1. Post #401
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts
    I saw like the first five minutes but then I realized I really wasn't in the right mood to watch it
    exact same thing happened to me. Supposed this "symbolic death" story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #402
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    A Clockwork Orange - 7.5/10

Production value's high. The surreal feel is well done, you can tell a lot of attention to detail went in to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #403
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Which Star Trek film is good based on you guys opinions? HBO has most of them on Comcast's On Demand for free.
    The Wrath of Khan
    The Search for Spock
    The Voyage Home
    Undiscovered Country
    First Contact(just barely, the story is decent but by God did they get the characters wrong)
    Star Trek XI
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,144 Posts
    Milk

10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #405
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,730 Posts
    A Clockwork Orange - 7.5/10

Production value's high. The surreal feel is well done, you can tell a lot of attention to detail went in to it.
    Gets better every time you watch it, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #406
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,312 Posts
    my Clockwork Orange dvd is broken.

fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #407
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,730 Posts
    L.A Noire- 9/10

Edited:

Hey, it was a very theatrical experience. It was shown at Sundance, I believe. That's good enough for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #408
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts
    my Clockwork Orange dvd is broken.

fuck
    my copy of Clockwork Orange on Video Cassette broke my Video Player.

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #409
    January 2012
    72 Posts
    my copy of Clockwork Orange on Video Cassette broke my Video Player.

:(
    Now that's hardcore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #410
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,336 Posts
    Martha Marcy May Marlene - 9/10

Absolutely beautiful movie in both it's cinematography and performances. Really slowly paced but I like that. It also had one of the most abrupt ambiguous endings ever.

The Woman in Black - 8/10

Expected a cheesy scare movie, which it is, but it also has a very good plot (being based on a classic novel helped in that regard). Seriously though it's pretty damn scary, probably the best of this kind of movie where things jump out at you. I saw it in a packed theatre and most of them were screaming bloody mary every time something happened.

The Muppets - 8/10

Dave Grohl is in it. Need I say more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

11. Post #411
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,184 Posts
    L.A Noire- 9/10

Edited:

Hey, it was a very theatrical experience. It was shown at Sundance, I believe. That's good enough for me.
    I'm actually playing that right now. Nearing the final homicide case. Does it get better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #412
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,363 Posts
    Begotten(1991)- I don't even think I can give this movie a rating lol

It's some kind of experimental, weird, I dunno it's not really fitting into any normal genre or anything. Kind of a surreallist horror I guess? But it definitely doesn't have the air of a horror film at all, more of an expressive kinda experimental type thing. There's zero dialogue, the only sounds are like footsteps and the moaning of Son Of The Earth and God Disembowelling Himself, as well as like squishing sounds from violence. Music's only used towards the beginning and to close (except that the credits are silent), but there's a constant sound of crickets. After watching the film I read a synopsis on what it's about since the whole film is massively symbolic and very clever actually. But I think the problem with it is that while it's attempted to be symbolic and still subtle, you just cannot pick it up unless you read it, although now that I know what it means I can understand everything.

It's not a horror despite being full of violent and disturbing imagery and a creepy atmosphere. There's very graphic violence in it, for instance the first few minutes of the film is the God character disemboweling himself with a straight razor right in your face, there's blood and guts and rape, but it's not really done in a scary way. It just kind of happens.

Also, the filming was really weird, lots of strange angles and shots, I have the feeling this was just done to create an atmosphere but at the same time it may just be amateur things because this was the director (E. Elias Merhige)'s debut. For instance there are lots of shots that just go on and on, for instance when the hooded figures attack the Son of Earth on the altar and it goes for an overhead shot as you see him writhing and they pull him away, it just lasts so long, the same for when you watch the people dismembering the Son and Mother- it's all done in one long handheld shot with occasional extreme closeups and stuff. And the whole thing is shot in really overexposed black and white reversal film.

If you want to watch it I'd say read what it's about so you actually know what's going on because otherwise you'll just be like "uh what" so I'm gonna watch it again later on now knowing what it's about and I feel I could be able to pick up what happens and the symbolism and shit happening. I actually really really like the concept but it's just SO cryptic you literally cannot pick it up unless you read a synopsis.

