1. Post #6761
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    I can't find any reason why someone thinks the colors of default Skyrim are good. It's just a palette of greys. ENB brings out some color and definition. SSAO alone is enough reason to use it.

Looks so good in motion
    I had to turn SSAO off on the config I use because it rapes the framerate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #6762
    UK is fucking terrible, don't live here.
    January 2012
    1,169 Posts
    A good ENB config looks loads better than the default washed-out colourless bullshit which is vanilla Skyrim.

Problem is, many ENB configs are NOT good.
    I'm going to say deal with it about the colourless bullshit part, i'm colour blind so i have to deal with it, so at least you get colour without having to turn your screens saturation levels up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #6763
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    Also I'm not entirely sure that Ulfric himself hates elves, it's only the citizens who take that stance because the Thalmor are evil and I can see how that would come about. Though, he allows it to take place in his city so I'm not prepared to give him much empathy in that aspect.
    Actually, I recall Ulfric does at one point call them all scum or something similar. If you ask him why he fights or something then he goes off on some huge rant about the elves and how they derk hees peeples jerbs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #6764
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,675 Posts
    Actually, I find ENB to be the exact opposite - looks great in the preview images and then looks like complete shite when you actually try to play the game.
    Then somehow your hardware is causing the issue because for me it works just fine. I am running off of nvidia and intel hardware so I have no idea about any ATI issues

To each own
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #6765
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    I'm going to say deal with it about the colourless bullshit part, i'm colour blind so i have to deal with it
    This was totally uncalled for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

6. Post #6766

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Then somehow your hardware is causing the issue because for me it works just fine. I am running off of nvidia and intel hardware so I have no idea about any ATI issues

To each own
    I don't find it looks like shite because it runs slow (which it does), I find it looks like shite because it looks like overly bright, blurry, contrasting, nuclear explosion shite.

You can get the same effect by turning the bleach bypass on the FXAA Injector above 100%.

7. Post #6767
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    I don't find it looks like shite because it runs slow (which it does), I find it looks like shite because it looks like overly bright, blurry, contrasting, nuclear explosion shite.
    I've been through around 20 configs before settling down on one, and even then it has problems in some areas.

Many ENB configs feel like the config-maker made the entire config in one spot (in game). Some look gorgeous indoors, but the moment you walk outside it'll melt your eyes out. Stuff like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #6768
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Way I see it, Stormcloaks are pure Nazi's, while the Empire are a good faction, but are Being forced to work for Nazi's.

Empire is the lesser of the two evils.
    Although the Empire has good intentions, they have essentially handed their people over to the Thalmor. I always saw the Empire as impotent and weak after the White-Gold Concordat. The Stormcloaks are a group that can actually change that and fight against the Thalmor. The Redguards in Hammerfell successfully seceded from the Empire and drove off the Aldmeri Dominion. Why couldn't the Nords?

As much as the Empire wants to help their people, they are powerless. I felt the only way to ensure that Skyrim becomes free of Aldmeri oppression was to side with the Stormcloaks. Even if the Empire put down the rebellion in Skyrim, they would still be slaves to the Thalmor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #6769
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    Although the Empire has good intentions, they have essentially handed their people over to the Thalmor.
    It was either surrounder to the Thalmor, or everyone dies.

As much as the Empire wants to help their people, they are powerless.
    They are trying to reunite the Empire (hence putting down the Stormcloak rebellion) so it can be stronger and better suited for when the next war with the Aldermi Dominion commences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #6770
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    A good ENB config looks loads better than the default washed-out colourless bullshit which is vanilla Skyrim.

Problem is, many ENB configs are NOT good.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...tails/?id=7407
    Try this, it adds some color and tone to the game without making it some cinematic bullshit.

11. Post #6771
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    Although the Empire has good intentions, they have essentially handed their people over to the Thalmor. I always saw the Empire as impotent and weak after the White-Gold Concordat. The Stormcloaks are a group that can actually change that and fight against the Thalmor. The Redguards in Hammerfell successfully seceded from the Empire and drove off the Aldmeri Dominion. Why couldn't the Nords?
    Well if you call doing literally the exact same thing the Thalmor did "changing", then yeah I guess it would bring about a change.

