1. Post #7081
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    I get paid on the 1st. I'd love to have that llama still. Promise you'll sell it to me even if you take the store down? Unless someone gets to it first.
    You want the llama?!

How did I forget about this? ahaha. What did we agree to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #7082
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    A neat time-lapsey thing by this guy. Pretty impressive.

The use of adjustment layers and whatnot is pretty interesting.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #7083
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    5,044 Posts
    You want the llama?!

How did I forget about this? ahaha. What did we agree to do?
    Nothing that I know of. I'm just saying, it's an amazing piece that I'd love to own. :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #7084
    October 2011
    2,326 Posts
    A neat time-lapsey thing by this guy. Pretty impressive.

The use of adjustment layers and whatnot is pretty interesting.

That's Alicexz http://alicexz.deviantart.com/. I actually have that print on my wall haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #7085
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    Nothing that I know of. I'm just saying, it's an amazing piece that I'd love to own. :3
    Cool! I'll keep the store up for a while longer, I'm just feeling a little disappointed at it so far but I guess it's only been 4 days!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #7086
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    Cool! I'll keep the store up for a while longer, I'm just feeling a little disappointed at it so far but I guess it's only been 4 days!
    Perhaps it would be useful for a bunch of us to help each other out in terms of advertising? I don't mean telling people 'nobody will love you unless you buy this print'; I'm talking about some good old-fashioned networking.

If we've all got Tumblrs, DeviantArt accounts, etc, a bunch of us could start linking to each other's stuff? Scratching each other's backs, as it were, but without the awkward heterosexual angst
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

7. Post #7087
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me! Pretty much all of my 650 etsy views are originally from facebook and facepunch, from what I can gather from the stats, only like 25 views are actually directly from etsy and a dozen from tumblr/twitter (to be fair I hardly use twitter, and I've only had tumblr a week).

This week I'm going go try and produce one cheap ~5 drawing a day just to keep my views ticking along. I think as long as I make a new entry I can safely get 100-200 views (but yeah like I say it's only been going 4 days so it's impossible to know for sure).

Besides letting this tick over, my plan is to spend a while producing a t-shirt design and work out a way of making the 160 investment in 25 shirts without risking a total loss... Not too sure what to do on that front, besides trying to convince 13 people to promise they'll pay 13 for the shirt (obviously having seen the finished design, just not applied to a t-shirt).

8. Post #7088
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,732 Posts
    You know that this whole selling art thing isn't really easy and requires a lot of patience, right? Also, about that shirt thing: You're afraid to lose your money, but you should know that it's always a bet when you start a project like this. You can't just go around asking people "If I made something like this, would you buy it? Would you really buy it? Really really? Promise?". Also, if you want to take this seriously, then I suggest getting more money to invest. If not, then why don't you just try spreadshirt or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #7089
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    Yeah I guess you're right. I'm just feeling unadventurous since spending so much money on materials lately. I'll explore safer routes, thanks!

10. Post #7090
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,732 Posts
    and I actually suggest you use society6. You can put posters and tshirts there, and the place doesn't look cheesy like the others
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events

11. Post #7091
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,172 Posts
    Try out Redbubble Rob, you've got nothing to lose and people will buy literally anything from there. Least discerning community I've ever come across. Cutesy animal things like you've been doing, they lap that stuff up. Personally I wouldn't like to "sell out" and start doing little things that pander to that kind of audience to scrape out a profit, but your stuff would go like hotcakes I reckon.

I have made some money from people buying old shirt designs that I put up to buy myself, got a lump payment of like 25 bucks on paypal the other day. The profit per item is only a few quid, it's rubbish, but you invest nothing so it's probably worth your while if you're desperate to sell stuff. Plus you could link to wherever you're selling originals or whatever..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #7092
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,900 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

13. Post #7093
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    740 Posts
    'nother quick doodle, still playing around with brushes. It's pretty neat how different brushes can radically change my workflow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #7094
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    'nother quick doodle, still playing around with brushes. It's pretty neat how different brushes can radically change my workflow
    What sort of brush packs to you fellas use?

15. Post #7095
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    740 Posts
    I make my own, way more fun that way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #7096
    May 2009
    1,777 Posts
    Scribbled some sci-fi wild west thingy last night.

I suck at drawing clothes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #7097
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,172 Posts
    It's great as usual

Idk about those lens flare light bar things though

Oh wait are they supposed to be like bullets?

That makes so much more sense, they still look weird though and not like gunfire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #7098
    August 2011
    71 Posts
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me! Pretty much all of my 650 etsy views are originally from facebook and facepunch, from what I can gather from the stats, only like 25 views are actually directly from etsy and a dozen from tumblr/twitter (to be fair I hardly use twitter, and I've only had tumblr a week).

This week I'm going go try and produce one cheap ~5 drawing a day just to keep my views ticking along. I think as long as I make a new entry I can safely get 100-200 views (but yeah like I say it's only been going 4 days so it's impossible to know for sure).