I can definitely see lots of people finding this mind numbingly boring as well, I wasn't really bored but I did check the time once or twice, I was actually fascinated by the whole thing, not so much drawn in but the atmosphere was very strange and I was just watching trying to understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #413
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,730 Posts
    I'm actually playing that right now. Nearing the final homicide case. Does it get better?
    I would say so. Get ready for some head scratching moments and one hell of a     plot twist.    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts

It's some kind of experimental, weird, I dunno it's not really fitting into any normal genre or anything. Kind of a surreallist horror I guess? But it definitely doesn't have the air of a horror film at all, more of an expressive kinda experimental type thing. There's zero dialogue, the only sounds are like footsteps and the moaning of Son Of The Earth and God Disembowelling Himself, as well as like squishing sounds from violence. Music's only used towards the beginning and to close (except that the credits are silent), but there's a constant sound of crickets. After watching the film I read a synopsis on what it's about since the whole film is massively symbolic and very clever actually. But I think the problem with it is that while it's attempted to be symbolic and still subtle, you just cannot pick it up unless you read it, although now that I know what it means I can understand everything.

It's not a horror despite being full of violent and disturbing imagery and a creepy atmosphere. There's very graphic violence in it, for instance the first few minutes of the film is the God character disemboweling himself with a straight razor right in your face, there's blood and guts and rape, but it's not really done in a scary way. It just kind of happens.

Also, the filming was really weird, lots of strange angles and shots, I have the feeling this was just done to create an atmosphere but at the same time it may just be amateur things because this was the director (E. Elias Merhige)'s debut. For instance there are lots of shots that just go on and on, for instance when the hooded figures attack the Son of Earth on the altar and it goes for an overhead shot as you see him writhing and they pull him away, it just lasts so long, the same for when you watch the people dismembering the Son and Mother- it's all done in one long handheld shot with occasional extreme closeups and stuff. And the whole thing is shot in really overexposed black and white reversal film.

If you want to watch it I'd say read what it's about so you actually know what's going on because otherwise you'll just be like "uh what" so I'm gonna watch it again later on now knowing what it's about and I feel I could be able to pick up what happens and the symbolism and shit happening. I actually really really like the concept but it's just SO cryptic you literally cannot pick it up unless you read a synopsis.

I can definitely see lots of people finding this mind numbingly boring as well, I wasn't really bored but I did check the time once or twice, I was actually fascinated by the whole thing, not so much drawn in but the atmosphere was very strange and I was just watching trying to understand.
    Is it better than Eraserhead. That's the question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #415
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,336 Posts
    The ending to L.A. Noire sucks so much dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

16. Post #416
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,363 Posts
    Is it better than Eraserhead. That's the question.
    I can't say since I've not actually seen Eraserhead, but from what I can tell there's a lot of similarities. I might watch Eraserhead now since I do have it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #417
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,730 Posts
    The ending to L.A. Noire sucks so much dick.
    I think the ending was almost great. It fell short because it just seemed to...well...end. I thought there would be more to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,336 Posts
    It just felt so rushed, like they thought "oh fuck we haven't thought of the ending yet just    make him die yeah that'll work   ".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

19. Post #419
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,184 Posts
    The ending's already been slightly spoiled for me, I know the final outcome, but I'm enjoying the journey. For some reason I feel like I'm missing things, characters come up that I'm sure haven't been introduced but they act as if they have. I accidentally skipped one of the "Cole's war past" videos so that might be the problem (the one where kelso's, I think, family were due to visit)

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts
    I can't say since I've not actually seen Eraserhead, but from what I can tell there's a lot of similarities. I might watch Eraserhead now since I do have it.
    it's pretty messed up too. I think it's Lynch's best.

21. Post #421
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,363 Posts
    Yeah so I hear. I loved The Elephant Man, it was way better than I was expecting actually. Amazing movie. not seen any of his others but I hear Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet are fantastic.

22. Post #422
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,727 Posts

Christ, I want to watch that but I don't think my emotions are in the right place at the moment. Even looking at the screenshot on the wikipedia page made me feel shitty

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts
    Yeah so I hear. I loved The Elephant Man, it was way better than I was expecting actually. Amazing movie. not seen any of his others but I hear Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet are fantastic.
    Some might hate me, but I didn't feel Blue Velvet all that much. It's a rare time when I say it's pseudo-artsy expression. And I like Terence Malick so I'm a hypocrite. :)

24. Post #424
    Resident Dick Master
    September 2008
    38,363 Posts
    Christ, I want to watch that but I don't think my emotions are in the right place at the moment. Even looking at the screenshot on the wikipedia page made me feel shitty
    When you feel like it the whole thing's on youtube in one video, worth watching for sure. I'm gonna have to watch it again at a later point. It's been going over in my head and I think it might have actually been great

25. Post #425
    January 2012
    31 Posts
    Some might hate me, but I didn't feel Blue Velvet all that much. It's a rare time when I say it's pseudo-artsy expression. And I like Terence Malick so I'm a hypocrite. :)
    I thought Blue Velvet was highly enjoyable both for its story and the way in which it unfolds, and its more personal and expressive elements.

