1. Post #4121
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    I love how he says he doesn't have time to root due to school and work, yet he has almost triple the time to spend talking about it on Facepunch

Only because I was rendering a short film and writing up an essay. I was switching back and forth facepunch a lot, and Reddit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

2. Post #4122
    All that white UI on a SAMOLED screen = Double screen power draw
    That's a pretty dumb thing to say, but by reading this post I realized why Android has a black interface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

3. Post #4123
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    Has anybody experiences with either the Sony Xperia S or the HTC One S? I can get myself a new phone (byby my dear old Desire) and I'm right now looking at those two.
    The One S is a great phone for the price.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4124
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,414 Posts
    That's a pretty dumb thing to say, but by reading this post I realized why Android has a black interface.
    Why dumb? He's right. White causes more battery usage on AMOLED screens. If you would use a white UI and 100% brightness, the battery of your Galaxy S2 would be gone within a few hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #4125
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    Why dumb? He's right. White causes more battery usage on AMOLED screens. If you would use a white UI and 100% brightness, the battery of your Galaxy S2 would be gone within a few hours.
    Also, using Screen Filter is only useful on AMOLED screens because black on LCD uses more power.

But it's still better to use in to save my eyes at night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

6. Post #4126
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,564 Posts
    So there's this new official CM9 for my Note. All works nice, except... EXCEPT MY FUCKING BROWSERS STILL GET KILLED.
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #4127
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,414 Posts
    Do you know if anyone else with a Note experiences that? Because if not, then I'm really thinking this is somekind of a weird hardware defect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #4128
    Why dumb?
    I was actually referring to my lack of thinking because it was today when I realized the purpose of black UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #4129
    Viking Chest hair simulator 2012
    June 2009
    2,477 Posts
    I just upgraded from a M835 to a galaxy attain from metro. It's a really nice phone and i've already rooted it, the one thing i don't like is all the adware though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #4130
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,414 Posts
    Ads?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=org.adaway
    (one of many ad blockers)

When Google started putting shit-tier ads (LOL MEETUP IN UR CITY?) into Maps, I just had to install this. Now ads are gone everywhere (except angry birds where it sort of glitches).

Before anyone throws rocks at me for disabling ads - 99% of downloaded apps on my phone are either paid versions or free adless versions. The only exceptions are ROM manager (I never use it anyway, it comes with CM) and Angry Birds Space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

11. Post #4131
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,965 Posts
    I just upgraded from a M835 to a galaxy attain from metro. It's a really nice phone and i've already rooted it, the one thing i don't like is all the adware though.
    Use titanium backup to uninstall carrier bloatware and adaway to get rid of in app ads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4132
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,644 Posts
    The One S is a great phone for the price.
    It's my favourite right now, but no micro-sd slot and only 16GB of space is what's putting me off right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events

13. Post #4133
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    If 16GB is not enough for you, then the phone might not be right for you. If you have a ton of music that you want to listen to on the go, or watch tv shows/movies then you might want more space.

I watch a ton, that's why I have a 32gb MicroSD card.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

14. Post #4134
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    If 16GB is not enough for you, then the phone might not be right for you. If you have a ton of music that you want to listen to on the go, or watch tv shows/movies then you might want more space.

It comes with 25Gb dropbox storage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #4135
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,644 Posts

If I think about it, so far I was able to cope with 8gb But I would like to get some more games on it, so my space requirements would go up fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

16. Post #4136
    April 2009
    14,564 Posts
    I have 26.79GB of music. My SD card is pretty much all music.
    At this rate I'll have to buy an iPod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

17. Post #4137
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    It comes with 25Gb dropbox storage
    Mobile Data Bandwidth limits? I wouldn't stream music off DropBox or any other online cloud storage, even if I did have unlimited 3G/4G, etc.

25GB of DropBox or not, I wouldn't really like being stuck with only 16GB, IMO.

Edited:

If I think about it, so far I was able to cope with 8gb But I would like to get some more games on it, so my space requirements would go up fast.
    You might end up regretting not getting any other phone with microSD card expansion) because of the limited space. The One S is still an amazing phone, but if you need/want/might want the storage, I would recommend the Xperia S because it has more space to begin with.

Also, mobile games (well, the 3D ones) are getting better and better, and larger, requiring more space and CPU/RAM/phone resources. Both have high end specs, so it can handle these games.

