1. Post #3761
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,467 Posts
    the lines are all nice and smooth enough. but you're really going to save yourself a lot of time and energy by learning how to do this in illustrator. especially if you're about to start a course with more of the same sort of stuff.

also i don't quite understand the bottom left picture, what is it supposed to represent?

Edited:

i cant figure out what any of those instructions actually mean
    well, and that, yeah

but if you were just going for a visual style then it's not the most important thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #3762
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    3,013 Posts
    I am having waaay too much fun with this whole pixel art thingy.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 23Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3763
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    751 Posts
    Sort of inspired to give pixel art a go. Especially as my realism stuff is progressing so slowly :/

WIP. Sorry it's large, was going for the cool lighting effect of the fire but everything went a bit crazy.. not as cool as i hoped (as usual )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

4. Post #3764
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    A set of infographics that I created a few months back for my Graphic Design class at College (And more importantly to get a feel for the style of design because the course i'll be taking at Uni includes this).
    I know quite a bit of this is poorly composed, with different stroke widths and lots of other shit wrong with it, but it was made in Photoshop because I was too scared to learn illustrator or any other program at that point :(

LÄPPSTIFT
    LÄPPSTIFT
    LÄPPSTIFT
    LÄPPSTIFT
    sorry to take up so much space everyone

What if you had a hand in your illustrations, shown holding the different parts or maybe sometimes one part of the läppstift? I have to agree with Rusty; a lot of symbols, a little less sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

5. Post #3765
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts

I would totally play that game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

6. Post #3766
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    derp

and a self-portrait wip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

7. Post #3767
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,196 Posts
    Anyone want to spare some tips on starting out with speedpainting? Do you use photoshop for your work, or another program entirely? What subjects did you start out with?

I'm good enough at drawing freehand, but painting is never something that I've been good at, and photoshop seems a bit more forgiving than messing up an entire canvas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

8. Post #3768
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    I use photoshop (and drawing on paper) only for anything I create.

And on the subject of speed painting, there are a lot of ways to do it. Really, in the end, do it as you seem fit. In any case, I myself could get an idea and want to sketch it, because that's what I see it as and that's also the most common reason I do it myself: a sketch, a scribble, an idea "written down" hastily made.

When you speed paint, you want it to be evenly painted. This means that you don't focus too much on one area of it, but rather spread out the focus of your work and try to go in an even pace in all areas. You start off simple as with any drawing. You want to catch the composition, the forms, and if your time limit allows it go the next step etc.

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
    This site has a handy tool for speed painting humans or animals or what not, I myself use it when I do a speed painting for the purpose of learning, training or warm up rather than "scribbling down an idea".

Other than that I'd really just like you to google how to speed paint, because nothing can teach you more than your own effort (and google in this case).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #3769
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    5,325 Posts
    i cant figure out what any of those instructions actually mean
    Just like IKEA!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #3770
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,951 Posts
    All drawn in the SketchClub app on the iOs:
    Done on a random whim while bedridden and marathonning on Regular Show

From an SCP reading-induced nightmare

Eh, random lines came to form a shape

Actually was trying to draw a horse, you can see how well that went vv Quite a bit of work went into making a terrible horse a mediocre dragon

My drunk friend chucked a penny into my eye, drew this instead of yelling at him.

Inspired by some bombing footage

More random lines taking shape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #3771
    April 2012
    13 Posts
    -snip for 4chan garbage-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #3772
    January 2009
    1,490 Posts
    Any criticisms?
    Yeah. Why anonymous?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #3773
    November 2010
    680 Posts
    Center of the gradient looks a bit arbitrary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3774
    January 2010
    1,308 Posts
    I got my first tablet the other day and I've been trying to get used to it, this is what I've been toying with so far:

What do you guys think? It's supposed to be a zombie btw.

Edited:

Here's my lousy attempt at shading/coloring

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #3775
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,295 Posts

Any criticisms?
    wrong forum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3776
    April 2012
    13 Posts
    -snip for not taking a hint-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

17. Post #3777
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,956 Posts
    4chan garbage does not belong anywhere on the internet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3778
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,131 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

19. Post #3779
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,681 Posts
    How would I go about creating a quick shadow under this to give it some depth?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #3780
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    You could do it in several ways. You could copy a black trace of it, place it on the ground in a way that makes sense. Or you could use any brush, hard or paint brush-y to do a quick shadow.

The thing is though you could only place a shadow in front of its very right side.

Edited:

So something like this maybe, copying the silhouette and distorting it, black and 50% transparency.
    It's just a presentation method though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #3781
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,317 Posts
    Hahhahahhahahh!
    This was the first thing I saw. A delicious chode.

I thought it was even funnier the amount of times it was quoted without anyone realising that the picture is 30% penor

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

22. Post #3782
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,578 Posts
    So you can apply the lipstick all over your face?

