1. Post #6361
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,881 Posts
    I wonder why ForgottenKane has disagreed every post that says this except for this one
    Does it matter? They're ratings, they're not supposed to be explanatory nor completely comprehensive, rather emotional and reactionary.

Plus this is completely off-topic and not correlating to the thread at all

If you care about my opinion so much then just PM me, it's much simpler and doesn't derail the thread.

Edited:

WIP.

Listened to "In Storm and Sunshine" by John Heed on a loop while painting it so far
    I like it so far. I think the lightning is a little too straight though, try zig-zagging it some more.

EDIT: Pageking. Needs content.

A ~very~ WIP piece of mine. It'll look completely different when it's done.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #6362
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,348 Posts
    Does it matter? They're ratings, they're not supposed to be explanatory nor completely comprehensive, rather emotional and reactionary.

Plus this is completely off-topic and not correlating to the thread at all

If you care about my opinion so much then just PM me, it's much simpler and doesn't derail the thread.
    I just thought it was odd that you agreed with that post even though it was saying the same thing as the other ones you disagreed with.

But your'e right, irrelevant, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #6363
    June 2010
    2,726 Posts
    Ok, I'm going to go to sleep. I may or may not continue this tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

4. Post #6364
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,271 Posts
    That was pretty quick. Nice progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #6365
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts

I'd be tempted to change the aspect ratio to something wider, and again reinforce the suggestion to use some sort of horizontal line or lines to emphasis the speed of the plane, if that's the sort of action you're going for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6366
    May 2009
    1,777 Posts

May be it would be good to add highlights to the plane. It's wet and made of metal. Don't forget it, because now it looks like those army men plastic soldiers and tanks, the only difference is that your plane is yellow. And yeah, more glow to the lighting.

I like the overall mood though. Looks cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #6367
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,824 Posts
    I fucking love this new brush tool preset that I've been using lately.

Gives my brush strokes a really pencil/ chalky feel to it. Fucking love it, hnnngghh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #6368
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,960 Posts

Gives my brush strokes a really pencil/ chalky feel to it. Fucking love it, hnnngghh
    I really like the texture to the strokes like that, care to share your settings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #6369
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,014 Posts

:3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

10. Post #6370
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,824 Posts
    I really like the texture to the strokes like that, care to share your settings?
    They were tool presets that I used. I actually don't know where they originated from since my sister gave them to me, but you can try 'em out for yourself.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7835823/pen...re_presets.zip

Enjoy, bud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #6371
    July 2011
    345 Posts
    They were tool presets that I used. I actually don't know where they originated from since my sister gave them to me, but you can try 'em out for yourself.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7835823/pen...re_presets.zip

Enjoy, bud.
    this is bullshit, i cant give more then one medal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #6372
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    While not every painting needs to sport a complete value-range, I think Barnhouse's painting, which is of a gnarly monster, definitely does.

Imagine a horror-film with high-key lighting.

Edited:

or a sit-com with low-key!
    the only excuse i have is that the scene was very foggy and misty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #6373
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,170 Posts

Nice. You shouldn't mirror things though, it's pretty noticeable and fucks with your light source and stuff. Plus idk if you ever draw anything that isn't an anthro dragon, but if you drew a person and their face had perfect symmetry it would look really damn weird.

Edited:

EDIT: Pageking. Needs content.
    I have never known anyone around here to care about that "rule"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #6374
    June 2010
    2,726 Posts
    May be it would be good to add highlights to the plane. It's wet and made of metal. Don't forget it, because now it looks like those army men plastic soldiers and tanks, the only difference is that your plane is yellow. And yeah, more glow to the lighting.

I like the overall mood though. Looks cool.
    I wanted the plane to be made of wood, so that just further proves your point. I'll work some more on the texturing/rendering of the plane

I'd be tempted to change the aspect ratio to something wider, and again reinforce the suggestion to use some sort of horizontal line or lines to emphasis the speed of the plane, if that's the sort of action you're going for
    I understand completely what you're saying, but I wanted to show the plane moving in more of a precarious way than in a speedy and direct way. Unless of course, that idea really isn't working and I should change it.

Edited:

Nice. You shouldn't mirror things though, it's pretty noticeable and fucks with your light source and stuff. Plus idk if you ever draw anything that isn't an anthro dragon, but if you drew a person and their face had perfect symmetry it would look really damn weird.

Edited:

I have never known anyone around here to care about that "rule"
    Actually, if you're drawing a face, I think mirroring it is a great idea, so long as you're still blocking out the shapes and haven't added any lighting or details yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #6375
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,303 Posts
    now, i don't know, but it seems like mirroring in drawing would be pretty frowned upon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #6376
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,292 Posts
    now, i don't know, but it seems like mirroring in drawing would be pretty frowned upon
    Eh, depends on what you care about.

