1. Post #3001
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,008 Posts
    You have some weird white pixels on the rounded part of the icon. I don't know why, but I am going to assume that you are having the icon be pre-rounded. You shouldn't make your icon pre-rounded.
    Yeah, I wasn't aware that iOS handled that type of thing for you in the manner it does, thanks for pointing that out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #3002
    Here's a very very very early minimum-playable crappy version of my game

Edited:

Editing mode is on by default
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3003
    May 2010
    5,401 Posts
    Does anyone know of any platformer pathfinding AI resources?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #3004
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,831 Posts
    Trying to do some A* for my enemies. Usually it works, but every now and then I get an infinite loop when backtracking. A points to B. B points to A etc. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

5. Post #3005
    September 2001
    12,410 Posts
    My advice on AI pathfinding is think how you would make it work if you were manually placing nodes.. then get it working that way.

And only then try to generate the nodes automatically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3006
    hOnK :o)
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts

Edited:

This is fun.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #3007
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    795 Posts

Edited:

I won.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #3008
    December 2010
    15 Posts
    I've been working on some running animations for Block Runner 2 the last few hours, what do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3009
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,144 Posts
    If the platformer is tile-based it should be that hard.
    It's the same as with top down, only you don't spread to surrounding cells, you spread left and right and, if possible, to a ledge that's low enough that the enemy can jump on it.

It's not a trivial thing to do but it isn't the biggest of challenges.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

10. Post #3010
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Hi guys,

idunno what i doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #3011
    Btw, holding middle mouse button activates fly mode - forgot to tell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #3012
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

I hate you outdated things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #3013
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,831 Posts
    Got A* working. I forgot to clear the parent after each search

It's not using every tile ingame to find a path. Instead I make a graph network, like source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

14. Post #3014
    May 2010
    5,401 Posts
    If the platformer is tile-based it should be that hard.
    It's the same as with top down, only you don't spread to surrounding cells, you spread left and right and, if possible, to a ledge that's low enough that the enemy can jump on it.

It's not a trivial thing to do but it isn't the biggest of challenges.
    hmm wat would you say is the best one? I think A* would be too overpowered for what I need I just want a simple one that is fast to run
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #3015
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

wat

also alias is the best command ever
    Code:
    alias ls=dir
    alias mv=move
    alias cp=copy
    alias rm=del
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #3016
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,847 Posts
    Do you guys have any opinions on WPF vs WinForms for a fairly simple program with a basic UI?

I have experience with neither, but I get mixed opinions when I google it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #3017
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,144 Posts
    hmm wat would you say is the best one? I think A* would be too overpowered for what I need I just want a simple one that is fast to run
    Well it doesn't really work like that.
    Djikstra is the most "bare bones" one that would work for your case (a weighted graph) but A* is just Djikstra with heuristics so it doesn't matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3018

August 2007
    192 Posts
    http://gyazo.com/c905b9dd512baf8623936fcf00309da9
    At Bungie... programmer art is allowed to roam free...

Take note of the string with the username in, then the button to change the username.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #3019
    February 2010
    5,576 Posts

Edited:

I come in this thread for inspiration and to try out what others have made and I have to say that I really like this, very simple concept but really fun. Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #3020
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Do you guys have any opinions on WPF vs WinForms for a fairly simple program with a basic UI?

Depends what you need. If you need mono compatibility or something simple go with winforms. Otherwise go with WPF. Nice things about wpf are, newer editor, xml format which makes editing a lot easier, faster, etc.

21. Post #3021
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    323 Posts

Well, it depends on how basic you're going. WinForms is nice for a 'quick and dirty' UI solution; but if you want to have more control over how the UI is put together or how it looks, WPF is probably more useful.

From my experience of using both, I'd say WPF is more design oriented than WinForms is.

WinForms for the most part is compatible with Mono, if you plan on doing something cross-platform that is. WPF however, is not compatible with Mono.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

22. Post #3022
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    You could also use GTK#

http://www.mono-project.com/GtkSharp

23. Post #3023
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,847 Posts
    I think I'll just use winforms since the application is going to pretty simple. Thanks!

