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    That'd be neat; though they'd need different effects to what Alchemy offers.

29. Post #29
    December 2011
    13 Posts
    rotaters, like pistons, but would rotate blocks on them 90 degrees
    Why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    January 2009
    3,860 Posts
    minecart tracks, dispensers, stairs, redstone clocks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31

September 2011
    5,184 Posts
    Stockholders of Redstonecycle, I present to you fishery additions. Hold on to your turbans, 'cause it's gonna get a bit messy describing this.

To greatly enhance your performance with fishing, one would need bait. But what would work for bait? This update would add bugs. They're not classified as anything, so they're just "Bugs." Bugs can be caught in empty bottles by right-clicking them. Bugs are visible in the game world as little pixels. Not too small to go unnoticed, but not too big to be easily noticeable. Their colors range from black to a dark desaturated green. They are also common around dawn and dusk. Once caught in bottles, the item "Bug in a Bottle" can stack up to 64.

Anyway, to use the bait, place either "Seeds," "Raw Fish," or "Bug in a Bottle" alongside a fishing rod to place it. This is shapeless, so it can be done in an inventory crafting grid.

Baiting a Bug in a Bottle

Baiting Raw Fish

Baiting Seeds

But wait! Big fish can be easily caught with "Raw Fish" at around the wee hours of the morn' or the late hours of dusk.
    If you really want fish, check in ocean biomes. They hold the largest fish, such as shark or octopus, if you're a sushi-eating hipster. To catch them or other fish, you will either need to craft a "Harpoon" or a "Fishing Net."

Harpoon

Fishing Net

What these fishing tools catch is up to Jeb if this ever makes it into an eMail to him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

32. Post #32
    May 2011
    5,102 Posts
    Crossbreeding.

Because it would just be fucking cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    what, so cross a enderman and a pig and you get a pigman?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts

its those dome thingys at the top, you put food under them and it cooks
    it is a pretty old fashioned thing and only really exists in old british kitchens
    Yeah... not sure how well that will roll with Notch originally making the game Sweden inspired, and not many countries being able to recognize this thing

Edited:

what, so cross a enderman and a pig and you get a pigman?
    Enderman + Creeper = Teleporting creepers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    Yeah... not sure how well that will roll with Notch originally making the game Sweden inspired, and not many countries being able to recognize this thing

Edited:

Enderman + Creeper = Teleporting creepers
    lol, well not really only in britian but in old homes
    a better thing would probably be a frying pan or a pressure cooker (sweden makes those right???)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    Breeding could do with a bit of an upgrade; like having certain traits in an animal be passed on to the next generation. Sheep have this to a limited extent, but it doesn't apply to the other mobs. If one could invest experience in mobs (improve them with skills), then breed said mobs, perhaps the offspring could benefit from ancestral power?

Also, perhaps if related mobs are bred (by related I mean being connected by family) too much, then the risk of yielding weaker offspring (and potential mutants) would become greater with each inbred generation, yielding low-quality items dropped by them and other bad things, which would be a discouragement for the current trend of inbreeding your livestock; which i've sadly practiced and should probably discontinue doing so, since continuing would further corrupt the gene pool of my cows, and they might end up turning into pale gibbering mutants if I carry on the way I am. (perhaps breeding the mis-bred mobs with "purer" natural mobs could reduce the level of "corruption" in the resultant offspring)

I hope this isn't too touchy a subject for you lot; I know that the subject of inbreeding and genetic "superiority" is a potentially controversial subject for normal folks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,842 Posts
    Breeding could do with a bit of an upgrade; like having certain traits in an animal be passed on to the next generation. Sheep have this to a limited extent, but it doesn't apply to the other mobs. If one could invest experience in mobs (improve them with skills), then breed said mobs, perhaps the offspring could benefit from ancestral power?

Also, perhaps if related mobs are bred (by related I mean being connected by family) too much, then the risk of yielding weaker offspring (and potential mutants) would become greater with each inbred generation, which would be a discouragement for the current trend of inbreeding your livestock; which i've sadly practiced and should probably discontinue doing so, since continuing would further corrupt the gene pool of my cows, and they might end up turning into pale gibbering mutants if I carry on the way I am. (perhaps breeding the mis-bred mobs with "purer" natural mobs could reduce the level of "corruption" in the resultant offspring)

I hope this isn't too touchy a subject for you lot; I know that the subject of inbreeding and genetic "superiority" is a potentially controversial subject for normal folks.
    USER WAS BANNED FOR: Griefing by breeding all of our cows into mutants
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,641 Posts
    Could be; it'd be damn creepy to see all our cows turn into pale beasts with small bodies, burning red eyes, lipless slathering mouths and long spindley legs. It'd be unsettling to see and would serve as a stern warning against the dangers of excessive inbreeding.

However using the right breeding programs, with correct diets and whatnot, one could create super-amazing variants of mobs, like if you feed your sheep on Glistering Melons and breed them correctly (avoiding the "corruption" yielded by excessive inbreeding), you get Golden Sheep that can be sheared to yield the amazing Golden Fleeces, which could be used in crafting for wonderful wonderful things like a Golden Cape or a Luxurious Bed (a step up from the plebian woolen beds we usually kip in). Perhaps Horned Sheep could come about by breeding Sheep fed on certain flowers?

Using feeding to alter the outcome of breeding could indeed be a cool thing to implement as a shuffle-up for breeding, and the risk of useless creepy-looking mutants coming from a heavily-limited gene pool would be a good discouragement for sloppy farmers.

Also as said before, different foods should give different effects to players, since currently in Minecraft man CAN live on bread alone, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Also also, should Spiders be breedable during the daytime, thus yielding a friendly Spider that acts like livestock even at night? Shearing them could yield String, and as mentioned umpteen times before, String should be used to make Silk instead of Wool, and Wool be acquired solely from Sheep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,864 Posts
    First, you can use a variety of different foods to make a slop. From the slop, you tame a pig. If a pig is tame, it will wander around you until you put a saddle on it (craftable saddles, also). Then, when you put a saddle on it, it becomes a mount. It will follow you unless you right click on it once, telling it to stay. Or, you can ride it by right clicking on it twice. While riding it or mousing over it, it will display a health bar and its name (which you can input). Bring its health up by feeding it slop. Movement will be controlled by the player, kind of like boats except with more responsive turning. It can travel across flat land and on 1-block slopes. You can also use tools on their backs, like swords and bows, but can't place blocks.

And there, we have a good land travel system that is already half-implemented and isn't ridiculous, like an ATV or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

40. Post #40

September 2011
    650 Posts
    You should be able to drink from still water to regain a small amount of HP (only 1/2 food points per 10/20 mins of play or something?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)