1. Post #4081
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Silly question, can i boot into windows on the transformer?
    I believe windows 2000 has an ARM version, you should be able to install that on the tablet I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #4082
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,411 Posts
    I might need help with updating to ICS though later (I hope I'll be able to do that myself).
    I think Poland should already have a second update to ICS (fixes for the original ICS release and such).
    Anyway, either try checking for update in Settings - About Phone, or connect it to your computer, run Samsung Kies and it should offer you the update automatically.

Most of your user data should stay (apps and their settings), but I think homescreen configuration will get reset. However, if you keep having problems after the update (slow phone*, lockups etc), you should do a factory reset (all apps and settings will be reset, things like pictures/videos will stay), that seems to help a lot, since updating from Android 2.3 and 4.0 is a really major change.

* Galaxy S2 should NOT feel slow. This phone is loaded with power, the exynos CPU is specifically made for speed. If you experience slowness after the ICS update, something is not right (usually it's some app still configured for Android 2.3 and that keeps doing bad things).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #4083
    I think Poland should already have a second update to ICS (fixes for the original ICS release and such).
    Anyway, either try checking for update in Settings - About Phone, or connect it to your computer, run Samsung Kies and it should offer you the update automatically.

Most of your user data should stay (apps and their settings), but I think homescreen configuration will get reset. However, if you keep having problems after the update (slow phone, lockups etc), you should do a factory reset (all apps and settings will be reset, things like pictures/videos will stay), that seems to help a lot, since updating from Android 2.3 and 4.0 is a really major change.

* Galaxy S2 should NOT feel slow. This phone is loaded with power, the exynos CPU is specifically made for speed. If you experience slowness after the ICS update, something is not right (usually it's some app still configured for Android 2.3 and that keeps doing bad things).
    My SGS II is branded by Orange (one of the operators in Europe) and as far as I know the update itself should be available by late April/early May.
    And this is probably why Kies refuses to update it as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

4. Post #4084
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,593 Posts
    No, the Transformer uses an ARM processor (along with every other Android device) which isn't compatible with Windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #4085
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    No, the Transformer uses an ARM processor (along with every other Android device) which isn't compatible with Windows.
    Win8 will have ARM support
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #4086
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,411 Posts
    My SGS II is branded by Orange (one of the operators in Europe) and as far as I know the update itself should be available by late April/early May.
    And this is probably why Kies refuses to update it as well.
    Oh. That changes everything. Carrier branded phones get it later, yeah. It shouldn't be too long though. Poland is usually quick with updates.

For example, all 3 carriers in Czech Republic + standard GS2 already have ICS, and Czech Republic used to be SLOW with updates.

Although.. Hold on a second. (KOR) at the end of "Current firmware version" implies stock Korean firmware. I think you can change that though, I doubt anyone actually checks for this code.

Edited:

Also, Note users. New CM9 is on the way:
    https://twitter.com/#!/xplodwild/sta...97372067315712
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #4087
    Although.. Hold on a second. (KOR) at the end of "Current firmware version" implies stock Korean firmware. I think you can change that though, I doubt anyone actually checks for this code.
    Do I lose warranty or something by changing it?

8. Post #4088
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,952 Posts
    Lapdock arrived for my Atrix and it is SO COOL except for the placement of the shift key on the keyboard and lack of touchpad scroll.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #4089
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,520 Posts
    Dumb ass question but can I like remove crapware on my phone without root through the computer browser/special browser on PC?

edit: the disagree's have pretty much answered my question, damn it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #4090
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,411 Posts
    Do I lose warranty or something by changing it?
    Theoretically, yes, but I've had my first Galaxy S2 sent for a warranty repair 4 times, each time I tried changing the code (I had no idea about android back then, I tried everything to make that defective one work), and nobody complained about that.

Even so, 99,9% changes that you make to the software of a Galaxy S2 can be reverted back into the state where even Samsung couldn't find out if you did anything.
    tl;dr warranty can be restored.

