1. Post #3161
    January 2011
    322 Posts
    Who likes Breaking Bad? I love Breaking Bad I'm going to do walter next.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #3162
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,707 Posts

first object
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3163
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Also lose the awful signature
    I'll do whatever you say, k?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

4. Post #3164

April 2012
    2 Posts

simple quick pencil sketch of an eye. feedback and constructive criticism welcome:')
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #3165
    September 2011
    2,066 Posts

A tiny cloverfield-style film, featuring my sister's cat, made by students at the University of Gloucestershire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #3166
    June 2010
    424 Posts
    Turning my hand to spriting for a game a couple of friends and I are making, I have no idea what I'm doing though please help.

Edited:

I know the mans head (red one) is misshapen, working on that.

Edited:

Oh god didn't see his knees
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #3167
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,522 Posts

simple quick pencil sketch of an eye. feedback and constructive criticism welcome:')
    Looks great. All i'd add is more contrast, even exaggerate the darks and lights if you have to. If you're trying to get better at drawing eyes make sure you also draw them from other angles.

8. Post #3168
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    heavy heavy wip

been playing a lot of Dota 2 recently

Everytime i try and paint i realise how little i know about light and shadow and actual rendering. Still, it's a nice break from the weeks of figure drawing and anatomy studies ive been doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #3169
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts

I finished that a few weeks ago and forgot to post it. I also have an inked stylized version I'll post whenever I take a photo of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #3170
    nox
    March 2007
    2,199 Posts

Gimp doesn't have any good brushes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #3171
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,102 Posts
    I'll do whatever you say, k?
    Atta boy

New to drawing, this is Sonic.

All feedback and constructive criticism welcome. Photoshop was not used to correct this drawing as I am not good with it. :P
    generally it's not a good idea to shade with the tip of your pencil, unless you're hatching. Try sharpening up your pencil and using the flat edges. This way you can either produce nice flat colour or tonal shading without visible pressure marks (your sonic is riddled with those.)

Plus obligatory:

And for some general advice for people who want to draw cartoons or manga or anything that requires continuous stylised figurative drawing, learn realism and proper human proportions first. The more knowledge and experience you have under your belt, the better you'll be able to simply your drawings into your own style.

The above is really the only crit amateur manga drawings deserve, merely because by starting off your learning curve with stylised drawing will CRIPPLE your improvement rate. If you ever want to be good at this stuff, you'll need to know how to draw a person properly; otherwise you'll always be an amateur. This is the harsh truth.

Plus a bunch of resources posted ages ago

If anyone needs books Here's some Books, I probably posted a majority of these before but the links most likely don't work now.

Famous Artists Course Books
    Basic Landmarks and Proportion.
    Clothes
    Head and hands
    Anatomy

Other books
    Burne Hogarth Clothes
    ImagineFX Anatomy
    Drawing on the right side of the brain
    Glenn Vilppu Drawing Manual
    Jack Hamm Figure Drawing
    Michael Hampton Figure Drawing Design and Invention
    Michael Mattesi Force Dynamic figure drawing.

There's also this neat thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

12. Post #3172
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts
    Plus a bunch of resources posted ages ago
    None of those work

Go here instead

http://boom05.tumblr.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #3173
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,102 Posts

The right corner of the eye should be placed higher up, the whole eye is slanting as it is. The pupil should be a circle. The inside corner of the eye is lazily done. Also it seems like you might have used a reference for the general shapes, but then stopped paying attention to it when you did the eyelashes. Lashes grow almost horizontally from the upper eyelid, so an eye seen at eye-level won't have them all splayed out like that. They'll probably dip from the root into the actual "eye" area and then curve back up and taper off just above where the root is. Then towards the outside corner of the eye they'll become more and more angular and slope downward. Toward the inside corner there probably won't even be any.

And for the bottom ones, they won't be growing from under the lid, but from the apex of the lid, same as the top. You've done a line underneath that marks where they SHOULD be growing from, presumably without understanding why it's there, because it looks in place. Knowledge is power when drawing anatomy (or anything really)

Edited:

None of those work

Go here instead

http://boom05.tumblr.com/
    Ah alright, was too lazy to check them

Saved that link, cheers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

14. Post #3174
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,059 Posts

Still working.

Refined the perspective, rethought the setting and backdrop, changed the lighting, etc.

Really happy with the distant roof/sky. Has a wicked neat old-english Constable feel to it

Edited:

Reference (not photographed by me):

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

15. Post #3175
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,152 Posts
    Since I don't see the Graphic Design thread to be a place to post unfinished or WIP work.

