1. Post #3121
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,858 Posts
    Thanks!

boo its not compatible with my device.

Oh well, I can wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #3122
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    How can I get Google Chrome onto my phone, I cannot find it anywhere on the Store.
    Do you have ICS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #3123
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,858 Posts
    Do you have ICS?
    I will tomorrow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #3124
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,553 Posts
    I will tomorrow
    I'll get official ICS but Sony is all like, it's going to be slower, use more ram, etc.

So the FUCK YEAH ICS WILL MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER has died a bit. I think I might end up sticking with GingerBread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

5. Post #3125
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    It's because ICS was mostly designed to work with devices with 1GB RAM (and more of course). 2011 Xperias have 512MB.

But at least Sony is being mature about it and treats its customers like adults, explaining the situation and releasing ICS anyway with some toggles to turn certain features off, instead of just cancelling the whole update without a reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3126
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    Like HTC, however the came through in the end sort of

and acted like the lack of sense was a truly bad thing.

Although that might've been 2.3.something I can't remember
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #3127
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    Maxathon seems like a pretty cool browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #3128
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts

I wish that manufacturers would at least release stock ICS for phones that can't work with ICS + custom UI.
    Of course not through OTA, but maybe in a "dev centre" which would require more advanced users to flash it, since not everyone would be happy if the interface they got used to just dissapeared with an update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

9. Post #3129
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    When I got my SGS 2 it gave me the choice of the Orange UI or the samsung UI, they should do that

10. Post #3130

May 2006
    9,032 Posts
    Just found out Google Voice is available in the UK, tried setting it up on my Note for some visual voicemail with GiffGaff, realised the app isn't working yet and got charged 20p for international texts.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #3131
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    When I got my SGS 2 it gave me the choice of the Orange UI or the samsung UI, they should do that
    IT DID WHAT?

Are you serious or is this late April Fools? I've never heard about ANY phone giving you an option to run stock UI.

12. Post #3132
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,308 Posts
    IT DID WHAT?

Are you serious or is this late April Fools? I've never heard about ANY phone giving you an option to run stock UI.
    he said Orange or Samsung UIs, there's no stock UI mentioned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

13. Post #3133
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,205 Posts
    IT DID WHAT?

It's only a launcher choice.

Edited:

IT DID WHAT?

It's only a launcher choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #3134
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    he said Orange or Samsung UIs, there's no stock UI mentioned
    Oh, well I was thinking he meant stock UI because the default highlight color in GB is orange, but ICS has blue etc.

15. Post #3135
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,058 Posts
    Just rooted my Atrix 4G. Surprisingly easy.
    What apps should I get now?
    Is it possible to install another ROM, but still keep the default ROM? Like dualing booting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

16. Post #3136

May 2006
    9,032 Posts
    Speaking of UI choices, does ICS for the Note lock you in to TouchWiz's styling?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #3137
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    Official ICS? Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #3138
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,952 Posts
    Just rooted my Atrix 4G. Surprisingly easy.
    What apps should I get now?
    Is it possible to install another ROM, but still keep the default ROM? Like dualing booting?
    The closest you can get to dual booting is doing a nandroid backup using Clockworkmod recovery (CWM). When you do a Nandroid backup it basically creates a snapshot of your phone at that moment in time and can restore everything to exactly how you left it regardless as to what else you've done since. If you juggle two nandroid backups you could do a really awkward dual boot.

ROM wise, there's a couple of ICS ROMs, Neutrino's ROM and Nottach's ROM. All the ICS ROMs are still a bit ropey but decent if you can overlook the few shortfalls. I used the multidevice collab as a daily driver for quite a while, but Jokersax is a lazy dick when it comes to changelogs, so when you flash one you're basically going in blind. I'm currently using Nottach's ROM which is great if you want an optimized version of the stock ROM. Also comes with a really friendly installer. Neutrino is extremely fast but only because it's extremely barebones.