Besides letting this tick over, my plan is to spend a while producing a t-shirt design and work out a way of making the 160 investment in 25 shirts without risking a total loss... Not too sure what to do on that front, besides trying to convince 13 people to promise they'll pay 13 for the shirt (obviously having seen the finished design, just not applied to a t-shirt).
    I think you should focus on creating more art rather than trying to sell it straight away and make money fast, its not an easy thing trying to sell your art and as said before requires a lot of patience, before taking the plunge and spending lots of money printing your art onto t-shirts, you should first make sure that there is a demand for your art, then when you get more attention start moving up onto t-shirts etc

artists like Godmachine do this, at first he started working on smaller self initiated work and band related stuff (album art/posters) and eventually moved onto merch for clothing companies and band t shirts because people started buying his prints like hot cakes!

Prints and Posters
    Merch designs

I think Godmachine screen prints most of his work which is an awesome way to bump up prices, I wouldn't be as willing to pay as much for a digital print,
    I really want a Godmachine print they just often sell out really fast :(

also if you were going to sell t-shirts
    bigcartel.com is a really awesome place to do it,
    hope this helps in anyway :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #7099
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,271 Posts
    Scribbled some sci-fi wild west thingy last night.
    I suck at drawing clothes.
    The only problem I can see is her left foot's angle. To me, it looks kinda twisted.

You can just fix that foot or

It's still a masterpeice because I can't even draw anything nearly as half good as that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events

20. Post #7100
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    it looks good but she seems to be chillaxing rather than being in a gun fight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #7101
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    I think you should focus on creating more art rather than trying to sell it straight away and make money fast, its not an easy thing trying to sell your art and as said before requires a lot of patience, before taking the plunge and spending lots of money printing your art onto t-shirts, you should first make sure that there is a demand for your art, then when you get more attention start moving up onto t-shirts etc

artists like Godmachine do this, at first he started working on smaller self initiated work and band related stuff (album art/posters) and eventually moved onto merch for clothing companies and band t shirts because people started buying his prints like hot cakes!

Prints and Posters
    Merch designs

I think Godmachine screen prints most of his work which is an awesome way to bump up prices, I wouldn't be as willing to pay as much for a digital print,
    I really want a Godmachine print they just often sell out really fast :(

also if you were going to sell t-shirts
    bigcartel.com is a really awesome place to do it,
    hope this helps in anyway :)
    Really appreciating all this advise guys!

I'm going to keep producing stuff to sell, just quite cheap and quite quick. Price wise, should I reduce any of the stuff that's already on? I was thinking I'll just add the stuff I'm producing atm at a much reduced cost (like the robot drawing I did for 7). I think I'm probably better off going for quantity at the moment, as much as possible.

Edited:

how much shall I put it on for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

22. Post #7102
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,318 Posts
    Just to be an ass and party pooper I'll say this.

I think your stuff has it's own style which I like robbobin, but most of the actual work is done by the nice paper rather than the drawings themselves. It's kind of like using grunge brushes or a paper overlay to texturize a drawing. It works and it makes even the worst shit look at least decent because the texture adds a lot.

But a texture is only a texture and it only works for so long, after a while it becomes repetive and bland and the work itself rather than the foundation it's made on gets the focus. And quite frankly there isn't all that much to your drawings in my opinion. You draw, things. The dog one you referenced from is cute and I can definitely see an appeal to it, but the other drawings are just what they are and not much else.

The quality of your drawings are so-so as well, it could really need a lot of improvement. Your motives could need more planning and interest put into them. And what's most important, if you're going to keep using a brown paper with a strong grain texture, make sure what you draw fits the mood. You can't just draw whatever on to it, because the paper has already set a specific mood. Earlier you wondered why everyone always uses white paper, and the reason is simple. First of all better quality paper with more texture costs more so it's usually not something people want to invest in. Second and most important of all, it gives all the focus to the drawing, the paper doesn't steal attention nor does it set any specific mood, everything becomes up to the drawing and how well you've done it. It can easily become bland though, which is why if you plan your motive and concept you can choose a paper type that fits the mood and technique you want to use which can enhance a drawing drastically. Plain paper also has the advantage of being the easiest one to scan and clean up digitally so you can digitally paint and colour it.

Personally I'm getting kind of tired of your struggle to sell your stuff constantly buggering us about it, asking for interest, price and so on and so forth. I really don't think your drawings are really all that well planned and done. By all means I find some of your drawings really great, but not THAT great. They're like good doodles that are entertaining to watch, but nothing that has all that effort and planning to it that makes it an excellent piece of art I would want to look at for years to come on my wall. If you want to sell your art then I suggest going to sites dedicated to it and whore yourself out, advertising yourself, getting to know other artists, doing collabs and whatnot and get yourself known. You can't just pop out of nowhere and except to sell your stuff.

All in all I've seen work 10x better planned and executed in here that I still wouldn't have bought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #7103
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    Just to be an ass and party pooper I'll say this.

