1. Post #121
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    Especially since tons of people are hailing it as "GOTY all years" despite the ATROCIOUS number of bugs and balance issues, not to mention how shallow the game's pitiful attempts at deep storylines are. And then the rabid fans say "well read the books!" I have read the books. Not only are they also shallow, but it is bad game design to literally force your gamers to read a book in order to get the story at all while playing, rather than integrating it into the gameplay and letting them experience it. It's not just an exaggeration that the game (and the rest of the series) is like "reading a book" in this case!

Despite this, I have poured many hours into the game in a desperate attempt to find the "perfect" character for me, only to delete the character when I blaze to level 40, have all of the best gear/nigh-endless money, and still have a shipload of quests to do. Not to mention an inventory that refuses to empty up so I can actually loot things.

Oh, and mods. Kind of sad when a game's saving grace is its non-multiplayer community.
    Atrocious number of bugs and balance issues? Did you ever look at Oblivion? That game was given even more initial praise and hype, and it had balance issues and horrible bugs right out of the gate (Not that that's any excuse for the bugs and balance issues in Skyrim, but I wouldn't call them ATROCIOUS). I don't really see how they are "forcing" people to read the books to "Get the story", I rarely read any of the lore and I had a pretty good understanding of what was happening, they explain it well enough that someone uninformed would probably understand why they're doing things. I agree on the attempts at "deep writing", though, Bethesda should really stop being naive enough to think that they can write really great plots.

I feel that you're overreacting a little bit. Honestly, the reason so many people have said that it's "GOTY all years" is because they never really look too deeply into it, they're just happy to have another Elder Scrolls game with freedom and exploration, and the ability to put buckets over people's heads and kill chickens for no discernible reason. It's only when you really get into it that you start to really notice the flaws, and that two people having a serious conversation about some plot point in one of the quests while staring blankly at you because some tosser at Bethesda decided to make everyone stare at you half the time if they've detected you eventually stops being funny and starts being annoying and immersion-breaking as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

2. Post #122
    I DRAW SEALS
    March 2009
    6,043 Posts
    If you downloaded Tytanis, you're fucked either way.
    Thank god I didn't. The only mods I have installed are basic in-data mods, an ENB, midas magic, and thuumic. That's the one I'm mostly concerned about, what with the silent shouts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #123

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Atrocious number of bugs and balance issues? Did you ever look at Oblivion? That game was given even more initial praise and hype, and it had balance issues and horrible bugs right out of the gate. I don't really see how they are "forcing" people to read the books to "Get the story", I rarely read any of the lore and I had a pretty good understanding of what was happening, they explain it well enough that someone uninformed would probably understand why they're doing things. I agree on the attempts at "deep writing", though, Bethesda should really stop being naive enough to think that they can write really great plots.

I feel that you're overreacting a little bit. Honestly, the reason so many people have said that it's "GOTY all years" is because they never really look too deeply into it, they're just happy to have another Elder Scrolls game with freedom and exploration, and the ability to put buckets over people's heads and kill chickens for no discernible reason. It's only when you really get into it that you start to really notice the flaws, and that two people having a serious conversation about some plot point in one of the quests while staring blankly at you because some tosser at Bethesda decided to make everyone stare at you half the time if they've detected you eventually stops being funny and starts being annoying and immersion-breaking as fuck.
    I was pointing out the whole "read a book" thing because people like to claim that the Elder Scrolls series has a deep and thought-out (and sometimes confusing) storyline despite 80%+ of the story being locked away in text-only format. Not counting the text-only dialogue before Oblivion, that is.

And Oblivion may have had worse balance, but it still didn't have as many noticable, glaring bugs as Skyrim. Like having the main quest require being fixed by manually extracting sound data files. Or being frozen in combat by a glitched finishing move. Or shouts refusing to work for 30 seconds because "you can't change shouts while shouting" despite you not having used one in over ten minutes. Or dragons derping out and doing...weird stuff (thankfully mostly fixed now). Or an NPC constantly attempting to talk to you. Or hotkeys not staying when you have more than one of a particular object. Or the many other weird things that can and probably will happen to the average player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    There, I've now completed a save for every race in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,346 Posts

WHY do people think this looks good?

The roofs are as red as a fire engine and everything else looks like it was sprayed with ketchup
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 9 (list)

6. Post #126

August 2011
    5,969 Posts

The roofs are as red as a fire engine and everything else looks like it was sprayed with ketchup
    The creator specifically mentions that it's oversaturated on his setup because of the ENB config he is using.

7. Post #127
    November 2009
    9,273 Posts
    I just finished The Wolf Queen Awakened... On accident... Running from guards after having killed the priests in the Temple of the Divines.

