1. Post #2641
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,186 Posts
    Ponyo - I can't really give a proper review of the movie as I only caught just over the last hour of it. From what I saw, it was good. The voice acting was great and I kicked myself when Liam Neeson's name came up in the credits, I'd been trying to place the voice every time he spoke. The story confused me quite a bit, I don't know whether I would have to watch from the beginning to fully understand, but there were moments where I had no idea what was going on (for example, the old people running about whilst Lisa spoke to the goddess of mercy). There didn't seem to be any real villains which was refreshing. Of course the art style was gorgeous, nothing less can be expected from Studio Ghibli.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Seen it before, 9/10. Almost perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2642
    September 2011
    255 Posts
    2001: A Space Odyssey - 9.999999/10

One of the best and most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #2643
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,443 Posts
    Cloverfield - 8/10

Seen it several times before. I always hear a lot of people giving this film shit, but I really enjoy it and the style it was done in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #2644
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,933 Posts
    Another thing I feel is worth mentioning is the sound. Holy shizz, that mixing is unbelievable and unlike most which try to be "just loud", this is a waft of intense surround sound.
    I noticed that too. Having never seen the film before in the cinema I was really surprised at how amazing it sounded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #2645
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,186 Posts
    Cloverfield - 8/10

Seen it several times before. I always hear a lot of people giving this film shit, but I really enjoy it and the style it was done in.
    I followed the ARG for that religiously and so got quite a lot out of the film, I can understand why others wouldn't though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2646
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,933 Posts
    It did have a fantastic ARG. The slusho website is still up.
    http://www.slusho.jp/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

7. Post #2647
    You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    January 2007
    1,961 Posts
    Not a movie, but just spent the weekend watching all of Arrested Development for the first time. Being a fan of Seinfeld and Curb, I was told that AD had a very similar style of humour, and I had been interested in watching it for quite some time.

Glad I gave it a shot, definitely one of the best comedy series' I've seen. 9.5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #2648
    October 2011
    874 Posts
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

In my opinion: the best fucking movie ever made. Jesus christ I love it. 10/10

Snatch as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #2649
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,442 Posts
    2001: A Space Odyssey - 9.999999/10

One of the best and most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time.
    It's my favorite movie for a reason, and I just got done watching it actually, its gorgeous in 1080p.

Edited:

Cloverfield - 8/10

Most people don't like it because of the camera work.

Not everyone has a Steadicam and years of experience, Hud doesn't know how to really use a camera and is being chased around by monsters, so all things considered he did a good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

10. Post #2650
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,201 Posts
    I really want to appreciate 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I find myself getting bored every time I watch it.

I've seen it about 3 times now, but I haven't been able to love it as much as I'd like to. I'm a big Kubrick fan, but I can never fully enjoy it.

Then again, my favorite Kubrick movies are A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when I'm a bit older.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #2651
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,933 Posts
    I really want to appreciate 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I find myself getting bored every time I watch it.

I've seen it about 3 times now, but I haven't been able to love it as much as I'd like to. I'm a big Kubrick fan, but I can never fully enjoy it.
    Same. I don't like forcing myself to enjoy movies because of their status for fear of being ridiculed. It's the same thing with Pulp Fiction, I feel like I have to praise it because everyone else does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2652
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,201 Posts
    Same. I don't like forcing myself to enjoy movies because of their status for fear of being ridiculed. It's the same thing with Pulp Fiction, I feel like I have to praise it because everyone else does.
    I like Pulp Fiction, but it's not "perfect" in my eyes, just very good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

13. Post #2653
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,442 Posts

Then again, my favorite Kubrick movies are A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when I'm a bit older.
    No one's forcing you to like it, if you don't like it then you don't like it, it's no big deal.

Also I didn't think Eyes Wide Shut was very good, but it has been long damn time since I saw it and my taste in movies has changed drastically since then, so who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

14. Post #2654
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,201 Posts
    No one's forcing you to like it, if you don't like it then you don't like it, it's no big deal.

Also I didn't think Eyes Wide Shut was very good, but it has been long damn time since I saw it and my taste in movies has changed drastically since then, so who knows.
    I went into Eyes Wide Shut knowing one thing. It's Doug Walker's fifth favorite movie of all time.

I wasn't expecting too much, to be honest. It looked fairly artsy for my taste, but I thought it was great. After watching it, I said to myself "Wow, that was the first time in years I've been fully engrossed into a movie".

I was actually surprised at the amount of people that hated the first half of the movie, calling it "boring". I didn't really think so. The only complaints I have about the movie are fairly nit-picky. Some line reads like "STOP!" are pretty cheesy, but it didn't kill the experience.

It seems like one of those movies where you either love it or hate it. Same goes for 2001, I guess, but that's what I love about Kubrick. He never made the same movie twice. You never knew what you were going into, unlike directors like Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich where you know what you're going to get.

