1. Post #361
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,872 Posts
    For a second I thought you meant physically, just like, fondle her or something.
    thats sorta true too
    like the other day i was having a really plain conversation with this girl, but she put her hand on my leg at one point, and then i put my hand on her shoulder, and touched her hands
    it makes an average conversation into something more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    December 2009
    7,258 Posts
    For a second I thought you meant physically, just like, fondle her or something.
    Well, I guess I meant it both ways. Touch her in the arm, on the hand, or something like that during conversation. A female friend of me does that to me occasionally. She's very charismatic, and could probably persuade anyone. I refer to her actions to help me with social skills, and I would say it would work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #363
    July 2007
    1,800 Posts
    I saw this shared on facebook, and was trying to find somewhere to rage about it.

As I said before, I'm not an expert on relationships, but most of my life as a male has been around females. My two closest friends until age 10-11 were girls, 40%-50% of my friends currently are girls, and I go to a D&D group thing every other week where 4 out of 7 are female. I tend to be emotionally more feminine than males, and understand the female side of sociality than male.

Here's how the friend zone works. Males are friends with females, and to females, are good friends. This works out all fine and dandy, until a male expresses interest in a female. When this happens with nerds, it's usually being a "nice guy", observing this woman from a distance, and 90% of the time, this male will start looking her up on facebook, fantasizing about her, being nice to her, but never actually ask her out.

Meanwhile, females are a lot more emotional. They worry about friendships vs. relationships, and usually don't like said male. If she would, and she liked him enough, she would flirt and "hit on" him enough for him to notice her romantically.

Besides, most people on the internet are socially inept. I'm not going to lie, I used to be. Of course, Facepunch is a bit more hip and social than places like 4chan's sad, lonely board of /r9k/, but for the most part, are still awkward. They are never confident or really do anything outside of being nice. That's what happened to most of the people sharing that graph: They were too cowardly to actually express romantic interest in her besides being nice to her and eventually awkwardly asking her out.

I would suggest, if you wanted to express your like for this female, to touch her. When you talk, touch her somehow. Be charismatic. Have a social life outside of her or her friends. Have female friends besides her. Flirt with other girls. Also, whatever you do, don't ever go up to her with flowers or directly "ask her out". All friends I know failed or were politely rejected or friend zoned when they did this. All relationships I know of were either friendships growing into something more from a fun night out, two people who were "meant to be" (I can't explain it, but I know one or two friends who just met someone and clung to each other like glue), or a female expressing interest in a male.

After this, I have no idea. All the gibberish I wrote above is just my high school observations with female and male friends alike, and various stories from them. Anything in collage or above could work with anything I said, or couldn't.
    Yeah, this is the most important thing in all this relationship madness. 5* post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #364
    Huge Faggot #2
    November 2007
    5,149 Posts
    Asking this girl to prom tomorrow if I finish all my errands. I've got to make up a PE class (forgot my sweats, and if you have any missing you fail high school). Also, my student council advisor is probably going to chew us out because the lower classes haven't been pulling their weight, bit if I get through all that I'm gonna head down to her study hall, chat her up like always and pop the question. Wish me luck/testicular fortitude!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #365
    I wish you testicular fortitude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    March 2010
    793 Posts
    I wish you luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    July 2008
    490 Posts
    Why do I always need to pull out a god damned dictionary everything Seith posts a rant ?

Also going to a Valentines Day Dance :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,700 Posts
    Asking this girl to prom tomorrow if I finish all my errands. I've got to make up a PE class (forgot my sweats, and if you have any missing you fail high school). Also, my student council advisor is probably going to chew us out because the lower classes haven't been pulling their weight, bit if I get through all that I'm gonna head down to her study hall, chat her up like always and pop the question. Wish me luck/testicular fortitude!
    I wish you luck. I have to ask a girl to prom soon too.. I'm gonna be in need of some extra testicular fortitude as I'll be asking in front of the school and doing something a little cheesy.. whether it's worth it or not we'll see I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,861 Posts
    I wish you luck. I have to ask a girl to prom soon too.. I'm gonna be in need of some extra testicular fortitude as I'll be asking in front of the school and doing something a little cheesy.. whether it's worth it or not we'll see I guess.
    I am worried.

Edited:

But power to you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,700 Posts
    I am worried.

Edited:

But power to you!
    It's a bit much, but this is kind of what she wants, so I'll go through with it if it makes her happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

11. Post #371
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    24,005 Posts
    Man I wish my prom was cooler than it was.

