1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    I'm a freshman and I want you to teach me how to improve like that in 2 years.

Practice, motherfucker

And feedback. Get criticism. Learn to tell which bits of the criticism you need/is useful and which bits you can discard.

Don't listen to the people who tell you not to argue with criticism.

You will have people give you bad advice. Figure out who you can trust to give you good advice and who is talking out of their arse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

2. Post #482
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    5,083 Posts
    Practice, motherfucker

And feedback. Get criticism. Learn to tell which bits of the criticism you need/is useful and which bits you can discard.

You will have people give you bad advice. Figure out who you can trust to give you good advice and who is talking out of their arse.
    Pretty much what I try to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #483
    October 2010
    871 Posts
    Pretty much what I try to do.
    This may also be bad advice, but drugs have really enhance my creativity.

I went from this poster: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../poster2-2.png

To this poster after a shroom trip: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...ctposter-1.png
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

4. Post #484
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,554 Posts
    whats that? u want some kawaii water?
    why am I reminded of the Cloverfield Viral marketing for Slusho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,224 Posts

To this poster after a shroom trip: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...ctposter-1.png
    heh the only thing i could draw while on drugs was a zip lock bag with a face, arms and legs and a cannon with a starkly lit ball shooting out

then i got frustrated because i could barely hold the pen so i laid down lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

6. Post #486
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    62,532 Posts
    this is very racist against the japanese tsunami how dare u risty
    >:)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #487
    [b][highlight][size=+10]STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T[/size][/highlight][/b]
    January 2009
    2,013 Posts

Took a sketch and painted it up in photoshop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts

That must have been worlds most boring trip ever, no offense against your art - which is quite nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

9. Post #489
    dgg
    I ‚̧ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    25,888 Posts

Took a sketch and painted it up in photoshop.
    That's the flattest afro I've ever seen. Ruins the whole headshape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts
    Practice, motherfucker

This man is right!
    It's way more important to ask the right person than to ask anyone at random. Naturally a comfortable situation for anyone who wants to get better is to surround himself with people who know more.

I'm much for criticism and I love to teach (have been mentoring several people in traditional arts), but I don't tread on certain areas I myself don't know so much about. A painting can always be beautiful or generally appreciated, but noticing flaws, faults or eventual improvements as well as prestigeful moments and events is a part of growing as an artist. You will never notice all of your own flaws or quality traits, and that's where the constructive criticism comes in.

11. Post #491
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    62,532 Posts

i don't mean to be rude, but you have no sense of composition, like at all. you seriously need to work on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    I agree. The illustrations are nice (although colour selections could use a slight tweak) - the two-line title isn't doing it for me in any of the pieces I've seen it in

13. Post #493
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,270 Posts
    I don't know if this will help, but what I do is constantly draw and at the same time thinking my content is garbage.
    I do that and then it just ends up with me stopping half-way

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts
    I do that and then it just ends up with me stopping half-way

:(
    No, no, no. You have to maintain the role of being neutral to yourself in terms of criticism. Don't hate nor love your work, listen to the priceless constructive criticism and only that. Feelings are not a part of it. It's more philosophical than you might think.

Edited:

First speedpaint with tablet, only using square brush and nine pixel wide circle brush, never timed myself but I'd say 10-15 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,138 Posts
    Don't be afraid to use eraser to get hard edges quickly. Even inside layers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    No, no, no. You have to maintain the role of being neutral to yourself in terms of criticism. Don't hate nor love your work, listen to the priceless constructive criticism and only that. Feelings are not a part of it. It's more philosophical than you might think.

I disagree. If you can't pick out what's wrong with your work and have to rely on others to do that then you're stuffed

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,063 Posts
    Quick question, but how do you guys distinguish between style and actual technical mistakes?

It's a completely serious question because it's an issue that's rendered me unable to judge or consider other people's works.

18. Post #498
    June 2008
    1,352 Posts
    Self-criticism is good, hating your own work is bad. I keep the philosophy of telling myself I can improve my skills from work to work and I criticize myself in order to see where I can gather the improvement necessary to go a step further. Getting extra criticism from other eyes is really valuable too because some people can point out things I don't see.

@Above: Mastering a style requires mastering the technical skills that allows you to break the rules without breaking everything else. Usually if people go for style before learning about anatomy and perspective you'll be able to tell by how inconsistent their characters are whenever they are viewed from an asymmetrical angle, whenever they are foreshortened and generally you'll see inconsistent limb length or limbs that don't fit together and make an unbalanced character. There is also lacking or wrong knowledge of various body types, muscle groups, balance, understanding of shape and how light and shadows work.
    Also usually if you call people out on doing style before learning how to draw you'll see they don't have work that takes a stab at life studies or anything else that resembles classical drawing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

19. Post #499
    August 2011
    1,202 Posts
    Quick question, but how do you guys distinguish between style and actual technical mistakes?

It's a completely serious question because it's an issue that's rendered me unable to judge or consider other people's works.
    I believe its all a matter of opinion, as what you call "art" doesn't necessarily have any guidelines. If your goal is to make something anatomically correct, then the technical mistake would be to fail at that, right? You can't generalize it all into one lump, its all a matter of what you try to achieve.

A lot of people also say that there are no mistakes, only happy accidents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts

It all depends on how far from the 'mainstream' way of doing things you want to go.

