1. Post #7121
    May 2011
    189 Posts

really quick doodle :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

2. Post #7122
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,003 Posts

Edited:

Hard to find refs for giant mechanised floating cities inside huge caverns full of artificial light, so a bunch of it is just made up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #7123
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,312 Posts
    for some reason your stuff looks too unfinished even when you put a lot of effort to it. it's mostly because of the bluriness i guess, but it's pretty hard to explain. i know this one is far from finished but what i'm trying to say is that i can recognize your stuff from this overall blurriness and unstable shapes. i mean, look at that city, it looks all wonky. your color blending isn't good either.

that's my criticism i guess, so i'm SORRY if i sounded harsh, but you haven't changed much in quite a few months and i'd recommend doing some photostudies to get an actual grip of shape defining etc. i remember telling you this a few months ago so it sucks to see you haven't improved much.

you have great ideas and great concepts, but you can't seem to translate them nicely, so it comes out really wonky, blurry and undefined. if you take time to perfect your skills you'll do your ideas justice.

Edited:

oh and btw, it doesn't look like a cave. it looks like a dude standing on cliff before a huge floating city on the sky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #7124
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,034 Posts
    Not the masterpiece I promised, but I've always wanted to do a still of this scene. I think Ian McKellen has probably my favourite face ever.

click it for a high res scan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #7125
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    I tried to do a quick sketch of Kardan from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.

I failed miserably.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

6. Post #7126
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,003 Posts
    for some reason your stuff looks too unfinished even when you put a lot of effort to it. it's mostly because of the bluriness i guess, but it's pretty hard to explain. i know this one is far from finished but what i'm trying to say is that i can recognize your stuff from this overall blurriness and unstable shapes. i mean, look at that city, it looks all wonky. your color blending isn't good either.

that's my criticism i guess, so i'm SORRY if i sounded harsh, but you haven't changed much in quite a few months and i'd recommend doing some photostudies to get an actual grip of shape defining etc. i remember telling you this a few months ago so it sucks to see you haven't improved much.

you have great ideas and great concepts, but you can't seem to translate them nicely, so it comes out really wonky, blurry and undefined. if you take time to perfect your skills you'll do your ideas justice.

Edited:

oh and btw, it doesn't look like a cave. it looks like a dude standing on cliff before a huge floating city on the sky.
    Hey thanks dude!

The blurriness/spazzy edges of the city is down to the roughness of it all; I was going for more a loose impression of the place as opposed to a nice clean reference-quality render. By colour blending do you mean the actual colour choices or the lack of in-between colours to smooth out the change from light to shade (under the city in particular)?

I know it doesn't look like a cave; the idea is that the cave walls and ceilings are covered in strong blue lights that, when combined with the artificial sun, create a blue-sky-like atmosphere.

I think I've improved somewhat, especially looking at newer pieces like this but that's just my opinion. I'm still very frustrated by colour and form, especially when it's for subject matter that's not easily referencable (artificial ecosystems inside giant caves haha) and I know a lot of my works fall a bit flat in terms of realistic tones and surfaces

Also a quick little sketch from my sketchbook

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

7. Post #7127
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    1,500 Posts
    Another thing without ink :

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #7128
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,312 Posts
    Hey thanks dude!

The blurriness/spazzy edges of the city is down to the roughness of it all; I was going for more a loose impression of the place as opposed to a nice clean reference-quality render. By colour blending do you mean the actual colour choices or the lack of in-between colours to smooth out the change from light to shade (under the city in particular)?
    i mean the actual lack of in between colors, yup. that's something you always seem to lack on your pieces.

this one looks pretty good but the shapes aren't stable, they're not well defined. the windows and struts are jaggy but the rendering is definitely improved.

well, i say keep on working dude. you're a promising artist and you have amazing concepts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #7129
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,003 Posts
    i mean the actual lack of in between colors, yup. that's something you always seem to lack on your pieces.

this one looks pretty good but the shapes aren't stable, they're not well defined. the windows and struts are jaggy but the rendering is definitely improved.

well, i say keep on working dude. you're a promising artist and you have amazing concepts.

Ah yeah, thanks! To be honest with the in-between colours I haven't been focussing on clean rendering recently; it's all been about getting the idea or mood down in a really quick way. But what you're saying helps a lot!

I really want an aesthetic style similar to this which is full of wobbly-rendered stuff and low-opacity, but still manages to look brilliant.

What do you think about my actual colour choices nowadays? I'm starting to understand light and shadow better (more saturated shadows in the colour of the object for 'internal' shadows such as in crevices, less saturated, more ambient-light-coloured shadows for 'exposed' areas such as the shadow cast by a lamp post in a relatively open patch of concrete) but I know I still have a long way to go. I keep telling myself that I will reference as much as I can but I keep not referencing much at all, so my bad on that one

10. Post #7130
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,034 Posts
    I actually wonder if drawing lines would help your style, Maloof. It's funny, normally artists are taught to quickly ditch lines and render without them, but I think the style you have could profit with the addition of really precise lines. Your forms feel a little too loosely defined and I think precise lines would hold them together, since it feels too much like a bunch of shapes floating around, and don't feel like they're occupying space.