And I've not even done the prerequisite quest, so I'll have to do it again if I want to do that quest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #128
    November 2010
    1,429 Posts
    I bought skyrim on the 360 (I thoroughly regret doing so, toss as many boxes at me as you deem appropriate) since I feared that my PC would not be able to run it well.

According to system requirements lab, all my specs are meeting recommended (or better) except my video card (ASUS made ATI HD 6450).

My specs:

-Win 7
    -AMD Phenom II x6 1065T
    -EAH6450 (Asus made ATI radeon HD 6450)
    -8 GB DDR3 RAM
    -1 TB hard drive

Can that run skyrim fairly well (if not, at least better than the 360 version)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

9. Post #129
    November 2009
    9,273 Posts
    I bought skyrim on the 360 (I thoroughly regret doing so, toss as many boxes at me as you deem appropriate) since I feared that my PC would not be able to run it well.

According to system requirements lab, all my specs are meeting recommended (or better) except my video card (ASUS made ATI HD 6450).

My specs:

-Win 7
    -AMD Phenom II x6 1065T
    -EAH6450 (Asus made ATI radeon HD 6450)
    -8 GB DDR3 RAM
    -1 TB hard drive

Can that run skyrim fairly well (if not, at least better than the 360 version)?
    Yeah, you would have been fine. I get 30FPS on low on my 2008 MBP, so you could've gotten a multiple of that.

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,508 Posts

I can understand why certain people could like similar configs, I personally like the fact that it's full of colors, I do think that it is WAYYY over done, I'm just saying if done right, a config that would make the game more colorful could really look good.

This config in particular reminds me a bit of world of warcraft where every single roofs are red.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #131
    September 2008
    416 Posts
    I fixed the links (I hope)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Artistic Artistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    November 2010
    1,429 Posts
    Yeah, you would have been fine. I get 30FPS on low on my 2008 MBP, so you could've gotten a multiple of that.
    Well, fuck me I am dumb. Thanks for the input. I heard the 6450 was shit so I was hesitant to gamble on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    I was pointing out the whole "read a book" thing because people like to claim that the Elder Scrolls series has a deep and thought-out (and sometimes confusing) storyline despite 80%+ of the story being locked away in text-only format. Not counting the text-only dialogue before Oblivion, that is.
    Ah, the way you worded it, it sounded like you were complaining about the main plots being confusing. Also yeah those people are stupid, and while the lore can be somewhat interesting, it once again falls apart when you start reading deeper into it and try to connect any of it together.

And Oblivion may have had worse balance, but it still didn't have as many noticable, glaring bugs as Skyrim. Like having the main quest require being fixed by manually extracting sound data files. Or being frozen in combat by a glitched finishing move. Or shouts refusing to work for 30 seconds because "you can't change shouts while shouting" despite you not having used one in over ten minutes. Or dragons derping out and doing...weird stuff (thankfully mostly fixed now). Or an NPC constantly attempting to talk to you. Or hotkeys not staying when you have more than one of a particular object. Or the many other weird things that can and probably will happen to the average player.
    Hmm, I'm sort of indecisive as to if I agree with this or not. The Esburn glitch is just downright unacceptable, especially after it's gone unfixed for this long, but a lot of the other stuff is equally as stupid as the bugs in Oblivion, they just seem more glaring in Skyrim because the game has more of a generally natural look and feel to it, whereas Oblivion without bugs is still "The Adventures of Martin Septim and Random Idiot Adventurer in the Meadow of the Potato Faces".

The Esburn glitch is bad enough that I could say the bugs are worse than Oblivion, though. That shit is just horrific.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    July 2010
    928 Posts
    So how is the skyrim workshop going to work? Will steam just automatically recognize that you have skyrim and download it or is it open for anyone and you have to manually download it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

15. Post #135
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    So how is the skyrim workshop going to work? Will steam just automatically recognize that you have skyrim and download it or is it open for anyone and you have to manually download it?
    From what they've said, it's integrated with Steam and the Skyrim launcher, so you need to subscribe to the mod first (As it doesn't look like you can download it manually at all) and then go to the Skyrim launcher, which will then autoinstall the mod you subscribed to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #136

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Ah, the way you worded it, it sounded like you were complaining about the main plots being confusing. Also yeah those people are stupid, and while the lore can be somewhat interesting, it once again falls apart when you start reading deeper into it and try to connect any of it together.

Hmm, I'm sort of indecisive as to if I agree with this or not. The Esburn glitch is just downright unacceptable, especially after it's gone unfixed for this long, but a lot of the other stuff is equally as stupid as the bugs in Oblivion, they just seem more glaring in Skyrim because the game has more of a generally natural look and feel to it, whereas Oblivion without bugs is still "The Adventures of Martin Septim and Random Idiot Adventurer in the Meadow of the Potato Faces".

