1. Post #1
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Gotta keep the thread going right

I watched Goodfellas for the very first time. i am PLEASED, 9/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree x 4Informative x 2Zing x 1Late x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    Constantine
    7.5/10
    Great action/horror movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,592 Posts
    Carnage: 6/10

Expected something better but Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly were really hilarious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    Drive - 9/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,602 Posts
    Rubber - whatthefuckdidijustwatch/10.

On a more serious note, it was kind of like a bright blue chocolate cake. Looks completely absurd and I only got it because it was relatively cheap and it sounded weird and funny. And I was pleasantly surprised. It's actually quite decent. Like the premise (a car tire with telekinetic powers becomes sentient and goes on a murder spree, I shit you not), the movie is completely absurd. One of the actors actually comes on at the start (in character or not, I'm not sure) and says that the movie is a homage to the 'no reason' style of elements and it's certainly that.
    Oh yeah, there's also a few layers of self-awareness. Spoiler alert:    The tire and its actions are actually being watched by a group of tourists with binoculars who signed up for some tour or something, a bit vague. Then they all (save one) get poisoned with a turkey and one of the actors has himself shot by one of his deputies to prove that it isn't real and that they can quit until they find out that one person didn't eat the turkey so they have to keep going. Towards the end, the sole surviving spectator actually gives the actors some complaints because he thinks it's too slow and he gets killed by the reincarnated tire.    It's not terrible, it's mediocre at best. It feels so unnecessary.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. 7/10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Constantine
    7.5/10
    Great action/horror movie.
    it's a good movie but not past 7/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

7. Post #7
    Chief Gunnery Sgt. of the SS Shitpost
    March 2009
    15,943 Posts
    The Thing (2011)

Eh, nowhere near as good as the John Carpenter remake, that's for damn sure. Still, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I was going to.

5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,144 Posts
    Gladiator

7/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Caragolpe

I thought that it was gonna be really mediocre, but it ended up being actually good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    OFWGKTA
    July 2011
    9,687 Posts

I thought that it was gonna be really mediocre, but it ended up being actually good.
    You won't think the same for the second and third one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    3,622 Posts
    The Shining 10/10 was fucking great. Put me on the edge of my seat the entire time, it was extremely good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

12. Post #12
    Caragolpe
    You won't think the same for the second and third one.
    Yeah, everyone told me that the second one is horrible, don't know about the third one.
    The problem is that I want to know what happened, so I'm forced to watch them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,933 Posts
    Finally went and saw Inception. Much, much better than I expected.

I didn't feel the plot was too contrived or over-complex, and I thought the sub-stories were very interesting. 8.5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,076 Posts
    I posted a thing over at Blu-ray.com directed towards fans of the Thing prequel film who refuse to acknowledge just how bad it was.

I figure I could post it here as it's relevant

Nostromo posted:
    I disagree. I think this version is a worthy companion piece to the Carpenter version. :)

Well, it's not though, so you're wrong. It utterly destroys everything that made the original so good. Let's take a look:

The thing in it's true form is revealed.
    This removes all mystery from the creature, as it's never seen in the Carpenter version, and for good reason. It gives something a face that should never have been given a face, the only faces it should have are that of the people and things it assimilates. This creates a much better and creepier vibe in the original that the prequel totally disregarded 'cuz it would be cool to see it lol!!'.

The thing is a flailing, spastic mess. It's also really stupid.
    In the original, the thing waited patiently to strike at the best moment, only revealing itself when it's absolutely cornered with no way out, or when it's totally alone with a person to guarantee assimilation. The victim only realises when it's far too late, a single touch is enough to start the takeover process.

In the prequel, the thing seems to love revealing itself whenever and however it can. Whenever somebody so much as begins to suspect a person of being a thing, it basically jumps out of it's human shell and flails around the room spastically knocking shit over and wailing. Even in the one on one scenes when it's stalked it's prey into a room, it begins to transform before attacking them, a process that's so long it gives the victim ample time to see it and run away. Why would it do this? It's completely counter productive to it's goals. It has to be pretty stupid to do most of the stuff it did in the prequel, instead of being the silent predator it was in the first.

And the space ship. The god damn space ship. Don't even get me started on that. That was the most retarded thing ever. You saw far too much of it, and it even took off. Where's the mystery in that? Oh look a space ship lets go inside. Oh it's taking off now oops. Nothing is left to shroud the thing in suspense and darkness. Far, far too much is revealed about it. It just becomes a monster of the week.