As much as the Empire wants to help their people, they are powerless. I felt the only way to ensure that Skyrim becomes free of Aldmeri oppression was to side with the Stormcloaks. Even if the Empire put down the rebellion in Skyrim, they would still be slaves to the Thalmor.
    Except then all the Thalmor have to do is come along and kill all the Stormcloaks with that 90% of the world they happen to own, and they basically rule all the important bits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #6772
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    I've been through around 20 configs before settling down on one, and even then it has problems in some areas.

Many ENB configs feel like the config-maker made the entire config in one spot (in game). Some look gorgeous indoors, but the moment you walk outside it'll melt your eyes out. Stuff like that.
    Also what config did you like, I'm considering experimenting with ENB. The problem I have with ENB is that it seems to make that ugly halo appear over everything when it's dark.

13. Post #6773
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    Also what config did you like, I'm considering experimenting with ENB. The problem I have with ENB is that it seems to make that ugly halo appear over everything when it's dark.
    Currently I use the Cinematic Lighting config. Lot of people complain it's too bright, but it looks fine in my monitor.

Some things about it that may bug you:
    - It adds a red-ish hue to combat Skyrim's blue-green hue. This means things like fire is really orange and snow can have a purple hue if the sun is bright enough.
    - The snow is really fucking bright. I personally like this though, as snow really looks like that when it's sunny.
    - Indoor areas like Dragon's Reach are quite red. Easy to get used to though. Other interiors are fine though.

If you do get it, use the darker nights and interiors version.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4142 Every demo screenshot on that page, except the first one, is terrible. Try it for yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

14. Post #6774
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    It was either surrounder to the Thalmor, or everyone dies.
    Well no shit. That's why the Empire is weak. They lost their war and are having trouble holding onto their own human provinces.

They are trying to reunite the Empire (hence putting down the Stormcloak rebellion) so it can be stronger and better suited for when the next war with the Aldermi Dominion commences.
    Even if Skyrim was part of the Empire, there is still Hammerfell which seceded. There is no hope for the Empire with just Skyrim and Cyrodil(don't give me any Morrowind bullshit because they are hardly in a position to contribute to a war in any meaningful way).

Well if you call doing literally the exact same thing the Thalmor did "changing", then yeah I guess it would bring about a change.

Except then all the Thalmor have to do is come along and kill all the Stormcloaks with that 90% of the world they happen to own, and they basically rule all the important bits.
    The Thalmor don't own 90% of the world. They own Valenwood, Elsweyr and Summerset Isles. They have made the Empire into what basically amounts to a puppet state, but Cyrodil wouldn't contribute troops to the Aldmeri dominion in a war.

Again, Hammerfell successfully drove off the Thalmor. The Nords could drive off a Thalmor invasion as well, especially if they allied with the Redguards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

15. Post #6775
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,332 Posts
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...tails/?id=7407
    Try this, it adds some color and tone to the game without making it some cinematic bullshit.
    Probably just a matter of opinion, but I found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...48&searchtext=

to be MUCH better than RCRN.

I've tried both, and after RCRN gave Whiterun a nuclear glow in the middle of the day, I found Realistic Lighting to be a much better alternative.
    No postprocessing bullshit and it gives a nice tone to everything; albeit it makes some places a tad bit dark (especially at night).

(Keep in mind though that how I describe it looking on my monitor will probably be different from everyone else)

16. Post #6776
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    The Thalmor don't own 90% of the world. They own Valenwood and Summerset Isles. They have made the Empire into what basically amounts to a puppet state, but Cyrodil wouldn't contribute troops to the Aldmeri dominion in a war.

Again, Hammerfell successfully drove off the Thalmor. The Nords could drive off a Thalmor invasion as well, especially if they allied with the Redguards.
    It doesn't matter if they can be driven off, the Stormcloaks are just as racist and intolerant themselves. Quite frankly I feel replacing one evil with another doesn't help matters in the slightest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #6777
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,690 Posts
    I just bought Morrowind and I've only played through Oblivion and Skyrim. Any tips for a new player?

18. Post #6778
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    I just bought Morrowind and I've only played through Oblivion and Skyrim. Any tips for a new player?
    Yeah. Don't except anything from the combat system. Combat in Morrowind is about as likeable as passing a kidney stone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 4 (list)

19. Post #6779
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,332 Posts
    If you're like most people who played Oblivion before playing Morrowind (including me),
    You're going to have a very tough time adjusting at first.

