1. Post #7481
    October 2009
    9,292 Posts
    Fighting a dragon when suddenly a new challenger appears

It was awesome, though now I need to restock on potions.
    Happened to me, once. Two dragons at the same time, one of them freshly resurrected by Alduin.

Sadly, one of them flew away while I fought the resurrected one, then came back a bit after I killed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #7482
    UK is fucking terrible, don't live here.
    January 2012
    1,169 Posts

You are all now staring into the hypnotizing fire. Pretty pretty fire.
    How did you do that flame thing? And the hair is putting me off, it's like the lighting isn't effecting it properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #7483
    Iggy the mean Piggy
    September 2007
    9,080 Posts
    How did you do that flame thing? And the hair is putting me off, it's like the lighting isn't effecting it properly.
    I did it like this

and don't start with the hair again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Winner Winner x 7Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #7484
    October 2009
    9,292 Posts

You are all now staring into the hypnotizing fire. Pretty pretty fire.
    This gave me an idea, if it doesn't already exist

A torch spell. You cast it (don't need to hold it), and you hold a ball of fire in your hand, it working like a torch, but it slowly drains magic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #7485
    Iggy the mean Piggy
    September 2007
    9,080 Posts
    This gave me an idea, if it doesn't already exist

A torch spell. You cast it (don't need to hold it), and you hold a ball of fire in your hand, it working like a torch, but it slowly drains magic.
    I would most certainly use it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

6. Post #7486
    January 2012
    1,169 Posts
    I did it like this

and don't start with the hair again.
    At first i thought, "Wait like what? You didn't tell me." And then i realised the picture was a link, clever.

And i'm just commenting on the lighting, that's it, i'm not going to start it off again, it's a stupid picky thing i have with stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7487
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,613 Posts
    Fighting a dragon when suddenly a new challenger appears

It was awesome, though now I need to restock on potions.
    Took me a while to realise that was your bow and not the dragon's model fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #7488
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I never realized how "bad" Skyrim's textures were until I went to look for re-textures. Holy crap this game looks like ass when you compared to the mods that are out there now.

Edited:

I wonder if Bethesda purposely fudges some of the stuff in their ES games just because they know the community will polish it up for them.

9. Post #7489
    January 2012
    1,169 Posts
    Or maybe they do it to cut down on the size of the game because they don't want everyone to download a 20+ GB game.

Edited:

I don't know about anybody else but i've just had to re-download all the mods i'm Subscribed to, even though i already had them downloaded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #7490
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Or maybe they do it to cut down on the size of the game because they don't want everyone to download a 20+ GB game.

Edited:

I don't know about anybody else but i've just had to re-download all the mods i'm Subscribed to, even though i already had them downloaded.
    That happens at least once a day for me.

11. Post #7491
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,701 Posts
    The launcher's data files thing is pissy about people changing their load order with Nexus Mod Manager or similar. since load order is handled by the "Date Created" tag on the .esp if it gets changed the steam launcher thinks your ESP mismatches the version on their servers and redownloads it.

The beta patch fixes this I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #7492

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Where the hell did you find that? On some hardcore super realistic roleplay forum?
    I actually agree with the points it makes...there is absolutely no incentive to do anything in Skyrim regarding the Stealth skills. Stealing barely makes you money compared to crafting or doing dungeons. Putting points into lockpicking is completely pointless [contradicting pun not intended] unless you are absolutely terrible at it, and speech would be useful if it didn't require the usage of exploits to level. Money is also rather pointless unless you really want to buy robes or extra houses.

13. Post #7493
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,874 Posts
    I seem to change my character's job/role based on what outfits I find. I should some steel plate armour and decided she thought there is more money to be made in becoming a Knight-Errant so she's stopped hunting for now and now travelling around Skyrim righting wrongs. And I've still yet to do much Necromancy, and I'm still hesitant to use soul trap.

14. Post #7494
    January 2012
    1,169 Posts
    Some bitch in Winterhold, you talk to her about a problem and she goes on about a Claw much like the Golden Claw you get right at the start of the main Quests, she says it needs to return to a certain place but she won't do it, so you buy it off her for 50 Gold but she says, and this is the bitch part, if you get killed then it's not my fault, ok? But if it is worth something, come back and tell me.