It could range from a violent war movie like Full Metal Jacket to a dark comedy like Dr. Strangelove. It's great to meet another Kubrick fan. I don't know any where I come from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

15. Post #2655
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,854 Posts
    yes
    there are quite a few movies that I don't like, but everyone else loves as if they were the best thing ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #2656
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    yes
    there are quite a few movies that I don't like, but everyone else loves as if they were the best thing ever
    Tintin :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

17. Post #2657
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    moneyball 9/10 (just because i dislike sports)

it's basically shot like primer but with a bigger budget and more focus on drama and less on technical mumbo jumbo, and there is absolutely no mind fuck whatsoever.

the things that really stand out that feel like primer are the many shots that seem very candid, like the camera was hidden, like the director wanted to tell a story not shoot a film. monologues or dialogues of mumbo jumbo were dubbed over montages of statistical screens, people looking over shit and stuff like that. oh, and the music, it really added to the broody genius feel that primer did so well.

also i'd like to say brad pitt was amazing. jonah hill was good too. the only problem with johan though is he's basically re-hashing his previous roles as a very overt and awkward guy to a very introverted awkward guy. as far as the film goes it fits, but for hill it's not a great leap in his personal diversity.

Edited:

oh and the ending was perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #2658
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    introverted
    I wanna watch it now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

19. Post #2659
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    actually it is a big leap for him. he's basically a semi-conflicted walk softly and carry a big stick.

it's also refreshing to see him spew smart dialogue rather than the normally retarded shit he does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #2660
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,063 Posts
    God Bless America: 7.2/10

Pretty decent film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #2661
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Star Wars: Attack of the Clones - 6/10

I had seen it before but decided I'd watch it again for old time sake. What I remembered were the battles, the discovery of the clones and the battle with Count Dooku. Once again, those elements made the movie fun to watch.

However, what I had forgotten was the amount of whining Anakin does throughout the movie. His constant cry for attention and feeble courting toward Amidala made me take two points from my end verdict.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #2662
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,854 Posts
    the greatest mysteries of the universe, #237740:

why did they choose Hayden Christensen for the role of anakin? how did they think that was a good idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

23. Post #2663

November 2010
    488 Posts
    Kill List 5/10

The very graphical violence helped set the mood they were after but the movie didn't deliver.

spoiler:    Didn't like the twist at all. It didn't exactly come from nowhere but at the same time I didn't care about it at all. From Dusk Till Dawn has a similar change in plot but I at least didn't just wait for the movie to end after it.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

24. Post #2664
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,852 Posts
    moneyball 9/10 (just because i dislike sports)

it's basically shot like primer but with a bigger budget and more focus on drama and less on technical mumbo jumbo, and there is absolutely no mind fuck whatsoever.

the things that really stand out that feel like primer are the many shots that seem very candid, like the camera was hidden, like the director wanted to tell a story not shoot a film. monologues or dialogues of mumbo jumbo were dubbed over montages of statistical screens, people looking over shit and stuff like that. oh, and the music, it really added to the broody genius feel that primer did so well.

also i'd like to say brad pitt was amazing. jonah hill was good too. the only problem with johan though is he's basically re-hashing his previous roles as a very overt and awkward guy to a very introverted awkward guy. as far as the film goes it fits, but for hill it's not a great leap in his personal diversity.

Edited:

oh and the ending was perfect.

Do you think I could still enjoy it even though I find sport really annoying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

25. Post #2665
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,920 Posts
    Do you think I could still enjoy it even though I find sport really annoying?
    How d'you mean annoying?

Watch something like Raging Bull but I wouldn't really call Moneyball ALL that much of a sporty movie, it's only about the coaches and the way they treat players. More of a "stategic" sport movie than your standard "Rocky/The Fighter".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #2666
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    House on Haunted Hill (1999) - 1/10...
    Jesus, I don't remember this being so god damned horrible when I last saw it.(probably 11 years ago)

It had potential to be seriously creepy but when you have the characters stand there for 20 minutes as the bad things come right towards them... it kind of negates any and all enjoyment.
    Geoffrey Rush is the only reason I watched the entire thing, I felt his character was the only one that wasn't completely retarded.

Grave Encounters - 5/10...
    Started off really damn spooky but the twist kind of ruined it for me on the whole.

Paranormal Activity - 7/10...
    Watched it again after a year or two, this time with a friend and it was suddenly creepier and better.
    Especially since we watched it at 1am in the pitch black.

Paranormal Activity 2 - 7.5...
    I actually liked this a lot better for some reason, it just felt like it was made better and the creeps were slightly more subtle and the descent into madness felt a lot better on the whole.

Watching the 3rd later, I actually don't mind that they're spitting out a new one every year... I mean they're made on shoe string budgets and the acting isn't absolutely terrible.
    But, they also seem to have a story to tell... and I just like watching these little families gradually go insane from hauntings.