You can actually fail to hit people when attacking them.
    (As in, you're aiming right at them, but still somehow miss)

Also, these fuckers:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 6 (list)

20. Post #6780
    June 2011
    8,812 Posts
    After the war Hammerfell was still strong, it's a rich and powerful province with some of the best warriors in Tamriel, Skyrim however is a harsh land full of rundown cities and towns, the province is thousands of years past it's prime.

21. Post #6781
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    It doesn't matter if they can be driven off, the Stormcloaks are just as racist and intolerant themselves. Quite frankly I feel replacing one evil with another doesn't help matters in the slightest.
    They aren't nearly as bad as the Thalmor. The Thalmor have an agenda of racial superiority that they want to enforce on the whole continent. The Stormcloaks want a land where they can practice their own traditions free of persecution.

Yea, there is a lot of racism in the Stormcloak ranks, but is it really hard to see why? These guys see the Elves as coming into their land and persecuting them. Of course they are going to feel a bit strongly about the Elven races. When Skyrim is free of Thalmor influence, then the Nords are probably going to be a whole lot less racist.

Edited:

After the war Hammerfell was still strong, it's a rich and powerful province with some of the best warriors in Tamriel, Skyrim however is a harsh land full of rundown cities and towns, the province is thousands of years past it's prime.
    Skyrim has excellent warriors that rival the Redguards, and they know how to fight in their harsh province. The Nords might not be rich, but they definitely have the ability to defend themselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #6782
    June 2011
    8,812 Posts
    They aren't nearly as bad as the Thalmor. The Thalmor have an agenda of racial superiority that they want to enforce on the whole continent. The Stormcloaks want a land where they can practice their own traditions free of persecution.

Yea, there is a lot of racism in the Stormcloak ranks, but is it really hard to see why? These guys see the Elves as coming into their land and persecuting them. Of course they are going to feel a bit strongly about the Elven races. When Skyrim is free of Thalmor influence, then the Nords are probably going to be a whole lot less racist.
    But it's only the stormcloak nords that are racist, the rest of the nords in Skyrim are indefinitely more tolerant and serve the empire happily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #6783
    November 2011
    397 Posts
    If you're like most people who played Oblivion before playing Morrowind (including me),
    You're going to have a very tough time adjusting at first.

You can actually fail to hit people when attacking them.
    (As in, you're aiming right at them, but still somehow miss)

Also, these fuckers:

Luck was pretty big part of the game in morrowind wasn't it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #6784
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,332 Posts
    Luck was pretty big part of the game in morrowind wasn't it?
    I spent the first few days of playing it running away from anything that tried to attack me.

If a cliff racer managed to find me, I basically just put my hands down and let it happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #6785
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    But it's only the stormcloak nords that are racist, the rest of the nords in Skyrim are indefinitely more tolerant and serve the empire happily.
    The rest of the Nords? At least half the Nord population is at least sympathetic to the Stormcloak cause. Hell, I would say most of the Jarls are as well. Even Torygg, the old High King, was sympathetic to Ulfric. The problem arose when Ulfric wanted to take power for himself, and wants to threaten the other Jarls. Balgruuf, for example, was mostly neutral in the conflict and only accepted the Empire's aid when Ulfric threatened him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #6786
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,096 Posts
    I hope somebody remakes Morrowind in Skyrim like they did in Oblivion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #6787
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Cliff racers were the most annoying shits to kill because you kept missing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

28. Post #6788
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,332 Posts
    I hope somebody remakes Morrowind in Skyrim like they did in Oblivion.
    That should be part of some tradition of every future release of an Elder Scrolls game until Bethesda does a game where all of Tamriel is present just like in Arena.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #6789
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    Except Ulfric himself says many times that he wants nothing more than to have High Elves wiped off the face of the planet. The man is a huge racist, and as long as somebody like him commands that much power things are going to remain relatively the same.

They have a segregated quarter of their main town and regularly beat elves savagely. I don't think, in a choice between these guys and the Empire (who are basically chill with everyone), there's really much to think about. One lynches people, the other doesn't. Whether or not it'll go away over time is not the issue; what is apparent is that people are getting horribly mauled, and I have to ask if the chance of beating the Thalmor - which is very, very unlikely - is worth all these innocent people dying.

