1. Post #921
    September 2008
    197 Posts
    I made a image->Skype emotes converter

and failed :(
    i'd love to rape some friends with this, can i have it? :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

2. Post #922
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,070 Posts
    Have you considered making the wires into beizer curves?
    I was aiming for allowing the user to select different points, which the wires will follow. This will also include a "snap-to-grid" feature.

Wires are ugly right now, but it's not a main concern at the moment for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #923
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    So I have to start preparing to write my huge dissertation-like paper next year, anyone got any ideas for topics?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I made a image->Skype emotes converter
    and failed :(
    That's not failure, that's just having a limited set of emotes to work with. I'm going to guess that there's not enough beigeish ones for the hand or skull pictures to convert well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #925
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    So I have to start preparing to write my huge dissertation-like paper next year, anyone got any ideas for topics?
    what you learned in boating programming school is

It's not programming school, it's regular high school and we get to write it on whatever we want.
    what you learned in boating high school is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #926
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    what you learned in programming school is
    It's not programming school, it's regular high school and we get to write it on whatever we want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,130 Posts
    Write on the life cycle of a program.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

8. Post #928
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    I'm not sure I could write 4,000 words on that, and it's a boring topic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

9. Post #929
    September 2011
    172 Posts
    Write about the Waterfall designing model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

10. Post #930
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I'm not sure I could write 4,000 words on that, and it's a boring topic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

11. Post #931
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,070 Posts

excellent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 23Programming King Programming King x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #932
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,249 Posts
    Oh, that's how those work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #933
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Build an arithmetic logic unit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic x 4Agree x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1Winner x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

14. Post #934
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I've always played with the thought of building a basic simple CPU out of transistors that could run really really simple code, so you people could write code for it and do cool things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #935
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I've always played with the thought of building a basic simple CPU out of transistors that could run really really simple code, so you people could write code for it and do cool things
    I thought about it at one point (I was thinking electromechanical relays, actually), but you end up needing an ungodly number of them. Mostly just for the working registers.
    An RS latch (effectively the simplest bistable digital circuit) is about 8 transistors (if you're building it CMOS). If you want to work with 4-bit numbers, that's 32 transistors/register, and if you want two general-purpose registers and one I/O register, that's 96 transistors. Plus the program counter, which you'd probably want to be at least 8-bit (if not 12- or 16-bit), which is another 64 transistors.
    RS latches, though, suck because they're not synchronous. If you want to do D-flip-flops or edge-triggered D-flip-flops, you take that number and multiply it by like 4 or 8.

And then you still end up having to cheat and use solid-state memory anyway to store the program and any values that don't fit into the registers (unless you're uber-leet and can build tape storage with an audio cassette player or something).

It's actually simpler with relays, I think, because you don't need to actually build flip-flops or latches. You can get bistable relays, or you can wire them up to hold themselves closed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

16. Post #936
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,819 Posts
    5 weeks into my first college programming class, and we're just now going over what true false and if statements are.

oh man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

17. Post #937
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    5 weeks into my first college programming class, and we're just now going over what true false and if statements are.

oh man
    Welcome to Computer Science.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 7Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

18. Post #938
    @@
    January 2012
    138 Posts
    let me guess you're using vb6 as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

19. Post #939
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts

oh man
    i'm on 9th grade and they're teaching us programming
    aka the teacher opens a word document and says "write it into your visualg monitor"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 3Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

20. Post #940
    January 2009
    340 Posts
    Hey guys, thought I'd show you all a small bit of my current dissertation work, the basic concepts from it to see what you think. My dissertation is on the concept of neural networks and its use in handwriting recognition, and here's something I worked on tonight to visualise how a neural network can be used for data classification. Due to weirdness with the sigmoid activation function it currently uses the sine function, hence why it looks a bit "curvy".

Here's the run down of what stuff represents.

the X of the graph is one of the network inputs, the Y the other.
    The colour red represents an outputted value of 1, and blue is a value of two, any colours between that are values between 0 and 1.
    The coloured circles are the training values, the colour representing the desired output at that point.
    The colours being displayed in the graph are what the network is outputting when the values are at that point.

