1. Post #6601
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,271 Posts
    yeah defo call shining overrated but i'll put that sucker on any day of the week.

Edited:

that waiter conversation in the bog is hilarious too.

"I CORRECTED HER"
    shining is not over-rated it still blows me away every time i watch it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #6602
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,806 Posts
    I love The Shining.

Kill me for saying, but the only movie Stanley Kubrick ever put out that I didn't really care for was Dr. Strangelove. I can see why other people like it, but it wasn't for me.

A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut are among some of my favorite movies of all time, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #6603
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,752 Posts
    The Shining is probably Kubrick's most flawed major film but it's still great and still a classic. It's getting a rerelease for Halloween due to a remaster. It's showing in a few cinemas here. Definitely gonna catch it.
    my cinema is doing a double billing of the Shining and room 237 for halloween, getting on that shit

Edited:

Not completely. They said that they wanted Alex to beat the shit out of them while singing, but they didn't have a song for him to sing.

Stanley Kubrick asked Malcolm McDowell on set if he could sing, to which he responded "a little".

He picked "Singin' in the Rain" on the spot and Stanley Kubrick bought the rights to the song that night.

Gene Kelly (the original singer of the famous song in the movie of the same name) and Malcolm McDowell never got along after "A Clockwork Orange" was released.
    TRY THE WINE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #6604
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    true, me too but when it's called the greatest "horror" flick.... i dunno. I just feel something different to "fright" tbh, can't explain.

TUESDAY

Edited:

I didn't really care for was Dr. Strangelove. I can see why other people like it, but it wasn't for me.
    Strangelove is cool. Wouldn't watch it often though (as in every year or two).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #6605

November 2010
    483 Posts
    that's why Stephen King was pissed off about it too, apparently in the novel you're not meant to realise that he would go insane.

I saw it a few days ago, ridiculously funny.
    It was a long time ago since I read the novel but didn't it start with Jack trying to recover from alcoholism and the history of his domestic violence?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

6. Post #6606
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    It was a long time ago since I read the novel but didn't it start with Jack trying to recover from alcoholism and the history of his domestic violence?
    yeah i ain't read the book yet, but apparently it was a lot different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #6607
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,827 Posts
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall 8/10

Quite funny, and altogether pleasant film to watch. Russel Brand is funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

8. Post #6608
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #6609
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    nah but this one time i feel he's right tbh

Edited:

not to seem as though i'd be gay for rusty, but who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #6610
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,682 Posts
    my cinema is doing a double billing of the Shining and room 237 for halloween, getting on that shit

Edited:

TRY THE WINE
    Ah yeah Room 237 is playing as well, dunno if there's a double bill but if there is I'll definitely see it.

Edited:

Gonna see it anyway of course but a double bill would own
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #6611
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,752 Posts
    Ah yeah Room 237 is playing as well, dunno if there's a double bill but if there is I'll definitely see it.

Edited:

Gonna see it anyway of course but a double bill would own
    I wanna hear about how people think Kubrick faked the moon landings

12. Post #6612
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,613 Posts
    I love The Shining.

Kill me for saying, but the only movie Stanley Kubrick ever put out that I didn't really care for was Dr. Strangelove. I can see why other people like it, but it wasn't for me.

A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut are among some of my favorite movies of all time, though.
    Well even if Dr. Strangelove isn't my favourite (I do like it). I still think Kubrick had huge balls making a dark comedy about the cold war during the actual cold war.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #6613
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,184 Posts
    Yellow Submarine

I can't rate it, but it's good. Seen it before as a really young kid so it was weird watching it now and having some idea of what was going on (although not really, it's fucking weird).

14. Post #6614
    I specialize in dogs fucking buses
    Dennab
    March 2011
    1,666 Posts
    Yellow Submarine

I can't rate it, but it's good. Seen it before as a really young kid so it was weird watching it now and having some idea of what was going on (although not really, it's fucking weird).
    Same here on everything. I grew up on that movie and just rewatched in the last few weeks. I was really bummed the day I found out it wasn't the real beatles voices though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

15. Post #6615
    October 2009
    1,292 Posts
    The Divide

8/10

Depressing but true film. Still don't get     why she didn't take her boyfriend and mickey with her    

also I had an idea about     the soldiers were actually the enclave from fallout, made a lot of sense; they were taking non-irradiated girls to repopulate? gah i kept thinking of fallout after she left the vault    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #6616
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,463 Posts
    Black Belt Jones.

