1. Post #2721
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,420 Posts
    Or you know, you could've bought her the ticket and just get on with it.
    the guy wouldn't of let me, he was kind of a dick. Sort of would of been obvious.
    He even straight up said if we wanted another ticket he needed to see an ID from her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2722
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,281 Posts
    the guy wouldn't of let me, he was kind of a dick. Sort of would of been obvious.
    He even straight up said if we wanted another ticket he needed to see an ID from her.
    Alright, yeah, if the guy needs two ids when you buy two tickets, he's certainly a dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #2723
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,339 Posts
    Guys, I have a friend who I've been friends with since grade 5 and we have been in every class together for all schooling since then. We originally met because we had the same interest in some video game and talked about it a lot. We grew up kind of in our own little bubble and didn't really meet new people and especially didn't talk to girls since we always hung out and always had video games to talk about. We were kind of nerdy and socially awkward, but it was fine for a while. Then high school came around and I started maturing and video games were becoming less of an interest, and while I was still a huge geek with computers, programming and video games in my privacy, I started wearing more stylish clothes and being more aware about my image in public.

High school ends, I've never had a girlfriend and I'm very socially awkward, and it's time for University.

I go through my first year of University and funny enough, me and my friend are in almost all of the same classes. At this point I have almost no interest in video games (Except League of Legends), but my friend still has an obsession with video games and is literally the only thing he talks about. I talk about the weather, he changes the subject to video games--you get the point. At this point, my fashion has changed greatly from high school as I've matured and trying to pick up some ladies, but every time I sit next to a girl my friend sits down at talks about World of Warcraft or something and destroys any chances of the girl talking to me.

So, I'm in university with NO experience with girls and a friend who bores me with his conversations and repels girls. I can't just avoid him or ignore him because we've been friends for so long, and I'm bad at making other friends so he's really all I have.

I'm not trying to put all the blame on him. I am definitely socially awkward and bad at making my own friends In fact a lot of the problem is with me, but its hard to break out of my bubble with him around.

Anyway, right now I just really want a girlfriend or another friend that I can hang out with, but I have no experience with girls and I've dug myself a really deep hole I need to get out of.

How can I break out of this bubble and get my social life rolling? This is probably the last year I will be with my friend, should I just go with the flow next year, or should I actively try to get out of my bubble? I think once your socially awkward, its impossible to escape it :(

If anyone took the time to read the whole thing, its much appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #2724
    Find some parties.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2725
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,338 Posts
    We're both under the age of 18 and you have to have an adult/parent with you to see R movies i think.
    America is so bizarre..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2726
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    Guys, I have a friend who I've been friends with since grade 5 and we have been in every class together for all schooling since then. We originally met because we had the same interest in some video game and talked about it a lot. We grew up kind of in our own little bubble and didn't really meet new people and especially didn't talk to girls since we always hung out and always had video games to talk about. We were kind of nerdy and socially awkward, but it was fine for a while. Then high school came around and I started maturing and video games were becoming less of an interest, and while I was still a huge geek with computers, programming and video games in my privacy, I started wearing more stylish clothes and being more aware about my image in public.

High school ends, I've never had a girlfriend and I'm very socially awkward, and it's time for University.

I go through my first year of University and funny enough, me and my friend are in almost all of the same classes. At this point I have almost no interest in video games (Except League of Legends), but my friend still has an obsession with video games and is literally the only thing he talks about. I talk about the weather, he changes the subject to video games--you get the point. At this point, my fashion has changed greatly from high school as I've matured and trying to pick up some ladies, but every time I sit next to a girl my friend sits down at talks about World of Warcraft or something and destroys any chances of the girl talking to me.

So, I'm in university with NO experience with girls and a friend who bores me with his conversations and repels girls. I can't just avoid him or ignore him because we've been friends for so long, and I'm bad at making other friends so he's really all I have.

I'm not trying to put all the blame on him. I am definitely socially awkward and bad at making my own friends In fact a lot of the problem is with me, but its hard to break out of my bubble with him around.