Anyone have any other good ghost movies? It seems that they're actually a rarity, good ones that is.
    Seen Poltergeist, The Amityville Horror, and The Exorcist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

27. Post #2667
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,933 Posts
    Paranormal Activity 2 - 7.5...
    I actually liked this a lot better for some reason, it just felt like it was made better and the creeps were slightly more subtle and the descent into madness felt a lot better on the whole.
    I thought it was hilariously terrible and predictable, not scary in the least. But then I don't really find movies scary, the only one that's come close is 'The Blair Witch Project' but I would be surprised if you hadn't seen that.

Edited:

'The Woman In Black' has a lot of great jump scares but I wouldn't count that as scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #2668
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,920 Posts
    There's nothing I've seen that is truly frughtening, although surreal things like Eraserhead are freakier than anything like Paranormal Activity... by miles, it wouldn't be something I'd avoid because it's relaxing to watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2669
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,852 Posts
    I remember watching a movie that frightened me. It's called The Innocents, black and white 1961 movie. I watched it a few years ago and I remember it was really creepy. Maybe it won't have the same effect today, maybe it will who knows. You should check it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

30. Post #2670
    July 2009
    2,119 Posts
    Super - 5/10

I watched this after seeing some split opinion on it a few pages ago and I'm really not seeing where the praise came from. The earlier half of the movie where Frank
    is starting out as the Crimson Bolt is pretty good; Frank is clearly an unbalanced man and it seems as though the movie is about his descent into madness. But then
    about halfway through it shifts tone. Suddenly Frank, the man who    nearly beat a man to death for cutting in line at the cinema    is meant to actually be a hero,
    along with his sidekick who's suddenly revealed to be a bloodthirsty psychopath for no given reason. After this point it's all rushed, and I didn't care at all about what
    was happening because the first scenes of the movie don't properly show the events that are meant to be setting up the film, leaving me entirely uninvested. The villain
    here was pretty great; he sort of reminded me of the police chief from Leon, but he's really wasted with little screen time and almost no development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #2671
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,933 Posts
    I didn't think it was that bad but I do agree to a degree.

32. Post #2672
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Haywire - 8/10

Quite liked it. The action was pretty good and didn't give me the feeling one side was vastly superior at one point. The story was pretty good albeit a tad vague at times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

33. Post #2673
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    I saw Titanic for the first time- in a cinema, which was cool, the 3d on the other hand was okay I guess I lose all sense of depth 20 minutes in so it didn't really bother me.

Anyways, quite a good film. It did perhaps drag on a bit at times but ye apart from that i liked it. Very sad (i cried (as in teared up no weeping))

8/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #2674
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,920 Posts
    I saw Titanic for the first time- in a cinema, which was cool, the 3d on the other hand was okay I guess I lose all sense of depth 20 minutes in so it didn't really bother me.

Anyways, quite a good film. It did perhaps drag on a bit at times but ye apart from that i liked it. Very sad (i cried (as in teared up no weeping))

8/10
    There was a part where the 3D looked pretty great, I think it was a shot where the camera looks at the boat sinking then turns to the lifeboat which makes it feel as though you are on it. How they managed to do that is beyond me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #2675
    June 2009
    3,288 Posts
    I'll save myself the energy of typing up an essay.
    Thanks for posting this, I've watched about 3 hours of their vids today and subscribed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

36. Post #2676
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,854 Posts
    American Pie - The Reunion/The Meeting/whatever it's called

If you're a fan of American Pie, or if you just love childish jokes, you're gonna find this movie amazing. I mean, for American Pie standards, it's a pretty good movie, it's like the other ones, you're going to love them if you're a teenager, watching it with your teenager friends. It uses the exact same formula, which is only a good thing if you enjoyed them.

But again, it has lots of cliches, it has dick jokes, fart jokes, pretty meh stuff, too. Sometimes, the joke is just "oh hey, they're having sex" or "hey, it's a penis". Another thing I didn't like in this movie was that the ending didn't have as much impact as the other ones, it just felt too "okay", nothing special happened.

Basically, it's a good movie if you like American Pie, but it's far from being enjoyable if you like more "mature" humor.
    As for me, I liked it. Not a movie I'm going to remember forever, but I think I'm going to see the other American Pie movies again (I'm not sure if this is a good idea) because of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

37. Post #2677
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,933 Posts
    There was a part where the 3D looked pretty great, I think it was a shot where the camera looks at the boat sinking then turns to the lifeboat which makes it feel as though you are on it. How they managed to do that is beyond me.
    They pretty much 3D modelled the entire movie.

38. Post #2678
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    598 Posts
    Evangelion: 1.11

9.7/10
    One of the best anime movies I have seen in a long time. I usually don't watch anime, but this is really fucking good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #2679
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,920 Posts
    They pretty much 3D modelled the entire movie.
    I know, but not much of the 3D conversion was all that memorable or effective for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2680
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,201 Posts
    I know, but not much of the 3D conversion was all that memorable or effective for me.
    At least it wasn't as bad as Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace's 3D conversion.

There was ONE moment where the 3D worked for me and it was in the middle of the pod-racing scene when Anakin holds a metal rod towards the screen for 3 seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)