Sounds genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

23. Post #3783
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,131 Posts
    Let me tell you about my 1am speed paints

I'm starting to loosen up and let myself be less of a digital painting purist; I'm allowing myself to use blending layers and many, many layers, texture brushes (both standard and custom brushes made by others) and some blur filters and whatnot when I need them.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

24. Post #3784
    February 2012
    27 Posts
    does anyone know how to have dynamic symmetry in illustrator? I know you can use the reflect thingy to do it after you're finished but I want to see it whilst drawing

Edited:

spray painting on black generally looks pretty bad, it probably too late but I would have suggested either making your case not black or painting on a white/grey object which you can put onto the case
    Yeah, I was supposed to spray several layers, BUT, I hadn't shaken the can enough, so you can (haha!) guess what happened!
    So I ended up leaving it with one layer.
    The colour used is, believe it or not, light, glowing yellow/green.
    And my home made template of paper got wet and I could not use it anymore.
    I was also lazy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events

25. Post #3785
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    Let me tell you about my 1am speed paints

I'm starting to loosen up and let myself be less of a digital painting purist; I'm allowing myself to use blending layers and many, many layers, texture brushes (both standard and custom brushes made by others) and some blur filters and whatnot when I need them.

Rightfully exploiting the tools that you got. I like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #3786
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    262 Posts
    Started scanning some of my older drawings, having some issues with cropping

A plume of hair sprouting from the helmet is not shown (Just in-case the perspective is confusing, his left arm has mutated in size)

Also slightly unfinished
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #3787
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    3,013 Posts
    More pixel art, although this time it is higher resolution wich unfortunately made the leaves in the upper left corner look very simple and not detailed at all.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 15Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #3788
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2319552/StopMotion.mov
    Stop motion project for art, early WIP. There are a lot of things wrong, I know. However, since I'm missing like half of the days alotted because of AP test bullshit, I'm gonna have to be satisfied with this amateur level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #3789
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,858 Posts
    (Just in-case the perspective is confusing, his left arm has mutated in size)
    looks more like his right arm is the one that has mutated in size

30. Post #3790
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    262 Posts
    looks more like his right arm is the one that has mutated in size
    Do you mean his sword-bearing arm? To clarify I meant the character's right rather than the audience's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

31. Post #3791
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    291 Posts

what do you make these in, if you don't mind me asking? And could you share how you do them? like do you draw the whole scene pixel by pixel or do you do separate pieces then import them all into one picture? I'm super jealous and would LOVE to be able to make stuff like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #3792
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,858 Posts
    Do you mean his sword-bearing arm? To clarify I meant the character's right rather than the audience's
    no i mean the character's right arm looks tiny while the 'mutated' arm looks, although a bit too big, closer to the accurate human proportion

33. Post #3793
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    3,013 Posts
    what do you make these in, if you don't mind me asking? And could you share how you do them? like do you draw the whole scene pixel by pixel or do you do separate pieces then import them all into one picture? I'm super jealous and would LOVE to be able to make stuff like this.
    Its quite simple really, i start with making the background (clouds mountains etc) and then start working on the objective. I block out large areas of color such as the beige house, the green trees and such, not paying too much attention to detail.

After im happy with the composition of the image, i start working rough on shading everything. If you shade an object, lets say the trees, make the color slightly colder by giving it a more blue, turqoise or purple tint. When highlighting, give it a more warmer tint like red, yellow or orange.

After that, i work more detailed, adding things like birds, characters or anything not implemented when i blocked out the mayor parts of the image.

I mostly work in Gimp, but i think most programs would work since pixel art dont need any fancy tools other then the pencil and bucket-fill.

Would you want me to make a step-by-step image on how i make them?

(oh, and dont forget to check out Lilyo's post, he helped me a lot http://facepunch.com/threads/1160405...1#post35856452 )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #3794
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    262 Posts
    no i mean the character's right arm looks tiny while the 'mutated' arm looks, although a bit too big, closer to the accurate human proportion
    Fair enough, thanks for the C&C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #3795
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts
    More pixel art, although this time it is higher resolution wich unfortunately made the leaves in the upper left corner look very simple and not detailed at all.

Mother of god you learn fast. Good improvements, keep it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #3796
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,321 Posts

So I set myself for the challenge to draw this in 30 minutes.
    I did! only after 30 minutes I found out something wasnt right and he had no ears.. So I took 15 minutes to paint a shoddy headset onto him hah.

So many things wrong about this, more reason to do better next time.Tumblr Link

Criticism appreciated, seriously I need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

37. Post #3797
    May 2009
    1,840 Posts
    While messing with the colours, I accidentally created the shit that really reminds me of those stupid pink emogirl pictures.
    I had no choice but to draw the blood and the heart :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

38. Post #3798
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,858 Posts
    try to smooth out your skintones a bit and use higher-opacity brushes when doing them - right now your low-opacity is leaving little bits of brighter colour where you have been painting the dark-tones that make the skin look really bumpy and uneven, like it's made of wood or something

39. Post #3799
    September 2011
    5,394 Posts
    Yay, Flash!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

40. Post #3800
    May 2009
    1,840 Posts
    try to smooth out your skintones a bit and use higher-opacity brushes when doing them - right now your low-opacity is leaving little bits of brighter colour where you have been painting the dark-tones that make the skin look really bumpy and uneven, like it's made of wood or something
    Well, I always use 100% opacity brushes... I should pressurize the pen more then, I guess.
    Anyways, thanks for the critique!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events