The Empire stands an infinitely better chance of winning due to their heightened resources, doesn't regularly segregate people based on race, and their leader isn't a cunt who is basically a complete egotistical sociopath.

30. Post #6790
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    That should be part of some tradition of every future release of an Elder Scrolls game until Bethesda does a game where all of Tamriel is present just like in Arena.
    That would be a boring ass game. You guys complain of Solitude now? Just think about when it is like 5 houses because you can't make a whole continent without shrinking everything down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #6791
    May 2011
    2,872 Posts
    Okay, why can't I pick Odahviing, Paarthurnax and a few other living dragons, and just go an wreck the shit out of the Thalmor? No seriously, nobody would miss them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #6792
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Except Ulfric himself says many times that he wants nothing more than to have High Elves wiped off the face of the planet. The man is a huge racist, and as long as somebody like him commands that much power things are going to remain relatively the same.
    Ulfric doesn't speak for every Nord, and even when he is High King he would have little power over the other Jarls. Skyrim is very loosely organized. Windhelm will probably be racially segregated until the Dunmer either rise up or Ulfric dies. However, places like Whiterun and Solitude will stay relatively the same as far as racial persecution goes.

They have a segregated quarter of their main town and regularly beat elves savagely. I don't think, in a choice between these guys and the Empire (who are basically chill with everyone), there's really much to think about. One lynches people, the other doesn't. Whether or not it'll go away over time is not the issue; what is apparent is that people are getting horribly mauled,
    Well, you can either pick the Stormcloak persecution or the Thalmor persecution. The Empire is too weak to defend itself anymore.

and I have to ask if the chance of beating the Thalmor - which is very, very unlikely - is worth all these innocent people dying.

The Empire stands an infinitely better chance of winning due to their heightened resources, doesn't regularly segregate people based on race, and their leader isn't a cunt who is basically a complete egotistical sociopath.
    The Empire is done for. They can't hold onto their own provinces, they are enslaved by the Aldmeri Dominion. They aren't going to win a fight against them. Just the fact that a rebellion got so much support in Skyrim shows how completely ineffective the Empire is.

33. Post #6793
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,332 Posts
    That would be a boring ass game. You guys complain of Solitude now? Just think about when it is like 5 houses because you can't make a whole continent without shrinking everything down.
    Well, when i'm thinking of a future game where all of Tamriel is present, i'm thinking of it where none of it is scaled down. Somewhat like Arena.

Which is why I know it will never happen

34. Post #6794
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,096 Posts
    Well, when i'm thinking of a future game where all of Tamriel is present, i'm thinking of it where none of it is scaled down. Somewhat like Arena.

Elder Scrolls MMO.

It's bound to happen sometime.

35. Post #6795
    July 2010
    2,799 Posts
    So any mods yet that make Skooma not useless? I've found a couple on the nexus but I'm not sure which ones are good.
    It's not useless, it restores stamina.

36. Post #6796
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    Currently I use the Cinematic Lighting config. Lot of people complain it's too bright, but it looks fine in my monitor.

Some things about it that may bug you:
    - It adds a red-ish hue to combat Skyrim's blue-green hue. This means things like fire is really orange and snow can have a purple hue if the sun is bright enough.
    - The snow is really fucking bright. I personally like this though, as snow really looks like that when it's sunny.
    - Indoor areas like Dragon's Reach are quite red. Easy to get used to though. Other interiors are fine though.

If you do get it, use the darker nights and interiors version.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4142 Every demo screenshot on that page, except the first one, is terrible. Try it for yourself.

You have officially converted me. RCRN was almost like it was a mask on top of the existing Skyrim lighting. This feels like it totally replaces it.
    (P.S. I'm using this mod which makes the auroras more flashy.)

Edited:

Screenshots really don't do it justice, it looks so much better in motion.

37. Post #6797
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    Ulfric doesn't speak for every Nord, and even when he is High King he would have little power over the other Jarls. Skyrim is very loosely organized. Windhelm will probably be racially segregated until the Dunmer either rise up or Ulfric dies. However, places like Whiterun and Solitude will stay relatively the same as far as racial persecution goes.
    So if you know they're lead by someone who'll do the same thing as the Thalmor (i.e. be incredibly racist), why would you basically hand that guy Skyrim? He is an evil, evil man, and any amount of power granted to him is just going to get innocent people hurt.