10 sad fat guys outta 10.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #6617
    August 2012
    262 Posts
    When it comes to The Shining I will never understand why Kubrick though that the scene in which    Jack Nicholson's wife runs into that ballroom or whatever and there are SPOOKY SKELETONS everywhere    was a good idea.
    I mean come on, I don't think people found that shit scary back then, much less now.
    It just came off as campy and silly, almost managed to ruin a perfectly decent horror flick.

Edited:

Also The Shining and Strangelove are by far the most overrated of Kubrick's flicks, I'll take A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket over The Shining and Strangelove any day of the week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

18. Post #6618
    September 2005
    63,271 Posts
    Agree on Strangelove because it fucking sucks but Shining is on par with ACO and FMJ and I don't know if I could pick a favourite among them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #6619

November 2010
    483 Posts
    Wow, I thought I was alone in not liking Strangelove that much. Got a bunch of disagree and dumbs when I rated it 3/5 in this thread.

20. Post #6620
    September 2005
    63,271 Posts
    cuz it deserves a 0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

21. Post #6621
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    It just came off as campy and silly, almost managed to ruin a perfectly decent horror flick.
    what about the    running into the bedroom and finding a dude in a tiger costume?   . Thought that would be more obvious to target seeing as the camera zooms in quickly and you have that loud soundtrack.

That moment for me, was meant to be creepily funny. I think Kubrick had a lot of fun with the film, it's not like he liked to keep everything in the same key..

Edited:

cuz it deserves a 0
    ur a tit, strangelove is goodness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #6622
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,184 Posts
    Same here on everything. I grew up on that movie and just rewatched in the last few weeks. I was really bummed the day I found out it wasn't the real beatles voices though.
    Yeah, in fact that was the reason I watched it again, because it came up in conversation that it wasn't actually them and I had always just assumed it was because I didn't know better.

23. Post #6623
    March 2011
    3,003 Posts
    Prometheus 8/10

I really liked the movie. I just wish some things were clearer.
    And Weyland makeup looked like shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #6624
    November 2009
    6,827 Posts
    cuz it deserves a 0

no. dr. strangelove is one of the best black comedies of all time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #6625
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Mullholland Drive

That was by far one of the best movies that I ever saw, my mind was blown and I was simply stunned by everything. It has such a deep and interesting story, the movie plays with your mind. It does not simply give to story away right from the start. The acting is topnotch, so is the soundtrack. At the end everything makes sense. I definitly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in psychedelic movies.

10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #6626
    December 2009
    3,692 Posts
    Sideways 9/10

really liked it, quite different than i had imagined.

paul giamatti was superb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #6627
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    Children of Men

Wicked good movie.

The grim future established was really interesting, the soundtrack was ace, seeimg Michael Caine as a pot-smoking cheeky old man was great, and it really delivered some stunning scenes- I teared up on several occasions. Spoiler: This was my fav scene
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #6628
    OBLIVIOUS
    September 2011
    559 Posts
    Coincidentally Dr.Strangelove was on free to air tv today.
    I give it a 6/10
    It wasn't horrible and i found some bits quite humorous (particularly the phone conversations between the president and demetri). But it wasnt amazing either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

29. Post #6629
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    Mullholland Drive

That was by far one of the best movies that I ever saw, my mind was blown and I was simply stunned by everything. It has such a deep and interesting story, the movie plays with your mind. It does not simply give to story away right from the start. The acting is topnotch, so is the soundtrack. At the end everything makes sense. I definitly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in psychedelic movies.

10/10
    you used the words deep, top notch, psychedelic and mind blown in the same review.