I think for a week you should try adopting a really line-heavy style, possibly just ditch colour altogether temporarily, just to try it out, and then maybe meet half way afterwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #7131
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,003 Posts
    I actually wonder if drawing lines would help your style, Maloof. It's funny, normally artists are taught to quickly ditch lines and render without them, but I think the style you have could profit with the addition of really precise lines. Your forms feel a little too loosely defined and I think precise lines would hold them together, since it feels too much like a bunch of shapes floating around, and don't feel like they're occupying space.

I think for a week you should try adopting a really line-heavy style, possibly just ditch colour altogether temporarily, just to try it out, and then maybe meet half way afterwards.
    Interesting! I'm really into my lines, probably shown in my comic, but when it comes to digital work I tend to render without them, going for a more volume-based method. I guess I've always tried to emulate those guys who get beautifully busy, fluid almost impasto concept art and it appears less from a bunch of well defined forms and more a bunch of (apparantly) quick and sporadic brush strokes. I guess I've always tried to emulate this to some extent, but it never works out that well because I just end up with solid splodges of flat colour.

I guess on one level I try to be all quick and fluid and then also on the other hand try to clean up all my edges and go for crispness, which leads to the hard-edged blobs of flat colour which I really don't like

12. Post #7132
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,034 Posts
    Maybe you could try emulating the style of those chinese mountain landscapes, since they're normally depicting the same scale as you, but they do it with strong, distinct marks. I don't have an image editor on this laptop but I imagine most of your digital stuff looks really bland when it's desaturated because all of your forms (which are almost always really really interesting, narratively) relies so much on such subtle changes in hue. I say just work in a really line intensive style for a short while and go for shitloads of contrast so you get something that looks great even when it's desaturated.

Those are just my thoughts anyway! You have some of the most interesting compositional ideas of anyone here (which I am incredibly jealous of since that's where I desperately need to improve the most) but they're let down by something (imo your values/lack of lines/indistinct forms, which I think are more or less the same thing).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #7133
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,003 Posts
    Maybe you could try emulating the style of those chinese mountain landscapes, since they're normally depicting the same scale as you, but they do it with strong, distinct marks. I don't have an image editor on this laptop but I imagine most of your digital stuff looks really bland when it's desaturated because all of your forms (which are almost always really really interesting, narratively) relies so much on such subtle changes in hue. I say just work in a really line intensive style for a short while and go for shitloads of contrast so you get something that looks great even when it's desaturated.

Those are just my thoughts anyway! You have some of the most interesting compositional ideas of anyone here (which I am incredibly jealous of since that's where I desperately need to improve the most) but they're let down by something (imo your values/lack of lines/indistinct forms, which I think are more or less the same thing).
    I don't have time to write a proper response to this at the moment, but thanks so much dude; for the advice and the compliment! It means a lot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #7134
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,312 Posts
    maloof, your colors are interesting and calm, so keep up with that. i'd work with a bit more contrast but that's just me. focus on your shape definition and avoid wobbly/blurry looking stuff. you can make it wobbly (like that picture you showed on your reply) if that's your style, but you should notice his stuff looks really well defined and he doesn't get wonky windows, etc. it looks natural, hard to explain.

good luck i guess :)

Edited:

and i'm sorry if i'm having a hard time explaining all this, i'm brazilian so that's as far as my vocabulary goes :p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

15. Post #7135
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,520 Posts
    I got my tablet today, and had just read 1984, so I decided to draw the ministry of love

It's the first thing i've ever drawn besides random doodles, ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #7136
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    739 Posts
    Why buy a tablet if you've never drawn before?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #7137
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    5,122 Posts
    I got my tablet today, and had just read 1984, so I decided to draw the ministry of love

perspective on the text is off, the second box too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #7138
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,691 Posts
    Maybe because he wants to learn or has it for other uses? I use mine purely for texturing yet I can't draw a simple box nicely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #7139
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,520 Posts
    perspective on the text is off, the second box too.
    I'm aware that the perspective of the text is off, the second box is meant to be wedge-shaped going to the left.

I'm sure that there are millions of problems with it, please tell me all of them so I can get better, I am pretty artistically challenged.

Edited:

I dunno, maybe it's the fact that i've always been more comfortable around computers. I was raised with a PC that I fixed the broken parts on when I was 6, and always prefer to do things on the computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

20. Post #7140
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,860 Posts

this didnt turn out the way i planned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

21. Post #7141
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    5,122 Posts
    I'm aware that the perspective of the text is off, the second box is meant to be wedge-shaped going to the left.
    oh, my bad then

22. Post #7142
    March 2011
    3,418 Posts

Doubleplussorry for the unrail but I thought the Ministry was pyramid shaped?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #7143
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,232 Posts
    I tried to do a quick sketch of Kardan from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.