I think your stuff has it's own style which I like robbobin, but most of the actual work is done by the nice paper rather than the drawings themselves. It's kind of like using grunge brushes or a paper overlay to texturize a drawing. It works and it makes even the worst shit look at least decent because the texture adds a lot.

But a texture is only a texture and it only works for so long, after a while it becomes repetive and bland and the work itself rather than the foundation it's made on gets the focus. And quite frankly there isn't all that much to your drawings in my opinion. You draw, things. The dog one you referenced from is cute and I can definitely see an appeal to it, but the other drawings are just what they are and not much else.

The quality of your drawings are so-so as well, it could really need a lot of improvement. Your motives could need more planning and interest put into them. And what's most important, if you're going to keep using a brown paper with a strong grain texture, make sure what you draw fits the mood. You can't just draw whatever on to it, because the paper has already set a specific mood. Earlier you wondered why everyone always uses white paper, and the reason is simple. First of all better quality paper with more texture costs more so it's usually not something people want to invest in. Second and most important of all, it gives all the focus to the drawing, the paper doesn't steal attention nor does it set any specific mood, everything becomes up to the drawing and how well you've done it. It can easily become bland though, which is why if you plan your motive and concept you can choose a paper type that fits the mood and technique you want to use which can enhance a drawing drastically. Plain paper also has the advantage of being the easiest one to scan and clean up digitally so you can digitally paint and colour it.

Personally I'm getting kind of tired of your struggle to sell your stuff constantly buggering us about it, asking for interest, price and so on and so forth. I really don't think your drawings are really all that well planned and done. By all means I find some of your drawings really great, but not THAT great. They're like good doodles that are entertaining to watch, but nothing that has all that effort and planning to it that makes it an excellent piece of art I would want to look at for years to come on my wall. If you want to sell your art then I suggest going to sites dedicated to it and whore yourself out, advertising yourself, getting to know other artists, doing collabs and whatnot and get yourself known. You can't just pop out of nowhere and except to sell your stuff.

All in all I've seen work 10x better planned and executed in here that I still wouldn't have bought.
    Thanks dgg, a lot to think about. I'll make sure whatever comes next is a much higher standard.

24. Post #7104
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,329 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #7105
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    1,522 Posts
    My 1st attempt at coloring something I didn't ink :

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

26. Post #7106
    September 2011
    3 Posts
    Hey everyone !

Here is something I made during this year :

I used Dear Esther as a reference for the first one.
    (Clic for HD /!\ ber resolution)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #7107
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    There's a populare swedish blondie in my hometown, so I made this to her

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #7108
    No one likes you, get banned.
    December 2009
    6,114 Posts
    Yeah you sent me that on steam and i told you that it's awkward.

Edited:

The head looks huge and doesn't fit the body.

Edited:

Also creepy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #7109
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,720 Posts
    Nah thats not the problem
    The problem is that it is just a silly photoshop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #7110
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,348 Posts
    My 1st attempt at coloring something I didn't ink :

He's really bad at keeping his drink in the glass and apparently the little one has inherited the same trait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

31. Post #7111
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,083 Posts
    Cheekbones-man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

32. Post #7112
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    740 Posts
    been on a bit of a quake binge lately
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

33. Post #7113
    June 2011
    267 Posts
    So I did this today after playing around with Element 3D by Video Copilot. Yup, made in AE. Problem?

The size of this image is too damn high, yeah, I know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

34. Post #7114
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    740 Posts
    I'd either reduce the size or work on the really apparent aliasing going on in there. pretty neat pic though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

35. Post #7115
    June 2011
    267 Posts
    I'd either reduce the size or work on the really apparent aliasing going on in there. pretty neat pic though
    Rendering times with antialasing is high and it has a chance of crashing AE for no reason. Why? No idea.

EDIT: It seems that bringing it to Photoshop reduced the quality. It was crystal clear in AE. Weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

36. Post #7116
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,083 Posts
    Some stupid looking alien plant.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #7117
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    Regarding our earlier convo about networking; should we set up a networking thread in the forums? Sort of 'post the best examples of your work and then organise to reblog/retweet/promote each others stuff'?

38. Post #7118
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,732 Posts
    i don't mind, but i don't really have that many followers on twitter because i barely use it and I have a tumblr account that nobody cares about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events

39. Post #7119
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    i don't mind, but i don't really have that many followers on twitter because i barely use it and I have a tumblr account that nobody cares about
    That's the point though; most of us are in the same boat. You don't get anywhere in tumblr or twitter without tumbling or tweeting, and if you have a bunch of people who are bouncing content between each other, what one person blogs and another person reblogs will get seen by many, many more people

Edited:

It's like a spider-web but not really because spiders can fuck off

40. Post #7120
    January 2011
    7,172 Posts
    Sounds like follow-for-follow-ing, which is pretty poor form if you ask me

Edited:

Like, if you think something is good enough to reblog or whatever shouldn't you do it anyway? Rather than doing it in exchange for something, like some kind of advertisement barter system

Likewise your stuff should surely get passed around on its own merit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)