Anyway, right now I just really want a girlfriend or another friend that I can hang out with, but I have no experience with girls and I've dug myself a really deep hole I need to get out of.

How can I break out of this bubble and get my social life rolling? This is probably the last year I will be with my friend, should I just go with the flow next year, or should I actively try to get out of my bubble? I think once your socially awkward, its impossible to escape it :(

I feel for your situation. The best thing you can do for your friend and yourself is to be assertive with him. You "need" to speak up and tell him that what he is doing is getting on your nerves and infringing on your life. Obviously be more descriptive with your feelings, but make sure he knows that what he is doing is impacting you in a negative way. Don't be cruel, don't be harsh, just make sure he knows.

Also, for another conversation in the future with your friend you should probably talk to him about the video game thing. It could be extremely beneficial to him and you may learn something new about him that he wouldn't reveal otherwise.

Also, it is entirely possible to escape from social awkwardness. Almost every single one of my posts in social threads is that you can learn to be social. I overcame social anxiety (aka fear being with people) and was completely socially inept going into my senior year of high school. You can overcome your awkwardness and you can learn how to be a better socializer. It just takes persistence and consistent exposure to situations that are a little bit outside of your comfort zone. Just for reference, watch some of the SimplePickUp guy's bios. They were extremely reclusive or had no idea what the fuck they were doing. Just remember you can always learn how to improve yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #2727
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,451 Posts
    I'd say join some clubs and extracurricular activities that you're interested in, that way it'll be easier to meet new people since you'll have a common interest to talk about. Also for next school year, you could try talking to the people (guy or girl) who sit down next to you, especially if you have large lecture classes. That way if you don't hit it off you probably won't see them, and if you do, you'll have an acquaintance to talk to about the class and classwork/potential friend. In one of my classes the professor asked us to talk to the person sitting on either side of us. One of the guys I barely ended up knowing and he also didn't show up to future classes often, the other guy became a good friend.

8. Post #2728
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    Terribly bittersweet situation. Just recently started talking to this girl in my philo class at my university. She's interested and I'm interested and she's the most physically and socially attractive girl I've ever really spoken to. However, I'm moving like two hours away to a different university next year and she's afraid to get into a relationship with someone who's not gonna be in town. I'll probably come back down on weekends and holidays, but it just really sucks.

I'm super excited to be moving away from home and living in an apartment with a friend of mine and two other guys, but at the same time I really wish I could have had a chance with this girl.

I've still decided to ask this girl on a date and I'm gonna try to hang out with her regularly. If nothing else I want to be close friends, she'd be a really cool friend if nothing else.

/bittersweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

9. Post #2729
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,339 Posts
    I feel for your situation. The best thing you can do for your friend and yourself is to be assertive with him. You "need" to speak up and tell him that what he is doing is getting on your nerves and infringing on your life. Obviously be more descriptive with your feelings, but make sure he knows that what he is doing is impacting you in a negative way. Don't be cruel, don't be harsh, just make sure he knows.

Also, for another conversation in the future with your friend you should probably talk to him about the video game thing. It could be extremely beneficial to him and you may learn something new about him that he wouldn't reveal otherwise.

Also, it is entirely possible to escape from social awkwardness. Almost every single one of my posts in social threads is that you can learn to be social. I overcame social anxiety (aka fear being with people) and was completely socially inept going into my senior year of high school. You can overcome your awkwardness and you can learn how to be a better socializer. It just takes persistence and consistent exposure to situations that are a little bit outside of your comfort zone. Just for reference, watch some of the SimplePickUp guy's bios. They were extremely reclusive or had no idea what the fuck they were doing. Just remember you can always learn how to improve yourself.
    Haha The SimplePickUp guys are funny. They mentioned something about how important eye contact is and I realized I can never hold eye contact for more than one or two seconds at a time :p

Thanks for the advice, I need to immerse myself in some difficult situations more often. My awkwardness has definitely improved since I started my job which requires interaction with customers, but I'm still far from a smooth communicator.