19. Post #3139
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    The official ICS release for the Nexus S 4G (Sprint) just hit, anybody know if this offers better battery options? My battery is always getting fucked on my CM9 install
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

20. Post #3140
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,553 Posts
    I'm looking for a tethering app, one which will give me a lot of info on whoever is using it, where I can kick users off of needed to where I can cap usage and speed of data.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

21. Post #3141
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    Updated my Browser Startup times Spreadsheet
    [sub]Also Reddit[/sub]
    It is now the average time of three launches of each browser. Default launcher and all that. I killed the browser after each launch with the task manager.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #3142
    March 2008
    3,195 Posts
    I'll get official ICS but Sony is all like, it's going to be slower, use more ram, etc.

So the FUCK YEAH ICS WILL MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER has died a bit. I think I might end up sticking with GingerBread.
    Sony is talking out their ass. Everything has been running better since I put ICS on my Xperia Mini. It's sexier, smoother, even the battery life has been better. Sony is probably just saying that because all their bloatware makes their firmware run like a dog.

Edited:

if youre still on stock i feel sorry for you.

Edited:

also there is nothing wrong with using more ram, it just means you'll have less apps being kept in memory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

23. Post #3143
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,947 Posts
    Sony is talking out their ass. Everything has been running better since I put ICS on my Xperia Mini. It's sexier, smoother, even the battery life has been better. Sony is probably just saying that because all their bloatware makes their firmware run like a dog.

Edited:

if youre still on stock i feel sorry for you.

Edited:

also there is nothing wrong with using more ram, it just means you'll have less apps being kept in memory.
    Same with my sgs1
    Samsung said that it wont run on my phone
    Runs faster than stock galaxy s II and my tegra 2 tablet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3144
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,553 Posts
    Well by the time I get ICS and install it in would probably get root and delete the bloatware anyways, or deal with it after I send my mini pro to fix, again so I can do other root related stuff. And yeah, I'm still on stock because the official one hasn't come out yet, you have a unofficial or leaked one or whatever.

25. Post #3145
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    It doesnt need 20 cores for it to run smooth. Thats why.

Edited:

Also dav0r speaks sense.
    That's very true, but there are a lot of things that need more computing power to run. 1080p video recording would be a start, and better 3D games would be able to run.

Why do you think Apple shoves monstrous GPUs into their iPhones and iPads? It isn't just for bragging rights, it's to make it possible to run incredibly high quality graphics without stuttering in 3D games. It only takes running a PS1 emulator once to realize that processing power really is quite important.

In other news, I ran the V6 Supercharger script on XDA and it really does work. In conjunction with something that flattens 3D widgets in Sense 3.0 and the entire phone boots up faster and operates with much less lag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

26. Post #3146
    March 2008
    3,195 Posts
    Well by the time I get ICS and install it in would probably get root and delete the bloatware anyways, or deal with it after I send my mini pro to fix, again so I can do other root related stuff. And yeah, I'm still on stock because the official one hasn't come out yet, you have a unofficial or leaked one or whatever.
    CM9. I unlocked my bootloader because Im a cool cat. Even after removing bloatware stock is still slow as shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

27. Post #3147
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,553 Posts
    CM9. I unlocked my bootloader because Im a cool cat. Even after removing bloatware stock is still slow as shit.
    Damn, an increase though freezing / deleting the crapware would solve everything...

yeah ill try other roms such as cm7-9

28. Post #3148
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts

It was the Desire, and while people who want and love AOSP are perfectly okay with it, the average person who was used to the 2.2 FroyoSense would freak the fuck out.

I can attest to the fact that any device from HTC with at least 512 MB RAM and a 1 GHz Snapdragon S2 with 4 GB internal NAND storage will run flawlessly on ICS. I know this because the One V has the same specifications.

The Desire Z may have more troubles as a result of only having 2GB available, but this just means that sd-ext will be needed. The Incredible S, Desire S, and similar phones will have no issues with running the exact same Sense 4.0A ICS OS that the One V does, and to say so otherwise is to fly in the face of logic. HTC is delivering updates for pretty much all phones near the spec level of the One V, so the fact that Sony isn't means more than just increased RAM usage, but shitty programming.