I failed miserably.

At least he still looks like him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #7144
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,520 Posts
    Doubleplussorry for the unrail but I thought the Ministry was pyramid shaped?
    plusuncorrect, last ministry of plenty pyramid from literature
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #7145
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,055 Posts
    Im going to break this picture up into multiple paintings, seeing as its a fairly wide view of the nebula. One for the upper spire, one for the lower, one for that cloud on the right. More opportunity for detail, and I could possibly merge them together if it looks right.

Mainly its just that doing the entire thing in one go would be a pain in the ass, and I would lose interest halfway through and the rest would suffer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #7146
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,133 Posts
    Why buy a camera if you've never photographed before? Why buy a gaming keyboard if you've never played a game before? Why buy a HDTV if you've never watched a HD movie before?

Because people can, and it's a gateway to learn or experience something new.

Yes, it's absolutely most recommended to learn to draw properly on paper first. But it's not a must.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #7147
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,723 Posts
    Im going to break this picture up into multiple paintings, seeing as its a fairly wide view of the nebula. One for the upper spire, one for the lower, one for that cloud on the right. More opportunity for detail, and I could possibly merge them together if it looks right.

Mainly its just that doing the entire thing in one go would be a pain in the ass, and I would lose interest halfway through and the rest would suffer.
    I think you could do so much cool stuff with what you can do already, like write letter shaped nebulas and such. Overall good work but I would do different stuff with it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #7148
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,087 Posts
    Maybe because he wants to learn or has it for other uses? I use mine purely for texturing yet I can't draw a simple box nicely.
    You must be loaded, can I have some of your vast wealth

Oh that's your photoref, I thought it was like a huge piece in PS at a glance

Ignore that rating I gave you! Go and earn it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

29. Post #7149
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,003 Posts
    Going for a more subdued, less super-saturated-everything-is-made-of-copper aesthetic for the game.

Quick undetailed mock-up

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #7150
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,087 Posts
    I like it, industrial scenes really float my boat. 10/10 for huge pipes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #7151
    September 2011
    405 Posts
    Not the masterpiece I promised, but I've always wanted to do a still of this scene. I think Ian McKellen has probably my favourite face ever.

click it for a high res scan

Fly you fools!

Ian McKellen is definitely one of my alltime favourite faces.
    If I could take one step onto the set of The Hobbit and see him dressed up as Gandalf...
    Anyway, this piece is definitely a step forward for you, solid effort!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #7152
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,034 Posts
    Every time I see Gandalf hugging one of the hobbits I am overcome with jealousy, I'm not gonna lie. And thanks! About 2/3 of the way through another lotr still. This one's a little out of my comfort zone because it's more about the scenery than the characters but it seems to be going well.

Edited:

I tried scanning this, but it looked SO bad because the scanner reflects so much light off of the dark areas and generally looks fucking awful, and this photograph doesn't do a fantastic job either. Just believe me when I say it looks better in person D:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #7153
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,312 Posts
    looks pretty messy, took me a while to figure out what was going on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #7154
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,133 Posts
    I tried scanning this, but it looked SO bad because the scanner reflects so much light off of the dark areas and generally looks fucking awful, and this photograph doesn't do a fantastic job either. Just believe me when I say it looks better in person D:

There is a reason we have image editing programs.

Scan it in and tweak it until it looks good enough. Remember that you can change settings on the scanner as well for contrast and brightness.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

35. Post #7155
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,055 Posts
    I think you could do so much cool stuff with what you can do already, like write letter shaped nebulas and such. Overall good work but I would do different stuff with it
    Ive been thinking about doing that. Maybe some other time. Right now I just want to paint nebulas as they are, or paint ships and stuff like that, because right now I really suck at ships.

36. Post #7156
    June 2010
    2,716 Posts
    Ive been thinking about doing that. Maybe some other time. Right now I just want to paint nebulas as they are, or paint ships and stuff like that, because right now I really suck at ships.
    Try sketching out a bunch of ideas for ships first. Talking from experience here, if you try and paint in a spacecraft without any predefined plan or idea, it won't look good.

For some reason I can make up people, clothing, equipment, and other vehicles as I go, but not spacecraft.

37. Post #7157
    May 2009
    374 Posts
    Drew a bike, sort of
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 30Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #7158
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,133 Posts
    "Boon Rules"

Oh you little bugger.

Fucking love that illustration though. Fantastic splitting whilst still retaining a nice and whole easily readable shape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #7159
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,055 Posts
    Should I make a sketchbook thread or keep it all in here?

40. Post #7160
    July 2006
    10,203 Posts
    Drew a bike, sort of
    love the style
    great energy to it and very original
    would like to see more of this kinda stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)