1. Post #5961
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    now that I got those zings I can go constructive: it is no where near copper or metal in general. Look at metal balls, they have very sharp highlights and very deep shadows and sharp contrasts. Try to block in the areas you see on a metal ball, watch for the negative space, where the refraction and reflection originate from and then try to replicate it. Do it in greyscale first, as its really hard to try and learn metal with color at first.

http://www.brucegray.com/images/period.jpg
    http://www.photo-dictionary.com/phot..._cylinders.jpg
    http://www.karnel.com/large/6616003.jpg

try drawing these, practise materials and stuff from life or photos not pull it out of your ass. You can't draw from head what you don't have in it.
    ctrlpaint might have some tutorials on that subject as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

2. Post #5962
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,735 Posts
    i personalyy never tried painting digitally, but everything looks pretty muddy if not worked to an extreme
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #5963
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,157 Posts
    ~~edgy~~

Edited:

but seriously on a scale from one to constructive...
    Well he's kinda right but what he should have probably said is that the smudgy surface makes it look like clay and it would need to be smoother to look like copper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

4. Post #5964
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    i personalyy never tried painting digitally, but everything looks pretty muddy if not worked to an extreme
    it looks muddy if small brushes are used along with incorrect technique. It's a beginners thing, it's hard to get out of
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

5. Post #5965
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,848 Posts
    done a lot of boring freelance work and some commissioned/requested portrait work lately so trying to get back into proper painting. practising working quickly and getting away from gridding/colour-picker

~2hrs on each ish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 19Winner Winner x 3 (list)

6. Post #5966
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,949 Posts
    had an idea for a dark knight trilogy box set

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #5967
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,320 Posts

Better than my previous ball?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #5968
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,848 Posts
    the reflected light doesn't seem to curve around the ball as much as the main highlights do. it plays with my eyes a bit and makes one side look less spherical than the rest

but maybe it's just me

Edited:

as an aside, i dunno if the "paint a ball" thing is a staple of the artistic trade or something but i really don't get the hype. i did one ball study in skintone when i first got my tablet just to learn blending and a bit of skintone colour theory but i could have learnt just as much by painting an actual face. i guess a ball is an easy place to start but, i suppose my point is, don't get hung up on balls (so to speak)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #5969
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,320 Posts
    You gotta have balls as an artist man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #5970
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,584 Posts
    had an idea for a dark knight trilogy box set

Looks pretty generic to be honest, I've seen that done loads
    but if it's just a proof of technique then ok :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #5971
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,534 Posts
    the reflected light doesn't seem to curve around the ball as much as the main highlights do. it plays with my eyes a bit and makes one side look less spherical than the rest

but maybe it's just me

Edited:

as an aside, i dunno if the "paint a ball" thing is a staple of the artistic trade or something but i really don't get the hype. i did one ball study in skintone when i first got my tablet just to learn blending and a bit of skintone colour theory but i could have learnt just as much by painting an actual face. i guess a ball is an easy place to start but, i suppose my point is, don't get hung up on balls (so to speak)
    It's a traditional way to learn how to handle material definition. It's perfect for every light situation and doesn't require you to pay attention to things like bumps and creaks in the form itself. Since it's a sphere on the ground it will also allow you to work with bouncing light.

All in all it's a perfect object and situation to learn and understand how to draw material, how light works and how to shade, all at once without any disturbances.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

12. Post #5972
    September 2005
    63,949 Posts
    Looks pretty generic to be honest, I've seen that done loads
    but if it's just a proof of technique then ok :o
    yea its just a first draft to test the idea, gonna keep working on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #5973
    yea its just a first draft to test the idea, gonna keep working on it
    You should do a finger paint version, like use two hand prints for the wings and make it all multicolored and then do batman in macaroni letters on the spine of the box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #5974
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    the ball is a way for beginners to learn how light interacts with forms. It's comprehensive, it shows all the parts of the shadow and ambient light and such. And you don't have to worry about other aspects of the drawing like perspective. Essentially, if you know how light falls on the ball, you can apply it to almost anything. It's about starting at the most basic level so as to not become overwhelmed. Drawing a face is pretty complex and there's a lot of elements to take into consideration.

Edited:

bearded vulture photostudy that i got bored of. drawing repetitive things like feathers is something i despise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #5975
    September 2005
    63,949 Posts
    You should do a finger paint version, like use two hand prints for the wings and make it all multicolored and then do batman in macaroni letters on the spine of the box.
    funny, but on the back i might do a chalk bat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #5976
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,131 Posts
    Mate showed up earlier today.

He was like 'Remember that stuff that John took out of his computer because it was broken and replaced it with new stuff; you can have it if you can get it working'.

It was a chunky motherboard, a 3Ghz Xeon and 8 gigs of DDR3.