Mockup for a DVD cover for TTGL Gurren-Hen. Is it good? Something I should change before I start tracing it all? The illustrative style will be in the same vein as their commercial-break cards.

A.k.a something like this, as best as I can muster:

Some progress:

n' some more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

16. Post #3176
    I Fuckin' Love Ponies
    January 2007
    6,160 Posts
    Can't hide your identity from me:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 26 (list)

17. Post #3177
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,059 Posts
    Can't hide your identity from me:

Alas!

Edited:

Also

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #3178
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,361 Posts
    Phantasy style medieval and what not jetpack!

... With Winchesters

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 4 (list)

19. Post #3179
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    ugh im having real problems finishing this painting, its like i can't visualise how light is hitting and reacting to this thing. im just bad at rendering

20. Post #3180
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,891 Posts
    you could try making a super basic mock up render in your 3d software of choice, its a pretty slab sided shape and it would help seeing the lights

21. Post #3181
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    yeah i thought about that but that almost seems like cheating

i want to learn to visualise how its lit without the 3d software telling me

oh well, i'll finish this the best i can and move on to something else

22. Post #3182
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,259 Posts

Working on this, got the proportions pretty decent I'd say this time.

3rd try on designing a soldier from scratch, photoshop used only with mouse.

C&C, I could really use this please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #3183
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,361 Posts
    Mount and blade outfit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #3184
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,259 Posts
    Yeah it's inspired on my own cRPG Character.

25. Post #3185
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,361 Posts
    Funny, I recently started playing cRPG too.

26. Post #3186
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,259 Posts
    Sweet, I added you on steam quickly if you don't mind we could talk there instead of going all off topic.

27. Post #3187
    October 2011
    2,301 Posts
    Just did this.

And a quick color version. I'll be make a real one soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #3188
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,149 Posts
    Phantasy style medieval and what not jetpack!

... With Winchesters

The helmet should reflect the balloon too and his left leg is a bit funny, it just starts out of nowhere and looks a bit too short and in an awkward angle. His grip on the gun is a bit weird too although I know how hard drawing hands holding something is.

The explosion is nice though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3189
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    going to call this done

crit is welcome if anyone has any

Edited:

i changed the neck area a bit but can't really be bothered to change the colours so its dunzo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9 (list)

30. Post #3190
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,152 Posts
    I like it a lot. But the shadows aren't really shadows, they add on eachother and doesn't really act like shadows, the colour of the shadows is too much of the same hue as the base colour.

The horns are very bulgy and look unfinished and un-rendered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

31. Post #3191
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    thanks

i really need to study how casting of shadows works and how to apply it with perspective. anyone got any books on that?

32. Post #3192
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,152 Posts
    Nah, but for the hue there is always the good old PSG Art Tutorial
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #3193
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,726 Posts
    also that skin tone is pretty strong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events

34. Post #3194
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts

that feel when you waste days on something knowing it was shit from the start ):
    I actually think the sky is quite nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #3195
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    also that skin tone is pretty strong
    its a character from Dota 2, the juggernaut, and he has bright yellow-orange skin. unless you know that and are still saying its too strong?

36. Post #3196
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,726 Posts
    Ah no, I didn't know that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events

37. Post #3197
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,059 Posts
    its a character from Dota 2, the juggernaut, and he has bright yellow-orange skin. unless you know that and are still saying its too strong?
    Regardless of the reference, it's still too strong in a compositional sense.

As an artist you are not only allowed to take artistic licence but, in some cases, I think you are almost required to take artistic licence. Here the artist needs to step back and look at how that bright orange affects the composition.

I think the orange needs toning down. Maybe have something cast shadow onto it or something. In any case, at the moment it pulls the eye down from the face far too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

38. Post #3198
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    interesting point, didnt think about that when painting it but i agree

39. Post #3199
    September 2010
    718 Posts
    going to call this done

crit is welcome if anyone has any

Edited:

i changed the neck area a bit but can't really be bothered to change the colours so its dunzo
    Bigger broader brush strokes yo

Edited:

you need it*

Edited:

Just found this

Big brushes
    Large to small
    Accents last
    Soften edges
    Take your time

BLAST

is a good advice i think
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3200
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,059 Posts
    Bigger broader brush strokes yo

Edited:

you need it*

Edited:

Just found this

Big brushes
    Large to small
    Accents last
    Soften edges
    Take your time

BLAST

is a good advice i think

I think it depends on the aesthetic you're going for.

I bring in this example again (it uses textures and whatnot as well but it's still relevant);

'Commission: Of Great Age' by ~DanilLovesFood

Barnhouse's image looks, to me, very acrylic or oil-like. The smaller strokes are used to give the mask texture - I think the small strokes really help to sell the bone-like surface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)