Plus, they usually only check if you installed a custom ROM or rooted the phone.

Edited:

Dumb ass question but can I like remove crapware on my phone without root through the computer browser/special browser on PC?
    Possible with some apps if you're on ICS unrooted. Without ICS, you have to root. no other way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

11. Post #4091
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts

edit: the disagree's have pretty much answered my question, damn it...
    Why don't you root it instead of whining about how you can't do stuff without root?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

12. Post #4092
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,520 Posts
    Why don't you root it instead of whining about how you can't do stuff without root?
    No time right now to dive into rooting, flashing custom ROMs, kernels, etc. (because of school), so instead I will do so in the summer time, or when I can get my phone fixed again (it wasn't fully fixed the first time).

So soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #4093
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    No time right now to dive into rooting, flashing custom ROMs, kernels, etc. (because of school), so instead I will do so in the summer time, or when I can get my phone fixed again (it wasn't fully fixed the first time).

So soon.
    It takes no more than 30 minutes depending on your phone, really. Download file, turn off phone, connect to computer, start odin, start phone in download mode, select the file and bam, rooted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #4094
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,520 Posts
    It takes no more than 30 minutes depending on your phone, really. Download file, turn off phone, connect to computer, start odin, start phone in download mode, select the file and bam, rooted.
    Rooting and flashing will take time out of my hands and like I said before, I have school to worry about and work on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #4095
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,952 Posts
    Man, this lapdock is some sci-fi shit.

Wish I could get Chrome on it without performing Linux witchcraft.

16. Post #4096
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Rooting and flashing will take time out of my hands and like I said before, I have school to worry about and work on.
    You're saying it like rooting is a full-time job.

17. Post #4097
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,520 Posts
    You're saying it like rooting is a full-time job.
    No but it will take up a some time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #4098
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    15-20 minutes tops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #4099
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,011 Posts
    Yeah, and most of the time your phone is flashing the ROM. Seriously. You download a couple files. Send a few commands to the phone over ADB. Wait for those to flash. Then download and copy a ROM to the phone. And then boot into a recovery.

Then wait maybe 5-10 minutes while the phone is flashing the ROM (and you can do other things during this period) and then wait for it to boot for the first time. You are saying that like it takes a considerable amount of time to do, when the phone is doing most of the work by itself.

Flashing my RAZR V3 was a FAR more involved process (it involved taking the phone apart).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

20. Post #4100
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,847 Posts
    I don't see any personal benefit from rooting. It's barely going to affect me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

21. Post #4101
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,945 Posts
    I don't see any personal benefit from rooting. It's barely going to affect me.
    Rooting by itself is quite pointless (except for a couple absolutely amazing apps) but flashing a custom ROM is abaolutely Mandatory If you own an android device (Unless its a gnexus)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4102
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,011 Posts
    Rooting by itself is quite pointless (except for a couple absolutely amazing apps) but flashing a custom ROM is abaolutely Mandatory If you own an android device (Unless its a gnexus)
    Even then some devs add their own tweaks to ROMs that can be appealing like Cyanogen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #4103
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,151 Posts
    Soo..
    I'm using MIUI on my Inspire 4G now, seems to be the most stable/complete ICS-based ROM for the thing.
    Anyone got any recommendations for tweaks, apps, widgets, etc? Just out of curiosity, mainly..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

24. Post #4104
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,093 Posts
    I don't know if it is ICS or the ROM I'm using but it got way worse imo.
    Just got rid of things that I had working on gingerbread. Sure it looks nicer but it seems to have less functionality, I can't select to save pictures on my external SD or anything

Could somebody help me out with how to change from this current ROM to Cyanogen? What do I have to do etc?
    I don't want to brick my phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

25. Post #4105
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    I love how he says he doesn't have time to root due to school and work, yet he has almost triple the time to spend talking about it on Facepunch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #4106
    March 2008
    3,194 Posts
    It takes like 20 seconds with superoneclick. If you have the time to post here you have time to root. The best you can do without root is use something like LauncherPro or ADW Ex to 'hide' apps from the app drawer.