Great logic on that, someone who doesn't care whether or not you die, wants you to tell her if something has value to it, not like she'd get shit anyway.

15. Post #7495
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,874 Posts
    I actually agree with the points it makes...there is absolutely no incentive to do anything in Skyrim regarding the Stealth skills. Stealing barely makes you money compared to crafting or doing dungeons. Putting points into lockpicking is completely pointless unless you are absolutely terrible at it, and speech would be useful if it didn't require the usage of exploits to level. Money is also rather pointless unless you really want to buy robes or extra houses.
    I'm almost always flat broke unless turing in a quest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #7496

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    I'm almost always flat broke unless turing in a quest.
    ...How? I usually have enough money to buy the house in Whiterun plus add-ons after completing the quest at the watchtower early in the game.

17. Post #7497
    January 2012
    1,169 Posts
    I actually agree with the points it makes...there is absolutely no incentive to do anything in Skyrim regarding the Stealth skills. Stealing barely makes you money compared to crafting or doing dungeons. Putting points into lockpicking is completely pointless unless you are absolutely terrible at it, and speech would be useful if it didn't require the usage of exploits to level. Money is also rather pointless unless you really want to buy robes or extra houses.
    I have no patience with Lockpicking, i'm using the Lockpicking Cheat, the one that shows the bar at the top which lets you see how close you are to the opening part.

18. Post #7498
    July 2009
    4,597 Posts
    I seem to change my character's job/role based on what outfits I find. I should some steel plate armour and decided she thought there is more money to be made in becoming a Knight-Errant so she's stopped hunting for now and now travelling around Skyrim righting wrongs. And I've still yet to do much Necromancy, and I'm still hesitant to use soul trap.
    I can't wait to see the shit you'll pull once you get Daedric.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

19. Post #7499
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    I have no patience with Lockpicking, i'm using the Lockpicking Cheat, the one that shows the bar at the top which lets you see how close you are to the opening part.
    It doesn't help that the game has adept-master locked chests with nothing in them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

20. Post #7500
    July 2009
    4,597 Posts
    I actually agree with the points it makes...there is absolutely no incentive to do anything in Skyrim regarding the Stealth skills. Stealing barely makes you money compared to crafting or doing dungeons. Putting points into lockpicking is completely pointless [contradicting pun not intended] unless you are absolutely terrible at it, and speech would be useful if it didn't require the usage of exploits to level. Money is also rather pointless unless you really want to buy robes or extra houses.
    I like getting my Pickpocket to 50 just for the extra 100 carrying space. I may be rich as fuck but looting is the fun part of dungeons for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #7501

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    I remember in Morrowind and Oblivion that looting dungeons was awesome whenever you found rare magical gear. In Skyrim, I just go "meh" and add it to my pile of crap to disenchant. Something about Skyrim's dungeons just isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's because enchanted gear is extremely common and easy to make in Skyrim...? There are also a lot less effects to enchant things with, and everything is measured by magnitudes of 5's and 10's.

Or maybe it was because repairing gear and buying houses in Oblivion was expensive as fuck with OOO installed, and money was actually useful. Also because the very few "unique" items in Skyrim are pretty crappy to begin with, aside from the dragon masks. There's very little reward for doing pretty much anything regarding loot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #7502
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,874 Posts
    ...How? I usually have enough money to buy the house in Whiterun plus add-ons after completing the quest at the watchtower early in the game.
    Carrying a lot of weapons and armour sets to suit my changing moods and a whole bloody library with me leaves little room for loot, I have certain rules about looting things, I don't haul EVERYTHING back because I don't use fast travel, and in this playthrough I've just not been exploring much.