Oh, and the main character had absolutely no personality, and the plot was so poorly strung together just so they could rip off scenes from the first film, but totally defeat the point of them and ruin them in the process.

This movie is not good. You absolutely cannot argue with anything I've said, unless you're completely blind and like bad movies despite their overwhelming flaws because you just absorb information and don't think about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 13Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    I posted a thing over at Blu-ray.com directed towards fans of the Thing prequel film who refuse to acknowledge just how bad it was.

I figure I could post it here as it's relevant

Well, it's not though, so you're wrong. It utterly destroys everything that made the original so good. Let's take a look:

The thing in it's true form is revealed.
    This removes all mystery from the creature, as it's never seen in the Carpenter version, and for good reason. It gives something a face that should never have been given a face, the only faces it should have are that of the people and things it assimilates. This creates a much better and creepier vibe in the original that the prequel totally disregarded 'cuz it would be cool to see it lol!!'.

The thing is a flailing, spastic mess. It's also really stupid.
    In the original, the thing waited patiently to strike at the best moment, only revealing itself when it's absolutely cornered with no way out, or when it's totally alone with a person to guarantee assimilation. The victim only realises when it's far too late, a single touch is enough to start the takeover process.

In the prequel, the thing seems to love revealing itself whenever and however it can. Whenever somebody so much as begins to suspect a person of being a thing, it basically jumps out of it's human shell and flails around the room spastically knocking shit over and wailing. Even in the one on one scenes when it's stalked it's prey into a room, it begins to transform before attacking them, a process that's so long it gives the victim ample time to see it and run away. Why would it do this? It's completely counter productive to it's goals. It has to be pretty stupid to do most of the stuff it did in the prequel, instead of being the silent predator it was in the first.

And the space ship. The god damn space ship. Don't even get me started on that. That was the most retarded thing ever. You saw far too much of it, and it even took off. Where's the mystery in that? Oh look a space ship lets go inside. Oh it's taking off now oops. Nothing is left to shroud the thing in suspense and darkness. Far, far too much is revealed about it. It just becomes a monster of the week.

Oh, and the main character had absolutely no personality, and the plot was so poorly strung together just so they could rip off scenes from the first film, but totally defeat the point of them and ruin them in the process.

This movie is not good. You absolutely cannot argue with anything I've said, unless you're completely blind and like bad movies despite their overwhelming flaws because you just absorb information and don't think about it.
    i also saw the original the other day.

and you're right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2009
    3,687 Posts
    I almost shed a tear when i saw the spaceship :'(
    i wasn't surprised, i knew hollywood would do something so cheap and ruin the ending completely even tho the movie was bad already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,704 Posts
    Shadow of the Vampire

WILLEM DAFOE IS ONE CREEPY MOTHERFUCKER/10

having only watched the original Nosferatu for the first time last week, I saw no harm in seeing the "movie about the making a movie".

Stars John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe. Both great actors.

But fucking hell Dafoe's performance in it is damn good. Arhgh it's more creepy than the original just for that reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,076 Posts
    dafowns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2010
    751 Posts
    Cowboys and Aliens

6/10

Eh it kept me interested towards the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Nyan~:3
    December 2009
    5,723 Posts
    The Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

5/10

Only because I like Brendan Fraser
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    The Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

5/10

Only because I like Brendan Fraser
    Replacing Rachel Weisz and making the kid grown up ruined that movie for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2010
    751 Posts
    What I never got is how he went from a British child into a young American adult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    TT3D: Closer to the Edge (2011) - 10/10

It's more of a Documentary than a film but the cinematography and sound is excellent. You don't have to be into bikes to enjoy it. The TT races are crazy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #24
    September 2009
    9,647 Posts
    "Kidnapped"

7/10, would watch again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events

25. Post #25
    November 2011
    42 Posts
    Requiem for a Dream - Director's Cut
    10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,317 Posts
    I don't know, I think the football playing yeti's might have something to do with me not liking that movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    watched alien

8/10

while it captured that setting perfectly (and ships like that are my favorite horror scenarios. it's what made dead space 1 better than 2 for me) it seemed a little too hasty for my taste (the ending and the picking off one by one thing mostly), i like my horror movies to crawl. watching aliens now.

also i've got the quadrilogy box set so i'm watching the special versions with cut scenes.