I plugged it in and apart from 2 out of the 4 RAM slots not working, everything seems fine.

I'm feeling pretty weird about it; feel bad for taking it and not really having anything to give him in return.

However now I can maybe do big canvases without lag. Fun times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #5977
    If this a joke, not funny. If it's not a joke, Gmod is ruined. It was fun because it was free, I will never pay $10 for a sandbox game. No matter what new stuff you put in there.
    January 2005
    26,207 Posts
    you know how we think about short stories in this thread maloof
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

18. Post #5978
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,131 Posts
    you know how we think about short stories in this thread maloof
    it's not a story it actually happened!

you never believe me

Edited:

I'm gonna go live with dad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

19. Post #5979
    May 2010
    791 Posts
    Unsnip.

funnies be damned, im posting it again.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #5980
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    jesus don't sign them make you look like you're serious

(User was banned for this post ("Don't be a dick" - PLing))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #5981
    May 2010
    791 Posts
    wow, i didnt know signatures were so insulting.
    you know, its a little frustrating after the hours ive put into this, the first comment about it is basically "signatures make you look dumb"

i'd of appreciated it if you said something like "its good/or could use some work, but dont put a signature in the future, it dejects from the painting" or something along those lines, instead of just trying to take the piss out of me (which you did)
    so thanks for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

22. Post #5982
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    Welcome to Facepunch.

The proportions are fine, though I'd look over the levels and do some comparisons with the actual image because the shades look misplaced at some places, hence an unrealistic shading.

Edit: like let's say the contrast on some places makes the shading look bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #5983
    May 2010
    791 Posts
    Welcome to Facepunch.

The proportions are fine, though I'd look over the levels and do some comparisons with the actual image because the shades look misplaced at some places, hence an unrealistic shading.

Edit: like let's say the contrast on some places makes the shading look bad.
    alright, il look into correcting the shading. iv never really understood levels, so il look into that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

24. Post #5984
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    Snip.

iv honestly never been this hurt before by you guys.
    so since im so funny, il just go back to lmao pics where i belong.

sorry for trying.
    Don't leave, sheesh. As for a signature, this applies:

clear text so everyone can read your name and a date - not some fancy signature with curly strokes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #5985
    May 2010
    791 Posts
    Don't leave, sheesh. As for a signature, this applies:

clear text so everyone can read your name and a date - not some fancy signature with curly strokes.
    i got butthurt as hell.

il keep working on the shading and stuff. i kinda jumped the gun with the post because i was really eager to show it off, and i dont like spending too much time on something (because then im just sinking hours into something that might not be that good).
    il post later. or not at all, i dunno. anyways, thanks for the advice

26. Post #5986
    If this a joke, not funny. If it's not a joke, Gmod is ruined. It was fun because it was free, I will never pay $10 for a sandbox game. No matter what new stuff you put in there.
    January 2005
    26,207 Posts
    it's not a story it actually happened!

you never believe me

Edited:

I'm gonna go live with dad
    it was a joke!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

27. Post #5987
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,534 Posts
    And i dont like spending too much time on something (because then im just sinking hours into something that might not be that good).
    What a shitty depressing and hostile way of thinking. You're going to drown yourself if you keep thinking like that.

Do what you enjoy doing, sink as many hours as you feel necessary to make it like you want it. Don't quit sinking hours into it "because it might not be all that great after all", stop sinking hours into it "Because I'm done with this" or "I don't want to spend more time on it" or "It turned out shit, only think I could do is redraw it or do something new" or any other actual reason to stop.

It's not a matter of what you achieve after making something, it's a matter of what you gain whilst making something. Ok, so my drawing fucking sucks and everyone hates it, alright, that's a pain in the ass and I can't really not get affected by that, but hey, you know what? I fucking enjoyed the time I spent on it, and all of these responses from people means that they at least care about what I made, one way or the other, and I can take out heaps of help from them as well to make my next thing better whilst still enjoying my time.

Don't make something for the sake of making something good. Make something you want to make, enjoy making it, and be sure to make it as good as you possibly can. How good you can possibly make it does not necessarily mean it'll be good, but by always reaching for the best you can, your abilities will expand. Criticism together with experience made everytime you make something will always ensure you get better, criticism will help you see flaws and avoid doing them whilst experience will simply make you better at doing what you do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #5988
    July 2011
    345 Posts

methinks i'll do something cool in the middle of a city, painting that road has given me ideas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

29. Post #5989
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,166 Posts
    A bit late, but yea I agree that the copper is not shiny enough. As for the color, it seems to me that copper can vary in how red it is or how orange it looks, it all really depends on the alloy and the lighting.

