1. Post #3561
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,410 Posts
    So I'm starting to see scratches on my screen protector, is that normal? How about with those higher end ones?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #3562
    March 2011
    193 Posts
    Screen Protectors are supposed to take the scratches. Although it wouldnt show up on the actual screen itself as the material is a lot softer. And since you get a cheap one the I wouldn't expect the greatest quality.

If you want to avoid minor scratches buy a zagg or invisishield or ghost armor. Sounds a bit sketchy but have never had any of those disappoint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3563
    I'll do whatever you want me to do babe ;)
    September 2011
    1,780 Posts
    AOKP or CM9

maaaan
    AOKP is the best rom I've ever used.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events

4. Post #3564
    February 2011
    4,523 Posts
    I'm not sure what the huge differences between CM9 and AOKP are.

Someone that could elaborate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3565
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    First, that's euros.
    Second, an S2 is actually cheaper than a Nexus S right now.

He hasn't really set a budget AFAIK but it doesn't need to be too fancy or shiny.
    Desire HD is an option if you don't mind shit battery life, Incredible S is better if you do mind it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

6. Post #3566
    March 2010
    72 Posts
    So I was just looking up prices and it struck me: why is EVO 3D cheaper than Sensation? They're the exact same phone, except for the 3D display and a bit more ram. Is it because the 3D is just a shitty gimick? Or does it have some kind of design fault?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Czech Republic Show Events

7. Post #3567
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    So I was just looking up prices and it struck me: why is EVO 3D cheaper than Sensation? They're the exact same phone, except for the 3D display and a bit more ram. Is it because the 3D is just a shitty gimick? Or does it have some kind of design fault?
    Thick and I believe it doesn't have S-OFF yet, there is a new exploit but it hasn't been released yet.

Edited:

So I'm starting to see scratches on my screen protector, is that normal? How about with those higher end ones?
    Unavoidable. With the wet-apply ones it's much harder to scratch, but they will get scratched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

8. Post #3568
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,938 Posts

AOKP is much much much much more customizable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #3569
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,258 Posts
    So I got ICS on my Skyrocket, and I thought it would be so much better. All it changed was it looking nicer and its a bigger drain on my battery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #3570
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    So I got ICS on my Skyrocket, and I thought it would be so much better. All it changed was it looking nicer and its a bigger drain on my battery.
    Make sure there aren't bugs in kernels/ROM. If you're in an LTE area, it's unavoidable.

11. Post #3571
    I'll do whatever you want me to do babe ;)
    September 2011
    1,780 Posts

There are a lot more features on aokp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events

12. Post #3572
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,408 Posts

As some other already said, AOKP is ideal when you want to customize EVERYTHING.

CM9 is more of a stock Android experience, but with some extras here and there.

Edited:

PyroCF: Are you seeing any issues with video recording on the One X? Seems like the recorded video is pretty laggy and just generally shit.

Two videos from a czech phone website:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK04oeOAR6c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkOX2plc5Sc

If I compare that to anything my Galaxy S2 ever recorded, the HTC One X seems like a home made FullHD camera.

Edited:

And apparently even when you clear the started applications in HTC's Task Manager, Sense is still taking up about 630MB of RAM. Ouch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

13. Post #3573
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,198 Posts
    Nope. No issues with recording or any of the camera functions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #3574
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,951 Posts
    I've reverted back to a GB ROM on my Atrix because of all the issues with the Camera associated with ICS ROMs. Plus the browser FCs when you rotate the phone.

Man, I'm actually looking for full usability in a ROM, rather than the cutting edge. Next thing I know I'll be buying an iPhone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #3575
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,408 Posts
    Unless it's your secondary device or something you don't NEED daily (like a tablet maybe), I think it's perfectly reasonable to look for full usability in a phone.