Well, you can either pick the Stormcloak persecution or the Thalmor persecution. The Empire is too weak to defend itself anymore.
    Except the Thalmor wouldn't directly control Skyrim, at least not at first. Plus, you seem to think that everybody under Imperial rule just wants to be owned by the Thalmor and are just taking it. Well pretty much everybody hates them, and a rebellion against them is pretty much inevitable at this point. And if Skyrim can apparently hold the whole Thalmor empire off, why can't the actually trained and competent soldiers of Cyrodil?

The Empire is done for. They can't hold onto their own provinces, they are enslaved by the Aldmeri Dominion. They aren't going to win a fight against them. Just the fact that a rebellion got so much support in Skyrim shows how completely ineffective the Empire is.
    Again, if Skyrim can apparently do it, why can't Cyrodil? They're both just as radically different from Hammerfell, so it's apparently perfectly sound to assume that they can hold off the Thalmor just as well.

38. Post #6798
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts

It would just take so many manhours to build. =(

Maybe if we get a tool in the future that would allow game developers to design large swathes of land(including huge cities) with a simple interface.

Edited:

So if you know they're lead by someone who'll do the same thing as the Thalmor (i.e. be incredibly racist), why would you basically hand that guy Skyrim? He is an evil, evil man, and any amount of power granted to him is just going to get innocent people hurt.
    I don't think Ulfric will gain that much power from being High King. Yea, things will change, but I don't think Ulfric wants to really centralize the power in Skyrim when that would step on the toes of all the people who supported him(they wanted to be ruled in their traditional way). Not much would change except for the absence of Thalmor influence.

Except the Thalmor wouldn't directly control Skyrim, at least not at first. Plus, you seem to think that everybody under Imperial rule just wants to be owned by the Thalmor and are just taking it. Well pretty much everybody hates them, and a rebellion against them is pretty much inevitable at this point. And if Skyrim can apparently hold the whole Thalmor empire off, why can't the actually trained and competent soldiers of Cyrodil?

Again, if Skyrim can apparently do it, why can't Cyrodil? They're both just as radically different from Hammerfell, so it's apparently perfectly sound to assume that they can hold off the Thalmor just as well.
    No, I don't see the Empire as being willingly compliant with the Thalmor. I see them as being too weak to defend themselves. And there are loads of reasons that Skyrim could defend itself while Cyrodil couldn't. Terrain, logistics, leadership, and the organization of the province.

Cyrodil probably could defend itself anyways, if they had better leaders in charge. Ever since the Septim line ended the Empire has had weak leaders.

39. Post #6799
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    Are there any fixes for vampirism with hoods? It seems like that when I have certain hoods on as a vampire, it glitches up and doesn't show and makes you appear bald.

40. Post #6800
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    No, I don't see the Empire as being willingly compliant with the Thalmor. I see them as being too weak to defend themselves. And there are loads of reasons that Skyrim could defend itself while Cyrodil couldn't. Terrain, logistics, leadership, and the organization of the province.
    Well the first half of Skyrim is basically the same climate and geography of Cyrodil (since it leads onto it), so that's half of Skyrim conquered if Cyrodil can be taken over so easily, especially when guarded with trained soldiers. So at this point the Nords have a decent amount of freezing cold land barely fit to grow muck in, and all trade routes that aren't from sea are cut off. But wait, even the ones from sea are going to have difficulty, since there's huge sheets of ice and horrible weather killing off the crews and damaging the hulls. So now the Nords are surrounded by a ruthlessly efficient enemy slowly converging on them, have little trade coming in and thus have soldiers ill-fit for combat, and the people they've been spreading hate for are now getting really really pissed and seizing an opportunity to attack their impoverished guards.

Now, this all just as hypothetical as Cyrodil getting conquered, so I'm sure you can see why just brainstorming doesn't work so well.

Cyrodil probably could defend itself anyways, if they had better leaders in charge. Ever since the Septim line ended the Empire has had weak leaders.
    I don't know what you mean by "weak", it was basically "sign the concordiat or literally everyone in your province dies". Anyone who'd refuse such a thing is a psychopath, and aside from that the Emperor hasn't really done anything. So at the very least he cares for his people enough to know the difference between a signature and a couple million people dying.