23. Post #7503
    July 2009
    4,597 Posts
    Is there a mod available that ''optimizes'' or makes the map screen not laggy (like a 2d map)? The game itself runs fine for me, but the map screen lags like shit.
    Usually it's the exact opposite for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #7504
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,592 Posts
    I remember in Morrowind and Oblivion that looting dungeons was awesome whenever you found rare magical gear. In Skyrim, I just go "meh" and add it to my pile of crap to disenchant. Something about Skyrim's dungeons just isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's because enchanted gear is extremely common and easy to make in Skyrim...? There are also a lot less effects to enchant things with, and everything is measured by magnitudes of 5's and 10's.

Or maybe it was because repairing gear and buying houses in Oblivion was expensive as fuck with OOO installed, and money was actually useful.
    Everything in Skyrim is handed to you on a silver-platter, so it destroys the value of everything. I'm sorry, but the game is fucking easy. I had just arrived in Riverwood after escaping Helgen and I went off to get the Golden Claw. When I opened the chest at the end of the dungeon I got a suit of Steel Armor. I shouldn't be getting that kind of stuff until several hours into the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

25. Post #7505

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Everything in Skyrim is handed to you on a silver-platter, so it destroys the value of everything. I'm sorry, but the game is fucking easy. I had just arrived in Riverwood after escaping Helgen and I went off to get the Golden Claw. When I opened the chest at the end of the dungeon I got a suit of Steel Armor. I shouldn't be getting that kind of stuff until several hours into the game.
    Skyrim is super piss easy for me (unless I'm playing as a mage on master obviously) because in Oblivion I used to play as a custom race that had endurance as its lowest stat and speed as its highest stat. And every single enemy took 1000+ arrows to kill. And all enemy mages could repeatedly heal themselves and kill me in two hits. So yeah, playing Oblivion for me was like playing Aliens vs Predator as the marine. Except you only get to use a pistol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #7506
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,874 Posts
    Skyrim is super piss easy for me (unless I'm playing as a mage on master obviously) because in Oblivion I used to play as a custom race that had endurance as its lowest stat and speed as its highest stat. And every single enemy took 1000+ arrows to kill. And all enemy mages could repeatedly heal themselves and kill me in two hits. So yeah, playing Oblivion for me was like playing Aliens vs Predator as the marine. Except you only get to use a pistol.
    That's a bit of an unfair standard to hold it to, don't you think?

27. Post #7507
    Gum
    July 2011
    1,214 Posts
    Fighting off an armada of bulldozer with a hair dryer would be a more accurate comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #7508
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,199 Posts
    What was the code in the INI file for removing the cloud cover from the map, again?

29. Post #7509

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    That's a bit of an unfair standard to hold it to, don't you think?
    Not when it's possible to get completed fully upgraded/enchanted Daedric weapons and armor before level 20 in Skyrim and loot is everywhere, no.

Edited:

In other news, here is a video of Umbra being completely too hard to kill at the climax of an admittedly brilliant strategy.

30. Post #7510
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,770 Posts
    Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Especially with smithing; I wish Bethesda could keep the item durability and replace the upgrading of them, it would make smithing useful, but not OP. The thing about it is you can make a full set of leather or steel armor at the start of the game and upgrade it to the point where elven and dwemer armor seems useless unless you upgrade it.

Also, the dragon priest masks are completely over-powered. Here you get masks with high armor ratings and some extremely powerful enchantments. One even makes you able to breathe underwater! I mean, these priests may be hard some times, but if you fight them at level 20 with a resist magic and fire/frost/shock potion (that's what they actually are used to, stop trading them with healing potions) it is a lot more easy. And what is the reward? An armored mask with powerful enchantments and a staff that shoots fireballs, lightning and any other adept and above spell! It is almost if the question "what helmet should I use?" is replaced with "Which dragon priest mask should I use?".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #7511

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Especially with smithing; I wish Bethesda could keep the item durability and replace the upgrading of them, it would make smithing useful, but not OP. The thing about it is you can make a full set of leather or steel armor at the start of the game and upgrade it to the point where elven and dwemer armor seems useless unless you upgrade it.
    Smithing is practically required simply because of how much stronger it makes your equipment. At max level it doubles the strength of your gear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #7512
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,874 Posts
    Not when it's possible to get completed fully upgraded/enchanted Daedric weapons and armor before level 20 in Skyrim and loot is everywhere, no.
    You're still comparing a vanilla game to an optional mod for another game that is made to make the game harder. Some people don't want to break their balls for an apple. I've never found any Daedric weapons/armour at all and only found Ebony armour once. I guess everyone in the world places differently to me.

