12,134 Posts
    what are masking layers

it sounds extremely useful since i draw outside of my lines
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #3402
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,064 Posts
    We had a collab a while ago, it was great fun but people got bored of it while it was fairly unfinished.

That was the last update I have on my HD but I think it went a bit further than that.
    no i didn't mean a collab like one of those communal drawing things where everyone draws at the same time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3403
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2006
    7,121 Posts
    no i didn't mean a collab like one of those communal drawing things where everyone draws at the same time
    Maybe we could do something where there's a brief description, then we all draw something based on that description at the same time with a relaxed time limit and see what everyone comes up with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #3404
    December 2009
    3,692 Posts

at viper, i was thinking of a Creature-of-the-week thread. a description a week and people get to use their full imagination to draw it out, simple and inspiring!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #3405
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,548 Posts
    at viper, i was thinking of a Creature-of-the-week thread. a description a week and people get to use their full imagination to draw it out, simple and inspiring!
    That's something we should organize on, as some regular event on this section, with different subjects (creature, character, fashion design, backgrounds, etc...).

Should we create a General Thread or separate threads each week though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

6. Post #3406
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,452 Posts
    if there's one thing I've learned from organizing things, it's to do it as a general thread with short deadlines, and not have it a long drawn-out thing. I'd say maybe make topics daily or just 'whenever someone comes up with a good idea'. Weekly seems like the thread would die down fast. I've seen a few tumblrs that do 30 minute challenges every night where they'll announce a subject and open their submit box for 10 or 15 minutes after the half hour's passed.

speaking of which I still haven't heard from doggy whether or not that book made it. I sent two that haven't come back, after one flat out returned to sender way back in the day

a year and a half ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #3407
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,118 Posts
    I'd be keen for a daily/spontaneous topic thread. We'd need a formatting system so that people could easily find the suggested topics in amongst all the discussion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

8. Post #3408
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,478 Posts
    Yeah we've had a lot of weekly contests and such. They all died out in less than a month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3409
    September 2011
    868 Posts

Man I love the style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3410
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,118 Posts

Symmetricalish clouds look a bit too unnatural

Otherwise it's nice, very good experimental/adventurous method

11. Post #3411
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,478 Posts
    what are masking layers

Draw something on a layer in Photoshop (usually a silhouette).

Make a new layer above it. Right click on the layer, choose "make clipping mask".

Draw in new layer and notice how nothing goes outside of the shape you drew in the silhouette.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3412
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,118 Posts
    Yeah we've had a lot of weekly contests and such. They all died out in less than a month.
    Don't be so pessimistic, dageegee!

13. Post #3413
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,478 Posts
    Don't be so pessimistic, dageegee!
    I was just building upon what Dajitsu said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3414
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    5,189 Posts
    I saw a video on drawing digitally, I decided to give it a shot.
    Drew Skrillex if he was marine fowl for shits and giggles. Canadian geese are the best.

This is the first thing I've ever drawn digitally. Hooray.
    I'm gonna try to shade/color it. Then I can join the ranks of Deviantart as another 15 year-old below average vector artist!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #3415
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,118 Posts
    Speedy

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

16. Post #3416
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,924 Posts
    wip

probably shouldn't have rendered it this far but thats fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #3417
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,212 Posts
    SH inspired?

I like it a lot in any case
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

18. Post #3418
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,469 Posts
    I always found it amazing how some people can do landscapes like this one that immediately convey an entire atmosphere and manages to grasp you the instant you see it.

I wish I was able to do that, all my landscapes look dull and very generic no matter how hard I try.

Edited:

what are masking layers

On photoshop it's basically a secondary layer that's bound to a primary one and that determines where you can and can't draw.

The easiest way to create a mask is to create a layer, slightly decrease the layer's alpha level so it's slightly transparent and fill the zone you want to turn into a mask with a solid color like red.

Once you have created your mask by filling all the zones you want to be able to draw with red, click on the layer tab, then create a new fusion mask, then "from alpha" or something (my photoshop is in French so I can't give the English names). Your layer will now have a mask, which shows up as a new layer at the right of the primary one. What you can edit is shown on the thumbnail as white, everything else is black. Make sure you have selected the primary layer (not the mask), select everything and delete.

You now have a functional mask that allows you to draw restrictedly in a defined zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #3419
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    Okidoki! I'm glad to! Here's a list of non-drama art communities that focuses on art instead of drama:

CGHUB
    Crimson Daggers
    Conceptart.org
    artgrounds
    tsofa.com (the society of figurative art, one of my favorites)
    wecoockart.com

Seriously, joining one of them is like enough since you get so much feedback from so many artists on those sites.
    /ic/
    Really good advice there.
    Unless you're an over-emotional and spineless and are unable to think critically or take everything with a grain of salt.

this place here sucks
    Conceptart is a massive circlejerk and I don't know about others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #3420
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,955 Posts

My friend wanted me to draw a vulture/wolf type creature.
    I like this because of reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #3421
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,734 Posts
    what are masking layers

Layer masks are ways to hide and show; a way to act with a layer in a highly non-destructive way.

