1. Post #7961
    moo
    November 2006
    4,767 Posts

I made a silly giraffe, he's flying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #7962
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    and has broken legs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #7963
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,045 Posts
    that silly sausage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #7964
    nox
    March 2007
    2,193 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 28Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #7965
    October 2011
    2,294 Posts
    and has broken legs
    that's obviously why he's flying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #7966
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    1,460 Posts
    Made this 2 weeks ago but since the Slenderhype is still on :

sender is the scariest gaem ever u shud play it its scary !!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner x 21Funny x 1Agree x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7967
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,943 Posts

depressed, so im drawing alot more.. trying to do a picture a day to improve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Friendly Friendly x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #7968
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,591 Posts
    Finally have a fan system for the game that works well.

What do yous all think? Are the controls too fiddly or do you think that after activating levers a couple of times you'd be comfortable with these controls?

You can fiddle with it here
    Is not having any control over yourself during a jump deliberate? I can see that being really difficult and awkward if it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #7969
    July 2009
    1,015 Posts
    I'm so jealous of all the amazing work in here. I took private art classes for three years but didn't seem to improve at all. I've always wanted to be able to portray images in my mind on paper the way so many other artists can seemingly effortlessly. I draw all the the time but it always comes out looking like it did when I was 12. I guess I'm just ranting but I got upset seeing all the amazing works in here :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #7970
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    I'm so jealous of all the amazing work in here. I took private art classes for three years but didn't seem to improve at all. I've always wanted to be able to portray images in my mind on paper the way so many other artists can seemingly effortlessly. I draw all the the time but it always comes out looking like it did when I was 12. I guess I'm just ranting but I got upset seeing all the amazing works in here :/
    Did you practise once every day at least? Cause private art classes are not really that useful if there is no personal practise done aside, for artistic improvement.

Links that could be still helpful to you:

http://alexhays.com/loomis/

http://learninganatomy.tumblr.com/
    http://human-proportions.tumblr.com/
    http://anatomicalart.tumblr.com/
    http://amazinglyartisticadvice.tumblr.com/
    http://artutorials.tumblr.com/
    http://fyeaharttips.tumblr.com/
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    http://referencesforartists.tumblr.com/
    http://how-to-art.tumblr.com/
    http://spoonbard.deviantart.com/art/...-v1-3-40590655
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #7971
    August 2012
    138 Posts

Practising some anatomy and I suck at drawing appendages. Dunno why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malaysia Show Events

12. Post #7972
    If this a joke, not funny. If it's not a joke, Gmod is ruined. It was fun because it was free, I will never pay $10 for a sandbox game. No matter what new stuff you put in there.
    January 2005
    25,086 Posts
    this owns but the tiny dude in the center looks so out of place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #7973
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts

Trying to improve my colour understanding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

14. Post #7974
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    749 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #7975
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,045 Posts
    after a long summer of very little, here is a colour study before i start doing a lot of concept work at uni

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #7976
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,696 Posts
    So I got acecpted for an Architecture major today, any architects in the house?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #7977
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,045 Posts
    congrats. my 3D tutor did architecture before he decided to get into games. it's a surprisingly open artistic course
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #7978
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,799 Posts
    I've felt this way for a while and I'm trying to work on it, just try drawing individual body parts like arms, look at L'ecorche and try and understand human physical muscles etc, even if they're crap try not to care too much.

And give yourself confidence, find somebody that can draw. Confidence and security is something that can help you get out of the "why bother if it's crap" ditch I had myself in before my dad gave me a bit of a push, since he can draw well enough to give me a push.

Just go at it, and reference, lots of it.

Edited:

congrats. my 3D tutor did architecture before he decided to get into games. it's a surprisingly open artistic course
    Our tutor has said that the best concept artist he's seen used to be a garden designer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #7979
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    I've felt this way for a while and I'm trying to work on it, just try drawing individual body parts like arms, look at L'ecorche and try and understand human physical muscles etc, even if they're crap try not to care too much.

And give yourself confidence, find somebody that can draw. Confidence and security is something that can help you get out of the "why bother if it's crap" ditch I had myself in before my dad gave me a bit of a push, since he can draw well enough to give me a push.

Just go at it, and reference, lots of it.