Edited:

also the lighting in the end just before she gets to the ship when the giant fan illuminates and shadows her face was insanely fucking awesome. it was so artificial, if i wasn't so tired at the time i would have played dead space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,704 Posts
    why do you keep mentioning dead space?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    i say dead space twice in the post.

stop failing and being a dick and post some shit about a movie you just watched or cut it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,249 Posts
    Full Metal Jacket 7/10

first time ive watched it, the start with pvt. piles was good but it didn't really have much of an ending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,374 Posts
    TT3D: Closer to the Edge (2011) - 10/10

It's more of a Documentary than a film but the cinematography and sound is excellent. You don't have to be into bikes to enjoy it. The TT races are crazy!
    Did you hear about that on Radio 1 too? Sounds awesome.

I really really want to see Martha Marcy May Marlene but can't find a single cinema in Glasgow or Edinburgh showing it this weekend. Annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

32. Post #32
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    watched alien

8/10

while it captured that setting perfectly (and ships like that are my favorite horror scenarios. it's what made dead space 1 better than 2 for me) it seemed a little too hasty for my taste (the ending and the picking off one by one thing mostly), i like my horror movies to crawl. watching aliens now.

also i've got the quadrilogy box set so i'm watching the special versions with cut scenes.

Edited:

also the lighting in the end just before she gets to the ship when the giant fan illuminates and shadows her face was insanely fucking awesome. it was so artificial, if i wasn't so tired at the time i would have played dead space.
    lmao alien was too HASTY for you??

good lord
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Did you hear about that on Radio 1 too? Sounds awesome.
    No. I saw a trailer for it months ago. It only just came out on Blu-Ray.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2274204953/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #34
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,209 Posts
    Kill Bill 7.5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12 (list)

35. Post #35
    Otter Member
    May 2011
    4,604 Posts
    2001: A Space Odyssey - 7/10

I thought it was alright, I didn't think it was spectacular, and it didn't change my life. I thought the effects were really good for a movie made back in 1968, but as for a lot of the other stuff:

-The music was alright, wasn't good, wasn't bad, it was alright.
    -I got tired of looking at those fucking monkeys within the first two minutes, let alone the other 15 minutes.
    -wtf happened at the end
    -Sequences in the movie are long as fuck. Honestly, I don't think we need to watch a ship docking to a station for eight minutes before something actually happens.
     So Dave just ditched that other guy and let him drift in space? Wow Dave, nice job.   
    -People give this too much credit by calling it Kubrick's "best" movie. Come on now.

Well those are my cons. Now for some pros:

-Very artsy, a lot of the stuff was pretty to look at, and really well put together for a movie as aged as it is.
     I actually kinda felt bad for HAL when Dave was killing his memory. I never thought I would have had that kind of emotion towards a homicidal machine. What really did it was when HAL kept saying he "was scared" and when he started to sing "Daisy".   
    -Pretty relaxing
    -Ending leaves you thinking.

Overall, I don't think the movie is the best Kubrick movie ever made. Not by a long shot. Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, etc. have the essential needs that make a movie a movie, and I'm not saying 2001 isn't a movie, I'm just saying it's missing a lot of key elements.

There's my 5 cents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,192 Posts
    watched alien

8/10

Edited:

if you really want to see dead space: the movie watch event horizon
    even isaac's helmet kinda reminds me of the ship itself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    i don't want dead space the movie. by itself it's really good, don't need a movie. it's probably better by itself as a video game. really when i watch movies like this i just end up playing games like it.

and apparently event horizon kinda sucks.

lmao alien was too HASTY for you??

good lord
    no, i meant to say towards the end. it really sort of went into overdrive and pulled a sunshine    everyone who's left dies fast and emptily   

the beginning is incredible, i'm talking about the last 30 maybe 15 minutes. the movie could have been longer.

i'm watching aliens right now and it's actually kind of better so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,825 Posts
    -I got tired of looking at those fucking monkeys within the first two minutes, let alone the other 15 minutes.
    I could give a shit about the other stuff, but this? The Dawn of Man segment was fucking awesomely done jesus christ. How could you have possible gotten tired of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    Otter Member
    May 2011
    4,604 Posts
    I could give a shit about the other stuff, but this? The Dawn of Man segment was fucking awesomely done jesus christ. How could you have possible have gotten tired of it?
    I can only handle so many seconds of screaming monkeys.

i want to see space goddammit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    The Artist:
    9/10

holy shit

Edited:

that dream sequence was weird as shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)