1. Post #1841
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts

Oh gawd, multi colors and buttons. The buttons are a complete hack, but I don't give a shit! Using HTML5 and javascript for blackberry apps is fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #1842
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    Submitted the Unicode window title patch to SFML developer. Nope. Guess I'm moving my entire codebase back to SDL.
    yeah, because sdl is known to be more progressive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 21Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #1843
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Submitted the Unicode window title patch to SFML developer. Nope. Guess I'm moving my entire codebase back to SDL.
    So, the SFML developer rejected it then? I guess that's what you get for trying to make something better and more usable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

4. Post #1844
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,432 Posts
    Why did they reject it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #1845
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    yeah, because sdl is known to be more progressive
    It has Unicode support. Even if it's god damn awful, it has what I need.

Edited:

So, the SFML developer rejected it then? I guess that's what you get for trying to make something better and more usable.
    Why did they reject it?
    You can read more about it at the Github pull request.

Note: The reason why I'm changing isn't that they won't pull it. It's because they don't have the feature that I need.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #1846
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    Never heard the song :D I just came up with the name when thinking my game is about finding new lands.

The song is quite good, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #1847
    Off to a great start

Fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

8. Post #1848
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts

Edited:

Note: The reason why I'm changing isn't that they won't pull it. It's because they don't have the feature that I need.
    Wait a sec, what's the feature? If it was unicode titles then surely you just added that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

9. Post #1849
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    require "md5" without .lua
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

10. Post #1850
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Wait a sec, what's the feature? If it was unicode titles then surely you just added that?
    I added Unicode window titles, sent the guy code, he won't put it in SFML2. I kind of have a 'no modifying third party libraries unless having the patch on their side' rule, otherwise you could end up in a vicious cycle like Desurium where they have multiple libraries all patched in their source tree, with no record of the changes, or some being a fork.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

11. Post #1851
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    I added Unicode window titles, sent the guy code, he won't put it in SFML2. I kind of have a 'no modifying third party libraries unless having the patch on their side' rule, otherwise you could end up in a vicious cycle like Desurium where they have multiple libraries all patched in their source tree, with no record of the changes, or some being a fork.
    Could you clarify that a bit more please, why does it matter if you modify a your copy of the source code to suit your means?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

12. Post #1852
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts

Got some cool, basic lighting going on, with help from Boomer678.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4 (list)

13. Post #1853
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts

Edited:

They won't pull it for an entirely valid reason though. It's not a bullshitter - if you're going to implement Unicode, do it right and do it thoroughly. Not partially, not partially with updates coming soon, not partially with solid code, completely and well thought out while conforming to their design goals and code guidelines.

The reason they rejected your code is the same reason I reject code for Half-Life 2: Sandbox, and why every other anal project in the world (read: solid) rejects implementations.

Hentie gave me a 4000+ line patch once for Half-Life 2: Sandbox, and out of all of his changes and implementations I implemented one function which was useful, which came out to be a whopping total of ~5 lines of code. At the most, .125% of his work was suitable for the project.

That's life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

14. Post #1854
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,159 Posts
    Been away from home for too long :/ adding 3d polar plots in (r, theta, phi). Here's a sphere:

Not quite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

15. Post #1855
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    There is no escape from it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 4Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

16. Post #1856
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    They won't pull it for an entirely valid reason though. It's not a bullshitter - if you're going to implement Unicode, do it right and do it thoroughly. Not partially, not partially with updates coming soon, not partially with solid code, completely and well thought out while conforming to their design goals and code guidelines.

The reason they rejected your code is the same reason I reject code for Half-Life 2: Sandbox, and why every other anal project in the world (read: solid) rejects implementations.

Hentie gave me a 4000+ line patch once for Half-Life 2: Sandbox, and out of all of his changes and implementations I implemented one function which was useful, which came out to be a whopping total of ~5 lines of code. At the most, .125% of his work was suitable for the project.

That's life.
    I didn't say the reason was invalid -- I said that if they don't have the feature, I'm using something that does.

Edited:

because we all take you seriously now

Edited:

Could you clarify that a bit more please, why does it matter if you modify a your copy of the source code to suit your means?
    It doesn't. It matters that it's modified upstream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

17. Post #1857
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Why don't you fork it, add what you need and use that? You can always pull in new code from upstream later
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

18. Post #1858
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    Messing with lighting:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #1859
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Why don't you fork it, add what you need and use that? You can always pull in new code from upstream later
    I considered this, but because at this stage it's a design issue, my changes may be fucked over by his.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

20. Post #1860
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,159 Posts
    There we go, just a missing cos when I was converting to cartesian space. Fixed the lighting too - decided to do it after coordinate conversion, saved a lot of headaches:

Code:
    r = theta * phi + sin(time)
    I have no idea why it makes that shape. Polar relations mess with my brain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Programming King Programming King x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #1861

January 2012
    414 Posts
    Polar relations mess with my brain
    Enter reason why I got a terrible grade in multivariate calculus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

22. Post #1862
    It's a boomer! Watch out!
    March 2009
    1,518 Posts

Making some dungeon generator thing using C++ and sfml. It still needs some improvement

edit:
    fixed it a bit,heres a pic showing the hallways in blue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 9Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #1863
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Do you have any demo showing HDR + tonemapping because my previous implementation used osgPPU witch used mipmaps to do tonemapping. I really have no idea how to use mipmaps with glsl (can't find info on this anywhere) and it's the only thing preventing mefrom porting real HDR.
    glGenerateMipmap(GL_TEXTURE_2D) is sufficient to generate the mip chain, which I'm guessing is all you need if you're applying some sort of local operator (or building a histogram, etc.). This function is core as of OpenGL >=3.0, but it should be pretty common as an extension, even on older cards, as it is part of GL_ARB_framebuffer_object. If you actually need filtering for some reason, it's just a matter of a few calls to glTexParameteri().