Edited:

Our tutor has said that the best concept artist he's seen used to be a garden designer
    One of my tutors last year used to design oil rigs before becoming a games animator

20. Post #7980
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,011 Posts
    how do you guys blend colors and shadows on photoshop/whatever software you guys have?

i mean i thought about it while i was doing traditional painting and i was like for painting you can blend colors together with your brushes to make a smooth transition but on photoshop or any other application how do you do it, do you just take like 5 different colors until the color blend is complete or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #7981
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,799 Posts
    One of my tutors last year used to design oil rigs before becoming a games animator
    Designers are just one big happy family :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #7982
    October 2011
    2,294 Posts
    Finished this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 17 (list)

23. Post #7983
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,998 Posts
    how do you guys blend colors and shadows on photoshop/whatever software you guys have?

i mean i thought about it while i was doing traditional painting and i was like for painting you can blend colors together with your brushes to make a smooth transition but on photoshop or any other application how do you do it, do you just take like 5 different colors until the color blend is complete or what?
    Well not entirely, that's what pen pressure is for. Depending on your brush, you should be able to use soft strokes to transition from one colour to the next. It's not like you gotta pick every shade of the gradient in between. It's not completely natural obviously, you'll probably have to colour pick after you block it out and refine it to your taste, but it's not as laborious as all that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

24. Post #7984
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,911 Posts
    You get a lot better at colour blending as you go on. Sometimes you can get away with having two manually-picked colours then blending them using a lower opacity brush. But if the difference between the two colours is vast and you want to get a blend going on you'll need to manually pick a couple of the colours in between, sometimes several colours. Trying to mix blend two vastly different colours without picking any colours in between and just low-opacity blending it will give you dull in-between colours. Sometimes this might be a good thing. Sometimes it won't.

You'll get an eye for what 'dull' colour looks like and when it's a positive or negative thing as you do more painting and look at other artist's works though, as well as posting your work here so we can point out where you have dull colours where you ought to have vibrant colours (and vice versa)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac New Zealand Show Events

25. Post #7985
    August 2012
    138 Posts

I'm just halfway done. It's a bit tricky to shade and I'm too tired to finish it up today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malaysia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #7986
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,408 Posts
    I have to say that I'm somewhat dissapointed with the outcome.
    It's for my final school project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

27. Post #7987
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    Another study. Think I'm getting better with colour. Perspective still needs work in a lot of cases.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #7988
    May 2009
    1,524 Posts
    Sketches

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #7989
    If this a joke, not funny. If it's not a joke, Gmod is ruined. It was fun because it was free, I will never pay $10 for a sandbox game. No matter what new stuff you put in there.
    January 2005
    25,086 Posts
    he's not winking yet his speech bubble implies he is please mind your consistency
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

30. Post #7990
    May 2009
    1,524 Posts
    he's not winking yet his speech bubble implies he is please mind your consistency
    It's an inside joke, but I'm sorry I won't make that mistake again. Please forgive me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

31. Post #7991
    October 2011
    2,294 Posts
    lol I do these shitty drawings for all my friends on their birthdays

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #7992
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    749 Posts

I've literally never done silhouettes before and I already find it so beneficial as you start to see things that you didn't intend (yet decide to develop). As well as making sure the outline is interesting :o Why didn't I do this before?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12 (list)

33. Post #7993
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,998 Posts
    Those look very nice and loose. I like the two smaller ones at the bottom especially
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #7994
    October 2011
    115 Posts

Styles Hitler tried before he finally settled on one he liked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #7995
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,086 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #7996
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    749 Posts
    Awesome shading on the dinosaur, always respect lines/cross hatching as it's something I can't seem to pull off so well

37. Post #7997
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,045 Posts
    i love it but where did he tail go

Edited:

he's definitely gonna fall over
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #7998
    June 2010
    2,711 Posts
    For a certain someone's birthday

It's sort of an inside joke
    I did a shitty pen-on-printer paper version like 3 or 4 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #7999
    January 2011
    6,998 Posts
    It's a bit muddy zoomed in but it reads really well in the thumbnail so well done with the values I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #8000
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,300 Posts

Just screwing around with my friend's face in Photoshop. I'm still pretty bad at it but it's fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Winner Winner x 1 (list)