"Artistic integrity" or results.

Always better to be able to do everything from scratch as it gives it more life. But tools are tools, if you want something done fast (especially for commercial purposes) then why not use it? As long as it looks good I mean. What salmonmarine said there sounds like a good way to keep it good whilst improving speed (for some, others may find it slowing). Before you've detailed and shaded it, just blocked in the basic shape you can mirror it, and then refine it from there.

So if you're trying to learn, do something personal or anything like that then it's advisable to stay away from mirroring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

17. Post #6377
    June 2010
    2,726 Posts
    Also the standard for "artistic integrity" gets lower all the time. Digital media in general used to be considered cheating, and now practices like integrating photographs into paintings and re-using old implements for new work is commonplace.

18. Post #6378
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,170 Posts
    "Artistic integrity" or results.
    Both of those suffer if you mirror your drawings so I don't get where you're coming from
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #6379
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,292 Posts
    Both of those suffer if you mirror your drawings so I don't get where you're coming from
    Uh, no they don't.

It depends on the style you're going for (some work benefits from mirroring, especially vector based works with focus on geometrical shapes and symmetry) and how much you refine it afterwards to mask the mirroring.

20. Post #6380
    June 2010
    2,726 Posts
    I accidentally saved an 8000x6000 8 layer image as .PNG before resizing it

i believe in you, computer

Edited:

Success!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_68fCPyo-A
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #6381
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,824 Posts
    I only mirrored 'cuz I'm on a tight schedule and I needed this to be done asap for a profile ID elsewhere. But yeah I'll try to avoid mirroring when it's more important and time isn't an issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

22. Post #6382
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts

How do you guys think this one compares to my previous one?

gonna try selling some art soon, just wondering what sort of thing works on either of these, and what could be tweaked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

23. Post #6383
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,982 Posts
    they'd look good in a illustration for a book or something.
    imo the grass in the orignal one looks better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #6384
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    Yeah I think I prefer the grass in the original too. I don't really like the grass much in either though, but I'm having a hard time thinking how else I can do it in such a way that it wouldn't be distracting. Also not a big fan of the beards, so I may work something else out for that.

Also, I initially planned to draw them onto these moleskine notebooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moleskine-Ru...3593442&sr=1-2
    Do you think that'd be a good idea or should I opt for just doing it on some nice, quality brown paper?

25. Post #6385
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,881 Posts

oh god

repressed memories of the dmt are coming back

Edited:

It's very nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #6386
    nox
    March 2007
    2,203 Posts
    A portrait from an etching, I tried to preserve some of the etched look with the lines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

27. Post #6387
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,982 Posts
    Yeah I think I prefer the grass in the original too. I don't really like the grass much in either though, but I'm having a hard time thinking how else I can do it in such a way that it wouldn't be distracting. Also not a big fan of the beards, so I may work something else out for that.

Also, I initially planned to draw them onto these moleskine notebooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moleskine-Ru...3593442&sr=1-2
    Do you think that'd be a good idea or should I opt for just doing it on some nice, quality brown paper?
    brown paper
    you can get coloured moleskin notebooks too I think

28. Post #6388
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,698 Posts
    Here's a Portal project I'm working on. You can download the psd HERE. It's 4x2 feet because I plan on putting it in a fluorescent light fixture. You'll need THIS font.

Sample:
    Also you can find all of the icons at the bottom of the sign HERE in case you wanna make coasters or hang em up on your wall. They're 3,000 x 3,000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #6389
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    Here's a Portal project I'm working on. You can download the psd HERE. It's 4x2 feet because I plan on putting it in a fluorescent light fixture. You'll need THIS font, I think. I'm not 100% sure if that's the right link, it's been a while since I downloaded it.

Sample:

You want to be careful using non-professional fonts. Unless designed by somebody who knows what they're doing you could run into issues. Seeing as you're only using this one for numbers, it's not too bad. But look at the spacing in the example between the J and the K and between the T and U.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

30. Post #6390
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,698 Posts
    You want to be careful using non-professional fonts. Unless designed by somebody who knows what they're doing you could run into issues. Seeing as you're only using this one for numbers, it's not too bad. But look at the spacing in the example between the J and the K and between the T and U.
    Double-checked and found the right one. But yeah, I was only looking for numbers here. I've never used it for anything else.

31. Post #6391
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts

Edited:

Success!

I'd try making either the plane body or wings a different colour, just to break up the plane into seperate bits.

Also probsably more shadow on the right-faces of the plane
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

32. Post #6392
    January 2011
    7,170 Posts
    Uh, no they don't.

It depends on the style you're going for (some work benefits from mirroring, especially vector based works with focus on geometrical shapes and symmetry) and how much you refine it afterwards to mask the mirroring.
    We're talking in general here, or faces if you want to be specific since that was the subject at hand. You can't say results don't suffer from mirroring because it benefits a very specific type of art every now and again (and geometrical vector work really isn't fine art but that's another kettle of fish)

The majority of art suffers in results, integrity and what you learn from doing the piece if mirrored.

