1. Post #2761
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    Just got H.R. Giger's Necronomicon, I intend to do some of my own interpretations of his work. Should I post them here, yay/nay?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

2. Post #2762
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,135 Posts
    I like to draw anime girls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2763
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,076 Posts

I sketched and stuff came out, I dunno.

Supposed to be a Husk Drone, conscripts turned to machine men that do shit. Not done nor do I think I will finish it.
    Line paper because it was the only thing I had within reach when I felt the urge to draw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

4. Post #2764
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,174 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

5. Post #2765
    January 2011
    1,260 Posts

There are some issues but I'm happy with how they turned out.
    I don't know why the blue one is bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

6. Post #2766
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    5,218 Posts
    Make the arms bigger, man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2767
    GOSH FUDGING DARNIT
    January 2008
    7,529 Posts

it keeps PROGRESSING
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

8. Post #2768
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,169 Posts

dewnes

Goddamnit I need to switch to SAI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

9. Post #2769
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,230 Posts
    You guys make me really happy, you know that?

This combined with my art classes makes me realize how much pure, uncapped creativity exists in the world. If everyone was given the chance to rise to their full artistic potential, the world would be flooded with incredible works (well, more than it is already).

Feels good, man. Also, my spray-paint stencil project went over really well, but unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, I'll get some next week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2770
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,535 Posts
    I do like that minor nudge edit though.

HOWEVER, dgg, ya gotta help me find a middle-ground here. I know you don't like people trying to draw animu style but I want to find something that's still stylized, not realistic. Clearly I lean eastern rather than western, I love Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's work and character style (though obviously a pinnacle of an anime style), and that's always influenced me, but if you want something much more toward realism, I love Endling's work, especially with lilith and ree.
    Just decrease the size of what you normally draw the closest eye, by a nudge. A 5% decrease in size is what I did when I moved it in a bit on the second one there. You just need to place the eye in accordance to a normal eye, thanks to layers you can just draw the eyes on a layer of their own and mess around trying to find that sweet spot where it looks good. Make a few drawings from different angles with the eyes in a layer of their own and find the eye placement you are satisfied with and use it for future reference.

I don't mind people drawing anime style. I mind people drawing terrible anime or copy poorly drawn anime from a show because they don't understand that the style is meant to be easy to animate and that even then they suffer from heaps of QUALITY because of budget and time constraints.

I'm not telling you to draw more towards realism, I'm telling you to draw your style with more realism in hand. As has always been said in this thread, stylization is based on realism. You need to draw what you want to draw, I'm just giving you tips based on what I personally think, if you disagree, then you disagree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

11. Post #2771
    Oh hey Wrex, I see your biceps have been stolen. Other then that you're looking good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

12. Post #2772
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,090 Posts
    Anyone have some muscle guides/tutorials? I'm drawing some for practice and I have no idea what I'm doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #2773
    When in Photoshop I've always painted with a normal, circular size-and-opacity pen pressure brush.
    Are there any better options for when doing different things?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2774
    DO YOU SLAP THE IMOUTO?YES/NO
    August 2010
    5,313 Posts
    my next objective is some cat oc

Is there any references or guides for drawing silly OC cats?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

15. Post #2775
    December 2009
    3,696 Posts

~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9 (list)

16. Post #2776
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,681 Posts
    What is your character description?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

17. Post #2777
    December 2009
    3,696 Posts
    What is your character description?
    it's called Z'thar, some kind of giant climbing beast in the grand canyons
    tried to make it look more reptilian cus previous one sucked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #2778
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,860 Posts
    its very mammalian front arms, hands and shoulders creep me out a bit. the fact i'm calling them shoulders is a bit weird too because really, as a quadruped, they should be hips

also the pose makes the shoulders look a bit out of perspective

maybe it should be more like this

where the blue lines show what you've got and the red lines show perhaps what the pose should resemble more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #2779
    December 2009
    3,696 Posts
    damn i realy fucked up the perspective on right arm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #2780
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    i thought it was intentional and the body was just meant to be turned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #2781
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,860 Posts
    well i kinda thought that but then the head isn't looking in that direction so it looks a bit unnatural
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #2782
    DO YOU SLAP THE IMOUTO?YES/NO
    August 2010
    5,313 Posts

Requests are fun when you know that DA has no standards to meet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #2783
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,637 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #2784
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

25. Post #2785
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    359 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #2786
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Gobstopper/ jawbreaker?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

27. Post #2787
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    Why do I suck so much at vectors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2788
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,206 Posts
    i like the picture but we have a whole photography section and i think you'd get better comments there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #2789
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    359 Posts
    Haha sorry. I haven't been on here for about two years so I didn't really know where to post it. Thanks though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events

30. Post #2790
    June 2008
    882 Posts
    WIP ceramic mask I made in my ceramics class, unfired and unglazed/painted so far, but the shape, details, etc are all finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

31. Post #2791
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,538 Posts
    WIP ceramic mask I made in my ceramics class, unfired and unglazed/painted so far, but the shape, details, etc are all finished.
    Seeing sweet stuff like this makes it all the more hilarious how awful everyone at my school is at ceramics. Our school can barely produce a smooth pot haha. I love your design.

32. Post #2792
    June 2008
    882 Posts
    Seeing sweet stuff like this makes it all the more hilarious how awful everyone at my school is at ceramics. Our school can barely produce a smooth pot haha. I love your design.
    Most kids in my class have masks that look like this so far and they think they've got the proportions for a face all right.

and I'm already starting my second mask, which is a leaf. While I'm no good with the wheel, the advanced class at my school has some real talent. Our instructor is quite good himself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

33. Post #2793
    June 2010
    3,467 Posts
    Sweet, dude.

I'm like a mentally handicapped child when it comes to clay. Respect

34. Post #2794
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,319 Posts
    Highlights shouldn't be just white slapped on the form. Lighting and shadow on something will always derive from its local colour. You've kind of got it happening on the tail so I don't know why you did otherwise on the limbs - as best I can tell the creature is a combination of amber and burnt sienna, so like you've done on the tail you'll want to use some really warm ochres and yellows to light up his arms/leg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2795
    August 2011
    5,218 Posts

So I tried to draw a human figure using one of those wooden pose doll things as a ref.
    Keyword: Tried.

Still, not giving up. Someday I'll get good at this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #2796
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,295 Posts
    i think you need to do some still life and then life drawing before you move on to making your own characters and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2797
    August 2011
    5,218 Posts
    i think you need to do some still life and then life drawing before you move on to making your own characters and such.
    Well, I have been. I just had the figure so I slapped a ton of shit on it.

But you have a point, thanks.

38. Post #2798
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2010
    1,401 Posts

Sorry it's not very refined. I mainly made it because of a pun on a forum. "Alf-life"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #2799
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,169 Posts
    I tried SAI and did this in 20 minutes. Im not really a speedpainter

Im liking it so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #2800
    May 2011
    3,068 Posts
    I wanted to ask you guys, I like abstract painting-like things such as this:

And scifi things like this:

What are some art pieces you like that incorporate some of those things?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)