1. Post #121
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,944 Posts
    Because many of the aftermarket coolers are just a gimmick, and they also use a non-standard mounting hole pattern for a cooler.
    So if the fan craps out, you have a big paperweight, instead of just buying a decent aftermarket cooler and swap out the stock one and have a working card again.
    it's not always non-standard, pretty sure most of the time they use the same mounting holes for them, would be pretty counter-intuitive to make a new one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #122
    I don't get why people put so much money into a pc, then buy videocards with reference coolers..
    Because they are cheaper in general. Also some people plan to move to watercooling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    I don't get why people put so much money into a pc, then buy videocards with reference coolers..
    Because 90% of the time the non-reference cooler PCBs are of lesser quality and end up removing features of reference boards. There are a few exceptions like Galaxy and ASUS Direct CU or the XFX Black Edition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

4. Post #124
    DirectCU 2 and the TwinFrozr III coolers are by far some of the best nonreference coolers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #125
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,738 Posts
    I like the reference coolers on the 6870s, I just with the stripes and the fans were blue though.

6. Post #126
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,813 Posts
    I never buy anything with a reference cooler.

I've had problems with reference coolers and I find that if you do your research the out-of-box, nonreference cooling does fantastic unless you want to watercool.

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,596 Posts
    Reference coolers almost always have the problem of trying to look cool, rather than keep the hardware cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    July 2009
    1,245 Posts
    DirectCU 2 and the TwinFrozr III coolers are by far some of the best nonreference coolers.
    Ahem, my Phantom says hello.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #129
    Ahem, my Phantom says hello.
    Not as good as those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

10. Post #130
    July 2009
    1,245 Posts
    Not as good as those.
    Are you serious?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

11. Post #131
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

12. Post #132
    July 2009
    1,245 Posts
    reason your foul saying about the phantom, young one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

13. Post #133
    That's the gainward phantom right? I had remembered reading a review on the 580 phantom versus the MSI lightning and the stock The Phantom did beat stock a lot but got quite loud for the temps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

14. Post #134
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,804 Posts
    I would have aimed for a CUII if it wasn't so, to put it plainly, ugly.
    My Frozr III looks pretty nice, but all I care about is how quiet it is now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #135
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,792 Posts
    Non-standard hole positions? Are people scared to DIY and bodge these days?

16. Post #136
    July 2009
    1,245 Posts
    That's the gainward phantom right? I had remembered reading a review on the 580 phantom versus the MSI lightning and the stock The Phantom did beat stock a lot but got quite loud for the temps.
    yes it is.

loud?
    they should check their card
    I haven't heard my phantom ever
    not even during bf3
    my case has no sidepanel on
    and it's on my desk
    next to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Non-standard hole positions? Are people scared to DIY and bodge these days?
    Components are more delicate these days.
    This isn't the Nvidia Geforce 2 MX era where you bolted a CPU heatsink onto your GPU, and simply soldered a resistor onto the soldering pads of the huge voltage regulator.
    Nowadays the whole card requires active cooling and it's all itty bitty SMD components.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,804 Posts
    yes it is.

loud?
    they should check their card
    I haven't heard my phantom ever
    not even during bf3
    my case has no sidepanel on
    and it's on my desk
    next to me
    Why would you have your case like that
    And oh, you probably can't hear it over other fans, if you removed your GPU the PC would be a lot quieter.

19. Post #139
    July 2006
    18 Posts
    I just rebuilt my computer and took pictures.
    The rebuild was really changing the case, CPU cooler, adding an SSD, and managing cables.
    I tried to take nice pictures but I found out early on that, while I can build a computer, an entry level SLR is far beyond me. So here are my mediocre Point-and-shoot pictures.

Original case: (c'mon, I chose the case when I was a preteen.)

Stuff I added: (I actually added the graphics card in November. That's why it's already in the pictures of the old case)

Cable mismanagement:

Bare CPU (new case in background)

Adding in the rest of the stuff:

Finished Product:

And Speccy/CPUz:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,722 Posts
    put some time into cable management

Edited:

also, if milky ever gets back in this thread (or anyone that knows), how hard is it to braid cables (or put on cable sleeving)? i noticed that it makes it look a lot nicer

21. Post #141
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts

Edited:

also, if milky ever gets back in this thread (or anyone that knows), how hard is it to braid cables (or put on cable sleeving)? i noticed that it makes it look a lot nicer
    It's not hard, just takes time (especially if individual sleeving), get some sleeving, heatshrinks and a de-pinning tool and you're away.

22. Post #142
    July 2006
    18 Posts
    Haha, yeah.
    Well the "Cable mismanagement" photo was from the first build.
    This one I actually did put a lot of time into it. That build has a non-modular power supply, two IDE optical drives, a sound card with a 5.25" slot (connected by IDE) and four hard drives. There were five fans plus the two on the radiator. I actually did put a lot of effort into managing the cables at first (which is why the top half is so clear), and I routed literally every cable through the back side of the case. That said, the cable management hole below the motherboard is such a CF because all but one of the PSU cables, two fan headers, the front panel headers, an IDE ribbon, and power for the sound card going through it. I could pull the PCIe power cables more tautly, but otherwise, there isn't really any cable bunching on the front side of the tray.
    I couldn't manage to figure out a way to reroute those cables any more neatly, and I figure that it doesn't really interfere with airflow, as it's below the sound card anyway. It's not pretty, but the air gets where it needs to go.

