1. Post #5081
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Here's how Windows Phone 7 cheated (technically).

The contest was to see who can write something to Twitter and Facebook faster.

This is the iPhone approach: Go to Twitter, write something, submit. Go to Facebook, write something, submit.

This is the Windows Phone 7 approach: Type something, press send. Bam, it's sent to every social media site you setted up.

Here's an analogy of this: You are going onto a flight to let's say New York City, so is the other guy (with the Windows Phone 7). You wait in line, get your bags checked, go through security, and get on your flight. You arrive to New York City. The other guy on the other hand skips the lines, skips the security and skips the flight and still arrives to New York City, faster than you, therefore practically teleporting to New York City.

This is why Windows Phone 7 won, instead of going to each app, there's a unified social media system that just sends everything off on every social media site you selected before, saying the same message.

You can beat this if you had an app that can do what Windows Phone 7 did.
    I know HTC Sense has it integrated, Friendstream does the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

2. Post #5082
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,143 Posts
    Never trust reviews, seriously. Go to a shop and check the device out. If you like it, buy it.
    Before buying, examine it, if you can.
    I did that but IDK if it was a 9100 or 9100G etc. Also they don't have 4.0 in shops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

3. Post #5083
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,639 Posts
    All three social media I use have a different public: twitter for online friends and GMod stuff, facebook for real life friends and family and google+ for following Android, Linux and other professionals. Chances that I want to post something on all three media are very slim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #5084
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,205 Posts
    The HTC One X has just beaten the iPhone in stuff magazine making it the first time the iPhone has not been number 1 since it's release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5085
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Here's how Windows Phone 7 cheated (technically).

The contest was to see who can write something to Twitter and Facebook faster.

This is the iPhone approach: Go to Twitter, write something, submit. Go to Facebook, write something, submit.

This is the Windows Phone 7 approach: Type something, press send. Bam, it's sent to every social media site you setted up.

Here's an analogy of this: You are going onto a flight to let's say New York City, so is the other guy (with the Windows Phone 7). You wait in line, get your bags checked, go through security, and get on your flight. You arrive to New York City. The other guy on the other hand skips the lines, skips the security and skips the flight and still arrives to New York City, faster than you, therefore practically teleporting to New York City.

This is why Windows Phone 7 won, instead of going to each app, there's a unified social media system that just sends everything off on every social media site you selected before, saying the same message.

You can beat this if you had an app that can do what Windows Phone 7 did.
    So I just fire up tweetdeck or something similar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #5086
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,864 Posts
    The HTC One X has just beaten the iPhone in stuff magazine making it the first time the iPhone has not been number 1 since it's release.
    Another reason why I fucking hate Verizon, that they never get any grand phones.

Edited:

One thing I hate about HTC sense is how unwidget-like the widgets are. You cannot really do much with them unless you tap them to go into a separate menu, which destroy's the purpose of the widget imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

7. Post #5087
    November 2010
    241 Posts
    Just a quick question to you galaxy S2 or S3 owners out there:

Does the size of the phones ever really get in your way or on your nerves? I'm planning on getting the S3 now that it's out, but the size still seems a bit overwhelming compared to what I'm used to (Nokia 5500).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

8. Post #5088
    February 2011
    4,526 Posts
    What you will notice is how everything below your phone's screen size will look like a GameBoy screen in comparison once you've gotten used to it.

You may think it's a bit big at first, but that'll pass faster than you know once you used it for a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #5089
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,308 Posts
    What you will notice is how everything below your phone's screen size will look like a GameBoy screen in comparison once you've gotten used to it.

You may think it's a bit big at first, but that'll pass faster than you know once you used it for a while.
    every phone except my S2 now seems small in comparison to it

haven't seen any phone larger than it though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

10. Post #5090
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,591 Posts
    Just a quick question to you galaxy S2 or S3 owners out there:

Does the size of the phones ever really get in your way or on your nerves? I'm planning on getting the S3 now that it's out, but the size still seems a bit overwhelming compared to what I'm used to (Nokia 5500).
    you ill eventually adjust to that huge phone you now have
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

11. Post #5091
    I've seen a Note a few months before I got S2 and I think I wouldn't be very impressed by its size now. Actually I don't think anything would impress me more than S2 in next few years, especially after seeing depth of field and bloom effects in N.O.V.A. 3. About 6-7 years ago I was hugely impressed every time I saw those but I wouldn't expect them in a mobile phone game. Seriously, that's some fucking magic.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #5092
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    One thing I hate about HTC sense is how unwidget-like the widgets are. You cannot really do much with them unless you tap them to go into a separate menu, which destroy's the purpose of the widget imo.
    Depends for the most part, you can get at a glance information without having to go into anything, but if you want to read a full article or see a full size photo you have to go into a menu, etc

Generally not too bad.

