1. Post #5681
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,965 Posts
    Anyone recommend a task killer with an easy to set up whitelist? I know they're taboo but on my Atrix if too many apps are running in the background when I plug in to my lapdock and try and use firefox some unclosable 'low memory' window pops up, neatly shielding the buttons and first tab.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #5682
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,238 Posts
    I'm buying my first smartphone today. Right now I'm stuck between GSIII, GNexus and OneX. Which one should I choose and why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #5683
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,912 Posts
    just got the OTA for the droid razr. ICS tonight :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #5684
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,172 Posts
    I'm buying my first smartphone today. Right now I'm stuck between GSIII, GNexus and OneX. Which one should I choose and why?
    One X if you're fancy GSIII if you're not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5685
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,238 Posts
    One X if you're fancy GSIII if you're not.
    I'm really tempted by the Galaxy Nexus with vanilla Android 4.0.1

A tough choice :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #5686
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,654 Posts
    My friend just got his first smartphone, a Huawei Ascend II on straight talk for $100
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #5687
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,431 Posts

GS3 will probably have an extremely active dev community so you'll probably be able to get vanilla 4.0.1 anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #5688
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Why would you want 4.0.1 when you could get 4.1?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #5689
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts

Even as good as vanilla Android is, I really have to say Samsung did a magnificent job on the Touchwiz in the SGS3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #5690
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,414 Posts
    Nexus if you want a flawless stock android experience (and quick update to 4.1) and don't mind the 16GB storage with no sd card slot or just a 5MP camera (still takes great pictures though).
    HTC One X or GS3 if you want a fancy top end phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #5691
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,965 Posts
    The nexus is left behind specs wise by the other two phones. Personally I'd probably go for the One X despite it not having as many features as the GS3 because I am a ~slave to fashion~.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #5692
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    The nexus is left behind specs wise by the other two phones. Personally I'd probably go for the One X despite it not having as many features as the GS3 because I am a ~slave to fashion~.
    Go to a store and see for yourself, the S3 really is just as beautiful in real life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #5693
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,685 Posts
    Just got a GS3, it is beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #5694
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,792 Posts
    GS3 if you feel the internal storage of One X/GNex won't be enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #5695
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    GS3 if, like me, you like to keep backups of your apps just in case.

Edited:

Also, just found out about unified remote. Love. It. They better start working on that linux server though, would love to control xbmc on my Rasp PI with my phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #5696
    February 2011
    2,233 Posts
    Anyone recommend a task killer with an easy to set up whitelist? I know they're taboo but on my Atrix if too many apps are running in the background when I plug in to my lapdock and try and use firefox some unclosable 'low memory' window pops up, neatly shielding the buttons and first tab.
    Something is pretty much wrong in there, whenever android needs to alloc more ram, it should kill whatever lies in the background, instead of saying "Low RAM".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #5697
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,965 Posts
    Something is pretty much wrong in there, whenever android needs to alloc more ram, it should kill whatever lies in the background, instead of saying "Low RAM".
    It's probably because the Linux environment it boots in to doesn't appear as an app or something, meaning other apps won't be kicked out of the memory to make way for it.

Doesn't happen all the time but if I've been flitting around between a bunch of apps then plug it straight in to my lapdock it'll stick around 15-20% free memory which is apparently not enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #5698
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    oh wow, just had to fix a friend's shitty android 2.1 phone. it wouldn't connect to market, so I had to backup contacts and stuff and factory reset. only problem is I couldn't install titanium backup; like I said, market wouldn't connect, and it seemed to corrupt every APK coming in to it through bluetooth and was just generally unable to parse APKs. I felt so good when I finally remembered that ADB has a direct install option over USB. I "adb install"ed titanium and got that shit backed up and reset. feels good man (even though the phone is still shit)

Edit: also, forgot to mention that USB drivers didn't automatically install, in fact 4 different unknown devices showed up in device manager, for which I had to manually install 4 different INFs I found on the interwebs (COM, debug, modem. wtf)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #5699
    February 2011
    4,526 Posts
    Go to a store and see for yourself, the S3 really is just as beautiful in real life.
    Sorry to say this, but I really disliked the case of the S3 when I checked it out in the store. That glossy back felt cheap in my hands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #5700
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Sorry to say this, but I really disliked the case of the S3 when I checked it out in the store. That glossy back felt cheap in my hands.
    Que? The back is a whole with the device. How.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #5701
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    HTC One X is on discount right now :)
    black: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=745784
    white: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=745795

Ohh, they cost the same. Komplett have just made a typo ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #5702
    February 2011
    4,526 Posts
    Que? The back is a whole with the device. How.
    Especially the gloss in the back made it feel cheap*.