The Esburn glitch is bad enough that I could say the bugs are worse than Oblivion, though. That shit is just horrific.
    Honestly, the only glitch (not counting those induced by mods) I can recall from Oblivion was simply how crash-prone the game was. Plus a random bug that happened during the Paranoia quest that I only encountered after doing it twelve times across as many characters. I know there were many bugs, but the fact that I have encountered so many more during an average playing of Skyrim says something. Also the fact that I have to deal with annoying glitches every single time I play (like the hotkey or shout glitches I mentioned earlier, or NPCs bugging out and not initiating conversations properly, etc.).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    July 2010
    928 Posts
    From what they've said, it's integrated with Steam and the Skyrim launcher, so you need to subscribe to the mod first (As it doesn't look like you can download it manually at all) and then go to the Skyrim launcher, which will then autoinstall the mod you subscribed to.
    Sweet sounds like a fast process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,840 Posts
    Plan on buying a Coolermaster Hyper Evo and attempt to turn my Phenom II 550 into a quad instead of dual, think that's the only thing keeping me from running the game smoother.. If that doesn't work time to upgrade to a 2500k

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,968 Posts
    So is the workshop up now? Or is that coming later?

20. Post #140
    July 2010
    2,794 Posts
    So, if I take my savegame and copy it to the desktop then completely reinstall my skyrim, will that remove my mods without blowing anything important up?
    You should check some of the pages of the mods you downloaded. Try going into an instance (open a door that requires loading screen for example) and do nothing, save the game then try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #141
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,616 Posts
    i need to violate more laws my highest bountie is like 240
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

22. Post #142

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    i need to violate more laws my highest bountie is like 240
    Try having sex with the Emperor's mother and daughter while playing a rock guitar solo atop the dessicated corpse of Talos. That should get you a bounty.

kudos for getting the reference   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    237 Posts
    Anyone else getting bothered how npcs react to you being close to them?

If you stand close to them while they they're talking they'll sometimes suddenly shut up, move 5 steps back and sometimes obnoxiously say "HUH!?" . Pretty annoying when its important dialogue concerning a quest and its just all skipped over. Even bards do it while singing.

Yet companions will NEVER move out of the way in a narrow area.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

24. Post #144
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,613 Posts
    So I'm working on my Whiterun Guard costume, specifically the shield.

Needs to be painted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

25. Post #145

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    So I'm working on my Whiterun Guard costume, specifically the shield.

Needs to be painted.
    Looks like you took the legs off of a small table...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 5 (list)

26. Post #146
    November 2010
    1,429 Posts
    Try having sex with the Emperor's mother and daughter while playing a rock guitar solo atop the dessicated corpse of Talos. That should get you a bounty.

Yahtzee's review of Oblivion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

27. Post #147
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,342 Posts

Yahtzee Croshaw.

So I just finished the main quest, deemed it safe enough to enter this thread now. Goddamn, Bethesda keeps up it's tradition of amazing gameplay areas weakened by tissue thin plots. Both the dragon part and the civil war part were pretty boring, though a lot of the sidequests were fun and like always, exploration makes the game. And the backstory was engrossing as fuck. Bethesda always fucks somehow so that the story that happened in the past is infinitely better then the story happening in the present. Stuff like the Great War, the Red Mountain ker-ploding, the    Dark Brotherhood falling apart   , and a lot of other stuff is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #148

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Yahtzee Croshaw.

So I just finished the main quest, deemed it safe enough to enter this thread now. Goddamn, Bethesda keeps up it's tradition of amazing gameplay areas weakened by tissue thin plots. Both the dragon part and the civil war part were pretty boring, though a lot of the sidequests were fun and like always, exploration makes the game. And the backstory was engrossing as fuck. Bethesda always fucks somehow so that the story that happened in the past is infinitely better then the story happening in the present. Stuff like the Great War, the Red Mountain ker-ploding, the    Dark Brotherhood falling apart   , and a lot of other stuff is awesome.
    Bethesda hides all of the good story in books because they know they are terrible at creating cutscenes and animation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #149
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,342 Posts
    Bethesda hides all of the good story in books because they know they are terrible at creating cutscenes and animation.
    Yeah, which is fine because the books are awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #150
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    Yeah, which is fine because the books are awesome.
    Except this is a game. As close-minded and spergy as this will probably make me sound, I don't want to read a book when I'm playing a game, I want to make the decisions myself and experience the action myself, not have it described to me (No matter how well). What's the point of putting more effort into writing what is essentially just fluff to most people instead of the actual parts people will experience? Even if you're somewhat bound by the restrictions of animation, you can still pull the old "Just use your imagination" card, it can still work if you pull it off right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

31. Post #151
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,733 Posts
    Part 2 is up!

Part 1:

Part 2:

for "Make another!"
    for "I have a suggestion." (and then quote the post hurp durp)
    for "Don't."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 45Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1Winner x 1Useful x 1Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    Hahaha I just got   Mehrunes Razor   to proc on a dragon.