Lynch has this way with moods, genres and ideas, where he can mix and combine radically different concepts into a single cohesive and often exceptional whole, and I felt Blue Velvet was the perfect example of that.

To each their own tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events

26. Post #426
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts
    I thought Blue Velvet was highly enjoyable both for its story and the way in which it unfolds, and its more personal and expressive elements.

Lynch has this way with moods, genres and ideas, where he can mix and combine radically different concepts into a single cohesive and often exceptional whole, and I felt Blue Velvet was the perfect example of that.

To each their own tho.
    Yeah, it might sadden people for me to experience that kind of thing.

It's just that when you're shown these interpretations, it seems copycat and unaffective.
    Compared to the "Three Colours" trilogy, where there is a lot of expression with colour, it adds tone to the scenes. With Blue Velvet, it kind of misses the point and makes the colour meaningless for me.

Just be glad I'm not calling it overrated.

27. Post #427
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,694 Posts
    Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - 8/10

It was sort of predictable at times, but really funny nonetheless. I expected it to be darker, but it was really much more of a gorey comedy than a funny horror movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #428
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,730 Posts
    Minority report 7/10
    Loads of little things ruined what would've otherwise been a brilliant movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #429
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    hahahahaha
    hey real steal may not be a masterpiece but it was pretty cool for what it was

Edited:

if you watch a movie for the CGI then you might as well just mute it

generic annoying kid
    generic hot girl
    generic main character
    sorry but I honestly don't like anything that I've seen at least a thousand times in other movies. and please don't say you liked that kid

can't argue with that, as bad as it is, it's sort of enjoyable

because, if a lot of people like it, it's totally good
    nope sorry you're wrong
    asshole main character that you genuinely warm up to (albiet the change is sudden and not natural)
    annoying kid that you also warm up to
    generic girl that doesn't even service the plot at all so lets just ignore her

but it actually did a lot of things well. it was compelling, it often had realistic cgi, and the plot I think went down a very interesting and different path than what you'd expect
    the pacing was well done, the cinematography was nice, the actors were pretty alright, and then, at the end, SPOILERS, they didn't even win the fight.
    hugh jackman DIDN'T get to keep his son. he sold his son and he can't go back on that regardless of what growing experience they had. you genuinely want them to stay together. but they don't, it's kind of a sad happy ending. it was pretty different for these kinds of movies. i liked that. it had a lot of cliches, but as far as the overall plot arch goes they kept them to a minimum. it was a cool, kid friendly action flick. obviously not deserving of the praise he gave it but it wasn't bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #430
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,694 Posts
    asshole main character that you genuinely warm up to
    annoying kid that you also warm up to
    tbh they're so generic that I can't feel anything for them

and the plot I think went down a very interesting and different path than what you'd expect
    it was the most predictable thing ever

the pacing was well done, the cinematography was nice, the actors were pretty alright
    I can agree with that

they didn't even win the fight.
    big deal
    everyone was cheering for the kid's robot anyway, it was just like Rocky 6

hugh jackman DIDN'T get to keep his son. he sold his son and he can't go back on that regardless of what growing experience they had. you genuinely want them to stay together. but they don't, it's kind of a sad happy ending.
    this is a part that I wish they had given more emphasis to. your points ARE right, but they showed that as "he doesn't get his kid, ok, whatever", so it was pretty meh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,692 Posts
    tbh they're so generic that I can't feel anything for them
    Generic as in easy to digest, or the "I've met these characters before too many times".

Either one says you're a doughtnut.

32. Post #432
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    This movie is pretty personal to me as I grew up in a post Khmer Rouge Cambodia during my childhood and although I was young, certain aspects of it have stuck throughout my life. So I thought I would make an efforts and do a relatively in-depth review. And here we go.

The Killing Fields is an important film. It tells the story of two journalists—one American and one Cambodian—struggling to stay alive in war-torn Cambodia. Of course, it tells a bigger story too, namely the result of the bombing of Cambodia by the United States and subsequent atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge: torture, slavery, brainwashing, increasingly indiscriminate murder on a mass scale. All very real and very terrible things. The film manages to tackle all of this heavy material without glossing anything over, (I'm looking at you Hotel Rwanda) and without making it so brutal as to be unwatchable.

Unfortunately, the majority of the acting and dialogue in The Killing Fields isn't quite good enough to do the aforementioned atrocities justice. That is not to say these aspects of the film are bad, they're perfectly adequate. I just wish they were as flawless as some enraptured reviewers would have you believe.

Ironically, (and perhaps even fittingly) it's the non-actor Cambodian children that give the most convincing, (and touching) performances in the movie. They may just be being themselves, but it lends the film an authenticity which few of the trained actors were able to capture with any consistency.