I have a condition called cholinergic urticaria (heat hives) which means I get a massive allergic reaction when my core body temperature increases. Doing things like laughing, blushing, little physical activity or getting embarrassed cause my body temperature to sky rocket and I'm suddenly covered in hives. Because of this I avoid social interaction to avoid people questioning "why is your face so red? Why do you have dots all over you?", etc. When these allergic reactions are less severe, I find that I am magnitudes less shy than I otherwise would be.

@Juice_Layer
    Good luck. Just keep trying. I think once you get into a relationship and you regularly hang out, she wont mind that you live at a longer distance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #2730
    January 2010
    3,550 Posts
    haha well yeah, obviously go see a movie you'll both enjoy for a first date
    i ended up seeing Iron Lady for a "first date" movie.

wouldn't recommend it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #2731
    October 2007
    701 Posts
    I'm not here to brag, but my girlfriend said she was invited to enter the National American Miss pageant a few weeks ago, but declined, and having heard that made me almost feel upset and I'm not sure why (she was also invited to do modeling and shit last year but also declined). I have a feeling that it's because it makes me feel like I'm not good enough for her or maybe I'm just being subconsciously envious of her success. Has anyone ever felt anything similar and have any advice on how to deal with these feelings?

12. Post #2732
    Spirit Guide
    March 2009
    17,277 Posts
    Well, CWSG is a bust. Turns out she had a boyfriend the whole time, and just didn't know how to say "no thanks."

I'll still talk to her in class, 'cause she's a pretty groovy girl (despite her ridiculous lack of confidence), but it'd have definitely been nice if she'd just been straight with me from the get-go!

I've got no other prospects, so I guess I'm right back at square zero on the surprisingly hard search for a nice, intelligent, attractive lady who likes tall skinny blond guys with nice hair and teeth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16 (list)

13. Post #2733
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,420 Posts
    Well, CWSG is a bust. Turns out she had a boyfriend the whole time, and just didn't know how to say "no thanks."

I'll still talk to her in class, 'cause she's a pretty groovy girl (despite her ridiculous lack of confidence), but it'd have definitely been nice if she'd just been straight with me from the get-go!

I've got no other prospects, so I guess I'm right back at square zero on the surprisingly hard search for a nice, intelligent, attractive lady who likes tall skinny blond guys with nice hair and teeth.
    Kind of messed up on her part, going out on a "date" with you without telling you. Maybe that's just my perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #2734
    I think that was why she was pressing so about "Why are you talking to me?"
    I think she wanted motive, not just details.

15. Post #2735
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,191 Posts
    Kind of messed up on her part, going out on a "date" with you without telling you. Maybe that's just my perspective.
    On one hand, she could be unsatisfied with her current boyfriend and was considering BDA, but on the other hand, she kind of seems like a tool for doing what she did.

16. Post #2736
    Spirit Guide
    March 2009
    17,277 Posts
    On one hand, she could be unsatisfied with her current boyfriend and was considering BDA, but on the other hand, she kind of seems like a tool for doing what she did.
    I don't think it was either, honestly. I think she was just so worried about hurting my feelings that she agreed to go on the date and hoped that I wouldn't ask for a second one. But, I had to go and ruin it all by finding her interesting and relateable and asking for a second date!

I'll keep talking to her, if I can. I'm really not all that choked up about her confession. I'd still genuinely like to be her friend! She's easy to talk to, and is a pretty darn good listener. She's the kind of person I'd like to have around, you dig? If she's open to it, I'm totally hip with platonic.

Edited:

I'm not a very spiteful guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

17. Post #2737
    June 2011
    325 Posts
    Here's something that's been on my mind lately. How much of a role would braces play in starting a relationship? I'm 17 and am set to have braces on until next winter (which really kinda sucks). I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to get a girl with them on, or if I should wait until they come off to start looking again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #2738
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,191 Posts
    Here's something that's been on my mind lately. How much of a role would braces play in starting a relationship? I'm 17 and am set to have braces on until next winter (which really kinda sucks). I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to get a girl with them on, or if I should wait until they come off to start looking again.
    I had braces up until a few weeks ago, I've had them for the better part of 2 years. I'd say to just go for it, if your braces are the only reason a person dislikes you then they aren't worth it anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #2739
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,093 Posts
    Yeah so I think it's about time I got a few more friends, be less shy, maybe get a girlfriend if I'm that successful, that sort of thing.