I can show you all more neural network stuff that I'm doing if you want, and if you guys want a tutorial on basic neural networks I'd like to write one at some point, but only would if people were interested.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 6Informative Informative x 2 (list)

21. Post #941
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,819 Posts
    let me guess you're using vb6 as well?
    we're actually not using any language at all this entire semester. all pseudocode.

Edited:

somebody with previous experience mentioned a loop to the teacher and I think the rest of the class collectively shit themselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #942
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,627 Posts
    welcome to college

wait what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

23. Post #943
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I know my work with HL2:SB is pretty boring, but I like sharing my small bits of progress, so I hope it's not too much of a bother.

This is the GameUI state running its very first Frame! Half-Life 2: Sandbox already has dynamic content mounting, which was written up by our very own Zeh Matt (if I recall correctly), and operates by using Open Steamworks.

I'll just be throwing in native support for checkboxes and labels, then I'll be finished with this window here, which is brought up by using the content button in the main menu. (I think it's exciting, at least.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

24. Post #944
    September 2010
    2,378 Posts
    we're actually not using any language at all this entire semester. all pseudocode.
    That almost hurt me to read.

The best way to learn is by trying.
    Your class isn't going to learn anything. (that they'll remember, at least.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I thought about it at one point (I was thinking electromechanical relays, actually), but you end up needing an ungodly number of them. Mostly just for the working registers.
    An RS latch (effectively the simplest monostable digital circuit) is about 8 transistors (if you're building it CMOS). If you want to work with 4-bit numbers, that's 32 transistors/register, and if you want two general-purpose registers and one I/O register, that's 96 transistors. Plus the program counter, which you'd probably want to be at least 8-bit (if not 12- or 16-bit), which is another 64 transistors.
    RS latches, though, suck because they're not synchronous. If you want to do D-flip-flops or edge-triggered D-flip-flops, you take that number and multiply it by like 4 or 8.

And then you still end up having to cheat and use solid-state memory anyway to store the program and any values that don't fit into the registers (unless you're uber-leet and can build tape storage with an audio cassette player or something).

It's actually simpler with relays, I think, because you don't need to actually build flip-flops or latches. You can get monostable relays, or you can wire them up to hold themselves closed.
    Well, that's not too bad from a cost perspective, as bags with low-power transistors are about as expensive as a popsicle.
    It'll of course be a lot of work to solder it all together, but hey, it's the things we do for gaining invaluable knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

26. Post #946
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    How are you supposed to know if anything you write works? Are you supposed to just run through everything on paper/in your head to debug it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    excellent
    I started one of these yesterday, partly as a project to learn JavaScript and Canvas and mostly because I didn't like the Java one we have to use in my machine architecture class.

It's mostly functional, I'll need a way to delete wires and then I was going to allow you to create integrated circuits like Logicly. Also I need to add more default components.

Code's here: https://github.com/Metapyziks/Logic-Sim
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,819 Posts
    How are you supposed to know if anything you write works? Are you supposed to just run through everything on paper/in your head to debug it?
    yep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

29. Post #949
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    That's anywhere from annoying to rather cruel depending on how complex your algorithms get in the class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

30. Post #950
    April 2011
    1,627 Posts
    what a terrible method to learn

has your teacher never encountered the "when i run it through my head it looks completely perfect but it just doesn't fucking work when i run it on my computer" type of bug?

wait, he/she is a college CS teacher. of course not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

31. Post #951
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,819 Posts
    That's anywhere from annoying to rather cruel depending on how complex your algorithms get in the class.
    Code:
    if customer < 65 
    discount = 0
    else
    discount = 0.10
    yep

Edited:

what a terrible method to learn

has your teacher never encountered the "when i run it through my head it looks completely perfect but it just doesn't fucking work when i run it on my computer" type of bug?

wait, he/she is a college CS teacher. of course not.
    She also teaches C++ here iirc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

32. Post #952
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Code:
    if customer < 65 
    discount = 0
    else
    discount = 0.10
    yep
    I used to do that.