To create a Clipping Mask you simply select a layer above the intended mask and right click > create clipping mask. Depending on the color of the content in the layer below, different results may appear. I chose black as it is a comfortable color to ground the drawing on, and in this example the black is the post-sketch result of the character's silhouette.

To create a Vector Mask (or a Pixel Mask) you select a layer and click on the Mask Button (the bottom of the picture) to create a limited area of which the layer content is showed. Selecting the mask layer instead of the original layer it's attached to allows you to draw with either black or white (they're automatically grey scales for the purpose of being able to fade; a mid-grey color would show the layer content 50% and so on.
    In this example I've selected the 3D cube form by CTRL+clicking its layer icon and then selected the layer I wanted to mask and clicked the Mask Button. The result would be a pre-made mask of what you already had selected. After that I continued to draw inside the cube.

Hope that clears things up for you, try it out and play around with it. It's easier than you might think!

Edited:

On photoshop it's basically a secondary layer that's bound to a primary one and that determines where you can and can't draw.

The easiest way to create a mask is to create a layer, slightly decrease the layer's alpha level so it's slightly transparent and fill the zone you want to turn into a mask with a solid color like red.

Once you have created your mask by filling all the zones you want to be able to draw with red, click on the layer tab, then create a new fusion mask, then "from alpha" or something (my photoshop is in French so I can't give the English names). Your layer will now have a mask, which shows up as a new layer at the right of the primary one. What you can edit is shown on the thumbnail as white, everything else is black. Make sure you have selected the primary layer (not the mask), select everything and delete.

You now have a functional mask that allows you to draw restrictedly in a defined zone.
    Also what Ganerumo said, didn't see his post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #3422
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,245 Posts
    Well, I've never really messed with 3DS Max before. After a couple of days trying to get the hang of things, I managed to take about 4 hours today and made some things for my friends. These are pretty much my first renders in 3DS Max.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #3423
    May 2009
    1,806 Posts
    Concept of the refinery for the game we're making... or at least trying to make
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

24. Post #3424
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,973 Posts

For the game I'm making for Ludum Dare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #3425
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #3426
    September 2010
    761 Posts
    Something about those butt cheeks looks a little off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #3427
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    492 Posts
    My attempt at making a background for an animated series.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #3428
    Something about those butt cheeks looks a little off.
    they look like she's clenching tightly but from her stanc and angle etc she couldn't be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #3429
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    I designed some futuristic fashion and tech. The poses are reffed, btw.

The year is 2050:
    - "Geniusphones" will make your phone an even bigger part of your day. By hooking up with your body it warns you about low bloodsugar, monitors stress and so forth etc. Just be careful to read Apple's terms and agreements- they may or may not steal your genome.
    - Augmentations will let war veterans once again play catch with their son, or just give people that extra edge they've always wanted. Runs on diesel.
    - Google's HUD-visor is reality. Informs you about the best jogging-routes, nearby cafs and an app that recognizes faces and adds mustaches to them.
    - Life has been found on Mars- and thus fox fur is obsolete.
    - Acid washed jeans make a glorious comeback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

30. Post #3430
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,735 Posts
    The pose just feels unnatural
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #3431
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    i'd be terrified if a chick was trying to lure me towards her, with a clenched fist. loosen it up. do some gestural studies.

also, if you want to attain a sensual feel you might want to soften up the lighting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #3432
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,118 Posts
    Modelled a very basic 3D base to get the perspective right because I had always thought that /extreme/ 2 point perspective such as this used lens distortion (thus curved lines) to achieve the effect. After tracing some perspective lines on it I realised that it's all just straight lines!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

33. Post #3433
    April 2012
    71 Posts
    experimented with a bunch of things tonight

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

34. Post #3434
    October 2011
    2,338 Posts
    quick one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #3435
    June 2010
    3,465 Posts
    experimented with a bunch of things tonight

Like LSD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #3436
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,820 Posts
    do some gestural studies.
    Aight

Did some

while doin those this picture came up and i couldn't help but burst out laughing.
    http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/f_nud...y_jjsphoto.jpg

really not much you can say about a buncha stick figures

i just wanted to post pineapple lady
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #3437
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,118 Posts
    Fixing composition,

y/n?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #3438
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,478 Posts
    Fixing composition,

y/n?

All focus is lost. The glory to the building is no longer present.

I find the composition perfect in the previous one.

Also your defined light source is from the right, behind the camera, not from the top of the building. Adding a bright blue spot behind the building just immensely crashes with the light source of the building. It worked better before because the light source doesn't really need to be visible. You should define this on the pole the building is supported by as well though, because right now it has a different light source compared to the building.

39. Post #3439
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    My latest game, in the spirit of summer.

A must-play for all fans of extreme sports!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 10Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #3440
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,548 Posts
    goty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events