Long story short, since mid-January I'd been writing to a daily blog about how my day went, my feelings, etc. as a virtual diary kind of thing. Closed it two weeks ago, because all it did was waste time and make me analyze every little detail which led to mental inflation. It wasn't a good feeling.

I have about 5-15 acquaintances (talked once or twice, maybe in a class with them) and about three or four of them I'd consider actual friends (talk frequently, hang out together, etc). One of the friends is far more social than I am, and actually gets invited to parties. I've been to two parties this entire school year, both of which due to coincidentally texting him while he was shitfaced and managing to coax the address out of him.

Normally I'd take the standard 'join a club' 'go to parties' 'talk to people in classes' advice, but the problem is that tomorrow (technically today, as of this post) is the last day of lectures, and then three weeks until exams, and then summer for four months. I don't want to go another summer sitting in my basement coding gmod gamemodes all day on a beard-growing spree, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to what I should do. There has to be at least something that I can do.

I actually joined my uni's DJ club (I DJ as a hobby (see my soundcloud link on the left)), but I have received zero info from them - no emails, no phone number to call, so I'm pretty sure the club's dead. There aren't many clubs that are applicable to me, other than the atheist society, but honestly I don't want to be friends with people that are members of the atheist society. Besides, last day of school is tomorrow.

Like I said I only know the one guy who can get me into parties and he's not really apt to invite me. This is the end of my first year of uni and I'm an astrophysics major, so people in my classes are mostly socially inept. That's not to say I'm that much better, but at least I'm trying, right? I've actually had a couple small-talk conversations with some classmates - assignments, grades, events - but they don't really go anywhere.

Any tips?

20. Post #2740
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,598 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #2741
    August 2005
    3,048 Posts
    Braces are hardly a big deal if you don't make them a big deal, it will suck at first but you will quickly get used to having them on, I barely notice the fact that I have them now (Had them for over a year)

As said above if people reject you for having them then they aren't the sort that you will want to be around anyways, and there is no reason for you to stop pursuing relationships because of them.

22. Post #2742
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,598 Posts
    Tell your friend/s your thoughts on your situation and that you'd like to start being more social and outgoing. If he's an actual friend he'll be more than happy to take you along. Hell, even offer to DJ at some of the school house parties, that'd be a great way to throw yourself out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #2743
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    @Juice_Layer
    Good luck. Just keep trying. I think once you get into a relationship and you regularly hang out, she wont mind that you live at a longer distance.
    I'm gonna ask her to lunch, probably this Friday, assuming she has class. Then if that goes down, make plans to go to St. Augustine, FL (like 30 minutes from the house) and I'll buy her dinner. Thank god I've been single long enough to save up enough money to treat a lady right.

24. Post #2744
    I BANG 14 YEAR OLD GIRLS BUT ITS OKAY I ADMIT I HAVE PROBLEMS
    March 2012
    666 Posts
    So tonight I realized I might be bisexual. Its all very confusing and it sounds dumb as fuck but I honestly don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #2745
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,281 Posts
    So tonight I realized I might be bisexual. Its all very confusing and it sounds dumb as fuck but I honestly don't know.
    Nothing bad about that. Simply means that you have a bigger pool of people to choose from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #2746
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,598 Posts
    At least your chances are doubled of meeting and liking someone that isn't young enough to be your daughter!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)

27. Post #2747
    December 2009
    5,097 Posts
    Aaand there, she left me with a text message.
    Fuck it ill live alone. Cant wait till i turn 18 so i can buy a fuckton of beer.