I also used to do
    for(int i=0;i<50;i++)
    {
     if(i == 10)
       1+1; //Skip
     else
       //Do shit
    }

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #953
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,819 Posts
    I used to do that.

I also used to do
    for(int i=0;i<50;i++)
    {
     if(i == 10)
       1+1; //Skip
     else
       //Do shit
    }

Don't show the class that, else they'll have seizures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

34. Post #954
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,129 Posts
    Hey guys, thought I'd show you all a small bit of my current dissertation work, the basic concepts from it to see what you think. My dissertation is on the concept of neural networks and its use in handwriting recognition, and here's something I worked on tonight to visualise how a neural network can be used for data classification. Due to weirdness with the sigmoid activation function it currently uses the sine function, hence why it looks a bit "curvy".

Here's the run down of what stuff represents.

the X of the graph is one of the network inputs, the Y the other.
    The colour red represents an outputted value of 1, and blue is a value of two, any colours between that are values between 0 and 1.
    The coloured circles are the training values, the colour representing the desired output at that point.
    The colours being displayed in the graph are what the network is outputting when the values are at that point.

I can show you all more neural network stuff that I'm doing if you want, and if you guys want a tutorial on basic neural networks I'd like to write one at some point, but only would if people were interested.
    Definitely interested, I've had trouble figuring out how they work but that picture really sorts it out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

35. Post #955
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    957 Posts
    Been working on an assignment for a course, creating a simple http proxy in C++. (Writing this post through it)
    At first I was going to build it on top of a networking lib I had written but "In this assignment, you are expected to use only the basic libraries available for socket programming."
    Right now it only works for GET, POST, and CONNECT (Which wasn't part of the assignment). It can read through and filter content (redirect to error page) based on words in the URL or words in the text of the page.

I would show you a screenshot but it's just loads of lines saying stuff like: "<pid>: <method> <host>" (It forks to allow several simultaneous connections)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #956
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,758 Posts
    I remember some people in here talking about an awesome c++ networking library, but I cannot remember the name of it; can anyone refresh my memory?

I'm looking into getting the multi-player part of my SS13 clone done, and I really don't want to struggle with my horrid networking wrapper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

37. Post #957
    April 2011
    1,627 Posts
    raknet

enet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Optimistic x 2Useful x 2Agree x 2Dumb x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

38. Post #958
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Well, that's not too bad from a cost perspective, as bags with low-power transistors are about as expensive as a popsicle.
    It'll of course be a lot of work to solder it all together, but hey, it's the things we do for gaining invaluable knowledge.
    When I was actually thinking about doing this, I think my most conservative estimates came close to 1k transistors (and even those would be minimal, fairly useless computers). That's getting to the point where, if it didn't work the first time when I applied power, I'd probably just sit and stare blankly at it for a few minutes, then tuck it away in a cardboard box somewhere, rather than have to try to debug it.

The design is easy/fun, but the actual construction, if you were to attempt it, would likely be the single most tedious endeavor that a human being ever undertook. If you look at all the homebrew computers people have actually built, they're all made with at least medium scale integrated circuits.

If you didn't have to worry about memory or working registers, you could probably make the ALU and the instruction decoding hardware from discrete transistors, but even that would take some work. Like I said, too, I think relays are simpler. For instance, a single SPDT relay can act as a 2:1 (or 1:2) multiplexer, wheras it would take like 12 transistors to implement the same function (3 NAND gates, four transistors each if CMOS).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #959
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    588 Posts
    Thought I'd post this here even though it's kind of an old project now.

Reason it's relevant again is because I'll be demoing it tomorrow to a bunch of high school students interested in game programming. They asked me to make a video to demonstrate it instead of actually running the program. So this is what I've got.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 15 (list)

40. Post #960
    July 2011
    87 Posts
    They asked me to make a video to demonstrate it instead of actually running the program.
    The best thing about a physics engine/demo is the real-time interaction! Sucks to be confined to a video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)