Enjoy yours!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #372
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    our formal was shit.
    i just sat outside, had a smoke, and broke things.
    we also performed some music involving loud noises and screaming.

13. Post #373
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    24,005 Posts
    Everyone was wasted at ours and my boyfriend at the time wouldn't really let me go do anything, so I kind of just stayed attached to his hip while he danced with an old friend of his.

It was... eh

The dinner before was more fun than the dance itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    my boyfriend at the time wouldn't really let me go do anything, so I kind of just stayed attached to his hip while he danced with an old friend of his.
    yuck

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    thats sorta true too
    like the other day i was having a really plain conversation with this girl, but she put her hand on my leg at one point, and then i put my hand on her shoulder, and touched her hands
    it makes an average conversation into something more
    I agree with this. Touching a girl in a non invasive and not too awkward way makes you seem a tonne more confident and comfortable together. Simple things like holding her hand as you go through a dense crowd for a second can change the dynamics of a friendship significantly.

Edited:

My formals were okay. I think the highlight was the bad egg History/Politics teacher getting students to do shots of vodka and tequila in a laneway outside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #376
    Dennab
    January 2012
    609 Posts
    Proms are supposed to suck.

You're supposed to go expecting it to be like the movies only to be shot down, that's just the way things are.

17. Post #377
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,813 Posts
    I knew that about prom and never went.

Besides tickets were like $99 and my parents aren't rich like all these other suburban peeps.

Homecoming warded me off to because I love being social but dances were NEVER my thing. I hated everything about them. The music, the way people acted. I love college. I can be my smart, normal self and still have friends without having to worry about not having swag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

18. Post #378
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Also, Breen, I don't like your attitude. At least in that one post it is fairly obnoxious. It feels as though you are trying to be superior.
    And the assumptions. Horrible. High school really doesn't matter, irrelevant of your "social position." Ultimately it is only what you make it, but there is/was no reason for me to make anything of it.
    you just told me to jump off a cliff, and you don't like my attitude? It did matter for me because i'm making good money out of all the acquaintances, so just stop derailing the thread for gods sake

Edited:

now i'm derailing the thread, i apologize
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,598 Posts
    This is what happens when someone that struggles to fit in on an online forum makes a thread dedicated to social and relationship advice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,974 Posts
    I love people complaining about the friend zone.
    I liked a friend of mine, I asked her out, she agreed and told me she liked me too. We went on a couple of dates, which were great. Then she suddenly decided us going out was a bad idea and wanted to go straight back to being friends, even admitting she still liked me, she just didn't want to 'ruin' the friendship.

That my friends, is the friend zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    I can already tell that I'm probably an extremely weak person and an example of everything that is wrong with humanity, so I think I'll just avoid even attempting any kind of relationship with anyone forever.

I think it sounds like a good plan, anyways. Why try if your chances are a solid 0%?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    I can already tell that I'm probably an extremely weak person and an example of everything that is wrong with humanity, so I think I'll just avoid even attempting any kind of relationship with anyone forever.

I think it sounds like a good plan, anyways. Why try if your chances are a solid 0%?
    Tell us what happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,400 Posts

Just saying that proves you are beyond hope. How the shit are we supposed to fear someone who doesn't think they could at least have a hope to get a girl. Your name is a lie!

24. Post #384
    June 2010
    3,621 Posts

Have you even tried? There's no point in giving up until you've tried you know.

25. Post #385

holy shit people

I'm far from perfect. I may pussy out on something once in a while but jesus christ. Do we need to fly BDA out to you and have you touch his beard to give you a fragment of its manly power? Listen to some manly music or something.

Literally the only thing stopping you from being a badass is that you think you can't.

Edited:

Your homework:

-Drink a manly beverage. (extra points if it's Talisker 30)
    -Eat a manly meal.
    -Listen to a manly song. Preferably a whole manly album.
    -Watch a samurai movie.
    -Update something of your personal appearance in a manly way.
    -Mediate on life and death.

Edited:

Oh wait, you're 15. Firstly, that explains a lot. Secondly, no extra points for Talisker 30. In fact, minus points. You're too young. It would be a waste.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #386
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts

we can help with that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    January 2010
    232 Posts
    Telling a girl about how sexy Kanye West is is definitely a good idea. Definitely.

Edited:

Actually it worked! Yeah!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #388
    December 2009
    7,258 Posts
    I told you my story in the past two pages, and I have one last question before the date this Friday.