Edited:

And holy shit are you me? This is exactly where im at. Im in a voctional insitute, 2nd class. My friend keeps talking about video games and its driving me insane. There are no girls in there either. im socially awkward too. In my freetime i basically do nothing.

I just had to leave from school because the girl left me with a text message. I heard shes dating another guy. She wasnt technically my girlfriend yet, i wasnt in love with her, just had a crush.

Edited:

Had to leave because i lost a bit hope and realize my life is going back to where it was before. Day after day sitting on computer and not a shit to do. Felt like i cant study right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

28. Post #2748
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,137 Posts
    Facepunch I need your help, my friend is contemplating suicide. I try my hardest to tell her she shouldn't kill herself but she keeps wanting to.

Now I dread if she tells me she's going to do it how do I get the police to get to her house, I have no address of hers but only her phone number, Facebook and tumblr info.

Please, what do I do she means a lot to me I don't want her to die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #2749
    December 2009
    5,097 Posts
    Hey, lied down for an hour, i dont even feel bad anymore. I know theres a few girls here and there who think im cute (yeah cute, im not trying to, though i dont mind) And shit, i got 99 problems, but when im in a party and had a few, a bitch aint one.

Also i think i lost nothing, as i wouldnt want a girl who leaves a boyfriend via a text message saying "no offense but im not interested anymore, i got other stuff to do". (shes dating another guy)

And the plus side about having nothing is that there is also nothing to lose. I feel like i could drive back to school now.

Edited:

Facepunch I need your help, my friend is contemplating suicide. I try my hardest to tell her she shouldn't kill herself but she keeps wanting to.

Now I dread if she tells me she's going to do it how do I get the police to get to her house, I have no address of hers but only her phone number, Facebook and tumblr info.

If you need to call the cops, im pretty sure they can find her address with her name.
    Best you can do is to stay there and listen to her. Dont leave, no matter what. Maybe ask if you can come by her house.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

30. Post #2750
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts

See if you can find out her address through her friends, or even ask her directly. Look her up in a phonebook or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

31. Post #2751
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,137 Posts
    If you need to call the cops, im pretty sure they can find her address with her name.
    Best you can do is to stay there and listen to her. Dont leave, no matter what. Maybe ask if you can come by her house.
    Ive been talking to her on Facebook for the last hour making sure she doesn't go through with it, her parents Facebook have been locked out for non friends so I can't message them directly even though she said if i do that she won't be my friend but she will thank me in the long run.

She lives a while from my location but I'm making sure everyday she's not feeling suicidal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

32. Post #2752
    August 2007
    698 Posts
    I really need to go outside and do some stuff, but the problem is i don't know what. Basically i don't have friends to hang out or something. Some Fper on here that lives in the netherlands, maybe even limburg who knows what's to do over here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

33. Post #2753
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,641 Posts

You don't have flatmates?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #2754
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,093 Posts

One time at the bus stop, I mentioned that I hadn't played Castlevania and my friend who takes the same bus managed to talk for literally 60 minutes straight about the game while I just wanted to listen to music. I know how you feel.

35. Post #2755
    Huge Faggot #2
    November 2007
    5,149 Posts
    I hate when people are discussing a topic nobody (save for die-hard fans) could ever find interesting and reject/ignore/miss all of your attempts to change the subject. I'm too nice to flat out say, "I'm not interested in discussing the subtleties of the use of vocal fry in your shitty favorite metal band."

That actually happened to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #2756
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,598 Posts
    I've been in that situation and if I'm the minority then I think it's polite to just listen for a while, but yeah if they just flat out ignore you when you are clearly uninterested then that's kinda rude as well. You can be light-hearted about it though and say something like "WELL, I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this conversation so let's talk about something else!" and if they still don't get the point then they're probably aspergic or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

37. Post #2757
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,137 Posts
    She's okay now, thanks guys :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

38. Post #2758
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,598 Posts

Daw, this was a welcome surprise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #2759
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,844 Posts
    its just an automated birthday message on an internet forum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 3 (list)

40. Post #2760
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    24,005 Posts
    rusty's tellin it like it is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)