Luckily CM9 offers that for the Galaxy S2. Fuck yeah

16. Post #3576
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    659 Posts
    Just picked up my galaxy nexus. Its beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

17. Post #3577
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    So my home and search buttons refuse to work - I piss home and my phone freezes, I get my PIN screen for 0.62 seconds and then back to whatever app I was just in. Search button does nothing.

In addition, my lock screen isn't appearing when I press the power button to wake the phone up.

How do I fix all this without data loss? I can't do a factory reset and I have no room for backups.

Galaxy S2 rooted on 2.3.6 (not custom)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

18. Post #3578
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,398 Posts
    So my home and search buttons refuse to work - I piss home and my phone freezes, I get my PIN screen for 0.62 seconds and then back to whatever app I was just in. Search button does nothing. In addition, my lock screen isn't appearing when I press the power button to wake the phone up. How do I fix all this without data loss? I can't do a factory reset and I have no room for backups. Galaxy S2 rooted on 2.3.6 (not custom)
    One thing you could try is flashing the same ROM you had on top, it won't remove your data. If that doesn't work, you should just reflash.
    Do you have CWM recovery?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

19. Post #3579
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,508 Posts
    One thing you could try is flashing the same ROM you had on top, it won't remove your data. If that doesn't work, you should just reflash.
    Do you have CWM recovery?
    I got 2.3.6 through OTA updates so no to all of those.

Also I feel stupid - it was that "No Lock" program I installed to get GO Locker to work. Wound up being useless until just now

this is why you uninstall things when you aren't using them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #3580
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,408 Posts
    CM9 SGS news: New build is being compiled as I post this, flashing the GPS fix after this build should not be needed, as very similar changes have been made in the ROM itself.
    Details'n'stuff: http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=galaxys2

21. Post #3581
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    As some other already said, AOKP is ideal when you want to customize EVERYTHING.

CM9 is more of a stock Android experience, but with some extras here and there.

Edited:

PyroCF: Are you seeing any issues with video recording on the One X? Seems like the recorded video is pretty laggy and just generally shit.

Two videos from a czech phone website:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK04oeOAR6c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkOX2plc5Sc

If I compare that to anything my Galaxy S2 ever recorded, the HTC One X seems like a home made FullHD camera.

Edited:

And apparently even when you clear the started applications in HTC's Task Manager, Sense is still taking up about 630MB of RAM. Ouch.
    HTC's task manager is funky, and I honestly wouldn't trust it to be particularly accurate because it doesn't kill a lot of things that start up once you actually start running the phone, it'd be more accurate to take a reading of a stock ROM with no extra applications when the phone starts up. Sense 3.0 on Android 2.3.5 takes up around 400MB of RAM, the rest is usually taken up by filesystem cache and applications cached to memory.

HTC's camera/camcorder settings are atrocious out of the box, they use incredibly aggressive sharpening and noise reduction algorithms. To really get a feel for the best that a camera on HTC phones can deliver, it's advised to set sharpness to -2. Recording in low light conditions you will want to set the exposure to -2 and use LED brightness to keep higher FPS.

This is just my experience though, it may be that the One X needs better camera firmware in order to get the best out of it's sensor. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come out with a modification that permits much higher bitrate video and uncompressed images, or possibly raw image and video data being pulled from the image chip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #3582
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,408 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come out with a modification that permits much higher bitrate video and uncompressed images, or possibly raw image and video data being pulled from the image chip.
    Well someone already boosted the battery life by 10-20% by finding some power management file (NvCPLSvc.apk) that HTC placed in the wrong folder. so if you put it in the right one, bam, more battery life.
    Maybe the camera has a similar problem?

But thanks for the info!