33. Post #153
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,342 Posts
    Except this is a game. I don't want to read a book when I'm playing a game, I want to make the decisions myself and experience the action myself, not have it described to me (No matter how well). What's the point of putting more effort into writing what is essentially just fluff to most people instead of the actual parts people will experience? Even if you're somewhat bound by the restrictions of animation, you can still pull the old "Just use your imagination" card, it can still work if you pull it off right.
    I'd much rather have information passed to me through other sources then just having some random NPC who, I dunno, gives me the entire history of Dwemer culture or something. The books fulfill the vital role of establishing the history of Tamriel through historians, and since historians write books, it all balances out. I mean, if you can't take two minutes to read Dwarves V. 4 but you can spend three hours making iron daggers, then it's your fault that the story feels incomplete. If this was an FPS, or an RTS or even Fallout 3 I'd be fine with all exposition being provided by NPCs, but this is a game where the culture lives in what seem to be an endless Dark Age. Intelligence and knowledge is not widespread. Scholars and historians write shit in books to educate the few that can read. Those books detail the events of the past.

Buuuuuuut you're right. It should not all be about reading pretend books that are only three pages long. Especially in Skyrim, where the Nords all live on oral tradition. It should be a much more even balance, maybe still somewhat skewed in favor of books, to gather story and knowledge.

Also, I wish Skyrim had more of a Scots influence. Too much viking for my liking. Ba-dum-tish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #154
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,613 Posts
    Looks like you took the legs off of a small table...?
    Haha, I suppose it does. Guess the images of what I started with might help.
    ->->
    Balsa wood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,711 Posts
    This will be complete and utter nightmare for mods that have optional ESP files, as well as require a specific load order.

I like the idea of auto-updating mods, but certain types of mods like texture replacers or mods that change similar things to other mods I'd never want an auto-update, because they need to be installed in a very specific order (i.e. I'm using a landscape texture mod and an ice texture mod, and want the ice texture to install over the landscape one).

Other mods would require certain things to be compatable if they were updated too. I.E. using PISE with Weapons of the Third Era. If you want to use both, you have to use the compatable version. If WotE were suddenly updated, it would break PISE completely untill PISE gets updated too. This would be a case where I wouldn't want WotE updated at all, untill PISE has a compatability patch put in.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,612 Posts
    really, there should be the ability to download any version of the mod that has been uploaded, and the option to subscribe to it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,711 Posts
    Except this is a game. As close-minded and spergy as this will probably make me sound, I don't want to read a book when I'm playing a game, I want to make the decisions myself and experience the action myself, not have it described to me (No matter how well). What's the point of putting more effort into writing what is essentially just fluff to most people instead of the actual parts people will experience? Even if you're somewhat bound by the restrictions of animation, you can still pull the old "Just use your imagination" card, it can still work if you pull it off right.
    Err everything you need to know about the lore and skyrim you can get from the game itself. Nobody is forcing you to read anything, and the game doesn't really rely on books for its story, they are there for backstory and interest.

Many locations, events, and NPC's are directly related to lore and backstory though. If you want to know more about certain things, you have books there, or if you just want general knowledge to read there are books too. I personally enjoy reading them.

You're pretty much complaining that you love the taste of cake but don't feel like going out and making one, and then complain that you don't have a cake served to you on a silver platter. I'm not sure why you are complaining when you are pretty much experiencing the "lore" of the land as-is just by playing. The only downside is that Bethesda are better world makers than they are quest designers or quest writers. They constantly adapt their lore in the game in various ways, its just much of the time either poorly paced, badly explained or could be better implemented.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,342 Posts
    Part 2 is up!

Part 1:

Part 2:

for "Make another!"
    for "I have a suggestion." (and then quote the post hurp durp)
    for "Don't."
    Oh man this is amazing. By Talos, keep them coming.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,421 Posts
    I decided to screw around with setrace for shits and giggles. First I turned myself into a Draugr.

Then I spawned an NPC version of Draugr-me.

When I killed her, she had a bunch of random loot.

Then I turned Lydia into one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Winner Winner x 3 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,968 Posts
    Make everyone you encounter a Draugr and return Skyrim to the ancient Nords.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Useful Useful x 1 (list)