On a somewhat related note: Why the hell are there so many dead links on the MSDN...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3024
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    98 Posts

Working on getting that to generate with Lua. Got this so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 15Funny x 9Informative x 1Dumb x 1Friendly x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

25. Post #3025
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,067 Posts
    I just created a saving-system for my maps, now just a loading system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #3026
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,061 Posts
    I stole Dj-J3's light thing

Also multicolour. Wiring 255 to the R input of the light:

local on = false
    local r = 255
    local g = 255
    local b = 255
    local img_glow = Image()
    local spr_glow = Sprite()

function Component:onSpawn()
    	self:SetImage("display_light_base.png")
    	img_glow:Load("display_light_glow.png")
    	spr_glow:SetImage(img_glow)
    	spr_glow:SetBlendMode(BLEND_ADD)

self:SetToolTip("Light\nOff")

self:SetInputs({
    		{"On", TYPE_NUMBER, 2, 12},
    		{"R", TYPE_NUMBER, 2, 20},
    		{"G", TYPE_NUMBER, 2, 28},
    		{"B", TYPE_NUMBER, 2, 36}
    	})
    end

local prev_on = false
    local inputs = nil
    function Component:onInputsTriggered()
    	prev_on = on
    	inputs = self:GetInputsTable()
    	on = (inputs[1] ~= 0)

if(on) then
    		if(self:IsConnected(2) or self:IsConnected(3) or self:IsConnected(4)) then
    			r = inputs[2]
    			g = inputs[3]
    			b = inputs[4]
    		end
    		spr_glow:SetColor( Color(r, g, b, inputs[1]*255) )
    	end

-- if state didn't change, don't bother setting the tooltip. (optimization)
    	if(on == prev_on) then return end

if( on ) then
    		self:SetToolTip("Light\nOn")
    	else
    		self:SetToolTip("Light\nOff")
    	end
    end

function Component:onDraw()
    	if(on) then
    		self:Draw(spr_glow)
    	end
    end

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #3027
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,046 Posts
    Maurice is beating me in optimistics? I better post more rainbows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 14Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #3028
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,095 Posts

looks like agop doesn't want anyone taking his throne.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

29. Post #3029
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    haha biggest idiot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb x 22Funny x 4Winner x 1Programming King x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #3030
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,847 Posts
    Oh boy here we go...

Just so there is some content, taking a break from RTS to make a little practical tool for myself. It figures out whatever key you are in based off the guitar chords/notes you enter. It's not done yet but coming along surprisingly quickly.

If anyone else is a fellow musician wannabe and is interested let me know and I can upload it when it is done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #3031
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,223 Posts

To be fair that was mostly due to that vote we did for that game. Right? Right guys? Guys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 21Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #3032
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    on the bright side, i get an entire row to myself, with my name stamped all over it. what more could i want :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

33. Post #3033
    TAIWANESE v.2

May 2011
    2,662 Posts
    -snip-

34. Post #3034
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,847 Posts
    on the bright side, i get an entire row to myself, with my name stamped all over it. what more could i want :D
    I have to admit, it's pretty impressive how well you take all the flak some people give you, and the fact that you choose to stick around. Good for you man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #3035
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,008 Posts
    I have to admit, it's pretty impressive how well you take all the flak some people give you, and the fact that you choose to stick around. Good for you man.
    I agree. He gets a lot of shit thrown at him, very little of it sticks (And props to you for metaphorically dodging their shit), but if it does, people hop all over it and say, "Oh my GOD, he's SUCH an asshole! Look what he did THIS time!", and then continue to throw more shit at him.

It's a vicious cycle and I've always wondered why nobody's been banned for flaming him.

EDIT:
    I've also seen him through all the incidents that you guys like to cite, and I've also seen him try to move it to water under the bridge, and you guys shoot him down because you like to have a scapegoat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #3036
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    in the meantime, this gave me a good chuckle

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 19Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #3037
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,095 Posts
    it's pretty impressive how well you take all the flak some people give you, and the fact that you choose to stick around.
    you must be new.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #3038
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,906 Posts

Whatever you say, satan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

39. Post #3039
    Person
    June 2008
    5,693 Posts

Whatever you say, satan.
    You didn't need to look at his post count to deduce that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 19Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #3040
    October 2010
    476 Posts

Ugh... that fps. Drawing 3.6k tiles with sfml should not bring you down to 40 fps blargh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)