It's too bad they're all cliched, but I doubt anyone understood that movie on a first watch...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #6630
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    Magic Mike - ohgodwhy/10

The acting... I don'- w- just nope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #6631
    November 2009
    228 Posts
    Safety Not Guaranteed

9/10

Great, simple movie. I love how they kept it so simple and honest when they could have so easily gone too 'indie' or hipster-y, especially with the time travel. Also, Aubrey Plaza is my spirit animal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #6632
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,971 Posts
    Today is Bela Lugosi's 130th birthday.
    Maybe I should watch Dracula again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

33. Post #6633
    August 2011
    157 Posts
    21 Jump Street 9/10
    I fucking love Jonah Hill, made me laugh hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events

34. Post #6634
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    you used the words deep, top notch, psychedelic and mind blown in the same review.

It's too bad they're all cliched, but I doubt anyone understood that movie on a first watch...
    Well a friend of mine suggested that we should watch it, we were classy in a lounge at his home while drinking some good ol' whiskey. After the movie we had like a discussion about the movie, he asked us what the movie is all about. Later on he explained some of the things and then it all made sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #6635
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    Later on he explained some of the things and then it all made sense.
    if you could tell us a few things you found out, it'll be helpful. :)

36. Post #6636
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    Men in Black 3 8/10

Was fairly standard in its plot but eh it's got Will Smith being Will Smith, something that I've been waiting for for far too long. And it redeemed the god awful MiB2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #6637
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Well, my english skills are not the best ones but I will try to do my best. Anyway the movie is about jealousy, envy, treason and despair. The movie has many little details and there are still some things about it that I do not understand.

Basically the story is about the girl Betty, she arrives in Los Angeles and wants to be a great actress. Her life seems like a complete dream, she has an awesome flat, a great casting, she looks good etc. Few days after her arrival in the city she met a woman in her own flat, her name is Rita. Rita had a car accident and well lost all of her memories.

Betty and Rita try to work out what happened to her and investigate the whole incident. This movie is really hard to describe due to all the details. So I just write it down in a few sentences

Betty is dreaming all the time and only imagining the whole story, nothing is true. It is only her imagination, due to drug use and major depression she imagines that her life is great and that all the other ones are evil. In her dream she is like an angel, almost perfect. In reality she lost touch with everything, she failed as an actress in Hollywood. Succumbing to the pressure and superficial society. Furthermore Rita was a sexual interest of Betty, both are lesbians until Rita decided to stop their romance to be together with some director. Betty is unable to accept such a thing and slowly dies in the inside, she cannot believe it. Rita had been successful all the time and managed to actually be a star in Hollywood. So after all, all the persons that you meet in the movie are characters that she meets at the very end of the movie where she is at a dinner with that director and Rita. She only inversed the whole story in her mind to deal with all the problems that she has. It is some real psychological stuff right there, she simply supersedes the whole story. In her jealousy and despair she finally hires a contract killer to kill Rita. After a while she becomes insane and is unable to cope with the guilt, thus killing herself.

The thing is that this movie mixes a lot of different things together without any chronological order. 2/3 of the movie is her dream, there are also many indications for it. Then at the very end you actually see how her life is. Then sometimes it switches back to her dreams, where everything is perfect. In reality it is the opposite. I hope this made any sense at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events

38. Post #6638
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    Betty is dreaming all the time and only imagining the whole story, nothing is true.
    first of all, i'd spoiler tag your whole post.

secondly... calling it JUST a dream is the easiest thing to do for a movie like this. Your conclusions, albeit intriguing haven't helped me, sorry. :)

39. Post #6639
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,841 Posts
    Prometheus 8.2/10

Edited:

Holy shit forgot about Killer Joe; 8/10
    Really amazing acting from Matthew McConaughey (damn his fucking last name is annoying to spell out) and I liked the story. It felt a bit cheap from time to time, though.

The trailer makes it out to be a lot funnier/more action filled than it is. It's pretty weird, dark and slow-paced, which I liked a lot.

40. Post #6640
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    Then at the very end you actually see how her life is. Then sometimes it switches back to her dreams, where everything is perfect. In reality it is the opposite. I hope this made any sense at all.
    you realise all of what you said could be the other way round? That's the messed up aspect of this movie that bends my mind.