I was thinking about going to a restaurant or casual cafe before the move (A 7:10 showing of "The Woman in Black", a horror movie). Nothing too fancy, but I wasn't sure if a coffee shop would be a bad idea, just for grabbing a quick bite before seeing the movie. Or should we go to a restaurant?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

29. Post #389
    July 2008
    490 Posts
    Coffee Shop so you dont fuck up and miss the movie some how
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #390
    June 2010
    3,621 Posts
    I like the coffee shop idea better. It's a much more relaxed environment imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #391
    A man chooses, a slave obeys.
    August 2011
    2,167 Posts
    This is a bit difficult to explain but..

I don't know if any of you guys remember me posting in the previous thread late last year (I don't think you would have to go that far back in my post history to have a look) about that Friend I hadn't seen for i while I ultimately failed to get, well things have changed in the last week.

I go to this Games Club at College and recently this girl signed up to it and I admit it maybe a bit too early to tell but I think there maybe an oppurtunity for something more. The only problem I'm having is that some people in the club have started to notice that were i'm spending quite a bit of time talking to her and have started asking me in front of her if i will ask her out. I usually reply with a rude hand gesture but I ultimately have no idea how to respond, I obviously don't want to admit I like her and I feel if i keep silent it'll add fuel to the flames, also if just say no I don't think they will keep asking anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #392
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    okay so i'll make this one quick. this friend of mine is dating the girl i like, and i know they're in a rough patch right now.

so, just today said friend and i were chatting on fb, when suddenly he brought up going to the movies with a girl he used to like, and how it's pissing his girlfriend off. now he's turning to me to help him out. i told him i'm not going to run his relationship for him - but he's persistent.
    i'm not an asshole, so i don't want to ruin his shit, but at the same time i like his girl and kind of wish she were single.

while this is going on, his girlfriend + the other girl keep asking me to chill with them - a lot. i really don't know what to make of it. probably a friendzone type thing.

hard times and tough decisions in the frozen wastes of canada
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,104 Posts
    okay so i'll make this one quick
    this friend of mine is dating the girl i like and i know they're in a rough patch right now. so just today said friend and i were chatting on fb, when suddenly he brought up going to the movies with a girl he used to like, and how it's pissing his girl off. now he's turning to me to help him out.
    i'm not an asshole, so i don't want to ruin his shit, but at the same time i like this girl and kind of wish she were single.

hard times and tough decisions
    how does he hope that you will "help him out" exactly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #394
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    how does he hope that you will "help him out" exactly?
    pretty much by talking to his girl for him.
    i'm not his bitch, so i told him i wouldn't do it, but like i said, the guy's persistent

35. Post #395
    December 2009
    7,258 Posts
    I think I'll roll with that idea. One of my friends has a date tonight, and she's being taken out to a coffee shop too.

That said, would a starbucks be tacky or two chain-y? Or something a bit more "original" or "home-y"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

36. Post #396
    June 2010
    3,621 Posts
    This is a bit difficult to explain but..

I don't know if any of you guys remember me posting in the previous thread late last year (I don't think you would have to go that far back in my post history to have a look) about that Friend I hadn't seen for i while I ultimately failed to get, well things have changed in the last week.

I go to this Games Club at College and recently this girl signed up to it and I admit it maybe a bit too early to tell but I think there maybe an oppurtunity for something more. The only problem I'm having is that some people in the club have started to notice that were i'm spending quite a bit of time talking to her and have started asking me in front of her if i will ask her out. I usually reply with a rude hand gesture but I ultimately have no idea how to respond, I obviously don't want to admit I like her and I feel if i keep silent it'll add fuel to the flames, also if just say no I don't think they will keep asking anyway.
    Ask her out. You sorta wanna do that since they're going to, just like you said, add more fuel to the flames if you delay doing so.

37. Post #397
    January 2010
    2,593 Posts
    Asking another guy to solve problems in your relationship sounds retarded lol.

38. Post #398
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    Asking another guy to solve problems in your relationship sounds retarded lol.
    haha it is, i don't think he understands that though

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,104 Posts
    pretty much by talking to his girl for him.
    i'm not his bitch, so i told him i wouldn't do it, but like i said, the guy's persistent
    that's kind of bizarre. I think you did the right thing, it's not your problem and you definitely shouldn't get mired in it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #400
    July 2007
    1,800 Posts
    There's a girl who just seems to be interested in me. When we are in the bus heading to school she sits as close as she can to come. Like, in the back, front, left or right seats close to me. I can't really tell if she's really interested in me, it seems likely, though.

I don't know what I should do about this. Going to her and starting a conversation seems like the best thing to do, but, I don't know for sure if it's a good idea. Or, if I should try something else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events