The cinematography is spot on. Brilliantly balanced and flawlessly framed, it's practically symbolic in a few shots. Just beautiful. All of the filming appeared to be shot on site, in Cambodia and elsewhere, a practice that the majority of modern directors seem to have forgotten about, which is a shame since no amount of CGI or special effects are as convincing as the real place. The sets look 100% real, nothing looks staged.

The music ranges from moving, to merely fitting, to downright strange and painfully 80's. Fortunately, there's more of the former than of the latter. With the exception of a few crude sound effects, The Killing Fields sounds quite good overall.

While important, The Killing Fields is unlikely to ever be a very popular film. While it's technically a "war movie" (in part) it never glorifies violence, or tries to make it look cool. There's plenty of violence, of course, but it's more of the uncensored 6 o' clock news variety. Obviously, the film also draws attention to a very dark page from the United States past, and raises a lot of uncomfortable questions, which is bound to turn some people off. However, for anyone mature enough to handle its subject matter, and empathetic enough to explore the wide range of emotions covered in the film, The Killing Fields should really not be missed.

7.9/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

33. Post #433
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    Watched this for the second time, it's beautiful and awesome. it was my first kurosawa film and finally coming back to it after seeing most of his other classics only reaffirms it as my favourite.

also I had tears in my eyes when kikuchiyo carried the baby out of the mill ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    chronicles of riddick 6.5/10

i love vin diesel even if he can really only play one role really well. just hearing him speak in certain parts makes me squee like a schoolgirl.

yes yes the film itself is pretty awful. there's loads of scenery porn, is semi trippy and it has vin so i'm sold anyways. i like to think of it as a sci fi movie with vin diesel, not a riddick movie. this movie is like paul ws anderson smoked crack or something or a bunch of things then watched pitch black and was asked to make a sequel (and during the making of said sequel was still on shitloads of crack or watevers)

i mean in
    some action
    sequences
    the cutting is epileptic,
    like some
    music
    vide-
    video

all in all it's a film i suggest you watch when you get high or something. the ending kinda sucks but in an awesome way. it's pretty awful i guess if you don't like vin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

35. Post #435
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,490 Posts
    The Big Lebowski 11/10.

Cult classic, 12th time watching it.
    If you haven't seen this film, there's something wrong with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

36. Post #436
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts

That is all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #437
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    that's not all. it's a really good song but it doesn't make the ending of that film any less atrocious, and an ending is integral to the overall film. it's absolutely retarded. ruined the film. average movie.

Edited:

that version of the song is different to the one in the film also
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #438
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    that's not all. it's a really good song but it doesn't make the ending of that film any less atrocious, and an ending is integral to the overall film. it's absolutely retarded. ruined the film. average movie.

Edited:

I found the ending to be surprisingly in keeping with the overall feel of the film. The build up including seurl talking about the sun, him slowly going mad, hinting at what may become of someone who has to much time to stare into the sun. Admittedly it did turn into a semi skimmed (if youl excuse the analogy) slasher, but Danny Boyle has done that with so many of his other films, take 28 days later as an example. And in any case i felt that even that had its place within the structure of the movie, the rise or crucendo to the final chord of a overture.

But as my opinion will obviously be wrong...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

39. Post #439
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts

Edited:

After watching event horizon for the second or third time i realized the ending is just a giant shout out to event horizon. also he is the physical embodiment of all the fears of the protagonist(s if you really think she was a big protagonist, there's even a different ending that's absolutely terrible where    the sun dude kills her just like that like fuckin nothing then there's some kind of stand off or sun dude stands over his shoulder as he activates the bomb or some shit   ). while the ending itself wasn't great think about what else really could have happened? it's well established in the beginning that they all get along well and while there are jerkasses and dipshits in the crew, there are no turncoats or zealots.

and how god damn predictable would it be if searle or the captain or one of the crew was a zealot, or if they converted slowly and all turned on one person (who would probably be cillian murphy).

personally while the ending isn't the greatest ending ever, it's the best one i can think of really. especially considering the fact that the film itself is quite groundbreaking as being one of those few actually pretty good space-ship thrillers. much better than event horizon or pandorium.

Edited:

also while that song isn't the theme (the theme is called icarus or main theme or some shit) it's a much more awesome version.

it's very post rock-y while the true main theme is pretty flat, no real crescendo or anything like that. i prefer it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

40. Post #440
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    event horizon is the bomb

Edited:

also absolutely no, not a chance is that version better than the regular one. not on your life, even slightly.
    saying that doesnt crescendo is just blatantly wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events