As it is on Gingerbread, my Desire HD runs blindingly fast with a few mods and custom ROMs.

Edited:

Same with my sgs1
    Samsung said that it wont run on my phone
    Runs faster than stock galaxy s II and my tegra 2 tablet
    Samsung is just being fucking lazy and deliberately EOLing the SGS1. The SGS1 obviously can take ICS, the Nexus S does it and there's more than enough internal storage with the 16 gigs it comes with, unless it has a weirdo 1 gig ROM and 15 gig microSD or something. The Hummingbird is more than fast enough to run it, and I know for a fact that with native ext4 partitioning the Galaxy S flies.

29. Post #3149
    March 2008
    3,195 Posts
    Damn, an increase though freezing / deleting the crapware would solve everything...

yeah ill try other roms such as cm7-9
    My dad got his stock rom running pretty well but he stripped it bare and overclocked it, which requires unlocking your bootloader and voiding your warrenty.

Edited:

You can safely overclock the mini pro to about 2Ghz stable, though it'll probably half the life of your phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

30. Post #3150
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    My dad got his stock rom running pretty well but he stripped it bare and overclocked it, which requires unlocking your bootloader and voiding your warrenty.

Edited:

You can safely overclock the mini pro to about 2Ghz stable, though it'll probably half the life of your phone.
    I'd say don't overclock the mini pro any higher than 1.5 GHz.

Edited:

I'd also suggest running AOSP with custom OOM scripts and the like (V6 Supercharger can do this, but you absolutely must run a nandroid backup before attempting because the changes it makes go deep.), that is the best way to get absolute speed.

31. Post #3151
    March 2008
    3,195 Posts
    Taking a look at supercharger... holy shit hes really trying hard to prove its the best thing ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

32. Post #3152
    February 2011
    4,525 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

33. Post #3153
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    Also, to those of you with a GT-I9100G, if you want official CM9 support, go here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=24471034
    If anyone cares: Codeworkx bought the GT-I9100G, CM7 is in progress, CM9 will start when there's atleast a leak of official ICS.

34. Post #3154
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    TRANSFORMER PRIME OWNERS: Asus is offering free GPS dongles for your tablets:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/05/A...me-GPS-Dongle/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #3155
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    Not deserving it's own thread; Whenever I get a message on Skype , my SGSII (stock I think is the right term 4.0.3, is normal GT-I9100) doesn't vibrate even though I have vibration on (Vibration Intensity for notification is around 50% or so in Settings -> Sound -> Vibration Intensity) in settings and in Skype (Notifications is ticked, New IMs is ticked and Notification vibrate is ticked), anyone able to help me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

36. Post #3156
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    I noticed perhaps it is a problem with ICS as my phone (SGS 2, non-stock 4.0.4) doesn't vibrate on incoming texts, it's quite annoying

37. Post #3157
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,731 Posts
    Is an Xperia Play still worth getting? i love the gamepad on it but i don't know if it's getting abit old.
    Though the main thing i'll do on it is running emulators, if it can do that i'm happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

38. Post #3158
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    I noticed perhaps it is a problem with ICS as my phone (SGS 2, non-stock 4.0.4) doesn't vibrate on incoming texts, it's quite annoying
    What ROM? I have CM9 and vibration works every time, but it's not the long vibration from stock gingerbread, instead it's two short vibrations.

And personally I like that more, because two vibrations with a short pause are more noticable while the phone its sock in my pocket.

edit: Have you tried playing with Vibration pattern in Messaging settings?

39. Post #3159
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    Perhaps I don't even have it enabled, also the screen doesn't turn on which is annoying

40. Post #3160
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    I "fixed" the screen not being turned on by using SMS Popup, displays a popup window with the message etc, the beta is a near complete rewrite for ICS and is pretty customizable.
    (obviously it allows the screen to be turned on for a selected period of time)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)