Some really great things can come from doing things in a technically non-mainstream (some would say 'incorrect') way;

I think it's good to learn about the mainstream techniques because, often, they do serve a very specific purpose. The whole 'don't use low opacity brushes' thing that gets discussed every few pages is an important lesson because it teaches you that simply overlaying a darker shade of the same colour using 50% opacity to get shadow will create a dull, unrealistic image.

Once you've learned the lesson or 'rule', feel free to break it if you have a good reason.

Technique and style can cross over. Some artists make really nice works using what some would consider 'bad' techniques. It's about using the 'bad' technique in a new and interesting way. You'll find that you have to cater to the 'mainstream' opinion of 'what looks good' on some level though, or people won't enjoy your work.

Some unconventional stuff by Danillovesfood

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #501
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,188 Posts
    Some unconventional stuff by Danillovesfood

Looks like Morrowind+Oblivion...

C&C please? I want to improve my drawings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts
    I disagree. If you can't pick out what's wrong with your work and have to rely on others to do that then you're stuffed
    My point was to not look down on yourself or get too confident. To start believing oneself suck won't really help you get better if it only leads to low self-esteem and a rendered capability to draw. It's not very effective, won't you agree? You kinda have to be subjective about your own talent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    My point was to not look down on yourself or get too confident. To start believing oneself suck won't really help you get better if it only leads to low self-esteem and a rendered capability to draw. It's not very effective, won't you agree? You kinda have to be subjective about your own talent.
    Objectivity is for wankers

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts

So when you guys draw which type of line do you like to use and why? i don't really know which to use, opacity or no opacity.

And I mean just lineart.
    i know i probably got other stuff to worry about but small stuff like this bothers me.

25. Post #505
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,986 Posts
    How many times is Danillovesfood going to be posted in here, everyone must remember him by now

thumbed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts

So when you guys draw which type of line do you like to use and why? i don't really know which to use, opacity or no opacity.

And I mean just lineart.
    i know i probably got other stuff to worry about but small stuff like this bothers me.
    Lineart? I'd use the pen tool and draw with nodes if I want specific lines. Even so lines around a character isn't something I fancy doing.

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts
    Well i guess the word i'm looking for is just sketching.

dicking about on the page and drawing whatever

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts
    Then number two; pen pressure, since it gives you easier and faster variation of shades. If you use black and paint on white you get the entire scale.

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,392 Posts

trying to make it look like a 'realistic' photograph
    ideas??

30. Post #510
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts

ideas??
    higher resolution images, no lens flare and if you want bloom to blend the text in.

Also the ground has a fisheye effect but the sky + text don't, also there lens flare is coming from the wrong place anyway the sun is to the right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,392 Posts
    the original picture is A4 dimensions so it was hard to find bigger grass textures :(

any idea how to make the sun look more realistic?

i do not understand lens flares, I just put them where I think they're supposed to be, should it be on the other side?

32. Post #512
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    well they're supposed to be where the sun is because they are the sun's rays reflecting off of the lens of the camera but I think you should do without them for now. As for the sky itself look at this picture

notice how the sky disappears into the distance instead of stopping suddenly. your sky needs to do something like that. Finally you need to blend the images, right now they don't look right together, play with the contrast, add shadows, lighting effects, colours make it look more like it's a natural photo rather than a photoshop. The first thing that stood out to me were the blades of grass that you placed then blurred in the foreground. Don't do that, oddly it looks like the DOF from something like MW2, play around with it till it looks like something that you can see in a photo

you might want to wait for someone else's opinion though, I've been too busy with illustrator to work with ps so my advice might not be so useful.

Edited:

Ah yes one more thing too, your grass is like a flat carpet, there's no dimension. Go over it with a brush to make it look like it's actually 3D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,392 Posts
    very useful
    it's hard to find some good exploitable grass so I just used Photoshop brushes, I'll try fuckin' around with it some more and do what you said. the lens flare you see is placed directly on top of the sun, but i'll just try not going with the lens flare.

34. Post #514
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    oh it looked like the circle was the lens flare and the sun was behind those clouds. anyway, lurk some CG forums for really high res textures

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,392 Posts
    I wish the format was more like this

36. Post #516
    July 2011
    57 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

37. Post #517
    September 2011
    868 Posts
    Does any one know of any amazing Japanese tattoo artists?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #518
    June 2009
    867 Posts

ideas??
    Why not use the 3D program to shop the text into a photo instead, like

If that's no option, then I'll say this.

The lighting seems to come from multiple point lamps, instead of the sun and bounced light?

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,392 Posts
    i'm not sure how to make bounced light, and I don't own any 3D programs :(
    it does come from 4 light sources though

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,143 Posts
    Beautiful Disaster
    Youíre an inferno in an alchemy shop,
    A flood in the desert.
    Iím the trunk of a tree,
    A poorly made bed.
    Youíre a streaming river, running wild and free.
    Iím a jagged edged cliff, abrupt and sharp.
    Together we create a beautiful and dangerous wonder,
    power measured by sight, for most dare not stand too close.
    Unbridled destruction leaving perfectly symmetrical smooth surfaces.
    You are a phoenix, perpetually rising from your own ashes.
    You are beautiful; dilapidating to propagate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)