Edited:

Smithing is practically required simply because of how much stronger it makes your equipment. At max level it doubles the strength of your gear.
    I've never invested a single perk into smithing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #7513

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    You're still comparing a vanilla game to an optional mod for another game that is made to make the game harder. Some people don't want to break their balls for an apple. I've never found any Daedric weapons/armour at all and only found Ebony armour once. I guess everyone in the world places differently to me.

Edited:

I don't think you realize the irony in your post when you say that I'm comparing vanilla versus modded and yet you're playing specifically without using what makes Skyrim so easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #7514
    June 2011
    8,706 Posts
    Wowowowowowowowowowow

Seriously?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #7515
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,770 Posts
    Exactly! I have to use it on all my characters because it makes anything more powerful. Heck, I upgraded fur armor to superior and could basically survive an entire bandit dungeon. Skyrim doesn't feel like a proper RPG any more, it just feels like an unbalanced, open-world first person shooter with swords, because nothing is a challenge! People stop giving shits about buff potions and poisons simply because the game is easy enough with only healing and stamina/magicka ones while the game hand holds you and give you good stuff which make you one-shot normal enemies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #7516

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Exactly! I have to use it on all my characters because it makes anything more powerful. Heck, I upgraded fur armor to superior and could basically survive an entire bandit dungeon. Skyrim doesn't feel like a proper RPG any more, it just feels like an unbalanced, open-world first person shooter with swords, because nothing is a challenge! People stop giving shits about buff potions and poisons simply because the game is easy enough with only healing and stamina/magicka ones while the game hand holds you and give you good stuff which make you one-shot normal enemies.
    On the other hand, playing on master is an exercise in masochism. And yet somehow expert doesn't make the game harder, it just makes battles last longer. Until you get to that one bandit who happens to be 1000x stronger than the rest. Skyrim's balance is all over the place, but it's certain that playing on the standard (aka what should be balanced) difficulty is a cake walk. The only time I ever drink potions is when I get jumped by more than one bandit chief with a two-handed weapon (which seems to happen on the road a lot for some reason).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #7517
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,770 Posts
    That is just how unbalanced Skyrim is. I think Bethesda over did the bosses, (with an exception for the dragons, they were piss easy) I mean, bandit chiefs you encounter at level 1 have 500HP IIRC according to the CK and the swords you have then will inflict about 8-12 damage which is kind of pathetic in comparison to someone who kills you in two hits. Still, when you loose a battle, it doesn't feel like it is because you did your preparations wrong, but because the boss itself is over powered and kills you almost instantly. So, as I said, Skyrim doesn't feel like a proper RPG, it feels like something you can be whatever you want in and kill everything, but when you encounter a boss, it just gets frustrating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #7518
    I sell weed to elementary school students
    February 2009
    11,726 Posts
    everyone's saying they're playing on master and expert and that it's piss easy, but I've been playing on apprentice most of the time, and just recently started playing more on adept, and i'm dying all the time... am i really as shit as you guys make me feel???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #7519
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,770 Posts
    everyone's saying they're playing on master and expert and that it's piss easy, but I've been playing on apprentice most of the time, and just recently started playing more on adept, and I'm dying all the time... am i really as shit as you guys make me feel???
    What kind of armor do you use and which NPCs are killing you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

40. Post #7520
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,999 Posts
    everyone's saying they're playing on master and expert and that it's piss easy, but I've been playing on apprentice most of the time, and just recently started playing more on adept, and i'm dying all the time... am i really as shit as you guys make me feel???
    I know how you feel man, can't nearly walk into a dungeon without getting the shit kicked out of me.

Outside of dungeons, however... well, let's just say that one ebony bow I fished off of that Dragur Deathlord has done wonders for me since I got it back when I was level 11...