Edited:

I've seen a Note a few months before I got S2 and I think I wouldn't be very impressed by its size now. Actually I don't think anything would impress me more than S2 in next few years, especially after seeing depth of field and bloom effects in N.O.V.A. 3. About 6-7 years ago I was hugely impressed every time I saw those but I wouldn't expect them in a mobile phone game. Seriously, that's some fucking magic.
    I can't be the only one who hates those effects because it makes it harder to see enemies....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #5093
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,435 Posts
    I'll be honest, playing FPS games on a touchscreen is a nightmare for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

14. Post #5094
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    5,169 Posts
    Thats why we have USB-host capability so that we can plug in a wireless mouse and keyboard!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

15. Post #5095
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Touchscreens are shitty interfaces for games/tactile feedback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

16. Post #5096
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,448 Posts
    every phone except my S2 now seems small in comparison to it

haven't seen any phone larger than it though
    Galaxy Note.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Switzerland Show Events Zing Zing x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #5097
    You can skip the iPhone part, it always ends the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

18. Post #5098
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,604 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #5099
    February 2011
    4,526 Posts
    NOT THE SINK! PLEASE GOD NOT THE SINK!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #5100
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,633 Posts
    Sixaxis Controller on the market, you just need a PS3 controller.

It is a godsend for any gaming, some games autodetect the PS3 controller, emulators can be configured with it, it makes everything better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #5101
    There's also USB/BT Joystick Center 6 app, in the description it says it works even with USB controllers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

22. Post #5102
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,412 Posts
    I can't be the only one who hates those effects because it makes it harder to see enemies....
    I hate these effects because every game ever is overusing the ever loving shit out of them. But it's definitely a great achievement to be able to do something like that on a cellphone.

Edited:

Holy shit color me impressed if the S3 is waterproof. But I'd like to see the same guy report back in with the same phone a month or so later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

23. Post #5103
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,308 Posts
    Galaxy Note.
    haven't seen one in person/haven't physically held it, smartass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #5104
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,174 Posts
    -snip-
    Flashing the ROM again fixed it

25. Post #5105
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,591 Posts
    It's even worse on my tiny-ass 3-inch screen

So little games support hardware buttons like the camera button which can be used for shooting (which has been seen in Counter Strike: Portable for Android)...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #5106
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    Hey I found an old thread I made...
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread....432&highlight=

We won!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #5107
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    Other than that, which phone would be a great choice? That has a good supporting community, will, most definitely root and is in a price range of three - four hundred eu?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

28. Post #5108
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,205 Posts
    Other than that, which phone would be a great choice? That has a good supporting community, will, most definitely root and is in a price range of three - four hundred eu?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #5109
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    677 Posts
    My LG-P690 running Android 2.3.4 thinks it's funny to fuck up the contacts, resulting in a crash of android.process.acore each time I open the contacts list. The only way to fix it is by doing a factory reset + SD card erase. I never installed non-market apps.

Today I downloaded an app (Touchpal Contacts) which, hopefully, won't fuck me up as badly. Today was the 2nd or third time my contacts fucked up.

I've also got another problem. I can't install any custom ROMs (the phone is already rooted) because, from what I've seen, some LG DRM will do a factory reset each time ROM Manager by Clockwork tries to fiddle with ROM-based stuff.

Now, for the main questions: What is causing the android.process.acore crash? Is there a permanent solution to it? How do I remove the LG DRM? Is it safe to do it without bricking my device? If I do brick the device, can I install a Linux distribution on it even if it has only 160 MB of internal storage?

And before you ask, yes, I did Google it first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

30. Post #5110
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,872 Posts
    My LG-P690 running Android 2.3.4 thinks it's funny to fuck up the contacts, resulting in a crash of android.process.acore each time I open the contacts list. The only way to fix it is by doing a factory reset + SD card erase. I never installed non-market apps.

Today I downloaded an app (Touchpal Contacts) which, hopefully, won't fuck me up as badly. Today was the 2nd or third time my contacts fucked up.

I've also got another problem. I can't install any custom ROMs (the phone is already rooted) because, from what I've seen, some LG DRM will do a factory reset each time ROM Manager by Clockwork tries to fiddle with ROM-based stuff.

Now, for the main questions: What is causing the android.process.acore crash? Is there a permanent solution to it? How do I remove the LG DRM? Is it safe to do it without bricking my device? If I do brick the device, can I install a Linux distribution on it even if it has only 160 MB of internal storage?

And before you ask, yes, I did Google it first.
    On my experience with custom roms, whenever my phone kept constantly crashing the android.process.acore, there was no reason to why it kept doing it. But, the only solution to fix it is to wipe and re-flash the ROM.

31. Post #5111
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,205 Posts
    Pretty much the above for the acore problem. A fresh installation with no restoration of apps (data should be fine) is the best bet! As for the other queries it really is device specific I'm afraid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #5112
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,837 Posts
    Woop so i just ordered my first Android smartphone the Galaxy S2, i can't wait to receive the package now :D paid 3000 kroner for it, equal to about 400.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

33. Post #5113
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    So my Galaxy S2 refused to admit that it's plugged in, nothing about USB debugging or anything. Even Odin doesn't recognise my phone is plugged in. What can I do?

34. Post #5114
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,448 Posts
    So my Galaxy S2 refused to admit that it's plugged in, nothing about USB debugging or anything. Even Odin doesn't recognise my phone is plugged in. What can I do?
    Try another cable, it could be broken or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #5115
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    It still charges at the computer, just neither computer or phone recognise the existence of the other

36. Post #5116
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,143 Posts
    Yes try a different cable, my original SE cable did that as well after a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #5117
    You can also try connecting it to another computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

38. Post #5118
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    Other computer doesn't work either

39. Post #5119
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,591 Posts
    Restart everything (computer and device), worked for me when my cable was crapping out on me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

40. Post #5120
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,308 Posts
    Other computer doesn't work either
    if it isn't the computer nor the phone it's something else

hint: it's the CABLE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)