23. Post #3583
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,807 Posts
    With GPS on my Inspire 4G (Desire HD) on AT&T, is it an extra cost? It's always enabled when I flash to a new rom. When you buy a GPS for a car you don't pay GPS bill either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

24. Post #3584
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,084 Posts
    So I finally rooted my phone. What do you guys recommend I do now? My network hasn't upgraded to ICS yet so should I upgrade to that? I heard you can do that?
    Basically I have no idea what I should do now that I'm rooted. It's a S2 by the way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

25. Post #3585
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,807 Posts
    So I finally rooted my phone. What do you guys recommend I do now? My network hasn't upgraded to ICS yet so should I upgrade to that? I heard you can do that?
    Basically I have no idea what I should do now that I'm rooted. It's a S2 by the way
    I don't have a S2 but given how tons of android users have a hard on for it there is probably an ICS rom you can flash to.

26. Post #3586
    drunk
    August 2007
    29,097 Posts
    ye, go ahead flashing to ICS, it owns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

27. Post #3587
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,084 Posts
    Yeah I'm basically just trying to find out what the best ROM is, so I'll see what a few people here say

Edited:

ye, go ahead flashing to ICS, it owns

Is there different versions of it? Like do people take ICS and build upon it or what? Not too sure on what way it works. I'm on 2.3.5 also.

28. Post #3588
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,408 Posts
    Yep, there are devs that take Android source code and build from that. The most popular would be the CyanogenMod team.

Then there's people that modify the already modified source code released directly by phone manufacturers, like Samsung.

Basically, you can choose between both stock Android and Samsung Android based ROMs right now.

Feature wise, stock android ICS based ROMs are nearly perfectly working right now.

Or you can flash Samsung ICS, but will barely notice a difference from your current Gingerbread ROM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

29. Post #3589
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,302 Posts
    Yeah I'm basically just trying to find out what the best ROM is, so I'll see what a few people here say

Edited:

Is there different versions of it? Like do people take ICS and build upon it or what? Not too sure on what way it works. I'm on 2.3.5 also.
    'best ROM' depends on your preferences, but if you want something as close to vanilla ICS as possible, go with CyanogenMod (aka. CM9, you'll have to get used to abbreviations)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

30. Post #3590
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,084 Posts
    So I should wait until the stock android ICS is perfectly working and get that?

31. Post #3591
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,640 Posts
    Touchscreen is periodically not working on my Nexus S 4G on the official ICS update. I can't figure out why. Google keeps showing me results for other phones :\
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #3592
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,198 Posts

I could keep this going for ages. That 5th core is impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #3593
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,398 Posts
    Show us the usage section
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #3594
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    With GPS on my Inspire 4G (Desire HD) on AT&T, is it an extra cost? It's always enabled when I flash to a new rom. When you buy a GPS for a car you don't pay GPS bill either.
    No, the GPS on it's own will be absolutely free. Assistance to speed up GPS lock times will require usage of data networks, and any paid GPS navigation apps will likely require money to use on a subscription basis.

tl;dr if you use google navigation and have a data plan you'll be fine.

Edited:

Show us the usage section
    No, show us the screen-on time.

Edited:

You can. If your S2 has a physical home button you should be able to get your hands on a flawless Touchwiz based ROM, and probably a solid AOKP ROM too.

35. Post #3595
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts

Somehow this doesn't look very good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #3596
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts

Somehow this doesn't look very good
    Nah, no Android OS drain at all.

37. Post #3597
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,084 Posts
    There are S2s without physical home buttons!?
    Jesus so confusing to me ha ha any links to this shit?

38. Post #3598
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    Some carrier-specific versions of the S2 don't have physical home buttons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

39. Post #3599
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #3600
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,807 Posts
    No, the GPS on it's own will be absolutely free. Assistance to speed up GPS lock times will require usage of data networks, and any paid GPS navigation apps will likely require money to use on a subscription basis.

tl;dr if you use google navigation and have a data plan you'll be fine.

Edited:

No, show us the screen-on time.

Edited:

You can. If your S2 has a physical home button you should be able to get your hands on a flawless Touchwiz based ROM, and probably a solid AOKP ROM too.
    I use mobile network and it's pretty innacurate. I have a 200mb cap.