TL;DR: I would recommend any other phone strictly because of the microSD card expansion option. Or the Xperia S over the One S since it has more internal storage space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #4138
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,644 Posts
    Mobile Data Bandwidth limits? I wouldn't stream music off DropBox or any other online cloud storage, even if I did have unlimited 3G/4G, etc.

25GB of DropBox or not, I wouldn't really like being stuck with only 16GB, IMO.

Edited:

You might end up regretting not getting the Xperia S (or any other phone with microSD card expansion) because of the limited space. The One S is still an amazing phone, but if you need/want/might want the storage, I would recommend the Xperia S (or any other phone with microSD card expansion).

Also, mobile games (well, the 3D ones) are getting better and better, and larger, requiring more space and CPU/RAM/phone resources. Both have high end specs, so it can handle these games.

TL;DR: I would recommend the Xperia S strictly because of the microSD card expansion option.
    Alright, thanks for the advice.

19. Post #4139
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    Xperia S has bloody awful navigation buttons.

20. Post #4140
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,644 Posts
    You mean the physical ones?

21. Post #4141
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    It's not really bad...

(it's a big pic, open to see it larger)

22. Post #4142
    March 2010
    586 Posts

Redesigned the engadget app because the current one looks like a lazy iOS port
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #4143
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Why do you even read Engadget, it's biased as fuck.

Edited:

It's not really bad...

(it's a big pic, open to see it larger)
    I thought it was but, but not THAT bad. Design over functionality, I hate it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #4144
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,126 Posts
    How could I use the MIUI Metro icon pack without having MIUI
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

25. Post #4145
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,491 Posts
    Maybe the button are a little silly, but it looks like a fully functional phone to me.

26. Post #4146
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts

It seem's like it has both design and functionality...

27. Post #4147
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Pledged for a pebble e-paper watch, now wait for it to come!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #4148
    April 2009
    14,564 Posts
    Why do you even read Engadget, it's biased as fuck.
    I dunno, I find Engadget fine. Much better than Gizmodo, at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

29. Post #4149
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Has anybody experiences with either the Sony Xperia S or the HTC One S? I can get myself a new phone (byby my dear old Desire) and I'm right now looking at those two.
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GET THE XPERIA S

The Hayabusa is coming out and will make the Xperia S pointless. The One S is the way to go if you really want a phone right now.

Edited:

God miui is so pretty.

Sense feels better, IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

30. Post #4150
    You guys hear about the Ubuntu+Android desktop integration? It would work like Webtop does. I think that's really cool and can help professionals in the work place, just general fun if you want to hook up your phone to stream something on somebody's TV or computer, and to generate publicity for Ubuntu.

31. Post #4151
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Did you hear that some guys remade android on C# instead of Dalvik?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

32. Post #4152
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,126 Posts
    So I was trying mass delete all contacts in my phone book and ICS doesn't have an option for that from what I saw so I deleted Contacts storage in Titanium backup.
    Now I can't enter my contacts.
    I got AppExtractor and took the apps out that CWM backed up before I changed to Cyanogen and I reinstalled Contacts and it still wont work I get the android.process.acore stopped working error.
    I know your meant to clear the cache to solve it but this isn't fixing it for me
    Any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

33. Post #4153
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,414 Posts
    Pledged for a pebble e-paper watch, now wait for it to come!
    Dude. Review. I'm really interested in one of those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

34. Post #4154
    January 2009
    436 Posts
    Sauce? This looks really interesting.

35. Post #4155
    Viking Chest hair simulator 2012
    June 2009
    2,477 Posts
    Use titanium backup to uninstall carrier bloatware and adaway to get rid of in app ads.
    Thank. you. So. Much. It went down from 144mb of ram free, to 215mb and it should considerably increase the horrid battery life.

36. Post #4156
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,724 Posts
    Port everything now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

37. Post #4157
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    I have a feeling that Dalvik is the reason why Android has some performance issues.

Edited:

For everything else, there's Android NDK.

Edited:

It also helps when you have to check your phone in a dark room by not searing your retinas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

38. Post #4158
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,192 Posts
    All that white UI on a SAMOLED screen = Double screen power draw
    It's not like I'll be looking at the settings screen the whole time. I'm more worried about the white gapps as that's used far more often.

39. Post #4159
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

40. Post #4160
    Is there any reason to use a screen protector on a phone with Gorilla Glass?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events