All you have to do is put enable USB debugging and click root.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4107
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,093 Posts
    I tried to boot into download mode and it said something about using other OS's and now it says its downloading something but my phone isn't plugged into the pc?
    Kies wont pick my phone up either and neither will Odin. Kies just says its connecting but wont do anything

28. Post #4108
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Yes, the reading does. The actual doing can be quite fast. If you have 1-3 hours of free time you can do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

29. Post #4109
    Theoretically, yes, but I've had my first Galaxy S2 sent for a warranty repair 4 times, each time I tried changing the code (I had no idea about android back then, I tried everything to make that defective one work), and nobody complained about that.

Even so, 99,9% changes that you make to the software of a Galaxy S2 can be reverted back into the state where even Samsung couldn't find out if you did anything.
    tl;dr warranty can be restored.

Plus, they usually only check if you installed a custom ROM or rooted the phone.
    That's great. Right now I'm going to wait a few days for the update. I'll let know in this thread if there will be problems with this.

30. Post #4110
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,179 Posts
    God miui is so pretty.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #4111
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,411 Posts
    That's great. Right now I'm going to wait a few days for the update. I'll let know in this thread if there will be problems with this.
    brotip: if you follow any guide, follow it step by step and read it at least twice before you do anything. Reading helps. A lot. Helps you understand what you are doing properly and obviously that lowers the chance of screwing up.

Edited:

God miui is so pretty.

Those black edges on the bottom, wtf? 2/10 design not perfect would not flash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #4112
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,792 Posts
    Actually Touchwiz is a lot prettier than I thought it would be.

But I probably wouldn't pick it over default ICS.

33. Post #4113
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    I tried to boot into download mode and it said something about using other OS's and now it says its downloading something but my phone isn't plugged into the pc?
    Kies wont pick my phone up either and neither will Odin. Kies just says its connecting but wont do anything
    God what are you doing, you're in download mode, it's not downloading anything yet, it's just saying that. And you're supposed to close any and all Kies processes..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #4114
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,411 Posts
    Actually Touchwiz is a lot prettier than I thought it would be.

But I probably wouldn't pick it over default ICS.
    TouchWiz 4 was only good on Android 2.3, Samsung ruined the look of ICS with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #4115
    drunk
    August 2007
    29,123 Posts
    God miui is so pretty.

miui is a good rom, but really, its a total rip-off from iOS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

36. Post #4116
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,952 Posts
    miui is a good rom, but really, its a total rip-off from iOS
    That's why it's good. Seriously, don't know what it is about Android users but they cannot into graphics design at all. MIUI is my favorite ROM because it combines the versatility of Android with all the great UI cues of iOS.

37. Post #4117
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,411 Posts
    That's why it's good. Seriously, don't know what it is about Android users but they cannot into graphics design at all. MIUI is my favorite ROM because it combines the versatility of Android with all the great UI cues of iOS.
    If you use MIUI and install apps from the market, doesn't that ruin the whole experience? Or is MIUI in any way forcing its theme on custom apps as well?
    I've never flashed MIUI so I have no idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

38. Post #4118
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,093 Posts
    God what are you doing, you're in download mode, it's not downloading anything yet, it's just saying that. And you're supposed to close any and all Kies processes..
    It didn't have any options, it said it was downloading and not to turn off target but the phone was frozen so I had to turn it off :S

39. Post #4119
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,593 Posts
    God miui is so pretty.

All that white UI on a SAMOLED screen = Double screen power draw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

40. Post #4120
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,641 Posts
    Has anybody experiences with either the Sony Xperia S or the HTC One S? I can get myself a new phone (byby my dear old Desire) and I'm right now looking at those two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events