23. Post #5703
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,238 Posts
    I just got back from the store with HTC One X (black). First time charge now! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

24. Post #5704
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,566 Posts
    Congratulations! Enjoy your phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #5705
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    I just got back from the store with HTC One X (black). First time charge now! :)
    I still look at mine a few months on and think it looks great, something I've never done with a phone before.

26. Post #5706
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,893 Posts
    To everyone who tried the s3, you guys are lucky. All I see is a foam cut out model

Anyways, if I can choose between three, I would go for the s3 because of the sd card expansion so I can use my shit. (music, movies and games)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #5707
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    To everyone who tried the s3, you guys are lucky. All I see is a foam cut out model

Anyways, if I can choose between three, I would go for the s3 because of the sd card expansion so I can use my shit. (music, movies and games)
    I've got my Verizon preorder down, just in time to preserve my "unlimited" data plan for another 2 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #5708
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,180 Posts
    I seem to have the worst luck with motorola

I just want to give you all a little bit of a back story before I tell you happened. Every night I plug in my phone and let it charge overnight, but this night was different. I had recently upgraded to the .905 update for my bionic that Verizon put out. The Phone was running smoothly and I had no problems.

Until 2 AM this morning...
    I woak up to find my phone HOTTER THAN THE MOTHER FUCKING SUN. I reached out to grab it. Holy hell, that was a mistake. The screen around the area where my hand grabbed went black, and the edges around it were faded. I pulled the battery and let it cool down. Now my phone's battery wont charge, and my phone eats my spare batteries up with a vengance. (100% charge to 0% in around 20-30 minutes.)

The only good thing about this is I can use my bionic as a space heater now.
    That's pretty cool I guess...

This is my 4th Motorola Bionic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #5709
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #5710
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,965 Posts
    tl;dr motorola sucks
    As much as I love my Atrix... Yeah, they do. Would have been grumpy if I'd paid full price for it, that's for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #5711
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    As much as I love my Atrix... Yeah, they do. Would have been grumpy if I'd paid full price for it, that's for sure.
    I remember when the Droid was the pinnacle of Android phones, and smartphones as a whole.

That was fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #5712
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    I seem to have the worst luck with motorola

I just want to give you all a little bit of a back story before I tell you happened. Every night I plug in my phone and let it charge overnight, but this night was different. I had recently upgraded to the .905 update for my bionic that Verizon put out. The Phone was running smoothly and I had no problems.

Until 2 AM this morning...
    I woak up to find my phone HOTTER THAN THE MOTHER FUCKING SUN. I reached out to grab it. Holy hell, that was a mistake. The screen around the area where my hand grabbed went black, and the edges around it were faded. I pulled the battery and let it cool down. Now my phone's battery wont charge, and my phone eats my spare batteries up with a vengance. (100% charge to 0% in around 20-30 minutes.)

The only good thing about this is I can use my bionic as a space heater now.
    That's pretty cool I guess...

This is my 4th Motorola Bionic.
    What the fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #5713
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    Could be a dumb question, but is anti-virus worth installing on my SIII?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #5714
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    No. If you suspect you've got malware, download something and scan it, but antivirus software on an Android phone is generally useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #5715
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,050 Posts
    my s60v5 device told me i should get virus protection
    it recommended mcaffee
    i uninstalled the app
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #5716
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,038 Posts
    just got the OTA for the droid razr. ICS tonight :)
    meanwhile, my rezound is still on the fence
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #5717
    April 2010
    1,768 Posts
    Hmm, strange, while charging my Galaxy S2 yesterday I picked it up to find it felt really hot, I checked the battery temp and it was 52 degrees c, temp dropped very quickly when I stopped it charging, and while charging now it seems ok. But 52 is hotter than it should ever get isn't it?

38. Post #5718
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,893 Posts
    It's probably just the initial charge or the first time ever the battery or something, charging in general would make a battery warm but it seems odd for it to be that hot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #5719
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    I have an anti-virus on my phone, but I don't use it for antivirus, I use it for the call/SMS blocking, intensely integrated anti-theft features, browser warnings for phishing sites, and showing lists of what programs use what permissions.

Edited:

By the way, I strongly advise against anyone buying Tegra devices, Nvidia fucking sucks when it comes to getting drivers for updated phones.

40. Post #5720
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I have an anti-virus on my phone, but I don't use it for antivirus, I use it for the call/SMS blocking, intensely integrated anti-theft features, browser warnings for phishing sites, and showing lists of what programs use what permissions.
    I have one purely for blocking anonymous numbers from calling or texting me.
    If you wanna contact me then don't hide your identity from me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)