I don't know about mipmap access from GLSL. Filtering is done transparently so, as far as I know, GLSL has no knowledge of mipmapping. (Edit: The textureLod() functions appear to allow access to individual mip levels within GLSL)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

24. Post #1864
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts

I'll race you to finishing my build system.

Edited:

You rated me zing robo_donut, but I'm actually working on it again. (And I've actually got it working this time. 2 years? PFFFT More like 8 hours)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

25. Post #1865
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,003 Posts

Making some dungeon generator thing using C++ and sfml. It still needs some improvement

edit:
    fixed it a bit,heres a pic showing the hallways in blue
    Why highlight the hallways?
    Other than that and the fact that the hallway highlighting at the edge looks kinda stupid, it's pretty fucking nice work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

26. Post #1866
    It's a boomer! Watch out!
    March 2009
    1,518 Posts
    Other than that and the fact that the hallway highlighting at the edge looks kinda stupid, it's pretty fucking nice work.
    I just made them blue for now so i can see them easier and debug problems with them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

27. Post #1867
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,097 Posts

They're making wobbly pink polygons at the moment, but it's at least a start. Next to the weapons programming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #1868
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts

I added highlighting and the ability to clear the page. As you can see that is a beautiful picture of a blue winter forest by the hilles, next to a long valley that gushes with a strange yellow water. I guess I could it was NSFW, but then again - that is true art.

Now to package and test on the VM. Then onto submission!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic x 11Artistic x 2Funny x 2Useful x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

29. Post #1869
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    boner while taking a piss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

30. Post #1870
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    boner while taking a piss
    That is awfully crude of you.

Also it seems that I may have wasted my time. Apparently you had to regester as a vendor before the 15th to be eligble. I've tweeted at BlackBerryDev to ask about it, but it seems I'm too late. That sucks, why would you make it so you need to be registered on the 15th but submit by the 2nd of March?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

31. Post #1871
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    That is awfully crude of you.

Also it seems that I may have wasted my time. Apparently you had to regester as a vendor before the 15th to be eligble. I've tweeted at BlackBerryDev to ask about it, but it seems I'm too late. That sucks, why would you make it so you need to be registered on the 15th but submit by the 2nd of March?
    processing vendor registrations takes quite a bit of time in some cases, some vendors are required to fax or email government-issue ID before they're approved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

32. Post #1872
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,632 Posts
    Well, I'd imagine it would help quite a bit for debugging, as that difference is usually made with your generation algorithms.

-Well, ninja'd by the person himself :]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #1873
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    415 Posts
    glGenerateMipmap(GL_TEXTURE_2D) is sufficient to generate the mip chain, which I'm guessing is all you need if you're applying some sort of local operator (or building a histogram, etc.). This function is core as of OpenGL >=3.0, but it should be pretty common as an extension, even on older cards, as it is part of GL_ARB_framebuffer_object. If you actually need filtering for some reason, it's just a matter of a few calls to glTexParameteri().

I don't know about mipmap access from GLSL. Filtering is done transparently so, as far as I know, GLSL has no knowledge of mipmapping. (Edit: The textureLod() functions appear to allow access to individual mip levels within GLSL)

Alright I got mipmaps working correctly, The textureLod() did the job. It's weird because in osgPPU they output a buffer for each mipmap level... It's seem a little overkill since you can simply re render a quad while changing the mipmap LOD for each pass since it's only needed for the brightpass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

34. Post #1874
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    processing vendor registrations takes quite a bit of time in some cases, some vendors are required to fax or email government-issue ID before they're approved
    If I'm reading correct it says I have to submit my registration by the 15th, which I have not done. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

35. Post #1875
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,047 Posts
    Fixed grid issues, and implemented screen panning!

and for content, here's me making an SS:MM:H timer:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 22Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #1876
    March 2008
    131 Posts
    Fixed grid issues, and implemented screen panning!

and for content, here's me making an SS:MM:H timer:

Are you planning to open source this? I'd love to see how you handled the wire layout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

37. Post #1877
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,047 Posts
    Are you planning to open source this?
    Planning, yes. (I really want to clean up the code first though. It's not messy, it's just bad variable names and that kind of crap)

I'd love to see how you handled the wire layout.
    There is no wire class at all. The only things that represent wires are just the array of points, and drawing lines. Data like "what components are are connected to" and output values are stored in Input and Output port arrays inside the Lua Component (buttons, chips, screens, etc) class.

If it's sending data you're looking for, it's actually pretty simple for the most part, but I've also implemented some safety mechanisms to prevent things like infinite loops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

38. Post #1878

August 2011
    192 Posts
    health/mana/xp bar
    mobs now drop loot (mainly health/mana potions)

level up works (no animation as of yet) but the exp system is pretty much finished.

next up: skilltree (finally some real action!)
    but I'll be probably refactoring the next few days. lots of things I'm not happy with!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 6Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

39. Post #1879
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    Damn you Dwarf Fortress. It's all I've been working on lately.

Arrrgh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

40. Post #1880
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    Improved my track dumping implementation some more, figured out the maximum substream block size we can request is 1MB, so now we're asking for the largest possible every request.

This brings down the download time for a 3:30 320k MP3 to roughly 3 seconds down from over 10 seconds. Epic optimisation, go!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)