It's not hard, just takes time (especially if individual sleeving), get some sleeving, heatshrinks and a de-pinning tool and you're away.
    Are you referring to the sheathing that looks like shoe-strings or just altering the length of wires?
    I spent a lot of time cable-managementing; I found that the limiting factors were the sheer numbers of wires (non-modular PSU, seven total drives) and the space/holes available inside the case. For example, once I got the drives in, I found that I couldn't route the SATA cables around and back toward the front of the case because there was not enough clearance with the front case fans. I did route wires such that as little as possible was on the front side of the MB tray, but I didn't feel that wire length was a limiting factor in most of that.

Anyway, I'm not even sure what the point of this response is. I seem to be passive-aggressively defending myself when I'm not even under attack, so let's just say that I'm asking for constructive advice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,792 Posts
    I thought about connecting the grounds together at the connector end of the 24 pin ATX connector. That'd cut a load of wires.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #144
    July 2006
    18 Posts
    I thought about connecting the grounds together at the connector end of the 24 pin ATX connector. That'd cut a load of wires.
    As in just pulling out every wire (except for one) that leads to one of the ground plugs, then wiring them together? I'm seeing that this would basically make the bundle a few wires thinner; would that make much of a difference?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

25. Post #145
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,792 Posts
    Wire gauge permitting I can't see why you couldn't do it for every pin type.

Your 24 pin would then have only 7 wires leading to it (GND, +5vSB, +5v, +12V, -12V, PWRON, PWROK) then short jumper wires at the connector end.

Inside most PSUs, on the 5v and 3.3v rails, they are tied together anyway. On single rail 12V PSUs that's tied together too. I reckon it's just a case of selecting the correct wire gauge. Probably breaks some "design rules" but who gives a crap if it works as intended.

My other thought was for the HDDs was to use a Bus-bar like system of vertical rails with screw terminal blocks. For that neat industrial look.

Yeah, I like experimenting

26. Post #146
    July 2006
    18 Posts
    Wire gauge permitting I can't see why you couldn't do it for every pin type.

Your 24 pin would then have only 7 wires leading to it (GND, +5vSB, +5v, +12V, -12V, PWRON, PWROK) then short jumper wires at the connector end.

Inside most PSUs, on the 5v and 3.3v rails, they are tied together anyway. On single rail 12V PSUs that's tied together too. I reckon it's just a case of selecting the correct wire gauge. Probably breaks some "design rules" but who gives a crap if it works as intended.

My other thought was for the HDDs was to use a Bus-bar like system of vertical rails with screw terminal blocks. For that neat industrial look.

Yeah, I like experimenting
    Repost but relevant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

27. Post #147
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,944 Posts
    very cool, but the people posting there about electricity are complete retards

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Cable braiding is a pretty straight-forward process, relatively easy to learn if you read the tutorials like the huge one on Xtremesystems. However getting a decent result takes a lot of practice, obviously if you just want to get them braided and done it wont take you long to do. However if you want it to be perfect in terms of the heatshrink lining up perfectly and the sleeve having the perfect amount of stretch so you don't get any colour seeping through the braid then it can take a hell of a lot of practice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Cable sleeving depends on a few things.
    -The brand of PSU/Cable (Some pins are much harder to remove from certain brands.)
    -The quality of the sleeve (Cheap sleeving looks terrible most of the time and ends up fraying and coming out ugly.)
    -Tools (Either buy a pin remover or make your own with a paper clip/staple (Not as easy as it sounds, alot of these tools break easily, most people who get the hang of it with a paper clip/staple first will be able to use a tool without breaking them.)
    -Time and Patience (First timers will have a good ol' time callusing the hell out of their fingers and pinching their tips while getting those cables out, it really starts to test your nerves.)

It can be a pretty expensive and painstaking process. To get every individual cable sleeved in a PSU will take days on your first try, took me 3 hours just to unpin the ATX cable on my first try. It's something that I'll pick up for about an hour or 2, then put back down and do something else before getting back to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,596 Posts
    Milky seems to like MDPC-X a lot, maybe when I do a system overhaul again i'll sleeve some of my wires.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,944 Posts
    new build im selling:

32. Post #152
    November 2011
    439 Posts
    new build im selling:
    Specs?

33. Post #153
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,944 Posts
    9800 ee, phenom x4 925, 4gb ram, 500 gb wd black
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Milky seems to like MDPC-X a lot, maybe when I do a system overhaul again i'll sleeve some of my wires.
    MDPC-X is the only place that sells decent high-quality sleeving that wont show colour seeping from the wires underneath when its stretched, also Nils is a top guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #155

April 2011
    4,489 Posts
    9800 ee, phenom x4 925, 4gb ram, 500 gb wd black
    How much?

I know someone who might want it.

36. Post #156
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,944 Posts
    How much?

I know someone who might want it.
    350 I suppose, I wouldn't mind throwing my 460 in there with my Corsair PSU for more

37. Post #157

April 2011
    4,489 Posts
    350 I suppose, I wouldn't mind throwing my 460 in there with my Corsair PSU for more
    I'll ask him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    April 2008
    58 Posts
    so a buddy of mine told me something was wrong with his computer and i said i'd take a look...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    hey
    August 2006
    5,484 Posts
    so a buddy of mine told me something was wrong with his computer and i said i'd take a look...

'git 'dem dust bunnies mang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    i think his case has aids
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8Informative Informative x 2 (list)