30. Post #5990
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,131 Posts
    wow, i didnt know signatures were so insulting.
    you know, its a little frustrating after the hours ive put into this, the first comment about it is basically "signatures make you look dumb"

i'd of appreciated it if you said something like "its good/or could use some work, but dont put a signature in the future, it dejects from the painting" or something along those lines, instead of just trying to take the piss out of me (which you did)
    so thanks for that.

FP is the only place I have heard people complain about signatures, and it's only a few who do complain. Often the reason given for this complaint is that it makes you look pompous or egotistical or something; the only real reason I can think of for not putting a big standey-outey sig on a work is because it can become a PART of the image (and therefore contribute to the reading and composition of the image).

As long as the signature doesn't stand out too much it's fine. I just put low-opacity signatures on my stuff and don't even care about it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

31. Post #5991
    May 2010
    791 Posts
    logic
    i agree with you pretty much a hundred percent.
    what i meant was that i have a tendency to work really hard on something, for a long long time.
    then after that long time, and all the shading is done and to me its finished, i begin to notice major flaws in my work. then i just get myself into a loop of backtracking, reposting, and editing. i never really end up happy with my work.
    its just, like, when i put too many hours into my drawing or painting, i just kinda become blind to how it actually looks. then after i've deemed it finished, all the errors just suddenly pop out. i scramble to correct it, feel like an ass, then take it down out of shame (something like that).
    then i end up losing interest in what iv done along the line, and cant bring myself to work on it anymore.

iv noticed a pattern that the art that iv worked the longest on, are the ones that never really sit right with me. i guess we could call it the "Duke Nukem Forever" effect.

so what i would like to improve is my efficiency, so that i still have the window of opportunity to look at my work from a standpoint that isnt actively in denial that the work is shiet

32. Post #5992
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,180 Posts
    A signature is also not very useful if nobody can read it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #5993
    May 2010
    791 Posts
    il keep the low opacity signature thing in mind. might not even put one on next time, seeing the amount of grief i get over it.

but what about the actual painting? so far its apparently funny, which is annoying. i dont know whether people are just bandwagoning or not.
    the shadows i realize are not very consistent, and the shading could stand some smoothing, but aside from that, i dont know what else i should do.

34. Post #5994
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,131 Posts
    il keep the low opacity signature thing in mind. might not even put one on next time, seeing the amount of grief i get over it.

but what about the actual painting? so far its apparently funny, which is annoying. i dont know whether people are just bandwagoning or not.
    the shadows i realize are not very consistent, and the shading could stand some smoothing, but aside from that, i dont know what else i should do.
    Leave it alone for a day or two, don't even look at it, then come back and compare it to your reference and you'll pick up more of a sense of what you could improve on

'Fresh eyes' are very very useful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #5995
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,534 Posts
    i agree with you pretty much a hundred percent.
    what i meant was that i have a tendency to work really hard on something, for a long long time.
    then after that long time, and all the shading is done and to me its finished, i begin to notice major flaws in my work. then i just get myself into a loop of backtracking, reposting, and editing. i never really end up happy with my work.
    its just, like, when i put too many hours into my drawing or painting, i just kinda become blind to how it actually looks. then after i've deemed it finished, all the errors just suddenly pop out. i scramble to correct it, feel like an ass, then take it down out of shame (something like that).
    then i end up losing interest in what iv done along the line, and cant bring myself to work on it anymore.

iv noticed a pattern that the art that iv worked the longest on, are the ones that never really sit right with me. i guess we could call it the "Duke Nukem Forever" effect.

so what i would like to improve is my efficiency, so that i still have the window of opportunity to look at my work from a standpoint that isnt actively in denial that the work is shiet
    That's how things work.

There will always be flaws and you will always be blinded by looking at it too much. (That's why we take breaks and show off our stuff to others to let them tell us what we can't see, a.k.a criticism).

You will never be happy with your work. You always get better and so does your standards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

36. Post #5996
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,313 Posts
    Unsnip.

funnies be damned, im posting it again.

Her fingers are very small/short and look like sausages with no joints for the most part

The dip above her cheekbone is frighteningly deep

And various other small things like that

The shadows are really inconsistent as well, with that light source the shadows on her visible thighs and stomach etc. should be a lot darker, like the shadows on her arm.

But overall it's a good start on everything, keep working and you'll keep getting better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #5997
    Garb is the dry stuff in the corner of your eyes when you just wake up.
    May 2010
    2,032 Posts
    What do you guys say would be the best tool for digital painting? I would like to just mess around with it but I'm not sure how to begin.

38. Post #5998
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    918 Posts

The title of this glorious piece is: "An Accurate Self Portrait of My Current Mental Health"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #5999
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts
    PENIS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #6000
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,284 Posts

Better than my previous ball?
    Yes. But the shadow looks too sharp, in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)