And if you're spending enough time to completely mask the mirrored side of something, you might as well have drawn it, since if even one line is the same on both sides it sticks out like a sore thumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

33. Post #6393
    nox
    March 2007
    2,203 Posts
    Not to mention if you mirror things like eyes then you get a character who looks shell-shocked AKA "the thousand yard stare". Slight imperfections and unsymmetrical features gives charm and character. The whole mirror thing seems like something DeviantArt kiddies would do to avoid putting in effort to learn how to draw eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #6394
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    on the topic of mirroring faces, I don't know anyone who draws the complete left half of one face before doing the right (or vice versa) I mean don't people tend to draw the whole head at once?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #6395
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,292 Posts
    We're talking in general here, or faces if you want to be specific since that was the subject at hand. You can't say results don't suffer from mirroring because it benefits a very specific type of art every now and again (and geometrical vector work really isn't fine art but that's another kettle of fish)

The majority of art suffers in results, integrity and what you learn from doing the piece if mirrored.

And if you're spending enough time to completely mask the mirrored side of something, you might as well have drawn it, since if even one line is the same on both sides it sticks out like a sore thumb
    I'm saying it's a tool of trade and works in some situations and doesn't work in other situations. Geometrical shapes and lots of vector work in general greatly benefits from mirroring, that's why I used it as an example, but it's not like that's the end all be all of where mirroring is useful. If you're drawing mechanical designs then you would often want a lot of symmetry to it, so you can mirror a lot of the parts and touch them up, add different details and decals and it'll look good.

Also the subject at hand is mirroring, not what it's been used to. The drawing he made brought it up, but it's the technique that we're discussing, not "mirroring for drawing of faces".

How much you have to mask depends on how early in the process you did the mirroring. Again, mirroring when you have lots of details will make it suffer because the details will be flipped and just look odd as they have an opposite light source and so on. But for making shapes and creating symmetry mirroring can come in real handy and can improve your results as you're not winging it by eye. Then you do optical adjustments and mask out things that clearly makes it look mirrored, and voil.

36. Post #6396
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    Every technique, tool and process has a time and place. Use them subjectively and you'll be sweet.

If I'm doing a scene with heaps of near-identical aeroplanes in the distance, I probably won't paint them all individually. Copy and paste all up in that. Go over it a bit to fix perspective and make them a little unique by adding or subtracting details and shifting stuff around if you want.

An artist who wants to sell 10 copies of the same painting can choose not to repaint it 10 times; make a print.

'Artistic integrity'; what is that? Michaelangelo and all the Great Masters had studios where they employed people to do most of the work for them. Yes, they were great painters in their own right, but they worked smarter, not harder.

Some people shun the notion of doing a greyscale image then using layers to add flat colour to the image, using the greyscale to alter the brightness/darkness of these tones. Oil painters do monochromatic underpaintings and then paint over the top; the brightness/darkness of the underpainting shows through and affects the shade of the colours above. In both cases you have to go back and paint over the top to correct the warmth/coolness of parts of the image (etc) but it's the same principle.

tl;dr, if it works for you and for the style and idea you want to present, do it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #6397
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,271 Posts
    I know you've done it already, but may I have some suggestions?

Planes' bodies are made out of steel/metal plates. And those kinds of materials have strong reflection to lights. (I call it "SpecularMap myself, dunno about its real word)

Lightnings when stike cast a very strong and bright light. Unless you're miles miles away.

Besides, it's raining in the picture and If you can render wet surfaces, it would look really great.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #6398
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,151 Posts

The bottoms of the wings are lit kinda weird, I don't think there would be that much of rim lighting on the far side of the edge. It kinda looks cut and pasted with that lighting. Same goes for the wheels, I think they should be darker being behind the whole plane with the lightsource on the other side. The cockpit looks very self-illuminated too along with the pilot. And the stopped propeller looks very still and motionless (unless he's ditching the plane), I'd go for more blur and not visible propellers.

Edited:

Edited:

Success!

You have absolutely no reason to work on a canvas that large.

Edited:

And the highlights, like said above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

39. Post #6399
    July 2012
    12 Posts
    Hi, I'm an 18-years old artist with about 2 years of drawing under my belt. I'm currently interning as a character artist for a game project (creating attire designs for different factions).
    Anyways, I've been looking for people to critique my work since I'm still an amateur and a friend of mine showed me this site and looking forward toward any advice and tips you can share that would help improve my work.
    Here's the most recent concept I've done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12 (list)

40. Post #6400
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,271 Posts
    Neat. CAs don't have to be top notch, they just need to have enough info for other works like modeling, ect..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)